April 16, 2024, 12:33:36 PM

Author Topic: The In Memory Of Thread  (Read 165038 times)

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: German 'keeper Enke commits suicide at 32
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2009, 09:34:35 AM »
Suicide is never a good option.  Now the family will suffer with the memory of this.
Very sad.

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2009, 12:03:14 PM »
It sad when people choose to commit suicide because they gave up hope.  RIP Enke.
You're partially right there is the hopelessness and despair but to say that it is a choice is incorrect. With a choice you're implying that there are options but in the mind of the clinically depressed there aren't really options. The sad part about this is that no one was able to recognize the signs.

Dumplingdinho

« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2009, 12:34:45 PM »
It sad when people choose to commit suicide because they gave up hope.  RIP Enke.
You're partially right there is the hopelessness and despair but to say that it is a choice is incorrect. With a choice you're implying that there are options but in the mind of the clinically depressed there aren't really options. The sad part about this is that no one was able to recognize the signs.

I don't want to make this thread into an argument but choosing to commit suicide is the act of choosing death over life.  I agree with you that depressed people "see" suicide as the "only" real option.  I have heard stories about people who wanted to kill themselves and once witnessed an incident where they change their mind the instance they put the act in motion.  One of my pardnas was depressed about losing his job and his gyul left him for his best friend, so de man was depressed and was talking about their is no reason to live and we try all kinda ting, we even encourage him to get professional help but yuh know in trinidad man doh do dem ting.  So anyway he jump in front of ah truck, luckily the truck avoided him.  Three months later he shot himself in de chest while we were sweating (he was gearsing up while we were playing), right after mih boy start to bawl he eh wah dead....luckily he survived and got over his depression.

Everybody does deal with depression differently and the only ting I could say is don't judge ppl on the chocies they make and always try to help when you see someone in a tough sitiuation.

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2009, 12:41:03 PM »

Sad news indeed for the family.

Not picking on you Nightmare or on the other posters, but ah doh think RIP should go to  someone who commits suicide.

No peace in that  :(
In Everything, Give Thanks

Offline benedicts bwoy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2009, 03:35:52 PM »

Not picking on you Nightmare or on the other posters, but ah doh think RIP should go to  someone who commits suicide.

Ehh......and why not?

Whether WE like it or not, he is at PEACE (with himself)!
Depression is ah serious thing that afflict so many of us but because we in Trini feel that WE doh need help,ie. see ah pshycologist of some sort, is ah stigma attached to it, please give me a break!

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2009, 03:41:12 PM »

Spoken like a true Christian

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 15, 2009, 04:38:08 PM »
Thousands attend Enke's memorial

More than 45,000 fans, friends and team mates have paid their last respects to Germany's national goalkeeper Robert Enke, who killed himself on Tuesday.

His flower-draped coffin was put in the middle of the stadium of his team, Hanover 96, for the memorial ceremony.

"Robert Enke will never come back to this stadium, the place where he conquered our hearts," Hanover 96 club president Martin Kind said.

(continue)
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline Zeppo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 15, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »
USA (and Hannover 96) fullback Steve Cherundolo was one of the pallbearers at the funeral today.
"Donovan was excellent. We knew he was a good player, but he really didn't do anything wrong in the whole game and made it difficult for us."
- Xavi

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 15, 2009, 04:58:02 PM »
SAD SAD STORYYYYYYYYY.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The death of Endurance Idahor
« Reply #129 on: March 08, 2010, 06:12:02 PM »

This Nigerian player dies while playing for a club side in Sudan. Taken fron www.skyscrapercity.com

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=1082297

By Wael Jabir
Mar 6, 2010 3:55:00 PM
 Photo GalleryZoom
Endurance Idahor - Nigerian Striker Passed AwayDuring today's Sudanese Premier League match-up between El-Merriekh and Al-Amal, Nigerian-born forward Endurance Idahor was rushed to hospital after a challenge from a fellow player left him on his back, unable to breathe.

Despite the teams' best efforts to see that the striker was given treatment as quickly as possible, the 23-year-old is said to have passed away inside the ambulance on the way to the hospital.

Players, coaching staff and the 30,000 supporters stood in disbelief as the referee whistled the end of the match.

Sources close to El-Merreikh Club revealed to Goal.com that the player will undergo an autopsy to determine the cause of death. Meanwhile, early medical reports state that a heart attack is the most likely cause of death.

The club released a brief announcement describing the player as "An example of a professional and committed individual and a symbol of loyalty" and added, "We will assure that justice takes place."

Endurance Idahor joined El-Merreikh from Nigerian outfits Dolphin in 2006, loaned to Al-Nasser of UAE for one season and since his return he became a key figure in the first team squad scoring over 67 goals, leading the club to their first CAF confederation cup final since 1989.

It remains to be seen whether the rest of week 3 matches taking place on Sunday will be postponed or not.

For the latest news and updates from Goal.com, follow our Twitter account

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Former J'can star Ken East passes away in the US
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2010, 06:17:05 AM »
Former star footballer Ken East passes
Wednesday, August 04, 2010

FORMER St George's College and Jamaica star footballer Ken East died last month in the United States, following illness.
East is the third former Jamaica footballer to have died in recent weeks, following the deaths of former Cornwall College and Jamaica player Billy Griffiths, and long-time sharp shooter Noel 'My Son' Tappin.
Born in 1929 in Kingston, East played Manning Cup football for St George's College and was a prominent member of the famous St George's Old Boys football team that was a dominant force in local football in the mid and late 1950s.
The team actually won every available trophy in 1958.
East was a standout member of Jamaica's team during this period as a centre forward (striker).
He was also a member of the only West Indies football team that toured England in 1959. The other Jamaican members of that team were Karl 'Digger' Largie (St George's Old Boys), Owen Parker (YMCA), Sydney 'Syddie' Bartlett (YMCA), Anthony Hill (St George's Old Boys), and Walter 'Wally' Chevannes (Melbourne).
Incidentally, the West Indies team also included Alvin Corneal of Trinidad & Tobago, who later became that country's national football coach, having also played cricket for his country, and Willie Rodriquez, another Trinidadian, who also played cricket for the West Indies.
East joins Largie and Frank Watkins as members of the famous St George's Old Boys team who have died. Apart from those three who all played for Jamaica, other members of that team who donned the national colours were Maurice 'Bobby' Williams, Denzil Lue, Anthony Hill, Frankie Lewis and Aubrey Lowe.
A funeral service for his life was held on July 15 at the Holy Cross Roman Catholic Church, North Carolina, USA, where he lived since he moved to that country in 1965.
He leaves wife Shirley, five daughters, one son, and several grand and great grand children.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Wales football manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42.
« Reply #131 on: November 27, 2011, 08:09:46 AM »
Wales football manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42.
By: BBC News.

The Football Association of Wales (FAW) has told the BBC it appears Speed, the national manager for nearly a year, killed himself.

Cheshire Police confirmed he was found dead at 07:08 GMT at his home in Huntington, Chester. They said there were no suspicious circumstances.

First Minister Carwyn Jones called it "devastating news" and said he was deeply saddened.

Robbie Savage

Former team mate, on Twitter

He said: "Our thoughts are with his family at what must be a very difficult time for them."

The FAW said: "We extend our sympathies and condolences to the family.

"We ask that everyone respects the family's privacy at this very sad time."

The FAW added: "That this tragedy should have overtaken someone so young and talented is a huge loss not only for his family and friends but a nation as a whole."

Speed, who was awarded the MBE in the 2010 Birthday Honours for his services to football, leaves a wife and two children.

Phil Pritchard, FAW president, said they would do "whatever we can" to help Speed's family.

In a statement, Cheshire Police said: "At 7.08am on Sunday 27th November Cheshire Police was informed of a sudden death at an address in Huntington in Chester.

Speed signed for Newcastle for £5.5m in 1998
"Officers went to the scene where a 42-year-old man was found dead.

"The next of kin have been informed and have confirmed the identity of the man as Gary Speed.

85 caps

"There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding the death and the family have requested that they are left in peace to grieve at this difficult time.

Police said a family tribute will be issued later.

Speed had appeared on BBC1's Football Focus show on Saturday afternoon, just hours before his death.

Footballers and celebrities began issuing tributes within minutes of the news.

Former Wales team mate, Robbie Savage, Tweeted: "The world has lost a great man in Gary speed I'm devastated spoke to him yesterday morning why ! Why. Why !! I'll miss him so much x

"He come to watch strictly 3/4 weeks ago I high fived him in the front row he loved the show ,he loved life he loved his family ! Devastated".

Speed, born in Mancot, Flintshire, took over the Wales job in December 2010, and earlier this month, said the side's rapid improvement had exceeded all expectations.

A 4-1 friendly win over Norway represented a third successive win for Wales, and Speed's fifth in 10 games as manager.

At the time, he said: "We've progressed further than I'd have thought in this space of time but we've still got a lot of work to do."

'Stunned and saddened'

Speed won 85 caps for his country during a 14-year international career.

He was given the top job in Welsh football despite only having four months managerial experience.

Speed began his playing career at Leeds United after coming through the trainee ranks, and was part of the side that won the last Football League title in 1992, before the introduction of the Premier League.

A Leeds spokesman said the club was "stunned and saddened" by the news.

He was handed his Wales debut as a 20-year-old in the 1-0 friendly win over Costa Rica in May 1990.

He left Leeds in 1996 after 312 appearances to join Everton - who he went on to captain - in a £3.5m move.

Seven goals

Newcastle followed, in a £5.5m switch in 1998. During his six years with the Magpies, he suffered two FA Cup final defeats, but enjoyed a taste of Champions League football.

He then spent four years with Bolton Wanderers after agreeing a £750,000 move.

Speed became the first player to reach 500 Premier League appearances.

He retired from international duty in 2004, having scored seven goals and captaining his country 44 times.

Speed's final appearance came in 3-2 World Cup qualifying defeat by Poland in October 2004.

His tally of 85 caps is a record for an outfield player.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 08:16:10 AM by FireBrand »
Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Wales football manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42.
« Reply #132 on: November 27, 2011, 08:14:02 AM »
Very sad. Just yesterday he was a guest on BBC's football focus and seemed fine. RIP.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #133 on: November 27, 2011, 08:35:47 AM »
geez...absolutely gobsmacked...loaded up my BBC page, looked up and my food just fell out my mouth after reading the headline.
I always liked him cause he was an absolute professional...and the man now seemed to get Wales back on track.
I know they say it looks like suicide but i hope they're wrong
RIP Gary..my sympathies goes out to his family
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2011, 09:23:46 AM »
Feel absolutely sick about this.

Not for anybody to understand but it seemed like he had everything. A gigantic player, ever a problem and now getting Wales to look like a good side.

too sad for words
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 27, 2011, 09:29:46 AM »
It simply does not make sense

RIP

shocked to the core with this

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 27, 2011, 09:42:55 AM »
ah wonder wah de hell was so bad dat made him kill himself( if dats the case n wasn't some accident fall n hit ah head thing) and leave behind his children and dem...not like Wales was doin bad they've been playin some of their best football in years!. if was some kinda foolishness den he's ah rhel ass
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 27, 2011, 10:16:55 AM »
ah wonder wah de hell was so bad dat made him kill himself( if dats the case n wasn't some accident fall n hit ah head thing) and leave behind his children and dem...not like Wales was doin bad they've been playin some of their best football in years!. if was some kinda foolishness den he's ah rhel ass

The man was probably clinically depressed and it is public sentiments like yours that probably hindered him from seeking help.

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 27, 2011, 10:18:36 AM »
Very sad news. I remember him during his playing days with Leeds.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 27, 2011, 10:21:38 AM »
sad and sicken by this news.Condolences to his wife and 2 kids

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 27, 2011, 10:52:08 AM »
Unbelievable. Just goes to show that you have no idea what demons are running through someones head when you're watching them behaving quite normally. A sad loss to the world of football and specifically, Welsh football. R.I.P. Speedy.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 27, 2011, 11:18:03 AM »
Unbelievable. Just goes to show that you have no idea what demons are running through someones head when you're watching them behaving quite normally

This. You just never know. RIP  :(

giggsy11

« Reply #142 on: November 27, 2011, 11:18:10 AM »
WOW and sad! Totally unexpected headline! Apparently he hanged himself.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 11:30:11 AM by Giggsy11 »

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 27, 2011, 11:28:36 AM »
MEP, I second your sentiment in response to Mad Ras 13's ridiculous comment...

giggsy11

« Reply #144 on: November 27, 2011, 11:33:19 AM »

The man was probably clinically depressed and it is public sentiments like yours that probably hindered him from seeking help.

Just last week a German ref attempted suicide due to feelings of depression and the pressure of not wanting to make a mistake as a ref.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 27, 2011, 11:38:15 AM »

Just last week a German ref attempted suicide due to feelings of depression and the pressure of not wanting to make a mistake as a ref.

Don't forget Robert Enke: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/8353733.stm

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 27, 2011, 11:40:25 AM »
Exactly. Clinical depression is a serious disease and those who suffer from it should be treated with respect - not made the butt of primitive commentary.

giggsy11

« Reply #147 on: November 27, 2011, 11:58:31 AM »
With all due respects to the loss suffered by his family his hanging could also have been accidental .

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 27, 2011, 11:58:42 AM »
Stunned and saddened by this... heartfelt condolences to his family.  May his soul now find the peace that he found so elusive in this life.

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 27, 2011, 12:07:04 PM »
The police are treating it as a suicide...

1]; } ?>