March 28, 2024, 09:41:50 AM

Author Topic: The In Memory Of Thread  (Read 164086 times)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
Re: Wales football manager Gary Speed has died at the age of 42.
« Reply #150 on: November 27, 2011, 12:50:35 PM »
Very sad news. I remember him during his playing days with Leeds.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Speed, McAllister, Batty, Strachan...best Leeds midfield I ever see. Also the best midfield of a promoted team for at least the past 30 years.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #151 on: November 27, 2011, 01:07:36 PM »
Very sad news. I remember him during his playing days with Leeds.

My condolences to his family and friends.

Speed, McAllister, Batty, Strachan...best Leeds midfield I ever see. Also the best midfield of a promoted team for at least the past 30 years.
and Lee Chapman up top and Lukic in goal
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #152 on: November 27, 2011, 01:11:05 PM »
This is a blog written just yesterday from one of my favorite players..Stan Collymore

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1

It's 4:48am in the morning(Sat 26th Nov 2011),and i'm wide awake.

I decided to tweet my own personal experience of my latest bout of Depression yesterday,and firstly wanted to thank the hundreds of messages from friends,journalists,mental health workers,doctors,and sufferers,as well as well wishers.It's very humbling to read the stories of fellow sufferers,links to blogs,and general experiences of this awful illness.

I want to elaborate on what Depression is for me,as the illness has so many facets,and varies from bout to bout ,that it can be hard to explain to a fellow sufferer,never mind someone fortunate enough to have never been afflicted!

I've spent so much time with Depression sufferers who have anxiety,irrational fear,too much sleep,not enough,that it's hard to pinpoint one "thing" that Depression is or isn't.All i know is that depending on the severity of the bout,it can be made of mainly one or all of these things,so i'll explain this latest bout,and what it's effect is.

I keep myself in really good nick,i run 10k every week day,and only not go to the gym or exercise at weekends,when i commentate on football for talkSPORT.The running i find really has helped massively,as i'm sure you guys that suffer who exercise find,the tangible release of calm,and "being on top of things" powers your internal dynamo,and keeps the black dog from the door.

Around 10 days ago however,i started to feel anxiety,which grew into irrational fear,which in turn turned into insomnia for 3 days(little sleep,and an incredibly active,negative mind),that in turn over last weekend(Swansea v Man United) into Hypersomnia,whereby my energy levels dipped to zero,and my sleep went from 8 to 18 hours overnight.

So i went from last Saturday at the gym,running 10k as i normally do,looking forward to working,to Tuesday morning being unable to lift my head from the pillow, feeling like my body had been drained of any life,my brain "full" and foggy,and a body that felt like it was carrying an anvil around.

So fit and healthy one day,mind,body and soul withering and dying the next.This to me is the most frightening of experiences,and one fellow suffers i'm sure will agree is the "thud" that sets the Depression rolling.

Once it hits,then cause and effect start to kick in.I sleep 18 hours a day,so i don't see sunlight over sometime a period of a week(my worst ever bout,i spent a month in bed),which i'm sure a doctor then would tell me makes the body shut down even further.My personal world grows smaller,i detach from friends and family,partly out of self preservation,partly not wanting them to see the man bounding around days ago,now looks visibly older,weaker and pathetic.

I eat less,my personal space gets smaller,none of the vain grooming of days before,as bathing,washing,and even going to the loo seem almost impossible.So its me,pyjamas,bed and increasingly despairing thoughts of how long this one will last,a tired,desperately tired but wildly active mind burns through its own blue touch paper until the paper ends,and there is simply nothing left.

That's the point when the practicality sets in,and not a nice one(and incredible to think when you finally get well).

Suicidal thoughts.

Thankfully i've not got to that part yet,and in my last 10 years only once or twice has this practical reality entered my head,and practicality its is,unpalatable the thought may be to many.

Why a practicality? Well,if your mind is empty,your brain ceases to function,your body is pinned to the bed,the future is a dark room,with no light,and this is your reality,it takes a massive leap of faith to know that this time next week,life could be running again,smiling,my world big and my brain back as it should be.So what do some do? They don't take the leap of faith,they address a practical problem with a practical solution to them,and that is taking their own life.And sadly,too many take that route out of this hell.

I'm typing and my brain is full,cloudy and detached but i know i need to elaborate on what i'm going through because there are so many going through this that need to know it's an illness,just an illness.Not bad,mad,crazy or weak,just ill,and that with this particular illness,for its sufferers,for family and friends who are there but feel they can't help,you can!

Patience,time,kindness and support.That's all we need.No "pull your socks up",no "get out of bed you lazy git",just acknowledge the feedback the sufferer gives,get them to go to the GP asap,and help them do the little things bit by bit.

That may seem simple but in my experience,and currently as we speak,having a bath,walking for 5 minutes in the fresh air,making a meal,all things that days before were the norm,seem alien,so friends and family can help ,just by being non judgemental,and helping in the background to get the sufferer literally back on their feet.

I hope that if you are suffering,or know someone that does,that a little insight into someone elses experiences might resonate with one or two and give them the comfort of knowing that there are millions out there like us that deal with this reality in our lives.

We contribute like everyone else,so treat us like everyone else.

You are not alone,there are millions of us.

Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline behind-de-bridge

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 27, 2011, 04:26:40 PM »
Condolences to the Speed family.

Offline Daft Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 27, 2011, 04:29:01 PM »
Leeds Legend.... RIP.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 27, 2011, 04:42:55 PM »
MEP, I second your sentiment in response to Mad Ras 13's ridiculous comment...
Very shocking and very sad, suicide or not.  I remember that Leeds team and BOY them men was efficient.  Gary McAllister was one of the most gifted Englishmen I see in the EPL.  His finishing was so clinical.  Gary Speed was a WORKHORSE!  When dah man ress a tackle on yuh, yuh know yuh get tackle!!  Rel sad......

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 27, 2011, 04:59:41 PM »
This is a real sad thing however it really happened. 

Offline Football supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 27, 2011, 06:25:00 PM »
This is a blog written just yesterday from one of my favorite players..Stan Collymore

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/ecoqm1

It's 4:48am in the morning(Sat 26th Nov 2011),and i'm wide awake.

I decided to tweet my own personal experience of my latest bout of Depression yesterday,and firstly wanted to thank the hundreds of messages from friends,journalists,mental health workers,doctors,and sufferers,as well as well wishers.It's very humbling to read the stories of fellow sufferers,links to blogs,and general experiences of this awful illness.

I want to elaborate on what Depression is for me,as the illness has so many facets,and varies from bout to bout ,that it can be hard to explain to a fellow sufferer,never mind someone fortunate enough to have never been afflicted!

I've spent so much time with Depression sufferers who have anxiety,irrational fear,too much sleep,not enough,that it's hard to pinpoint one "thing" that Depression is or isn't.All i know is that depending on the severity of the bout,it can be made of mainly one or all of these things,so i'll explain this latest bout,and what it's effect is.

I keep myself in really good nick,i run 10k every week day,and only not go to the gym or exercise at weekends,when i commentate on football for talkSPORT.The running i find really has helped massively,as i'm sure you guys that suffer who exercise find,the tangible release of calm,and "being on top of things" powers your internal dynamo,and keeps the black dog from the door.

Around 10 days ago however,i started to feel anxiety,which grew into irrational fear,which in turn turned into insomnia for 3 days(little sleep,and an incredibly active,negative mind),that in turn over last weekend(Swansea v Man United) into Hypersomnia,whereby my energy levels dipped to zero,and my sleep went from 8 to 18 hours overnight.

So i went from last Saturday at the gym,running 10k as i normally do,looking forward to working,to Tuesday morning being unable to lift my head from the pillow, feeling like my body had been drained of any life,my brain "full" and foggy,and a body that felt like it was carrying an anvil around.

So fit and healthy one day,mind,body and soul withering and dying the next.This to me is the most frightening of experiences,and one fellow suffers i'm sure will agree is the "thud" that sets the Depression rolling.

Once it hits,then cause and effect start to kick in.I sleep 18 hours a day,so i don't see sunlight over sometime a period of a week(my worst ever bout,i spent a month in bed),which i'm sure a doctor then would tell me makes the body shut down even further.My personal world grows smaller,i detach from friends and family,partly out of self preservation,partly not wanting them to see the man bounding around days ago,now looks visibly older,weaker and pathetic.

I eat less,my personal space gets smaller,none of the vain grooming of days before,as bathing,washing,and even going to the loo seem almost impossible.So its me,pyjamas,bed and increasingly despairing thoughts of how long this one will last,a tired,desperately tired but wildly active mind burns through its own blue touch paper until the paper ends,and there is simply nothing left.

That's the point when the practicality sets in,and not a nice one(and incredible to think when you finally get well).

Suicidal thoughts.

Thankfully i've not got to that part yet,and in my last 10 years only once or twice has this practical reality entered my head,and practicality its is,unpalatable the thought may be to many.

Why a practicality? Well,if your mind is empty,your brain ceases to function,your body is pinned to the bed,the future is a dark room,with no light,and this is your reality,it takes a massive leap of faith to know that this time next week,life could be running again,smiling,my world big and my brain back as it should be.So what do some do? They don't take the leap of faith,they address a practical problem with a practical solution to them,and that is taking their own life.And sadly,too many take that route out of this hell.

I'm typing and my brain is full,cloudy and detached but i know i need to elaborate on what i'm going through because there are so many going through this that need to know it's an illness,just an illness.Not bad,mad,crazy or weak,just ill,and that with this particular illness,for its sufferers,for family and friends who are there but feel they can't help,you can!

Patience,time,kindness and support.That's all we need.No "pull your socks up",no "get out of bed you lazy git",just acknowledge the feedback the sufferer gives,get them to go to the GP asap,and help them do the little things bit by bit.

That may seem simple but in my experience,and currently as we speak,having a bath,walking for 5 minutes in the fresh air,making a meal,all things that days before were the norm,seem alien,so friends and family can help ,just by being non judgemental,and helping in the background to get the sufferer literally back on their feet.

I hope that if you are suffering,or know someone that does,that a little insight into someone elses experiences might resonate with one or two and give them the comfort of knowing that there are millions out there like us that deal with this reality in our lives.

We contribute like everyone else,so treat us like everyone else.

You are not alone,there are millions of us.

Wow, this is some heartfelt talk from Colly. When you remmember how flash and arrogant he used to be, he has really humbled. I used to like him as a striker, but I never realised he was as intelligent as he comes across in this blog. This gives you a real insight into clinical depression. I thank God that I've never ploughed these depths. I do hope Colly pulls through and learns to cope with his illness. After reading this, he has a lot to offer, particularly as an example to others who suffer and a celebrity who can raise awareness of this illness.   

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 28, 2011, 05:48:42 AM »
Just doesnt add up..too early for me to accept this...

Waiting for a justified reason which I am sure will surface....

His temperament is to total opposite if u ask me
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 28, 2011, 07:35:57 AM »
Unbelievable. Just goes to show that you have no idea what demons are running through someones head when you're watching them behaving quite normally. A sad loss to the world of football and specifically, Welsh football. R.I.P. Speedy.

CO-SIGNNNNNN
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline president

• Sr. Warrior
  • ...Walk and don't look back...
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 29, 2011, 11:50:14 AM »
Read this and buy the book about German goalkeeper Robert Enke, suicide victim, if you want insight into clinical depression and how tragically it could end. Football players and coaches commonly suffer the most withering criticism, often from people who don't have the first clue about performance and its requirements:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2011/nov/28/ronald-reng-robert-enke-book-award

We don't know if Gary Speed was a depressive, but this book on Enke is timely and poignant in the context of Speed's recent suicide. The problem of clinical depression and suicide is more widespread and misunderstood that one would imagine. Indeed, the TNT Ministry of Health has just advised that mental illness is on the increase in Trinidad and Tobago. Some empathy is required...
« Last Edit: November 29, 2011, 11:54:42 AM by president »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 29, 2011, 03:52:13 PM »
Condolences to the Speed family. Speechless!!!!!

Offline FireBrand

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Socrates on life support
« Reply #162 on: December 03, 2011, 11:53:51 AM »
Soccer great on life support.
foxsports.com

Former Brazil captain Socrates is back in the hospital and on life support.

A hospital in Sao Paulo says the 57-year-old Socrates is suffering from septic shock resulting from an intestinal infection.

Socrates was last in the hospital in September. That was for a hemorrhage caused by high pressure in the vein that carries blood from the digestive system to the liver.

Socrates has acknowledged being a heavy drinker, even when he starred as a player in the 1980s.

The Albert Einstein Hospital says in a Saturday statement that Socrates is breathing with the help of a ventilator.

The former playmaker captained Brazil in the 1982 and '86 World Cups and is a popular columnist and television commentator in the South American country.

An attacking midfielder who starred for Sao Paulo-based Corinthians through the 1970s and `80s, Socrates finished his international career in 1986 having scored 22 goals in 60 appearances.

Warrior Nation Member At Large

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Socrates on life support
« Reply #163 on: December 03, 2011, 12:13:13 PM »
Hope he recovers, this man was an icon
Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 03, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »
Wow!!!!!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: December 03, 2011, 03:57:13 PM »
His penalty taking style used to baffle me
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 03, 2011, 05:12:09 PM »

Ditto.  He brought such elegance & grace to the game.  One of my all time favourite players. 

All de bess Soccers.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #167 on: December 04, 2011, 01:42:21 AM »

Ditto.  He brought such elegance & grace to the game.  One of my all time favourite players. 

All de bess Soccers.

:beermug: :beermug: Still remember that goal vs. Russia in the '82 WC. Desayev never moved.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
« Reply #168 on: December 04, 2011, 03:42:16 AM »

All de bess Soccers.

:beermug: :beermug: Still remember that goal vs. Russia in the '82 WC. Desayev never moved.

VB

here it is. Quality not to good @ the 256 mark.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_7Zi2pnshE

Brasil 1982 squad. Some great moments, better quality video.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=Selecao%27s+much-lauded+1982+World+Cup+squad%2c+&mid=7A3B3D205EE42A2391EF7A3B3D205EE42A2391EF&view=detail&FORM=VIRE1
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:13:54 AM by davyjenny1 »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 04, 2011, 03:46:57 AM »
RIP Socrates

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2011, 03:51:20 AM »
From Goal.com

Brazil legend Socrates dies aged 57

It has been announced that the 60-times-capped player, who captained the Selecao in the 1982 World Cup, has passed away at hospital in Sao Paulo, following a fight with illness
Dec 4, 2011 8:30:00 AM
Socrates,Mexiko(Getty Images)
Socrates,Mexiko(Getty Images)
Brazil legend Socrates has passed away after suffering complications in his bid to recover from an intestinal problem.

The former Corinthians hero was rushed to hospital in Sao Paulo on Thursday night with a suspected case of food poisoning, but was immediately placed in intensive care after it was discovered that he had suffered a septic shock, in which bacteria from an infection seeps into the bloodstream and spreads throughout the body.

Despite the best efforts of medical staff, the 57-year-old lost his fight for survival and was pronounced dead at in the early hours of Sunday morning (Brazilian time).

Socrates had already been submitted to hospital with gastrointestinal haemorrhages twice previously since August and recently admitted that his problems had been related to alcohol abuse.

A classy midfielder with an eye for a goal, Socrates alsoplayed for Botafogo, Fiorentina, Flamengo and Santos during a stellar career which also saw him capped 60 times by Brazil. He was one of the most revered players in the Selecao's much-lauded 1982 World Cup squad, which he captained.

From Blog Sport:
http://goal-football-go.blogspot.com/2011/12/breaking-news-rip-socrates.html
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 04:21:11 AM by davyjenny1 »

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2011, 04:23:05 AM »
RIP Dr.

VB

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2011, 05:01:39 AM »

All de bess Soccers.

VB

Nah, is d one that Eder had scored where he never/couldn't move.  Them '82 and '86 teams are two of the greatest and entertaining  teams to have ever taken part in WC history and not win.  R.I.P. to a true legend.   :(

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 04, 2011, 05:10:31 AM »

All de bess Soccers.

VB

Nah, is d one that Eder had scored where he never/couldn't move.  Them '82 and '86 teams are two of the greatest and entertaining  teams to have ever taken part in WC history and not win.  R.I.P. to a true legend.   :(

Eder too ;-)
But according to my memory (I eh bother to check youtube) He neatly side stepped a defender and shoot.
The year before was the beginning of my football peongness. The 82 squad is one of the best not win a WC. '86 was good but a lot of the '82 guys on their last legs.

VB

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2011, 05:19:52 AM »

All de bess Soccers.

VB

Eder too ;-)
But according to my memory (I eh bother to check youtube) He neatly side stepped a defender and shoot.
The year before was the beginning of my football peongness. The 82 squad is one of the best not win a WC. '86 was good but a lot of the '82 guys on their last legs.

VB

Ah had to go and check. Yes Mango yuh right  :)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 04, 2011, 07:52:01 AM »
Of course he right ... VB, fuh a trivia man ah find yuh earn at least 2 clout dey ... yuh really question Chow on that? :) ... that moment is one of the most iconic moments in WC goalscoring history.

On a personal note (as a natural right footer often playing unnaturally on the left), Eder had a HUGE influence on me coming to the recognition that a left foot could become that educated ... and to what effect ... because of where he played on the field, how he treated the ball and how he expanded the field, compared to what had caught my attention from the game in England. Ah know it will sound like heresy to some, but I didn't "accept" Maradona until 1986 ... part of that was rooted in Argentina-resistant genes (Ordem e Progresso :salute:) ... Grudgingly, the resistance has lessened over the years.

For me, a left footer of reference for any young midfield player today ... for me ... should/would be David Silva. Hands down. I swear I heard a commentator say yesterday something to the effect that he had the impression Silva cultivated his left foot in a telephone booth :wavetowel: ... Mercy!!! Having stated that doh ... as ah kill Socrates' eulogy ... 2 more words: Arjen Robben.

Allyuh eh want to start meh on left footers ... ah could deliver ah treatise on dem without mentioning de fella at Barcelona  ::). Dey exciting too bad. FUH REAL!!!

Anyhow, R.I.P. Socrates, R.I.P. Will pay my tribute by watching old footage.  :beermug: One to reach the skies.

P.S. Embedders post de video goodies.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:02:28 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 04, 2011, 07:56:43 AM »
Rip General

A Poet with the ball! The last of the back heel specialist.
So many memories of this upright, elegant, footballing maestro.
He never won  a World Cup, yet he and his team are still one of the most
talked about footballing teams among purist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QxLS8MUEqw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vk2OkagTuY
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 08:15:06 AM by Observer »
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

giggsy11

« Reply #177 on: December 04, 2011, 09:14:39 AM »

All de bess Soccers.

VB

Yep-people was in tears when dem two teams lost oui! That 82 side sealed my love for Brasil!

giggsy11

« Reply #178 on: December 04, 2011, 09:15:52 AM »
RIP Socrates-at least you lived your life to the fullest!

giggsy11

« Reply #179 on: December 04, 2011, 09:21:48 AM »
His penalty taking style used to baffle me

If it baffled you, it make me mad and baffled me when he missed against France. Is not like the keeper didn't know the move.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 09:28:58 AM by Giggsy11 »

1]; } ?>