April 25, 2024, 02:15:35 PM

Author Topic: TT Referendum - Stop the Violence and Crime in T&T by voting online!  (Read 6325 times)

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
http://yestt.org/

Here's a link my pardner sent me from a while back and I always forgeted to post it.  It's a referendum regarding the crime and violence in T&T.  Voting will begin on the 24th of April, and will end on the 15th of May 2006.  It'll take a minute to vote online.  I'm not sure if it'll do anything, but yuh never know......

God bless T&T.....
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 11:46:17 AM by lickslikefire »

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TT Referendum - Please Read - http://yestt.org/
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 09:56:21 AM »
great...thks...i was wondering where to get the site...i just emailed to link to 98 ah meh peeps....
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 10:33:31 AM »

What is it about?

Post what it about so people know before they click it.

Thanks

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 11:47:27 AM »

What is it about?

Thanks

i just edited my post/title of thread.....hopefully it'll be more clear.....later......

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2006, 05:49:22 PM »

What is it about?

Thanks
THE KEITH NOEL CITIZEN'S REFERENDUM.......

all yuh have to do is hear d name Keith Noel...ah sure it making some sense now...
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2006, 08:32:35 PM »
all yuh have to do is hear d name Keith Noel...ah sure it making some sense now...

Yea it make sense now.

What is people reaction to that "movement".

They have plenty support but I get the sense the government not too happy about it.
Also got views from some who didn't seem to support it for various reasons.

Jury still out for me.  I following them in the news.
They involved with the new political party?

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: TT Referendum - Stop the Violence and Crime in T&T by voting online!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2006, 10:51:34 PM »
If anybody knows anything about this referendum, I would like to hear some feedback, cause I'm not well-informed about it at all.  I did some research and i came up with some interesting reads......it's a bit long but check it out.....

The Keith Noel 136 Committee - More white saviours

Posted By: News
Date: 6, July 05, at 12:06 a.m.

By Ayanna

The Keith Noel 136 Committee is everywhere. Its advertisements are in the print media, its website and petition are making swift rounds on the internet, its volunteers are seeking signatures from the general public by walking around knocking on doors all over the country and the print, television and broadcast media has dutifully been covering its activities every step of the way. There have even been a few letters to the editor in the print media commending the group for its stance and its decision to use a petition to appeal to President Maxwell Richards to "Do something about crime". Everyone seems to be casually accepting the group's intentions, motivations and the validity of its actions. It is such naiveté and ignorance that usually places people in a position to be taken advantage of where they end up endorsing moves and positions that they have not really thought out.

Several factors are at work here that are preventing people from questioning the motivations of this group and at the core of it all is 'good old fashioned' racism and white privilege. When whites in the elite business community first began calling on the government to "Do something about crime" a month or so ago, people will recall that suddenly the issue of hanging resurfaced, and in the blink of an eye Lester Pitman was served with a death warrant despite the fact that his case was currently under appeal. People with memories from a bit further aback will remember a similar scenario playing out with Glen Ashby. The whites and elites of Trinidad and Tobago practically threatened the government to do something about crime, or else. In a curious turn of events, at the very hour of Mr. Ashby's hanging, his appeal against the dismissal of a constitutional motion was being heard in the Court of Appeal. Although an agreement had been made that the State would not proceed with execution until all avenues of appeal were exhausted and an application for a stay of execution was sent early that morning (before the stated time of proposed execution), Ashby was inexplicably hung early. The similarities with the present Pitman case are startling. After Ashby's execution, the government was then applauded for doing something about crime, ironically congratulated for breaking the law and trampling on both Ashby's human rights and the course of the legal system. The connection between white pressure on the government and the carrying out of questionable executions of black prisoners on death row is apparent. Why then have so few if any journalists in the mainstream media highlighted it?

The Keith Noel Committee petition follows the same pattern. Criminal activity reaches a level where the whites and light brown elites feel their businesses could be threatened or one of their communities is directly affected and suddenly we hear the familiar clamour for action. Conveniently, an African male – Keith Noel, is killed and these same white elites annex themselves to his family, forming a committee, collecting signatures from Trinidad and Tobago citizens to petition the President to "Do something about crime". No one asks what such a petition is supposed to achieve, no one asks why such a petition is going to the President who really has no jurisdiction to implement crime fighting strategies, and no one asks what this 'something' that they wish the President to do actually is. The committee has made no specific recommendations for crime fighting initiatives, it has not made specific discoveries as to the reasons for the escalating criminal activity and it has not made any particular request whatsoever to the President.

Under any other circumstances, the committee would have been dismissed as a bunch of jokers who have proposed nothing and are engaged in an exercise in futility. Yet somehow in this case, their actions are lauded and given much mainstream media attention. Even those in the media whom I have heard suggest that maybe the petition is going to the wrong person, or questioning what a petition against crime is supposed to do exactly, have still managed to applaud the group for at least doing something and hoping that some good will come of the whole exercise. Now, if an African group had posed such a course of action it would have been dismissed out of hand as a fruitless and ill-conceived endeavour. The holes in the plan would have been clearly revealed and PNM stalwarts would have certainly tried to uncover a conspiracy between this group and the opposition UNC to embarrass the government. Similarly, if an Indian group had begun this initiative it would have also been dismissed as an effort to embarrass the country and discredit the PNM. But whites piggybacking on the misfortunes of blacks propose the initiative and they are commended for having the foresight to 'do something'.

Right thinking individuals should read the play by now and see that 'do something', of course, is code for hanging more blacks and Indians on death row, turning Laventille, Morvant, Arima, Diego Martin and Carenage into police states, having more police search homes of the poor and shooting suspected bandits (and former accomplices) with impunity; 'do something' is a way for the government to sell to people that it is addressing crime and has a clue as to what is going on in the country; 'do something' is a ruse, a general distraction that satisfies all the necessary elements and makes the country 'safe' again for the elite to carry on its white collar crime in peace without undue attention being called to its own activities. In Trinidad it suits everyone just fine that crime is only defined as the illegal activities of poor Blacks and Indians and being tough on crime means killing, beating and locking them up. And of course, it is these crimes that make for better sensational press items, make better fodder to emotionally terrorize a nation and bombard it with images of a nation 'suddenly' gone crazy because of the delinquent, poor, African youth. Crime does not apply to the whites and brown skinned elites of the country; it simply applies to everyone else. In this way 'everyone' wins; everyone that matters, that is.

The truth is that whites in this country are somehow seen as impartial, as credible, as those on whom 'both sides' can depend. They are supposedly above the racism debate, which has been confined to Africans and Indians. The Whites, Syrians and mixed groups are seen as the 'true' non-racist Trinis who go to cricket in the Trini Posse stand and advertise Carib beer in fun loving commercials. They go to Maracas Beach and eat bake and shark, play Mas religiously and patronize theatre and the arts. They control the business interests and so they are seen as being 'concerned' with the bottom line, so of course their motives are not questioned. They continue the construction of the white saviour / plantation owner who only intervenes in the squabbles of its slaves when it begins to affect his own great house and has all the impartiality of a supreme judge. The biological family of Keith Noel certainly did not question their motives or the futility of the exercise. Blacks are only too glad when whites appear to become their champions and appear to be caring about their issues. It gives the situation some validity, as if the big boys are now in your corner. They are quite content to be someone's pet Negro for a day and allow themselves to be used. This factor, in addition to the grief that I am certain the family felt at the death of their relative and their desire for some retribution and attention to be given to their plight, made them easy fodder for this group whose agenda may be anything but 'pure'.

When informed Africans speak of the lasting legacy of the plantation culture on the Caribbean psyche and the ongoing racism that governs our mainstream media, education system and legal system, people are quite willing to turn their heads and accuse us of being racist or living in the past. Yet here we see, as usual, the divisions between Africans and Indians benefiting whites as it always has. In an article carried on Trinidadandtobagonews.com, the question was raised whether, despite the media polls, the average Trinidadian is in support of the death penalty at all. The point was made that certainly UNC supporters who claim the ruling PNM to be racist and criminal would not support a PNM government having control over lives of so-called criminals, political or otherwise. Certainly, PNM supporters would not support the penalty under a UNC government either for similar reasons. I am certain that people can recall the furore that arose over the hanging of Dole Chadee and his gang and the insinuation that they were executed to prevent links between their activities and the then UNC Attorney General, Ramesh Maharaj from being highlighted. One rumour has it that the then Attorney General promised US authorities to have Dole Chadee and his gang executed in exchange for commuting the death sentence of his brother Krishna Maharaj (who was on death row in Florida) to life imprisonment. Following the execution of Dole Chadee and his gang, his brother's sentence was commuted.

In light of this history, let us now look at the current situation. In walks a white controlled group looking for political credibility and calling for 'something' to be done. They get mainstream media attention and thousands of signatures of ordinary citizens in support of their vague and ill-defined 'something' that is to be done against crime; a something that has the potential to become a very big something indeed, that the very signatories have not been made privy to, or have not even thought out. Is this an attempt to lay the groundwork for a group's political ambition? Is it an attempt to divert attention away from other pressing issues in the country? Is it an attempt to surreptitiously gather support for the death penalty? Is it yet another attempt to embarrass the country internationally? In truth, no one really knows and very few even have a good sense to be suspicious. Again, white over brown over black (and in Trinidad we can certainly add over Indian) applies and white involvement means ultimate and complete sanction. Naïve Africans, Indians, and mixed in-betweens across the political and geographic spectrum casually signed their names to a petition that says nothing, simply because people of the right shade peddled it. This group now has the nerve to ask for funds from the public to continue to fund its ad campaign against crime and I am certain they are guaranteed to get many naïve people to fritter away their own resources continuing the cycle of the resources of blacks funding organizations and moves that do not have their best interests at heart.

The more we continue to run from our racist and colonial history and pay lip service to the issues that continue to play out day after day because of it, we will simply remain naïve and vulnerable. Unscrupulous, malicious people will continue to do what they do best because they can and the big time criminals with the resources and political clout will continue to cover their tracks because they can. They will also continue to blame crime on those who are simply without the resources to cover theirs. It is not that the issues are so difficult to see, it is that prejudice and unaddressed racist and superiority and inferiority complexes prevent people from developing proper discerning powers. Naïve people who continue to leave their education in the hands of fools and casually accept the word of those who are supposed to be pillars of society will simply continue to be its victims.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2006, 11:00:44 PM »
i understand what the article is saying....but i trying to find out...what can we do to help out the situation....if anybody has any ideas give yuh feedback

there will always be someone berating these kinds of committees...and race sadly is always an issue in politics in Trinidad.....so what we go do....they might have "ulterior" motives but if it might help the crime situation a bit would it be worth it?

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2006, 08:56:23 AM »

It is hard to give this article credit when an underlying or assumed truth is that whites in Trinidad and Tobago are bad people and we should not listen to them because their motives are not pure and they are somehow trying to impose some kind of colonial era superiority on others.  Am I the only one that gets the impression that based on what is said here ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that comes from the white community should be trusted?  That they are trying to shift the focus from white collar crime to violent crime and pulling the wool over our eyes.
Can you give me the source of this article...be it on a forum or newspaper?

I can't understand why people try to insult our intelligence with statements like, "It is such naiveté and ignorance that usually places people in a position to be taken advantage of where they end up endorsing moves and positions that they have not really thought out."
And she goes on to talk about a superiority/inferiority complex with whites? steupse.

This factor, in addition to the grief that I am certain the family felt at the death of their relative and their desire for some retribution and attention to be given to their plight, made them easy fodder for this group whose agenda may be anything but 'pure'.

They get mainstream media attention and thousands of signatures of ordinary citizens in support of their vague and ill-defined 'something' that is to be done against crime; a something that has the potential to become a very big something indeed, that the very signatories have not been made privy to, or have not even thought out. Is this an attempt to lay the groundwork for a group's political ambition? Is it an attempt to divert attention away from other pressing issues in the country? Is it an attempt to surreptitiously gather support for the death penalty? Is it yet another attempt to embarrass the country internationally? In truth, no one really knows and very few even have a good sense to be suspicious.

Now, if an African group had posed such a course of action it would have been dismissed out of hand as a fruitless and ill-conceived endeavour. The holes in the plan would have been clearly revealed and PNM stalwarts would have certainly tried to uncover a conspiracy between this group and the opposition UNC to embarrass the government. Similarly, if an Indian group had begun this initiative it would have also been dismissed as an effort to embarrass the country and discredit the PNM. But whites piggybacking on the misfortunes of blacks propose the initiative and they are commended for having the foresight to 'do something'.

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2006, 10:19:27 AM »

It is hard to give this article credit when an underlying or assumed truth is that whites in Trinidad and Tobago are bad people and we should not listen to them because their motives are not pure and they are somehow trying to impose some kind of colonial era superiority on others.  Am I the only one that gets the impression that based on what is said here ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that comes from the white community should be trusted?  That they are trying to shift the focus from white collar crime to violent crime and pulling the wool over our eyes.
Can you give me the source of this article...be it on a forum or newspaper?

I can't understand why people try to insult our intelligence with statements like, "It is such naiveté and ignorance that usually places people in a position to be taken advantage of where they end up endorsing moves and positions that they have not really thought out."
And she goes on to talk about a superiority/inferiority complex with whites? steupse.

This factor, in addition to the grief that I am certain the family felt at the death of their relative and their desire for some retribution and attention to be given to their plight, made them easy fodder for this group whose agenda may be anything but 'pure'.

They get mainstream media attention and thousands of signatures of ordinary citizens in support of their vague and ill-defined 'something' that is to be done against crime; a something that has the potential to become a very big something indeed, that the very signatories have not been made privy to, or have not even thought out. Is this an attempt to lay the groundwork for a group's political ambition? Is it an attempt to divert attention away from other pressing issues in the country? Is it an attempt to surreptitiously gather support for the death penalty? Is it yet another attempt to embarrass the country internationally? In truth, no one really knows and very few even have a good sense to be suspicious.

Now, if an African group had posed such a course of action it would have been dismissed out of hand as a fruitless and ill-conceived endeavour. The holes in the plan would have been clearly revealed and PNM stalwarts would have certainly tried to uncover a conspiracy between this group and the opposition UNC to embarrass the government. Similarly, if an Indian group had begun this initiative it would have also been dismissed as an effort to embarrass the country and discredit the PNM. But whites piggybacking on the misfortunes of blacks propose the initiative and they are commended for having the foresight to 'do something'.

I believe the author is trying to convey the idea that white Trinis and other elites only get involved in these kinds of actions when it behooves them. If their community is affected or there is the possibility of their community being affected negatively then they see it fit to spearhead these kinds of committees.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2006, 10:34:10 AM »

I believe the author is trying to convey the idea that white Trinis and other elites only get involved in these kinds of actions when it behooves them. If their community is affected or there is the possibility of their community being affected negatively then they see it fit to spearhead these kinds of committees.

and this makes them evil people who should not be listened to?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2006, 10:57:24 AM »

and this makes them evil people who should not be listened to?

Not at all, but what is their motivation. Think about it though, here you have an almost invisible community taking the forefront in an issue that affects other communities disproportionately. Most unusual.  At the end of the day the crime situation cannot be resolved with these kinds of efforts. These things are just bandages on a festering wound. The issue of crime has to be resolved in a more systemic way. It is also a long term solution, not quick fix method will ever work in any meaningful way.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2006, 11:13:01 AM »
Not at all, but what is their motivation. Think about it though, here you have an almost invisible community taking the forefront in an issue that affects other communities disproportionately. Most unusual.  At the end of the day the crime situation cannot be resolved with these kinds of efforts. These things are just bandages on a festering wound. The issue of crime has to be resolved in a more systemic way. It is also a long term solution, not quick fix method will ever work in any meaningful way.

You really think it make a different when they make noise?  U feel people would welcome their opinion?  Think again.  They keep quiet because they face hostile reactions from a lot of people who don't want to hear anything from a white person's mouth.
It affects them now.  Is that not good enough reason to take action?
If they so much as make a peep before people don't want to hear them else you hear foolishness from people like ayanna going on about Colonial this and white supremacy that.  Do they really think "white" people in T&T studying that nonsense...come on.

The fact of the matter is a lot of people have a big ass rock on their shoulder and they don't want to hear nutten from no massa no matter what they saying or doing...positive or negative.
U mean to tell me the government wasn't complacent about the crime situation before..saying crime is an illusion and we have it under control?  This is a democracy and people have a right to advocate for their safety...be they white or otherwise.
What is this "other agenda" people whisper about?  To lock up all the colored people so they could go back to the days when they run things?
STEUPSE

Maybe is ok to hate on dem.  And we expect race relations to improve.
You cannot discredit a group based on their race and that is the main purpose of that article.  The article could easily have been written without the references to race to highlight disagreements with the methods but it wasn't about that now was it.

A.R.U.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2006, 12:09:52 PM »

You really think it make a different when they make noise?  U feel people would welcome their opinion?  Think again.  They keep quiet because they face hostile reactions from a lot of people who don't want to hear anything from a white person's mouth.
It affects them now.  Is that not good enough reason to take action?
If they so much as make a peep before people don't want to hear them else you hear foolishness from people like ayanna going on about Colonial this and white supremacy that.  Do they really think "white" people in T&T studying that nonsense...come on.

The fact of the matter is a lot of people have a big ass rock on their shoulder and they don't want to hear nutten from no massa no matter what they saying or doing...positive or negative.
U mean to tell me the government wasn't complacent about the crime situation before..saying crime is an illusion and we have it under control?  This is a democracy and people have a right to advocate for their safety...be they white or otherwise.
What is this "other agenda" people whisper about?  To lock up all the colored people so they could go back to the days when they run things?
STEUPSE

Maybe is ok to hate on dem.  And we expect race relations to improve.
You cannot discredit a group based on their race and that is the main purpose of that article.  The article could easily have been written without the references to race to highlight disagreements with the methods but it wasn't about that now was it.A.R.U.

It is impossible to remove race from the T&T scene.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2006, 04:41:06 PM »

True but you cannot demonize a group based on race...which is the purpose of the article.

If it were a group of non-whites doing the same thing (which is entirely possible since EVERYBODY is complaining) this author would not have said anything about race.

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2006, 04:51:37 PM »
i now checking the site...& this wmay sound nieve & ignorant but wha dey need donations for?  :-\
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 04:53:16 PM by scarface »

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2006, 07:49:21 PM »
well i stay quiet cuz i like to read pple reaction to Stephen Cadiz ideas....sad thing is it always comes to that he is a white man and "he only gettin involved cuz crime finally affecting the white pple".
Stephen has always been involved in community building behind the scenes...The only reason he first got involved is becuz his workers asked him to since he has the financial ability to do so and truly wants to see things get better at home.
whether yuh doubt he reasons for gettin involved is yuh own opinion but it shudnt mean yuh cant back it if u think is a good thing...
Jus my two cents!
Back in Trini...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2006, 08:43:29 PM »

Some people will believe what they want yes.

It comforts some to harbour hate and resentment to others.

Everybody might be guilty of this at some point or the other (hating JA teams) but when you start legitimizing that nonsense it becomes a problem. (Rwanda in the extreme case)

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2006, 11:43:50 PM »
I really dont believe that Ayanna wants to have a Caribbean Rwanda. Right Ayanna ???

Maybe I should give her the benefit of the doubt that she just calling them out to be more involved in things even when it doesn't affect them.
And when that happens she will welcome their input with open arms (I having a hard time believing dat doh  :-\)

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2006, 07:19:31 AM »
fellas we straying from de point of the whole thread......the thread has become a debate on an article I found pertaining to the thread.....

scarface.....yuh don't need to donote anyting...that's a more of a

http://www.trinidadmurders.org/UCanHelp.htm

kinda scene....

this referendum ting is just about voting and letting yuh voice be heard.....so it's FREE!....ah know trini like free ting...it will take like 2 minutes to vote online....voting started yesterday...and yuh never know it might do something.....

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2006, 07:28:50 AM »
A sample From www.yestt.org

IMPORTANT: If you are registered to vote with the Elections and Boundaries Commission (EBC) you will be receiving your official Keith Noel Referendum Ballot by post shortly. That ballot contains your unique referendum voter number (not your usual national ID number). You will need to use this number to cast a registered vote on this site. All official ballots should be received by May 15th.

If you do not receive an official ballot with your referendum voter number, please use the non-registered voting column on the right. You must use a valid email address for this to work.

Registered: If you have received your ballot via the post, please enter you number here:    

Enter Number    

Non-Registered: If you have NOT received a ballot via the post, please enter your information here and a confirmation email will be sent to you. Your email has to be VALID:

First Name :    
     Last Name:    
     Email:    
Constituency:    

Referendum Questions

Question #1: CRIME    Our Constitution states under the heading Recognition of Rights and Freedom - "the right of the individual to life, liberty, security of person and enjoyment of property".

Do you feel that your rights have been violated?

Yes                    No
Question #2: POVERTY    Poverty is hell... it affects all of us. The state has spent over 80,000,000,000 (80 Billion) dollars over the last 4 years and yet quality health-care and basic amenities are still out of reach for so many people.

Would you agree that your quality of life has worsened?

Question #3: LEADERSHIP    Crime, poverty, and poor level of representation, unemployment, substandard utilities and services, poor education, inadequate infrastructure, and lack of security have all been affecting our normal daily lives. Critical decisions on projects such as the proposed aluminium smelter plants, the Tucker Valley housing development and the stadium in Tarouba are being imposed with little or no public consultation.

Would you agree that there is a crisis of leadership in the country?

If YES - Would you demand a vote of no confidence in both the Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2006, 08:28:34 AM »

True but you cannot demonize a group based on race...which is the purpose of the article.

If it were a group of non-whites doing the same thing (which is entirely possible since EVERYBODY is complaining) this author would not have said anything about race.
[/b]

Perhaps, but its white folks and that make it a different dynamic. Although I felt the author was a bit harsh, it(the article) seemed more like a vent than anything else. Whites is T&T and in the Caribbean still benefit from the old colonial system and what is happening now in T&T vis a vis crime is affecting their pocket books(if not their person). If Africans and Indians were killing themselves yet not affecting the bank accounts I have to wonder if they would be so adamant about the gov't doing something about crime. I also have to wonder that if acts of violence only affected one particular community in our country would the others feel a need to advocate for a solution to the crime problem.

Anyway, regardless of motive(s) something meaningful needs to be done about the crime situation in our beloved T&T.

Peace

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2006, 08:45:26 AM »
If Africans and Indians were killing themselves yet not affecting the bank accounts I have to wonder if they would be so adamant about the gov't doing something about crime. I also have to wonder that if acts of violence only affected one particular community in our country would the others feel a need to advocate for a solution to the crime problem.

I could ask the same thing of those same Africans and Indians if the tables were turned.

Kidnapping    :whistling:

Anyway.  Dealing with the issue is important but these attitudes are a big part of the problem.

Many people(from all sides) will not support good initiatives because of who it originated from and that nonsense will not take us anywhere.

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2006, 08:47:55 AM »

Many people(from all sides) will not support good initiatives because of who it originated from and that nonsense will not take us anywhere.

Exactly..you make an excellent point there....instead of always focusing on what the possible motives of initiatives are let us start supporting them if they seem to be a step in the right direction
Back in Trini...

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2006, 09:04:10 AM »
If Africans and Indians were killing themselves yet not affecting the bank accounts I have to wonder if they would be so adamant about the gov't doing something about crime. I also have to wonder that if acts of violence only affected one particular community in our country would the others feel a need to advocate for a solution to the crime problem.

I could ask the same thing of those same Africans and Indians if the tables were turned.

Kidnapping    :whistling:

Anyway.  Dealing with the issue is important but these attitudes are a big part of the problem.

You're reiterrating the same thing the author is saying ie sound crime prevention solutions coming from certain segments of our community are in fact met with skectism at best and all together dismissed because of some perceived political agenda at worse.

As for the kidnappings, what is general sentiment of the T&T populace on a whole? I honestly don't know so I'm asking. I would hope that we would ALL be concerned about that.

Offline football prof

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 25, 2006, 09:49:23 AM »
I hate to sound so cynical, but a referendum on crime will not stop crime in T&T. Its a step in the right direction, but this will eventually lead to t&t citizens losing their democratic civil liberties.

What is sad is that the majority of people getting killed or being held responsible are black. Trinidad gov't needs to address why some of the black youth are prone to commit violence and crime.

Race and crime dont go hand and hand, but in a country where there is an equal representation of the majority, why is it that blacks are over represented in prison?

Institutional practices in the areas of policing and education needs to be looked at before we have crime referendums. For instance t&t gov't should look at policing, and question the amount of policing in black areas. Perhaps there might be overpolicing in black areas as opposed to Indian areas. This means that more blacks will be arrested than Indian. It does not mean that blacks commit more crime.
Also, education needs to be considered. Trinidad has one of the highest literacy rate in the caribbean. Maybe the kind of education that is offered, is having a negative impact on the self esteem of black youth. Don't get me wrong its only a small portion of the youth within the black community that is committing crime.

Overall, the black youth that are commiting these crimes are shown no hope from their peers, teachers, western media and sometimes family members. Crime within the black community is not a Trinidad problem, an American problem, or a Canadian problem. It is a global problem.  Wherever there is tremendous western influence you will find alarming crime rates in black areas. Check it out if you dont believe me!

1]; } ?>