April 19, 2024, 07:44:58 AM

Author Topic: The In Memory Of Thread  (Read 165240 times)

Offline TdotTrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Re: The In Memory Of Thread (Red, White & Black)
« Reply #570 on: November 23, 2015, 12:36:13 PM »
I'm not sure if we have a local version of this thread, but if we do I couldn't find it.  Mods please move and merge accordingly.

RIP to former St. Augustine coaching legend Kenny Thomas who passed away last week.

"Simple... SIMPLE!!"

RIP Coach Kenny.

Trained under Coach Kenny at Gustin. He made alot of men cry. It was the fittest I've ever been in my life.  Sad to hear of his loss.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 05:20:16 AM by asylumseeker »
Teamwork divides the task and multiplies the success

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The In Memory Of Thread (Foreign)
« Reply #571 on: December 09, 2015, 06:06:21 AM »
Date Set for Burial of Soccer Legend Freddy Mukwesha
By Marvellous Mhlanga-Nyahuye, Voice of America

WASHINGTON—Former Dynamos utility player and board member the late Freddy Mkwesha, who died in Harare on Tuesday following a long battle with diabetes, is expected to be buried Thursday in Goromonzi.

Dynamos Football Club chairman Kenny Mubaiwa confirmed the death and told Voice Of America's  Studio7 the soccer legend will be hard to replace as he did not only have an illustrious career in soccer but was also an adviser to the team players and the board.

Mubaiwa met with the Mkwesha family Tuesday night, who announced the burial will be Thursday after the body is ferried from Nyaradzo Funeral Parlor, to his house at the Glenora Flats followed by body viewing at Rufaro Stadium and burial at Goromonzi his rural home.

“We are urging all our supporters and football club members to join us in celebrating the life of Mkwesha. We hope that they will be able to visit one of these places,” said Mubaiwa.

Mkwesha a Dembare striker and became the first person in Zimbabwe to sign for an overseas club in a move that some soccer enthusiasts say unlocked doors for other locals who went to Europe and other continents.

"We will be notifying the team that he played for in Portugal of his death, as he was one of the first soccer players to sign for a European club," said Mubaiwa, who noted that the player was an inspiration to other local young players that followed in this footsteps.

Mukwesha’s date with Eusebio
By Michael Madyira, The Standard

In October 1966, a then 25-year-old Dynamos forward Freddy Mukwesha made his first step on his journey for a date with football stars when he embarked on a road trip to Mozambique enroute to Portugal.

He was due to sign for Sporting de Braga but needed to complete medicals in Maputo first before flying to Braga via Lisbon and Porto.

His late former Dynamos teammate Morrison Sifelani drove him to Maputo in the company of the late Armando Ferreira. Little did he know that he was on his way to eat on the same table with World Cup legend Eusebio and Portugal captain Mario Coluna.

It was at a time when the late Eusebio was a global football soundtrack after emerging top scorer at the 1966 Fifa World Cup with nine goals for Portugal and also having been named Europe’s best player the previous season.

Mozambique-born Eusebio died in Lisbon seven days ago at 71.
With Portugal finishing the 1966 World Cup on third place, Mukwesha was ecstatic that he was going to rub shoulders with the world’s best.

Never did he ever imagine that he would not only play along or against them, but dine with them as well.

He on various occassions had dinner with Eusebio and Coluna who like Eusebio was born in Mozambique.

“During off seasons we would meet as Africans to eat funchi (sadza) and galinha (chicken),” said Mukwesha.

“We were a small group of Africans and we would look for each other for get-togethers. There were others from Cape Verde and Guinea Bissau but myself and guys from Angola and Mozambique were too familiar with funchi. Eusebio liked funchi a lot.

“He was a very down to earth person and very quiet and at one time we ate at his modest apartment in Lisbon. We all liked him. We would talk and talk about football.”

The script of his trip to stardom began when Sporting de Braga toured the country to play then Rhodesia in 1965 at Glamis Stadium.
As a striker, Mukwesha was menacing on that afternoon and Sporting de Braga made no time to put him on top of their priority signings before eventually capturing their man the following year.

“I did not go for trials but signed right away. They warmly welcomed me. Since I went there during a time when whites oppressed us here, I thought I was plunging myself into hell but they treated me like one of their own. Braga fans loved me and I was like a hero when I walked in the streets,” he said.

Playing against Eusebio whenever they met giants Benfica, Mukwesha had the chance to witness the legend’s magic up, close and personal.
“He was a marvel to watch,” said Mukwesha.

“The coach would assign two or more guys to police Eusebio and he would still be a handful. Since we were both strikers, I was lucky not to have a role to contain him. But I learnt a lot from closely watching him play. His dribbling and shooting was perfect.

“To me he was in the same league as Pele. People talk much about Pele because Pele also talks too much unlike Eusebio who was too reserved. People used all dirty tricks to stop Eusebio especially by hard tackles, but he would never retaliate or complain.”

During our interview at Raylton Sports Club last Thursday, Mukwesha was seated next to an ever-smiling Dynamos legend George “Mastermind” Shaya who in our one and half hour long chat gulped three Lion Lager pints.

Surprisingly, none of their children or grandchildren retraced their footsteps  to play football.

“Even vakuru ava (Shaya) vane vana vakawanda asi hapana kana one ari kutamba bhora asi yaiva shasha. Zvakaramba asi taida kuti vana vedu vatambewo. (Even this gentleman has many children but none of them played football despite him being a star. We wanted our children to be footballers but it could not happen),” he said as Shaya nodded in agreement with a beaming smile.

Mukwesha became the first person in this country to sign for an overseas club in a move that everyone thought was to unlock doors for other locals in Europe.

Mukwesha at the age of 25 in 1966 was Zimbabwe’s first football export, signing for Portuguese side, Sporting Dé Braga.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Honduran international footballer, Arnold Peralta, murdered
« Reply #573 on: December 10, 2015, 09:54:16 PM »
Man.  Sad news... RIP

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 10, 2015, 10:41:23 PM »
Noticed this on the ticker while the game was going on. Sad indeed!

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: December 11, 2015, 06:48:43 AM »
RIP. So sad, so sad. Condolences to the family.

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 11, 2015, 09:28:39 AM »
I saw a Documentary on BBC a few months ago,it was about the murder rates in Honduras,I don't remember the rate but it was definitely in the top 3 or 4.There was one woman who killed 8 of her husbands,one of them she killed and sold some of his meat in a market.What a country,people are shot and killed and dumped on the roads daily...like dogs.It's a sad place,should be called Horrendous,not Honduras and I don't mean to be funny.

Offline Mad Scorpion a/k/a Big Bo$$

• Hero Warrior
  • a/k/a Optimus Prime
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 11, 2015, 11:50:43 AM »
I saw a Documentary on BBC a few months ago,it was about the murder rates in Honduras,I don't remember the rate but it was definitely in the top 3 or 4.There was one woman who killed 8 of her husbands,one of them she killed and sold some of his meat in a market.What a country,people are shot and killed and dumped on the roads daily...like dogs.It's a sad place,should be called Horrendous,not Honduras and I don't mean to be funny.

I have a bredrin from there and from what he describe da place rell rell dread.  He say soldiers used to kidnap yutes and yuh have to serve in the army when they ketch yuh

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 11, 2015, 01:26:02 PM »

I have a bredrin from there and from what he describe da place rell rell dread.  He say soldiers used to kidnap yutes and yuh have to serve in the army when they ketch yuh

One morning when I invited them to breakfast, we encountered a taped-­off crime scene a few blocks from their house. A body was sprawled facedown on the sidewalk, and there was another in the street. You could see solid pieces in the blood around their heads. Forensic experts in white coats placed numbered markers near the bullet casings — 47 of them, so far. The few people who had gathered looked mostly unimpressed. Many passers-­by didn’t bother stopping.

‘‘It’s been a long time since I’ve seen that,’’ Villanueva said.

‘‘Welcome to Honduras,’’ Oscar said.

When I took them home several hours later, we passed the scene again. The crowd had dispersed, and the forensic experts were gone. The bodies, though, remained.

Nobody had covered them. Traffic carried on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/12/13/magazine/the-deported.html

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 11, 2015, 04:53:34 PM »

Arnold Peralta #6 of Honduras collides with Joevin Jones #3 of Trinidad & Tobago as they go for the ball during the sixth day of 2012 CONCACAF Men's Olympic Qualifying at The Home Depot Center on March 27, 2012.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Former national footballer and VFOFTT president, Gwenwyn Cust, dies
« Reply #583 on: December 21, 2015, 05:33:30 PM »
Former national footballer and VFOFTT president, Gwenwyn Cust, dies
VFFOTT Secretariat

THE VETERAN FOOTBALLERS FOUNDATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO IS SADDENED ON THE PASSING OF OUR PRESIDENT MR GWENWYN CUST THIS MORNING.  A FORMER NATIONAL FOOTBALLER AND COACH, CAPTAIN OF THE HISTORIC COLTS FOOTBALL CLUB OF BELMONT, AND RETIRED SCHOOL TEACHER.

Mr. Selby Browne, Vice President, of the Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago (VFFOTT) confirmed sadness on receiving news of the passing, of our president Gwenwyn Cust. 

In his fight against cancer, he started radiation treatment, but succumbed this morning at 7.10am.

Gwenwyn made an invaluable contribution to football in Trinidad and Tobago, having contributed to all aspects of the game. He personally led the demand for Footballers representation at the Administrative level, with his stand, when the Trinidad and Tobago national footballers took a forthright position in the 1960’s.

Gwenwyn’s personal contribution laid the foundation for the establishment of the Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago, which he served as President to the end, said Mr. Browne.

Mr. Browne said, we are all thankful for his colossal contribution as educator and outstanding footballer, coach, administrator and community leader.

“He was a man of integrity, moral fabric and a gentleman with his God as his guide.  He was as an exemplar, a father figure who molded young boys into men of principle and good character. Gwenwyn was knowledgeable, a motivator, excellent strategist and had a keen sense of his footballer’s capabilities and weaknesses.”

The Veteran Footballers Foundation on behalf of several Trinidad and Tobago footballers of the 1950’s, 60’s and today, extend our condolences to his wife Keren, brothers and sisters, daughters, grand children, relatives, friends and parishioners of the St. John’s Anglican Church, Petit Bourg San Juan.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Former national footballer and VFOFTT president, Gwenwyn Cust, dies
« Reply #584 on: December 21, 2015, 05:44:22 PM »
Wow!! RIP Mr. Cust!!!. Condolences to the Cust family.

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Former national footballer and VFOFTT president, Gwenwyn Cust, dies
« Reply #585 on: December 21, 2015, 06:38:03 PM »
Condolences to the family. RIP.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The In Memory of Thread (Red, White, & Black)
« Reply #586 on: December 22, 2015, 05:29:55 AM »
TTFA extends condolences on the passing of Gwenwyn Cust

The Board of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association, led by President David John-Williams, expresses its sadness over the passing of former National Player and President of the Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago, Gwenwyn Cust. The TTFA extends condolences to his wife Karen and his family members.

““I would like to express my heartfelt condolences on the sad demise of Mr Cust,” John Williams stated. “We are saddened to lose such a loyal and committed friend. It was clear to all that it was clear to that he was a man who exuded enthusiasm and passion for the game.”

Cust lost his battle with cancer on Monday at 7:10am. He was also captain of Colts football club of Belmont and was a retired school teacher.

http://ttfootball.org/2015/12/22/ttfa-extends-condolences-on-passing-of-gwenwyn-cust/

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 22, 2015, 09:01:26 PM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/AvtZgZxFGLs" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/AvtZgZxFGLs</a>

Jimmy Hill obituary
By Richard Williams, The Guardian

Footballer, manager, pundit and campaigner fuelled by vast reserves of energy who fought for abolition of maximum wage for players

22 July 1928 - 19 December 2015

Jimmy Hill, who has died aged 87 after suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, exerted a degree of influence on the modern evolution of football that has been matched by few other individuals. Fans growing up in the 1970s and 80s knew him chiefly as a presenter of BBC’s Match of the Day, on which he showed off his prominent bearded chin and an unfailing readiness to give a sharp-edged opinion. But as a player for Fulham in the 1950s he had made a far more telling contribution to the game when he was instrumental in a successful footballers’ campaign to abolish the maximum wage, which had long kept even the biggest stars of British football under the thumb. It was a profound change that shaped modern professional football.

Hill’s intervention came as chairman of the Professional Footballers’ Association in 1961, when he issued a strike threat that finally brought an end to the era of the £20 maximum wage, thus enabling his Fulham team mate Johnny Haynes to open his pay packet and discover that he had become England’s first £100-a-week footballer. Today’s Premier League superstars, some of them taking home £250,000 a week and more, can trace their good fortune back to Hill’s decisive contribution to that necessary struggle.

The range of his involvement in the game made him a unique figure, one who brought an urge to innovate fuelled by vast reserves of energy to each of his roles. A player first, with Brentford and then Fulham, a successful manager at Coventry City, where he later became manager-director, he went on to be appointed Charlton Athletic’s chairman before assuming the same function at Fulham. As a broadcaster he introduced the slow-motion replays and expert panels of former players that continue, in the digital age, to define television’s analytical approach to football.

His various campaigns to increase the game’s entertainment value included a passionate advocacy of awarding three points for a win, rather than two, in order to reduce the scope for pre-arranged stalemates. Statisticians may continue to argue, but all fans know that when this formula was adopted in England in 1981, although not becoming standard around the world until after the 1994 World Cup, it virtually eliminated the stodgy, safety-first attitude that had so damaged football as a spectacle.

Born in Balham, south London, the son of William, a milk and bread delivery man who had served in the first world war, and his wife, Alice (nee Wyatt), Jimmy attended the Henry Thornton grammar school in Clapham (later becoming president of its old boys’ association) and was a fan of Crystal Palace. On leaving school he went to work at the Stock Exchange, but his period of national service, in which he served as a clerk in the Royal Army Service Corps and played football alongside professionals, saw the first stirrings of interest in a different kind of career.

In 1949 he played a few games for Folkestone, a non-league club, and had a trial with Reading. The offer of a first professional contract, however, came from Brentford, then in the second division. He spent two years at Griffin Park, playing 83 league matches and scoring 10 goals with the future England manager Ron Greenwood as a teammate before moving, in 1952, to Fulham, also in the second division, for the respectable fee of £25,000.

He had started his career as a left half, or what would now be called a left-sided midfielder, a position with defensive responsibilities in which his size and strength – he was 6ft and weighed 12-and-a-half stone – were a distinct asset. Gradually he developed into an inside right, working alongside Haynes, who was the inside left and principal creative influence on the side.

Hill played 276 league matches in nine seasons at Craven Cottage, scoring 41 goals. When Fulham reached the semi-finals of the FA Cup in 1958, he scored in every round. The following season, however, when they achieved promotion to the top flight, he failed to get on the scoresheet at all until Good Friday, when he scored a hat-trick – all three with headers, from corners taken by Tosh Chamberlain – as the team came from behind to beat Sheffield Wednesday 6-2.

In 1957 he had succeeded Jimmy Guthrie as chairman of the players’ union, continuing the long fight for an end to the maximum wage. Encouraged by Cliff Lloyd, the union’s secretary and a former Fulham player, he forced the clubs to capitulate in 1961. Two years later another battle would be won when, after George Eastham had protested against Newcastle United’s refusal to allow him to join Arsenal, the clubs lost their quasi-feudal right to hang on to the ownership of players after the expiry of their contracts.

By that time Hill had retired as a player, at the age of 32, to become the manager of Coventry City, then languishing in the old third division. He might have waited another year before hanging up his boots, he later concluded, but spectacular success awaited him in his new role. With the financial support of the club’s chairman, Derrick Robins, he gave the team a new all-blue kit, rechristened them the Sky Blues, introduced pre-match and half-time entertainment, provided free soft drinks and snacks for children, laid on a Sky Blue train to take supporters to away fixtures, and even co-wrote the club song, the Sky Blue Anthem, sung to the tune of the Eton boating song.

The reward for his enterprise came with promotion to the second division in 1964 and thence to the top flight, in 1967, for the first time in the club’s history. Before they could make their debut in the first division, however, Hill resigned. In an abrupt career change, he had decided to move into television, first acting as technical adviser to a BBC series before, in 1968, joining London Weekend Television as head of sport. It was there, two years later, that he assembled a panel of well-known figures to analyse matches from the 1970 World Cup finals in Mexico. The studio disagreements between Derek Dougan, Malcolm Allison, Bob McNab and others became obligatory viewing, and Hill had invented modern sporting punditry.

In 1972 he switched back to the BBC to present Match of the Day, where he encouraged the employment of slow-motion replays, using them not just as a way of looking at highlights, such as goals, but to examine incorrect decisions by match officials. He made more than 600 appearances on the show, becoming a national figure in the process.

As a pundit Hill was never afraid to make criticisms, challenge referees’ decisions or float theories. Lasting enmity north of the border came his way when he dismissed the shot with which David Narey gave Scotland the lead against Brazil in the 1982 World Cup finals as a “toe-poke” (Brazil won 4-1, which hardly salved the wound). And he earned more widespread scorn when, after the entire Romania squad suddenly decided to dye their hair blond during the 1998 World Cup finals, he suggested the move might help them pick each other out when passing the ball. Outside television, in 2004 he defended the former Manchester United manager Ron Atkinson over a racist comment Atkinson had made about the France footballer Marcel Desailly, claiming that “nigger” was merely “the language of the football field” and hardly worse than someone calling him “chinny”.

Hill had returned to Coventry City in 1975, first as managing director and then as chairman. When he delayed the kick-off of a vital relegation battle against Bristol City for 10 minutes at the end of the 1976-77 season, he was accused of taking the decision not out of consideration for fans still trying to get into the ground but because it would allow his players to know the result of the other match affecting relegation, involving Sunderland at Goodison Park. Sunderland lost and were relegated, and a Football League inquiry allowed the result to stand.

An involvement with football in Saudi Arabia had made him money, but much of it – and some of Coventry’s, too – was lost when the club unsuccessfully attempted to extend its commercial interests to soccer in the US, through a franchise arrangement with the Washington Diplomats. In 1981 he made Coventry’s Highfield Road the first all-seater stadium in English football, and in 1982 he attempted to lead a tour of English professional players to South Africa, at the time of the sporting boycott against the apartheid regime. The following year, with Coventry’s fortunes in rapid decline, he was forced to stand down, moving on to become, briefly, chairman of Charlton Athletic.

There was drama of a happier kind after he returned to Fulham as chairman in 1987, staving off the threat of bankruptcy and a merger with Queens Park Rangers before paving the way for a period of success and stability under a new owner, Mohamed Al Fayed. It cemented his place in the hearts of Fulham’s supporters, grateful for his success in saving the club from extinction and preventing their beloved ground from falling into the hands of property developers.

He was appointed OBE for services to football in 1994. Leaving the BBC in 1999, he moved to Sky Sports, where for seven years he presented Jimmy Hill’s Sunday Supplement, a discussion programme on which he was joined by three football reporters. A statue of him was unveiled outside Coventry’s ground in 2011.

Perhaps no incident better sums up Hill’s multifaceted life in football than the one that occurred at Highbury in September 1972, after a linesman, Dennis Drewitt, had left the field with a pulled muscle during the match between Arsenal and Liverpool. Since the match could not be completed without a full complement of qualified officials, an appeal was made over the tannoy. There to answer it, having attended the match as a spectator, was the familiar figure of Hill – suddenly revealed to be a fully qualified referee. Changing into a tracksuit, he ran the line for the remainder of a match between two teams destined to finish first and second at the end of the season. Somehow, nothing could have been less surprising.

In 1950 Hill married Gloria, with whom he had two sons, Duncan and Graham, and a daughter, Alison; in 1962, Heather, with whom he had a son, Jamie, and a daughter, Joanna; and in 1991, Bryony Jarvis. The first two marriages ended in divorce, and he is survived by Bryony and his children.

Jimmy Hill: the punditry trailblazer who wore hostility as a badge of honour
By Martin Kelner, The Guardian

While Jimmy Hill’s football career recedes into a monochrome era of Woodbines and reinforced toecaps – he was a wing half, which tells you everything you need to know – his later role as a TV football pundit will be more readily recalled.

Hill was the first former professional to do the job, a trailblazer as he was in so many areas of the national game, and more forthright in his views than many of those who followed.

Not that this made him a national treasure. Jimmy wore hostility like a badge of honour. The current presenter of Match of the Day, Gary Lineker, told me about a match at Goodison, where Des Lynam and Alan Hansen were gently barracked, as is traditional, on their way to the TV gantry, but when Jimmy appeared the good-natured banter turned venomous. “Jimmy Hill, you’re a wanker, you’re a wanker” was the refrain. Jimmy turned to his colleagues, beaming. “There you are, that’s fame for you,” he said.

“To Jimmy, it was justification for what he did on TV,” Lineker told me. “He knew football, having had experience of every role in the game; fan, player, coach, chairman, director – he was a qualified referee for goodness sake – but he also knew television, and his view was there was no point in being mealy-mouthed. It wasn’t an act. He was passionate about the game and had strong opinions he believed in expressing. Sometimes, of course, they came from left of field.”

But not from the political left. If your experience of Jimmy on TV dates no further back than his latter days at the BBC – who terminated his contract amid some acrimony at the end of the 1990s – and his Sunday Supplement on Sky from 1999 to 2007, you may view him as a grumpy old man with values distilled in the 19th hole at a suburban golf club, a kind of Peter Alliss-lite.

That is not to say the Supplement was not enjoyable, like pretty well every project of Hill’s in 40 years of television. Admittedly, some of the fun came from Jimmy’s pretence that the Sunday morning paper review was broadcast from his lovely rural home. To foster this illusion, he used to introduce the commercial breaks saying he had to attend to some domestic duty, many of which seemed straight from a Carry On script. “Well, I’m off to peel the turnips now,” he would announce, or: “It’s high time I went and basted my meat.”

But late-period Hill misrepresents the man grievously. From a pretty decent footballing career with Brentford and Fulham, aided by a speed of thought not always present in his team-mates, through his successful campaign, as chairman of the PFA, to topple the feudal regime under which footballers were kept, his innovative management at Coventry City, and his time as head of sport at London Weekend Television from 1968 to 1972, Hill was nothing less than a revolutionary.

The effects of Jimmy’s revolutions in football and broadcasting are still being felt today. Take the panel of four outspoken pundits he introduced to ITV for the World Cup in 1970. Quite apart from its effect on football punditry, it’s a format that thrives more than 40 years later on programmes such as Strictly Come Dancing and X-Factor.

Also at ITV he brought the much-loved Brian Moore, authoritative without being strident, to London Weekend, to commentate and to host On The Ball, a Saturday lunchtime football magazine show way ahead of anything the BBC was doing at the time. “We devised as many innovative ideas as possible to attract a young audience,” Jimmy wrote in his autobiography. “One idea was a penalty competition where kids took spot-kicks against professional goalkeepers,” a tradition that lives on in programmes such as Sky’s Soccer AM.

Under Hill’s stewardship World Of Sport, of blessed memory, was spruced up, too, with the introduction of the ITV Seven, combining the races covered into a handy betting format.

Away from TV, Hill’s innovations as manager of Coventry City in the 1960s – his espousal of all-seat stadiums and proper readable match programmes, and his rewriting of the Eton Boating Song as the Sky Blue Song – have passed into legend in that part of the Midlands (A statue of Hill at the Ricoh Arena was unveiled by the man himself in 2011). What is less well advertised are Jimmy’s “pop and crisps” nights at Highfield Road, when he got his players to stay behind and sign autographs and hand out free snacks to hundreds of young fans – not a million miles away from the “community work” football makes such a fuss of these days.

Decades before fans’ forums, footballers’ Twitter feeds, and radio ’phone-ins, Jimmy was an advocate of interaction with fans, which did not always go as smoothly as Jimmy wished. In his early days on Match of the Day, he introduced a feature in which a supporter got to interview the manager of his club, but was requested not to ask anything too personal or controversial, a plan that was scuppered by the Spurs fan who kicked off his chat with then manager Keith Burkinshaw by asking: “Why, did you sell Pat Jennings to Arsenal? Why?”

Jimmy was what is sometimes described as “a real football man,” but he was a real TV man as well. He is undoubtedly godfather to Gary Neville, until this month making waves as a Sky analyst, as well as Lineker at the BBC.

“My first presenting job was the Euro 96 highlights,” said Gary, “Jimmy was my pundit and he was hugely helpful to me. I was shaking like a leaf, of course, but he was very encouraging. He was totally involved in all aspects of the programme, and gave me lots of advice, some of which was obvious, some not, telling me to slow down, when to listen more, that kind of thing.”

The former Arsenal goalkeeper Bob Wilson is among many broadcasters who pay tribute to Hill in their autobiographies. Wilson praises Hill’s versatility, recalling that when the 1971 Arsenal Double team needed a Cup final song – all teams had one back then – Jimmy altered the lyrics of Rule Britannia to “Good old Arsenal, we’re proud to say that name, While we sing this song, we’ll win the game,” for which, given his massive contribution to football and broadcasting, he should be forgiven.

Martin Kelner is the author of Sit Down and Cheer, a History of Sport on TV, published by Wisden Sports Writing.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 09:55:30 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: December 22, 2015, 10:11:01 PM »
We need to better document and chronicle our history. Rather than general statements such as "X was a former national footballer", it would be impact-filled to read accounts with memories and anecdotes grounded in fact and contribution. For instance, surely, someone could bring to the forum a piece on Cust or a piece on Coach Kenny. The media should be filling this void. 

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 23, 2015, 07:31:07 AM »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/Z_jUBj8rkPA" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/Z_jUBj8rkPA</a>

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: December 23, 2015, 09:05:23 AM »
Dahis wha ah talkin bout. Some golden nuggets in that video. Good stuff by Aldwyn McGill.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 23, 2015, 10:58:38 AM »
Dahis wha ah talkin bout. Some golden nuggets in that video. Good stuff by Aldwyn McGill.

That was a gem. Thanks, Mr. Cust.

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 23, 2015, 09:21:13 PM »
Remembering Gwenwyn

Today we are gathered here to pay our respects to our Dearly Beloved Gwenwyn whose death last Monday was not untimely or unexpected, yet in his passing, there was still that element of shock.

Gwenwyn was born in Woodbrook, Port of Spain on August 19th 1941 to the late Marvin and Muriel Cust.  He dedicated his life as an Educator with the Ministry of Education. He taught and mentored hundreds of students during his 34 years of service, and excelled in his role as a regional Athletic /Sports Administrator for Elementary Schools throughout the nation.

Though physically small, Gwenwyn was giant-like once he stepped on the football field, a leader, tough tackler, skillfull, and blessed with an on-field vision that made him a star beginning with his days at Richmond Street EC, then at Tranquillity Boys in the Colleges A-Colts competition, well before the advent of the Secondary Schools League.  A boyhood Colts supporter, Gwenwyn spent three success-filled years with the youthful Belmont team, Luton Town in the NAFL, before moving on through “a scholarship” with Colts in the POSFL. He was also a selectee for the annual North-South all-star games and for the full National team, before transitioning into a Coach for the National Youth Team.

As an Educator, Gwenwyn was also involved with the administration of other activities and Sporting functions for his Morvant EC School, and partnered with teachers at other neighboring schools with similar programs. In his capacity as an Educator/Administrator, Gwenwyn touched the lives of many people including fellow teachers, students, athletes and numerous football players, far too numerous to name.

In his early childhood, Gwen attended the Cathedral with our family and served as an acolyte, while his other brothers sung in the choir. As an adult, Gwen became involved with St John’s Anglican Church as the Director of the Choir and served in that capacity until his passing.

In November 2008, Gwenwyn was invited by his former classmate, teammate, and friend Patrick Raymond, to host a Football Centennial Brunch at the Hyatt Regency and launch the formation of the Veteran Footballers Foundation, and for which he served as President until his passing. And last year, served as a member of the TTFA’s Constitution Review Committee of the Independent Football Reform Commission (IFRC), that was responsible for delivering the new TTFA Constitution, eventually ratified by CONCACAF, FIFA and the TTFA’s stakeholders.

Gwenwyn was also quite a ladies-man, and a party-animal too, and who could forget those wonderful parties at 21 Ajodha Street. Forever the optimist, when informed a month ago that his former Richmond Street classmate, Les Slater, was celebrating his 75th, Gwenwyn wished him well and said he was looking forward to his own, next year.

Gwenwyn is survived by his wife, Keren, his brothers, Erthwyn “Noble”, Gaveston and Elton, his children Cheryl-Anne Harris, Sean, Wyncia, Ciawyn, Isaiah, his in-laws, his grandchildren, and a number of nieces and nephews. Gwenwyn also had two sisters: The late Edris and Germain – May they Rest In Peace!

Gwenwyn Cust was a loving Husband, Father, Brother, Son, Grandfather, Cousin, Uncle,

colleague and good friend to all who knew him, and he will be missed dearly.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 23, 2015, 11:50:31 PM »
 :thumbsup:

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 24, 2015, 12:12:11 AM »
Football great Gwenwyn Cust passes on
T&T Newsday

FORMER NATIONAL footballer Gwenwyn Cust has died.

The man whose name is synonymous with the great Colts football team of the 50s and 60s passed away yesterday morning at the age of 76, a victim of cancer.

At the time of his passing, Cust was president of the Veterans Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago (VFFOTT ).

VFFOTT vice-president Selby Browne, a long-standing friend, said that Cust had made “an invaluable contribution to football in Trinidad and Tobago, having contributed to all aspects of the game.

He personally led the demand for footballers’ representation at the administrative level, with his stand, when the Trinidad and Tobago national footballers took a forthright position in the 1960s.” Cust and several other TT players were suspended after a tour of Costa Rica, after which the late Trevor Smith publicly burnt his football boots in protest and forever after was known as “Burnt Boots.” Browne recalled that Cust started his career playing for Richmond Street Boys Primary School, alongside Philbert Cummings, elder brother of former national player and coach Everald “Gally” Cummings.

Later, he played for Tranquillity Boys, later to become Tranquillity Secondary.

But it was at club level that Gwenwyn Cust will best be remembered.

He was a striker of slight build but on the playing field he was a giant.

Cust played for the legendary Colts team of Belmont, where he developed a reputation for his dribbling skills and his ability to read the game, enthralling the fans who thronged the field in front of the Grand Stand at the Queen’s Park Savannah, which was then the unofficial “headquarters” of TT football.

Apart from Colts and the national team, the ever-smiling Cust was also a regular in the annual North/South Classics.

Cust was also a schoolteacher; after retiring from the national team in the early 1970’s, he moved to San Juan, where he coached Challengers for almost two decades. He served as president of VFFOTT to the end.

“He was a man of integrity, moral fabric and a gentleman with his God as his guide,” said Browne. “He was as an exemplar, a father figure who molded young boys into men of principle and good character. Gwenwyn was knowledgeable, a motivator, excellent strategist and had a keen sense of his footballer’s capabilities and weaknesses.” Gwenwyn Cust leaves to mourn his wife Keren, their children and grandchildren and his brothers and sisters.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 24, 2015, 12:31:10 AM »
Don Howe, former England defender and Arsenal manager, dies aged 80
The Guardian

• Howe was Arsenal’s last English manager, from 1983-86

The former Arsenal and West Bromwich Albion full-back Don Howe has died, aged 80.

Howe won 23 caps for England and was in the backroom staff of Ron Greenwood, Sir Bobby Robson and Terry Venables when they were managing England.

He is also remembered for managing both the Gunners and the Baggies, as well as QPR and Galatasaray.

“It is terribly sad news and our thoughts are with Don’s family,” said the FA chairman, Greg Dyke.

Howe was part of the Three Lions set-up for their two most successful tournaments in recent history, working with both Robson and Venables as they reached the semi-finals of the 1990 World Cup and the 1996 European Championship, and was assistant to Terry Neill when Arsenal won the 1979 FA Cup.

Dyke added: “He is widely regarded as being in the vanguard of coaching in England and I know that his loss will be keenly felt amongst the coaching fraternity in particular and not least by Roy Hodgson, who was close to Don.

“He was a fine player – named as one of West Bromwich Albion’s finest – and, of course, he went on to play an integral part in Arsenal’s history as a coach and later as manager.

“For his country, he not only appeared in a World Cup but he was instrumental in both Sir Bobby Robson’s management team for Italia ‘90 and Euro ‘96 where he assisted Terry Venables.

“Even in his latter years I understand he continued to pass on his knowledge and advice to aspiring young coaches.

“It is a great loss for English football, especially following on so soon after the sad passing of Jimmy Hill.”

Howe was involved with Arsenal for five decades, joining them as a player in 1964 and going on to be coach, assistant manager, caretaker manager and eventually manager in 1984.

He returned as youth team coach at the Gunners in 1997 before retiring in 2003.

Arsenal’s chairman, Sir Chips Keswick, said: “We were aware Don had been enduring a long battle with illness but it was still a shock to learn the news about someone who was loved by so many people at the club, and who had such a remarkable influence as a player, coach and manager here.

“Don possessed a marvellous ability to get the very best out of players with his coaching techniques and provide them with the perfect preparation for matches. He was the very best at what he did - and he did it with us, at Arsenal, for decade after decade.

“He will be greatly missed by everyone who knew him and his name will live on in the history books as one of the most influential footballing figures in the history of the club.”

A West Brom statement added: “It is with great sadness that West Bromwich Albion today announce the death of legendary right-back and one-time manager Don Howe, aged 80.

“Local lad Howe made 379 appearances for the club, scoring 19 times, during a 14-year spell at The Hawthorns.

“In 2004, he was named as one of West Bromwich Albion’s 16 greatest players, in a poll organised as part of the club’s 125th anniversary celebrations.”

Former Arsenal midfielder Paul Merson was thankful for Howe for allowing his Gunners career to get started and called him a trailblazer in the coaching game.

He told Sky Sports News: “He gave me a contract when a lot of people wouldn’t.

“He was so far ahead of his time it was scary. You talk about the Wengers and people like that, he was the best coach in the world of football, not just in England in the world of football. He was a phenomenal, phenomenal coach.

“You won’t find anyone in the game that had a bad word to say about Don Howe. He was one of the nicest blokes I have ever met.”

Former England striker Gary Lineker, who was coached by Howe, added on Twitter: “Sad to see that Don Howe has passed away. It was a privilege to have known and been trained by him. A great coach and a lovely man. RIP.”

Bobby Gould, who had Howe on his coaching staff when Wimbledon famously won the FA Cup in 1988, also said on Twitter: “The loss of JH, then another soul mate Don Howe passes away. To Pauline & Family our thoughts are with U love Gouldy x.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Funeral arrangements for Gwenwyn Cust
« Reply #596 on: December 24, 2015, 09:45:26 PM »
Funeral arrangements for Gwenwyn Cust
VFFOTT Secretariat

Mr. Selby Browne, Vice President, of the Veteran Footballers Foundation of Trinidad and Tobago (VFFOTT) confirmed the funeral for our President, Mr. Gwenwyn Cust will be held on Thursday 31st December 2015 at the Holy Trinity Anglican Cathedral, Abercrombie Street, Port of Spain. 

Mr. Browne also confirmed the Annual VFFOTT Carnival Lime would be held in Gwenwyn’s  honour, on Sunday 31st January 2016 at the Barataria Sports Complex, Barataria, at 3:00pm.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 25, 2015, 10:23:41 AM »
Allyuh hold dis fuh now ... a throwback article about Alvaro Recoba dated November 22, 2003. Iz jes a teaser.

Recoba's riddle
By John Carlin, The Guardian

If Arsenal were hammered 3-0 at Highbury by an Internazionale side missing their two most talented players, what chance do they have in the return game this week at the San Siro, where the Londoners must win to avoid another embarrassing premature exit from the Champions League?

Christian Vieri, the best battering ram in football and Alvaro Recoba, the world's number one almost-great player, are back in the Inter side but, the vagaries of football being what they are, Arsenal naturally have every chance in the world of doing what they have to do. When Real Madrid lost 4-1 two weeks ago to Sevilla, Florentino Pérez, the Real president when asked after the game to comment, said that in football, as in life, 'accidents happen'. Perhaps that is the best way to describe the 3-0 defeat Arsenal suffered against a team that, in all other respects, was going through a miserable patch. So much so that since then the coach, Héctor Cúper, has been sacked and replaced by Alberto Zaccheroni.

One reason Cúper was sacked was that he refused to play Recoba, Inter's best-paid player and, until he took a voluntary wage cut in the summer, the best-paid in the world. Massimo Moratti, the Inter president, fumed at the ultra-defensive former coach's insistence that Recoba did not fit his utilitarian scheme (another reason why that Highbury result was so abhorrent). One of the first things 'Zac' said on being appointed was that Recoba would always be in his starting line-up - as powerful a statement as he could make of the philosophical revolution he intended to bring about.

Recoba - Uruguayan, nickname ' El Chino ' (the Chinese) because of his Oriental features - would be an adornment to any team in the world. Sandro Mazzola, star of the legendary Inter team of the 1960s, spotted him in 1996 playing for Nacional of Montevideo. Only 20, Recoba was in the middle of a run that would see him score 30 goals in 27 league games. Mazzola, convinced he had stumbled across a genius, notified his friend Moratti, who promptly shipped him over to Italy.

Recoba's first game in Serie A sealed Moratti's relationship with Mazzola for evermore. The young Uruguayan scored two goals in a 2-1 win over Brescia - the first a rocket from nearly 40 yards out, the second one of those free-kicks that rises over the defensive wall then, defying the known laws of physics, drops like a stone into the net. No one had ever witnessed a more stunning debut. His left foot not only packed amazing power and precision, it possessed exquisite touch. Beautifully balanced and deceptively fast, he was a classic winger on the dribble, lethal on the turn inside the box. Maradona, it seemed, had been reborn.

Yet Recoba not quite cut it that first season. He is almost as short as Maradona but less chunky, and the Serie A defenders were too rough and strong for him. In his second season, Inter loaned him out to struggling Venezia. With 11 goals in 19 games, he was almost singlehandedly responsible for saving them from the drop. Mention Recoba today in the city of the canals and they'll tell you he's the biggest thing they've seen since Tintoretto.

Inter grabbed him back for the 1999-2000 season. He scored 10 goals in 28 games and made countless more. The apple of Moratti's eye, Recoba clinched a £4million after-tax annual salary at the end of 2000, making him the world's highest paid player. At which point things started to go steadily downhill.

Partly it was injuries, partly it was a ban he received for acquiring a fabricated Portuguese passport, partly it was his inability to gel with the dour Cúper. Recoba has played these last three seasons only sporadically. When he has started games, he has had a tendency to fade, possibly the consequence of never having the opportunity to get fully match fit. Yet he always produces his moments of magic: the extraordinary free-kicks, the magnificent shots from outside the area, the beautifully weighted passes, every bit as good as David Beckham's. And then there are, indeed, Maradona moments, such as the goal he scored on 17 March last year against Lecce, when he jinked and bobbed his way past the entire rival defence before crashing the ball into the net.

Now, with Zaccheroni in charge, Recoba has no more excuses. At 27, and injury-free, he has the necessary backing and the big stage on which to do great things, to live up to the potential the whole of Italy saw in him on his arrival six years ago. The question is whether he will make the leap to consistency that true greatness demands or whether he will remain for the rest of his career in the ranks of the only fleetingly brilliant almost-greats. Will he become a regular challenger for European footballer of the year - the way Zinedine Zidane, Thierry Henry, Luís Figo, Beckham and Ronaldo have - or will he remain like David Ginola, the perfect example of a player who had all the attributes but lacked the mental edge to make it really big.

Other examples of such players? Alexander Mostovoi, Celta Vigo's Russian midfielder known as 'the Czar', a fabulously gifted all-rounder, elegant and tough, who can score with his head and both feet yet never quite imposes his presence over the length of a season. Juan Verón did well at Lazio, and maybe now he will do well again at Chelsea, but at Manchester United he looked like the most overvalued of players, blessed with all the ability but incapable of deploying it effectively - like a Ferrari stuck in second gear. Joe Cole could be another: he threatens and threatens to become a major force in world football, and has been billed for three years as England's answer to Zidane, but so far has flattered - his glittering first half against Denmark last weekend notwithstanding - to deceive.

Ruud van Nistelrooy is the perfect example of a player who is the precise opposite of these almost-greats. Raúl another. Neither has the technical ability of Recoba, Cole, or Mostovoi; neither is a brilliant trickster on the ball, but they have the heads of champions. They are clever, they battle and they have the discipline and dedication to maximise what skills they have.

Transfer the attitude of Van Nistelrooy or Raúl or, for that matter, Beckham or Roy Keane, to Recoba and he could indeed be the biggest thing since Maradona. But it is a mighty big 'if'. The raw material is there, but if you had to bet on it?

Let us hope, for the sake of Arsenal, that San Siro on Tuesday night does not come to be remembered as the moment when the Uruguayan finally turned the corner, when he transformed his natural genius into footballing gold.

John Carlin is a journalist and author. His book Playing the Enemy: Nelson Mandela and the Game that Made a Nation about the 1995 Rugby World Cup is the basis for the 2009 film Invictus.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/lmlWYuo7EIU" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/lmlWYuo7EIU</a>

Recoba discussing his decision to retire:
http://www.ovaciondigital.com.uy/futbol/no-quiero-estar-nacional-unicamente.html

« Last Edit: December 25, 2015, 10:37:15 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: December 26, 2015, 10:04:45 AM »
RIP to my former St Francois Nationals coach Albert Goddard :'(

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 26, 2015, 01:17:14 PM »
Is it inappropriate to add Louis Van Gaal to this thread?

As manager of Man United I mean
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

1]; } ?>