March 28, 2024, 03:19:48 AM

Author Topic: The In Memory Of Thread  (Read 164055 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The In Memory Of Thread
« Reply #900 on: February 09, 2023, 07:11:10 AM »
Marcos Alonso Peña
October 1, 1959 - February 9, 2023

Son of Marcos Alonso "Marquitos" Imaz and father of Marcos Alonso Mendoza (ex Chelsea, now at Barcelona), regarded as an extraordinary dribbler, he is also thought of as an unpredictable left winger who was fast, exceptionally mobile and creative, subject to instinct and inspiration, and the ability to deliver quality from the right, with the traits of an interior player.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iqK4PB8Q16M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iqK4PB8Q16M</a>

Might as well take the opportunity to show footage that most of you will not have seen before.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/iKLZmb1IINM" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/iKLZmb1IINM</a>
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 07:13:20 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: February 09, 2023, 01:05:57 PM »
Brian John, a team mate  from the 1974 Youth team that played in the Toronto Concacaf tournament, passed on Tuesday. He had been suffering for a while with throat cancer. He was from the San Juan environs and played in PYMFL in Aranguez for Challengers, Strollers and Pro Pioneers touring team. He was a very good player. Funny fella with a smile. Rest In Paradise, Brio.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 03:54:12 PM by Deeks »

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: February 10, 2023, 09:38:49 PM »
Brian John, a team mate  from the 1974 Youth team that played in the Toronto Concacaf tournament, passed on Tuesday. He had been suffering for a while with throat cancer. He was from the San Juan environs and played in PYMFL in Aranguez for Challengers, Strollers and Pro Pioneers touring team. He was a very good player. Funny fella with a smile. Rest In Paradise, Brio.

The funeral for the late Brian John  will take place on Tuesday 14th February 2023 at 1130 am at San Juan Catholic Church, San Juan Hill, near to the police  station.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: February 14, 2023, 04:35:15 PM »

The funeral for the late Brian John  will take place on Tuesday 14th February 2023 at 1130 am at San Juan Catholic Church, San Juan Hill, near to the police  station.

In Loving Memory of Bryan John

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/tGshKyTIQ2M" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/tGshKyTIQ2M</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: February 15, 2023, 02:18:48 PM »
Thanks Tallman :thumbsup:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #905 on: May 07, 2023, 01:39:12 AM »
Football loses Ken Henry.
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express).

KEN HENRY, the former footballer and Trinidad and Tobago national team trainer and head coach, has passed away.

Expressing condolences at Henry’s passing yesterday were Selby Browne, president of the Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago (VFFOTT) and former colleagues Everald “Gally” Cummings and Clayton Morris.

“We at VFFOTT extend our condolences to the family of former national footballer, coach, trainer, administrator and founder of the Henry’s Physical Association, Kenneth “Ken” Henry,” stated Browne in a statement.

Henry was both a man of culture and sport. A long-standing supporter of the Invaders steelband, with his speed and diminutive size, he was also a fixture at right-wing back for the famous Malvern football team of the early 1960s.

Henry had spells as T&T head coach and trainer, and was a member of the technical staff of two T&T teams that marginally failed to qualify for a FIFA World Cup, in 1973 and 1989. The “Soca Warriors” eventually qualified in 2006, under Dutchman Leo Beenhakker.

Coached by Englishman Kevin Verity and assisted by local coaches Edgar Vidale and Henry, T&T finished second with six points at the 1973 CONCACAF Championships played at Stade Sylvio Cator, Port-au-Prince, with Caribbean neighbours Haiti taking the lone spot to the Germany 1974 FIFA World Cup.

Everald “Gally” Cummings, one of the outstanding T&T players at the 1973 tournament, remembers Henry as a seasoned older player whom he looked up to. He yesterday expressed condolences to his family.

“Ken Henry was a giant of a man. I admired and respected him as a younger player when he played for Malvern with my older brother,” Cummings told the Sunday Express. “Later, it was a privilege for me when I joined him as a player on the senior national team in 1965 on my first tour to Jamaica.”

Henry was also the trainer under Cummings in 1989 when T&T came within a point of qualifying for the 1990 World Cup in Italy.

Needing just a home draw, T&T infamously went down 1-0 in Port of Spain, allowing the then third-placed United States to leapfrog them to the World cup spot.

“I will always remain appreciative of the support he gave me as trainer of the national team as a young senior national coach at the age of 39 during 1987-1989, a role he also played in our World Cup team’s participation in Haiti in 1973 and in 1976 preliminaries,” Cummings added.

“He was always at my side to advise me and share his experience with me so I could do my best for the country. He will always be remembered for his sterling contribution in my development as a coach and in the development of football in Trinidad and Tobago,” Cummings concluded.

Clayton Morris, captain to that 1989 T&T “Strike Squad” credited Henry with doing a fantastic job of getting the players in peak physical condition and as a father-figure who players could discuss personal issues with.

Morris also vividly remembers a statement Henry regularly made.

“At one time we were in Costa Rica for a qualifier and the place was smokey. He (Henry) said we have to ‘obliterate all external factors and work’,” Morris recalled. “That is something we (Strike Squad) will always remember, and even now I use it in my coaching.”

FLASHBACK: This 1989 Trinidad and Tobago Strike Squad photo shows trainer Ken Henry, second from right, middle row, next to deceased manager, and ex-Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation president, Oliver Camps, at right.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: May 08, 2023, 07:49:44 PM »
Paul Regis remembered as true servant of sport
By Sherdon Pierre (T&T Newsday)

Paul “Polly” Regis was remembered as a true servant of the people who extended himself to become one of the main contributors to sport in TT. The former local football coach, national team physiotherapist and trainer died at age 95 on April 28. His funeral was held last Thursday at the Church of the Incarnation, Maloney Gardens, D'Abadie.

Playing as a left-sided midfielder, Regis won the National Intercol football title with St Mary`s College in 1945. He played for Maple Football Club for over a decade before joining the ranks as the coach, then years later the president.

As coach in the 1960s, Regis helped the team become one of the most successful in the country. They won a hat-trick of titles, 1967-1969, in the Port of Spain Football League. The team included players such as Alvin Corneal, Ellis Sadaphal, Bobby Sookram and Jean Mouttet among others.

Sadaphal told Newsday, “He was a very committed football personality whether it was administrator, coach, trainer or club member. A very good guy. I had the privilege of playing under him in the Maple 67-69 team when we won the Port of Spain League for three straight years. He was a very good influence on my career, a top-class guy and we lived close.”

Former national footballer Alvin Corneal recalled, “I was about ten or 12 years old when I got to know Polly, and then he encouraged me to join Maple Football Club when I was 15. During that time, I got to know him better and better, I got married and he attended. He was a coach at Maple for a pretty long time and the team was very successful. He was always involved a very peaceful person.

Corneal described him as a great organiser. “He founded the BWIA graduates team for all the older guys. We went to America a few times, Australia once and Polly was always there. Believe it or not, five or six years ago Polly was still organising Maple vs Malvern games.”

Regis was the physiotherapist for the national men's football team in 1973 which controversially missed out on the West Germany 1974 World Cup. On that team were players such as Steve David, Warren Archibald, Everald “Gally” Cummings and Selris Figaro.

He later coached St Vincent and the Grenadines men's football team. He earned the “Vincy Heat” one of their best performances in the 1981 CFU Championship placing second after recording victories against Martinique, Suriname, Puerto Rico and Guadeloupe.

In 1993 Regis became the first open heart surgery recipient in TT, since then he was an advocate for the surgery guiding many persons throughout the country on the life-changing decisions needed before and after the surgery.

Regis was an avid football fan and attended the USA World Cup 1994, France 1998 World Cup and 2006 Germany World Cup as a spectator. He was ecstatic to witness the Soca Warriors in the World Cup, after experiencing the disappointment of the 1973 campaign.

In 2012, Regis received the Hummingbird Medal Bronze for his devoted service to sports in TT.

He was described by many as a humble, genuine, kind-hearted, family man who always had a moment for a chat, especially on sport. His smooth footwork was evident on the football field as well as the dance floor. He worked at WASA for four decades and volunteered on several charitable such as The Heart Foundation and the Horticultural Society and numerous sporting committees.

1]; } ?>