March 28, 2024, 05:47:38 AM

Author Topic: ARSENAL FORWARD  (Read 891633 times)

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: ARSENAL FORWARD
« Reply #5850 on: February 19, 2014, 02:34:13 PM »
Having a hard time understanding why Wenger would put Ozil up for the penalty kick when he's clearly struggling for confidence.  I'm also a bit puzzled by the choice of a 21-year old Alaba for the Bayern penalty... but admittedly I don't watch them like that to know who their penalty takers are.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/6jijkiAVHKg" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/6jijkiAVHKg</a>

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5851 on: February 19, 2014, 02:39:29 PM »
Looking at the team sheet, the most likely takers were Carzorla and Ozil (mostly for experience)
Since Carzorla has already missed penalties, Ozil was up next.

Edit: Ozil is terrible at penalties.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 02:42:38 PM by Bitter »
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5852 on: February 19, 2014, 02:42:34 PM »
Monreal selling guns!!! How you didn't pick up Robben is beyond me. Ozil looked like he didn't want to take it but he is the third choice (after Arteta and Giroud)...down a man and we still in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5853 on: February 19, 2014, 02:59:18 PM »
Bus crash.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5854 on: February 19, 2014, 03:18:02 PM »
Looking at the team sheet, the most likely takers were Carzorla and Ozil (mostly for experience)
Since Carzorla has already missed penalties, Ozil was up next.

Edit: Ozil is terrible at penalties.

I didn't see the miss in real-time but after seeing the replay and seeing Cazorla on the pitch, I was surprised he didn't take it. 

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5855 on: February 19, 2014, 03:19:15 PM »
Monreal selling guns!!! How you didn't pick up Robben is beyond me. Ozil looked like he didn't want to take it but he is the third choice (after Arteta and Giroud)...down a man and we still in it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Since Gibbs went off, Robben, Goetze and Lamm almost getting in each other way... fuss they eager to run at Monreal.

EDIT:  Koszcielny with the same foul on Muller as Boateng on Ozil... no penalty, because unlike Ozil, Muller declined the invitation to dive.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 03:21:08 PM by Bakes »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5856 on: February 19, 2014, 03:24:41 PM »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5857 on: February 19, 2014, 03:41:29 PM »
stupid, stupid arsenal. Absolute tactical amateurism. Can't believe a tactician of Wenger stature fell for Bayern trojan horse for the goal that seal off the game.

Allianz Arena will run red on the return.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline ckhan

• Hero Warrior
  • Pay Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5858 on: February 19, 2014, 03:42:24 PM »
MMAAANNNNNN, same result as last yr. Maybe I was asking for too much to hold on to that slender 1-0 lead. Well, unto FA Cup and League. Our defense held up very well for the most part so I am hoping that it can be transferred to league performances.

BTW, that dive comment: I doh see the likes of Rooney and Suarez decline ANY invitation to dive either....its part of the game.
If a free society cannot help the many who are poor it cannot save the few who are rich.

- John F. Kennedy

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5859 on: February 19, 2014, 03:44:26 PM »
MMAAANNNNNN, same result as last yr. Maybe I was asking for too much to hold on to that slender 1-0 lead. Well, unto FA Cup and League. Our defense held up very well for the most part so I am hoping that it can be transferred to league performances.

BTW, that dive comment: I doh see the likes of Rooney and Suarez decline ANY invitation to dive either....its part of the game.

You have to dive go to the ground or else like Muller you won't get the call.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5860 on: February 19, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »

You have to dive go to the ground or else like Muller you won't get the call.

If I am tripped, do I not fall?

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5861 on: February 19, 2014, 04:02:30 PM »

Well as was proved on Sunday... sometimes even when you don't dive and legitimately get clobbered over in the box, the ref still wouldn't give you the call.  Too bad Howard Webb didn't ref this game  Szczesny woulda stay in the game and Arsenal woulda have a goal kick.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5862 on: February 19, 2014, 04:06:07 PM »
If I am tripped, do I not fall?

First you have to be "tripped"... Ozil was not.  There was minimal contact as he tried to get past Boateng.  His next move was to immediately pick both feet up off the ground so as to ensure his body dropping faster.  His balance was never compromised... no trip.

Offline Dansteel - The Iceman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5863 on: February 19, 2014, 08:07:36 PM »
Tough luck Arsenal. A great start until Ozil penalty (we really need a new 3rd choice. This is the second time he has missed this season). After the red card it was just a matter of time. Was praying to hold out at 1-0 but not to be. Well done Fabianski.

Oh and Toni Kroos... :applause:
Victoria concordia crescit

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5864 on: February 21, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
First "Deathrun" completed. Only serious disappointment is the PL loss to Liverpool although the draw with United was not ideal. Time to rack up some more points. Hope Everton has snapped out of their slump and Don Vito doesn't play us with badmind tomorrow. Chelsea and City have not shown enough consistency to pull away from us so every point counts.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5865 on: February 22, 2014, 04:21:38 PM »
Nice win today. Hope Giroud is back in form now. With our 2 biggest goal threats injured we need him back to his best. Get well soon Rambo!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5866 on: February 25, 2014, 09:34:56 AM »
http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/arsenal/id/3463?cc=3888

Arsenal's title March
Posted by John Cross

This season's Premier League title race has developed into a war of attrition.

And even if the only direct title rival Arsenal have beaten this season has been Liverpool -- the Gunners have been beaten at Manchester City and held at home by Chelsea -- there has been few better teams at accumulating points.

Despite their poor record against the top sides, with just 11 games to go, Arsenal are second, one point off the top, and find themselves locked in a four way battle with Chelsea, City and Liverpool for the championship.

But after Saturday's trip to Stoke (no easy game either), they face what's being called as a nightmare run, which includes Tottenham away, Chelsea away, Manchester City at home and then Everton away.

That is a set of fixtures which should sort the men from the boys and, predictably, most pundits reckon it will sort out Arsenal too.

However, if you look at it another way, if the Gunners are still within four points of the top after that run finishes (which is well within their range) then they have a great chance of the title.

Their run-in to the end of the season is West Ham at home, Hull away, Newcastle and West Brom at home. Then also Swansea at home is to be arranged.

The point is that you don't have to beat your rivals to win the title. Arsenal have been very consistent against the lesser teams, putting them away week after week.

Last Saturday was a huge test against Sunderland after a gruelling and tiring week. The Champions League takes it out of you.

Yet they really put in a strong display, won 4-1 and boosted their confidence.

The reward was that Wenger gave the whole squad a couple of days off -- that's pretty unusual under Wenger -- to recharge their batteries.

Being realistic, Arsenal will be out of the Champions League, and only have the FA Cup to distract from the Premier League, but then that's only two more games if they can beat Everton in the quarterfinals.

Meanwhile, Chelsea are likely to overcome Galatasaray to stay in Europe. City have the FA Cup and another game to be rearranged because of the Capital One Cup final and it may be a fixture too far for them as they've already got another game to reorganise.

Liverpool have benefitted all season from not having European games as they look fresh each weekend.

The run-in will be vital. While the current Arsenal team might be new to all this, Wenger has been here many times before.

Wenger has the experience and a cool head and their run is favourable to say the least. They have more games at home, they have a nightmare March but a kind April and May.

Arsenal need to do what they've been doing all season. Stay within range, stay consistent and keep building up points.

Arsenal can win the title if they can just navigate that hard run. They've had difficult runs before but they've come through it. They can do it again.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #5867 on: February 25, 2014, 09:54:37 AM »
Arsenal is dead meat!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5868 on: February 25, 2014, 10:02:12 AM »
All that article do is make me watch Liverpool a little keener.

Arsenal likely to fold up... and then Chelsea and Man C battling on all fronts... this will be interesting.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5869 on: February 25, 2014, 10:09:39 AM »
Arsenal is dead meat!

Hahahaha! We go see. 11 games to go and we have been written off whole season, but we still here.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5870 on: February 25, 2014, 10:12:35 AM »

Arsenal likely to fold up... and then Chelsea and Man C battling on all fronts... this will be interesting.

People writing off Arsenal whole season, yet they right in the mix still. Why would they be likely to fold up now?

Liverpool have a fantastic attack and a fantastic manager but with that defence, they not going anywhere. I think 4th is the best they can do this season. But if they make it, and they fix their back line, they could make a serious challenge next year.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5871 on: February 25, 2014, 10:27:00 AM »

People writing off Arsenal whole season, yet they right in the mix still. Why would they be likely to fold up now?

Liverpool have a fantastic attack and a fantastic manager but with that defence, they not going anywhere. I think 4th is the best they can do this season. But if they make it, and they fix their back line, they could make a serious challenge next year.

Because they always do. I actually would like Arsenal to surprise and win it.
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #5872 on: February 25, 2014, 10:55:52 AM »

dey need to not lose the big games and as for chelsea, we very lucky to be top, veeeerrrrry lucky, we need strikers to start scoring and d team to click consistently
I pity the fool....

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5873 on: February 25, 2014, 11:11:07 AM »

They always do a lot of things that they haven't been this season. Signed big players, defended well, ground out results when not playing well. We will see. I don't think City and Chelsea are nearly as good as people seem to think. Nobody has been consistent in the league.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5874 on: March 02, 2014, 01:11:32 AM »
While the penalty was very, very soft, Arsenal didn't do enough to win the game. A very disappointing attacking performance. Wenger got his starting team wrong today and Chamberlain came on too late to affect the scoreline. 9 games to go. Time to go on a winning run in the league.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5875 on: March 04, 2014, 03:13:29 PM »
Interesting

http://espnfc.com/news/story/_/id/1734832/liverpool-chief-john-w-henry-admits-luis-suarez-did-release-clause?cc=3888

Suarez did have release clause - Henry
March 2, 2014

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez did have a 40 million pound release clause in his contract last summer but decided to ignore it when Arsenal tried to buy him, principal owner John W Henry has revealed.

Arsenal had as many as three bids to buy Uruguay international Suarez rejected last summer, including an offer of 40,000,001 pounds submitted on July 23.

That bid was made in the apparent belief that it would trigger a release clause in Suarez’s contract and allow him to enter talks over a possible move to the Emirates Stadium.

At the time, Liverpool insisted they would not sell the forward at any price, and would only inform him of any offers of more than 40 million pounds.

Suarez -- who was under contract until 2016 at the time -- stated publicly last summer that he wanted to leave Anfield, but his club’s refusal to consider a sale resulted in him staying.

The 27-year-old, who is the Premier League’s leading scorer this season with 24 goals, went on to sign a contract extension in December, committing him to Liverpool until 2018. Neither Liverpool nor the player have stated if the new deal has a buy-out clause.

At the time, Henry took a swipe at Arsenal over their pursuit of the striker, tweeting "What do you think they're smoking over there at Emirates?" as news of the bid worth one pound over the reported threshold emerged.

Speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference in Boston on Saturday, Henry said that Liverpool had been "forced" to sell Spain striker Fernando Torres to Chelsea for 50 million pounds in January 2011, but did not want to part company with Suarez.

"Luis Suarez is the top scorer in the English Premier League which is arguably the top soccer league in the world," Henry said.

"And he had a buy-out clause -- I don’t know what degree I should go into this - but he had a buy-out clause of 40 million pounds -- more than $60 million.

"So Arsenal, one of our prime rivals this year, they offered 40,000,001 pounds for him and triggered his buy-out clause.

"But what we’ve found over the years is that contracts don’t seem to mean a lot in England -- actually not in England, in world football. It doesn’t matter how long a player’s contract is, he can decide he’s leaving.

"We sold Fernando Torres for 50 million pounds. We didn’t want to sell but we were forced to.

"For the first time, we took the position that we weren’t selling.

"Since apparently these contracts don’t seem to hold, we took the position we’re just not selling and it’s been great for Luis, it’s been great for us, and what will happen at the end of year -- I think we’re going to make Champions League and we have a small chance of winning the Premier League this year.

"We have three gentlemen up front: Suarez, [Raheem] Sterling and [Daniel] Sturridge. Those three are young, and I think Luis and those three could be together for a long time."

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5876 on: March 08, 2014, 08:30:15 AM »
I don't know which of those last 2 goals was better. Slick passing.
I'll give Sagna's pass the edge because of the situation.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5877 on: March 08, 2014, 08:40:51 AM »
Tough loss, Mr. Lawrence.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5878 on: March 09, 2014, 10:29:14 AM »
Nicely done Gunners. Despatch both Merseyside clubs. Now for the winner of City v Wigan in the semifinal.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5879 on: March 09, 2014, 04:33:00 PM »
Nicely done Wigan. But they won't be as easy as one might think.

1]; } ?>