April 18, 2024, 12:29:26 AM

Author Topic: The In Memory Of Thread  (Read 165129 times)

Offline socachynee

• Sr. Warrior
  • goals win games
    • View Profile
Re: Ian Poterfield Dies at 61
« Reply #60 on: September 12, 2007, 08:26:11 AM »
RIP

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 12, 2007, 12:10:58 PM »
D TTFF like FIMA dey always late they go sent condolences after he bury or cremate
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: September 12, 2007, 12:42:54 PM »
wow! when did this happen? rip

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: September 12, 2007, 12:47:55 PM »
i really enjoyed that pperiod in 2000, when we seemed unbeatable. i'm sorry that it did not go into 2001

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2007, 12:56:42 PM »
RIP MR PORTERFIELD AND THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!

It seems as though destiny has led us back to Sunderland hmmm

They have done a tribute to him apparently: http://www.safc.com/

http://www.safc.com/news/?page_id=13142

Club to celebrate a true legend
Sunderland will celebrate the life of Ian Porterfield before their Barclays Premier League game against Reading at the Stadium of Light on Saturday.

The flags are flying at half-mast outside the SoL as Wearside remembers a true legend - scorer of that famous match-winning goal in the 1973 FA Cup Final.

Porterfield sadly passed away yesterday after a battle against colon cancer.

The club has designated the Bob Stokoe statue outside the Stadium of Light as the most poignant place for fans to place their tributes to Porterfield.

And his life will be celebrated this weekend when members of the 1973 team - Micky Horswill, Jim Montgomery, Bobby Kerr, Dick Malone, Ritchie Pitt, Ron Guthrie, Dennis Tueart, Billy Hughes and David Young - join the Sunderland and Reading players around the centre-circle for a period of applause before the game.

Brian Moore's famous commentary on Porterfield's goal in the 1973 Cup Final will be played over the stadium's PA system before the period of applause.

Micky Horswill, a close friend of Porterfield and also member of the '73 team, has many abiding memories of his ex-team-mate.

He said: "Ian was always the consummate professional. I always remember that he would often pull me to one side after training and say to me, 'Micky, win the ball, give it to me and we'll win more matches than we'll lose'.

"That always used to make me laugh, but his advice was spot on. We had a great relationship and we had a fantastic team back then - but even in those days you could always tell that out of the whole side, Ian would be the one that would go into management. He was a leader and he gave his life to football.

"He loved the people at Sunderland and he so loved playing for the club. Saturday will hopefully provide a fitting way for fans to pay their tributes because he's a massive part of the club's history."

Porterfield played for Reading during his career and he also managed the Royals from 1989-91.

Players from both sides will wear black armbands, while before kick-off (at about 1.30pm) it is expected that some of the members of the 1973 team will pay their own respects to the tributes left by fans at the Stokoe statue.

Sunderland chairman Niall Quinn said: "That team of 1973 is the most famous in this club's history and Ian will be forever remembered for that memorable goal.

"But Saturday will be about celebrating Ian's life, his achievements for Sunderland football club, and will give all supporters a chance to remember him in the most fitting way."

*Porterfield will again be remembered when the club continues its tradition of observing a period of silence before the last home game of each year, in memory of fans and former Sunderland players who have passed away during that year.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 01:01:52 PM by Midknight »
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2007, 01:01:54 PM »
R.I.P. Coach Poterfield

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2007, 02:31:21 PM »
 Shocker !!! CONDOLENCES TO HIS FAMILY!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
R.I.P. Coach Poterfield

Oh lord alyuh, change the title just now the man who carving the tombstone will get Porter's name wrong...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Madd Ras#13

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: September 13, 2007, 07:17:36 AM »
R.I.P...cyah forget dah 1-0 win against mexico
all dat is necessary is necessary

Offline Phensic

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: September 13, 2007, 01:51:30 PM »
Dat real shock meh! My sincere condolences to his family and love ones...RIP Coach.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: September 13, 2007, 08:30:26 PM »
god bless

ah remember playing a gig in pelican and bringing Porterfield on stage to the delight of the crowd....

plus i limed and talked to him many times...ah real "football man "..

rest in peace..
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: September 14, 2007, 06:46:32 AM »
Keane: Win it for legend Porterfield

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/7223936

Roy Keane is backing the spirit of 1973 to help Sunderland turn around their Premier League campaign following the death of Ian Porterfield.

Memories of perhaps the greatest day in the club's history will echo around the Stadium of Light ahead of the clash with Reading and Wearside rises to pay its respects to FA Cup final hero Porterfield.

Porterfield, the man whose goal at Wembley shot down Don Revie's Leeds superstars 34 years ago and wrote him into the city's folklore, died at a Surrey hospice on Tuesday evening.

Ten of the men who walked out alongside him that day - Micky Horswill, Jim Montgomery, Bobby Kerr, Dick Malone, Ritchie Pitt, Ron Guthrie, Dennis Tueart, Billy Hughes, Vic Halom and David Young - will join the players of both sides on the pitch to observe a moment of applause in recognition of a career which also took him to Reading as both player and manager.

Keane will not allow his players to be caught up in the emotion of the tribute, but will tell them that there could be no better way to celebrate the life of a club legend than ending a run of four successive defeats with three precious points.

He said: "Over the years, there have been many occasions where you give a minute's silence or there's a minute's applause.

"It's a case of showing your respects, but the other side of it is you are a professional footballer and you have got to switch on pretty quickly.

"It's important that the club make the effort and the players and we all show our respects, of course.

"But when the whistle goes, you have to stay focused on the job at hand - I'm sure that's what Ian would have wanted, and I'm sure his family and our supporters.

"You pay your respects and then you get focused on trying to win the game of football. That would be the best way to pay our respects, by winning."

Porterfield's death after he finally lost his battle against colon cancer put a difficult week for Keane into perspective.

He has lost both first-choice wide men with Kieran Richardson joining hamstring victim Carlos Edwards on the sidelines, in his case, for up to three months with a stress fracture of the back.

In addition, new signing Andrew Cole will have to delay his senior debut for the club for several weeks because of a calf injury, and with Dean Whitehead and Stanislav Varga both out for several months, a squad boosted by 12 summer arrivals has been depleted once again.

That, coupled with successive league defeats by Wigan, Liverpool and Manchester United either side of the Carling Cup humiliation at Luton, has left Keane - who has never in his career experienced a run of four defeats - in uncharted territory.

However, he is refusing to be bowed by the task which lies ahead.

Keane said: "You stay positive and stay focused on the job in hand.

"The priority, of course, is our league matches - we try to write off the cup game, as much as it was a disappointment.

"It was always going to be a difficult start for us, but you stay focused, you look at the people you are working with, you look at the support we have, I look at the players, and it's quite easy to stay positive, I have to say.

"The players are not daft, of course they know that if we want to be anything as a football club, then we have to win a lot of our home games.

"The players are well aware of that, but like last year when every game seemed to be a must-win situation, I never picked up any sort of tension or nervousness from the players, and I haven't done that either at this moment in time."

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 14, 2007, 07:21:58 PM »
Yeah Dwight score 1 in d man memory
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 15, 2007, 05:32:27 PM »
RIP Porters.  You put in the foundation.

Thanks.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2007, 06:25:51 PM »
I have to admit...I really didn't know much about Porterfield's professional career before he took over the helm of the Soca Warriors.  Once there I never cared enough to learn more about his background...but I have to say, I have really been impressed by the outpouring of support from the English footballing community for Porters.  He got a nice moment of applause before the Chelsea v. Bolton game...and his 1973 teammates were at the Stadium of Light to help honor his memory before the Sunderland game against Reading.

Offline StoreBayLimer

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 16, 2007, 12:41:47 AM »

The way people and communities are connected always makes one wonder. Of the many possibilities … this is this way and that is another way.   It must be coincidental, right. 

I too was surprised to see and learn how much Porterfield is admired by the footballing community in England. And to know  that he also touched our football. That is something special.

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 21, 2007, 07:53:43 AM »
RIP Ian Porterfield

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI

Offline takenoprisoners

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Football icon Brian Budd passes away
« Reply #77 on: June 12, 2008, 12:45:37 PM »
Canadian soccer icon Brian Budd passes away
Last Updated: Thursday, June 12, 2008 | 11:55 AM ET

John F. Molinaro CBC Sports

Former Canadian soccer player Brian Budd passed away late Wednesday night.

He was 56. Budd was found collapsed at his Toronto home, but the cause of death was not immediately known.

He is survived by his wife Brenda, and his son and daughter.

Budd was best known for winning ABC's World Superstars championship, a televised competition in which accomplished athletes from different sports competed in a variety of athletic challenges.

He won the competition three years in a row from 1978 to 1980, beating out such accomplished athletes as United States Olympic pole vault champion Bob Seagren and NFL star Greg Pruitt.

His domination of the competition led to ABC establishing the Budd rule, which barred anyone from taking part in the event after winning it three times.

Over the past several years, Budd rose to fame as a broadcast analyst for The Score, an all-sports cable network based in Toronto, where he entertained viewers with his loud and passionate rants about the game.

But colleague James Sharman said Budd, known as "Budgie" to his close friends, also had a quiet side.

"Behind the gregarious and loud behaviour was a guy who had a heart of gold and someone who was deeply passionate about soccer," Sharman, a soccer commentator at The Score, told CBCSports.ca.

Like a 'strong gust of wind'

"He never had a bad word to say about anybody."

Sharman worked alongside Budd for several years at The Score, playing the straight man to Budd's John Madden-esque persona.

"Budgie never walked into a room, he blew into it like a strong gust of wind. The world will be a much more quiet place with Budgie gone," quipped Sharman.

Born in Toronto and raised in Vancouver, Budd played seven seasons in the old North American Soccer League from 1974 to 1980 with several clubs, including the Toronto Blizzard and Vancouver Whitecaps.

In addition to playing in indoor soccer with the Cleveland Force and Baltimore Blast in the Major Indoor Soccer League, Budd scored two goals in seven games for the Canadian national team, including one against the United States in 1976 in a World Cup qualifying game.

Following his retirement, Budd served as a regular colour commentator for Toronto Blizzard radio and television broadcasts in the early 1980s.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/soccer/story/2008/06/12/soccer-brian-budd.html

Sad news , will miss him on The Score , condolences to his family.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 04:52:07 PM by TakeNoPrisoners »

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Brazilian player brutally murdered
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2008, 12:54:09 PM »
And I thought my ex was a beatch... Maybe he needed to break up via Text message.

Brazilian player brutally murdered
By Anthony Sormani, Special to SI.com, Goal.com
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/soccer/09/25/brazilian.murdered/index.html?cnn=yes

Brazil is in mourning after former Vasco de Gama player Thiago da Silva was brutally tortured and murdered, allegedly by hired assassins on the orders of his ex-girlfriend.

Da Silva, 25, who had been playing for second-division team Estacio de Sa Soccer Club, died in a Rio de Janeiro hospital Wednesday night, six days after being mortally shot in an attack by three men on a soccer field.

According to reports from the local police, the instigator of the crime is da Silva's former girlfriend.

Before he passed away, da Silva was able to tell the police that he had fallen into a trap last Thursday evening, shortly after discussing the end of his relationship with his girlfriend, Alyne Padula.

The former Vasco player was overwhelmed by three people (including a member of the military police), all of whom are friends of the girl's aunt.

He was handcuffed, beaten and tortured. When he tried to flee he was hit by three bullets.

Both the former girlfriend and her aunt, Marcia Padula Viana, were arrested on Sunday as instigators of the crime, and accused of hiring the assassins to kill da Silva.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brazilian player brutally murdered
« Reply #79 on: September 25, 2008, 01:45:41 PM »
Takin a Woman scorn 2 new levels

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 25, 2008, 02:10:16 PM »
Now that's just f*cked up...

RIP boss...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 25, 2008, 02:13:21 PM »
cold hearted woman.maybe de boy was hornin.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 25, 2008, 02:15:31 PM »
cold hearted woman.maybe de boy was hornin.

brutally murdered for hornin' ?

That's a fine that don't fit the crime if yuh asked me...
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline kaliman2006

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2008, 02:48:34 PM »
That is very, very sad and unfortunate.

RIP

Offline TriniItalian

• Sr. Warrior
  • Never Wait to Procrastinate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2008, 02:58:31 PM »
Anybody see the video for "Flashing Lights"? that's what Kanye was talking bout "I never thought that you would take it this far... what do I know?" he saw three flashing lights
A.W.A.T.T. INFORMANT

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 25, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »
Brazil police are a notorious bunch!!!

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The In Memory of Thread (Red, White, & Black)
« Reply #86 on: May 04, 2009, 08:54:30 AM »
from an email distro i on.

RIP. i go never forget de day he make moh vomit up mih vienna sausage breakfast after a training session.

Sent: Sunday, 3 May, 2009 20:43:56
Subject: RE: Roy Jagroopsingh

All : I am sorry to report the passing away of our beloved Roy Jagroopsingh
(former teacher, sports master and past president of NCOBA). He died at
about 5 pm this afternnon and I just returned from the home. I will keep
you all posted on funeral arrangements as soon as I receive same.

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Former Naps Sportsmater Roy Jagroopsingh Pass Away
« Reply #87 on: May 04, 2009, 09:47:18 AM »
I heard this yesterday too
RIP Roy

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 04, 2009, 09:57:24 AM »
Heard this this morning.  :( He was a very good Geography teacher as well.
RIP and thoughts are with his family at this time

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 04, 2009, 11:00:39 AM »
Oh woww condolenses

1]; } ?>