April 23, 2024, 07:25:00 AM

Author Topic: The In Memory Of Thread  (Read 165500 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: The In Memory Of Thread
« Reply #780 on: July 10, 2018, 04:39:29 PM »
RIP Mr. Issa.

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #781 on: July 10, 2018, 04:53:43 PM »
                           The Prince is Dead
Word is that Carlton"Squeakie" Hinds -The Prince of Forwards
passed this morning
RIP
Dtool

Offline dtool

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #782 on: July 14, 2018, 12:59:12 PM »

For those wishing to attend the funeral of "The Prince of Forwards"

Funeral on Tue 17 th July 2018 at St. Crispin's E C W/brook 9:30 am,
Cremation 12 noon

R. I. P.
Dtool

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ray "Pumpin Jack" Roberts
« Reply #783 on: September 21, 2018, 10:08:02 PM »
Heard that Ray "Pumpin Jack" Roberts passed away yesterday (Friday, September 21st 2018) in Dalley's Village, Santa Flora. Reputed to be the hardest kicker in Trinidad and Tobago football history.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline davyjenny1

• duaneoconnor-tt.com
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com
Re: Ray "Pumpin Jack" Roberts
« Reply #784 on: September 21, 2018, 11:44:47 PM »
Sad :(  news again. Yep!  he was the hardest kicker in Trinidad and Tobago football.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination.

Your Knowledge is directly related to your potential income.
 http://www.duaneoconnor-tt.com

Offline Yogi

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #785 on: September 25, 2018, 03:44:39 PM »
For those wishing to attend the Funeral of Raymond "Pumping Jack" Roberts.

It will be at the Los Bajos RC Church at 11am Thursday September 27, 2018.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #786 on: September 26, 2018, 05:01:46 AM »
For those wishing to attend the Funeral of Raymond "Pumping Jack" Roberts.

It will be at the Los Bajos RC Church at 11am Thursday September 27, 2018.

5:00 p.m, cremation at Belgroves Crematorium, #107-109 Coffee Street, San Fernando.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #787 on: September 26, 2018, 08:56:12 AM »
So who writing de bio?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #788 on: September 28, 2018, 06:25:54 AM »
I first heard of Ray Roberts by reading the newspaper articles about this hard kicker from South. Also listening to a North South game on radio and hearing the crowd screaming when he about to shoot. Ray was from South, so I did not see him play much. I first saw him play when he came on as a sub in a game against Chelsea in the QPO. Chelsea had just won the Euro Cup winners cup. So You could imagine all the excitement in the Carib-Guiness stands. Chelsea had us 3-1. He came on with about 15-20 mins. to go. Chelsea were really coasting and we counteracting. He beat Chelsea's offside trap, ran on to a bouncing ball, controlled and hit a hard low shot past Bonetti out stretched hands. The Oval was in an uproar. I also saw him in play at Geo. V park for SFL vs POSFL. A couple hard shots here and there. But the SFL team played a nice brand that night. A very entertaining game played in front a crowd about 10,000 fans. Also saw him practicing with the national on QRC ground. Again, it was some stinging hard shots at Gerald Figeroux, the TT and Paragon keeper.

I think he played for Caroni in his later days. Correct me on that. I think he became an avid golf player. Homies could expand on that manner of his exploits. But RIP, Mr. Ray. Thanks for the nice memories. God Bless.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2018, 06:29:44 AM by Deeks »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #789 on: September 28, 2018, 10:41:07 AM »
Many years ago,I played with a friend, Franklyn 'Squeeze' Roberts, he had the hardest shot I ever had to put my head to in life. Nuff headache i get heading his crosses and corners. I said 'Squeeze' yuh trying to kill ppl or what ?', If his shot was on goal, goalie used to dive outta the way.
Squeeze say "Be glad yuh don't have to play with my brother, he does kick harder than me. He kill ah man with ah bullet once, just score the goal man, that fella coulda be you"  ;D

Is that true ? Is Ray, Franklyn brother ? 

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #790 on: September 29, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »

As far as I know, he doesn't have a brother named Franklyn. His brothers are Glen, Augustine, and Roger.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #791 on: September 29, 2018, 04:03:01 PM »

As far as I know, he doesn't have a brother named Franklyn. His brothers are Glen, Augustine, and Roger.
Thanks Tman, guessin another family

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #792 on: September 29, 2018, 09:09:00 PM »
RIP Ray Roberts.  Hard kicking a football is a lost art these days

Now the ball must be have something to do with it.  Back in the day, the ball was heavier and had laces.  When t was wet, it was tougher to head the ball.  Kicking the ball hard was an art.

In Colleges League, Gavin Onaba, Ronnie Simmons, Emerson Dubisson, Birain Big Bird Brown were all hard kickers of the ball

In more recent times....Elliott Allen and Kerry Jamersok come to mind

Is there anyone in local football now at any level mainly famous for their hard shot?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #793 on: October 01, 2018, 09:52:06 PM »
RIP Ray Roberts.  Hard kicking a football is a lost art these days

Now the ball must be have something to do with it.  Back in the day, the ball was heavier and had laces.  When t was wet, it was tougher to head the ball.  Kicking the ball hard was an art.

In Colleges League, Gavin Onaba, Ronnie Simmons, Emerson Dubisson, Birain Big Bird Brown were all hard kickers of the ball

In more recent times....Elliott Allen and Kerry Jamersok come to mind

Is there anyone in local football now at any level mainly famous for their hard shot?
Hardest

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #794 on: October 01, 2018, 11:01:22 PM »
Although Ray was a hard kicker, there are some I think can rival him. Richard Chinapoo, Dennis Morgan(Fire Services & TT), Ronnie Simmons, Victor Gamaldo, Tony Douglas.

Offline presspass

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #795 on: October 02, 2018, 01:42:19 PM »
Ray Roberts: A blistering shot like no other
Ex-TT striker laid to rest

NEWSDAY Friday 28 September 2018

FONDLY remembered for his quiet and unassuming personality, former national striker Raymond Roberts was equally memorialised for his reputation on the pitch as “explosive” in front of the goal.

Roberts was laid to rest yesterday following a funeral service at the Los Bajos RC Church, located in his home town Palo Seco.

He died last Friday at the age of 68 following a lengthy bout with cancer. He left to mourn his wife and two daughters.

Roberts’ contributions to his club, south Trinidad and the nation itself, are something to cherish, said former TT football team coach Edgar Vidale, who trained him at all stages.

And, according to Vidale, there was one particular attribute about Roberts that stood him out from any other footballer that he ever managed, which was “his shot, his powerful and accurate shot.”

“One of his assets as a footballer, one that brought him on to the national team, was his powerful kicking,” said Vidale.

“I’ve never seen anybody since then or even before, there may be very few, if any at all, who had that ability to shoot that ball so powerfully.”

In reminiscing on Roberts’ footballing career, Vidale recounted a series of incidents that stood out to him, which brought Roberts into football prominence.

During the years of the Inter League – a championship featuring the top teams from the various zonal competitions across the country – zones and teams from the north were dominant.

“It happened on two successive weekends. The SFL, which was the league we played in down here, of which I was coach of, played the Port of Spain League in the final which would determine the winner of the Inter League that year and it would have taken away the supremacy of the north.”

As Vidale recalled, with the scores locked at 1-1, he introduced Roberts onto the field with 20 minutes remaining in the match.

“In fact, Ray Roberts got to be known as the ‘20-Minute Wonder Boy’,” Vidale said.

“The people there didn’t really know him. So he hurried onto the field without a warm-up or anything. And this was about 30 yards from the goal and there was (national) goalkeeper in goal, Gerald Figeroux.”

“Because of his power, whenever he had a free kick, he was asked to hit it to the neck or the face of the wall and I don’t think anyone was so stupid to put their head on a ball like that.

“For this particular evening, he did exactly that. And I always said to myself, like in the bible, like the miracle of Moses parting the sea, the wall just moved. Because anyone putting their head on that ball ending up in the hospital. And that sank into the...the goalkeeper didn’t even know what happened. So with that, we won the game 2-1.”

One week later at the same venue, the Queen’s Park Oval in St Clair, according to Vidale, a very similar incident occurred.

“Well, the first was an indirect free kick. This was a direct. And again, I did the same thing. And now the players knew. So it made it worse because they’re not going to put themselves in the path, and he repeated it. He repeated it!”

Vidale recalled the height of the north-south rivalry and Roberts’ game-changing influence.

“As far as I’m concerned, Ray Roberts helped take away the supremacy of the north on those two occasions.”

But there was one more incident, which left a lasting impression on the veteran coach.

“No one else remembers this... It was a game against Suriname.”

The match determined the team, either Suriname or TT, which would advance to Haiti for the final round of CONCACAF qualifiers for the 1974 FIFA World Cup in West Germany.

“The situation was that Suriname was so confident that they would’ve been the team going that they decided to play both their matches in Trinidad because they were repairing their main stadium. So they came here and in the first game in the Oval (our home match), we beat them 2-1,” said Vidale.

The second match was played two nights later at Skinner Park, San Fernando, which was recognised as Suriname’s home leg.

“Almost the same thing happened, but 15 minutes before the end of the game. I got the opportunity to put him in. They were playing better than us with a powerful midfield and I gave him the same instructions. And this was no free kick. (I told him) ‘Any time you get free (space) anywhere 30 yards away, shoot to goal.’ Because apart from the power, he was one of the most accurate kickers of the ball in those times… Even now.

“Anyhow, sometimes these things make you a genius and sometimes it doesn’t happen and it makes you a moron.

“So, it happened. Just as he went on to the field, he got one (shot) just on the 18 yard and he really exploded. There had a fellah named Lilac in goal for Suriname – he missed it and that ball was so powerfully hit, when it hit the crossbar, it came back out to Steve David, who was just standing near to Roberts.

“He (David) took it on his thigh and before it hit the ground, he let go a volley when Lilac didn’t even recover from the dive yet. And that, that caused us to go to Haiti. But it was not David’s shot. It was Roberts shot that gave David the opportunity to do that.”

Three weeks before his first leg goal against Suriname, Roberts scored his first TT goal in a 11-1 win over Antigua and Barbuda.

Roberts went on to feature in the final round of qualifiers for the 1974 World Cup. He played for most of the infamous match against Haiti in 1973 in which TT were disallowed as many as five goals, a couple of which he helped build up. Haiti won that game 2-1.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: October 30, 2018, 10:23:16 AM »
RIP Daniel Correa Freitas, former São Paulo player who appears to have been done in by another Lorena Bobbit.

Investigations are continuing.

www1.folha.uol.com.br/amp/esporte/2018/10/meia-daniel-ex-sao-paulo-e-encontrado-morto-em-matagal-no-parana.shtml
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 10:52:15 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: December 27, 2018, 05:06:26 PM »
Armchair Analyst: My memories of legendary MLS head coach Sigi Schmid
By Matthew Doyle, mlssoccer.com

There will be other, better remembrances of Sigi Schmid by folks who knew him longer and more thoroughly than I ever did. They will come from players who played for him, coaches who learned their trade from him, colleagues and foes, comrades in arms in building this unique and multi-cultural soccer nation of ours.

Sigi Schmid, an immigrant, came to the US and helped build the game here. He played college soccer, and then he coached college soccer. And he was an assistant with the USMNT, and the head coach of the US U-20s, and the head coach at three separate MLS clubs, and he won – a lot – wherever he went. On a grand, decades-long scale, he left things in much, much better condition than he found them in. He took things that were broken and, multiple times, fixed them. And then he held up a trophy.

Sigi Schmid, the soccer coach, was the first in MLS history to win the MLS Cup/Supporters' Shield double at two different clubs. He did it in 2002 with the LA Galaxy, then did it again six years later with Columbus Crew SC. He will always be the first to have done that. There will be other, better remembrances of those teams by the players who played for them, the men and women who covered them, or who cheered for them, who sang for them until they were hoarse.

There are two particular moments about Sigi that I really want to recount here, though.

The first came way back on June 11, 2005. I remember the date because that's the day the US U-20s, coached by Schmid, played the Argentine U-20s. It doesn't matter who the Argentine U-20s were coached by; what matters is that they were led by a playmaker named Lionel Messi, and... I mean, everybody knew. Yes, Argentina were loaded, but what mattered was not letting Messi drop five on you.

Sigi was a well-respected coach (despite having been fired by the Galaxy the previous year... while the team was still in first place), but not known as a tinkerer. He didn't hit you with wrinkles. Rather, he put his team out in their best shape, with their best players, and said "go ahead and see if you can beat us."

That day, he threw out a wrinkle: He had the relatively unknown playmaker he'd discovered via his contacts at UCLA – a kid by the name of Benny Feilhaber – play a purely man-marking, defensive role. Feilhaber's job wasn't to get on the ball, or protect a given zone; rather, it was to make Messi's life entirely miserable.

And that's what he did, staying on Messi's hip the entire second half. Schmid's gambit kept the greatest player our sport has ever seen out of the game, which the US won 1-0. They'd go on to draw Germany 0-0, then beat Egypt 1-0 before getting dunked on by Graziano Pelle and Italy by 3-1 in the Round of 16. It was an entirely respectable showing.

That US team was really good, but they had no business coming out on top against that version of Argentina, one that won every other game they played in that tournament. Messi took the field seven times that month, and either scored or assisted in six of them. Only the US kept him off the board.

It's still maybe the best single-game wrinkle I've ever seen a US coach throw out there, at any level.

The second really indelible memory I have of Schmid is more recent, coming just over two years ago. In the months after he'd been dismissed by the Seattle Sounders, Schmid came to work with us at MLSsoccer.com in the studio, doing long shows for Decision Day and the playoffs. This is where I really got to know him as a warm, generous and fun guy to be around. I've been around a lot of professional coaches and athletes, and there are few I'd describe as "light-hearted." Sigi was – or at least, could be for long stretches of time.

That's not the part, though. The part is this: I watched that year's MLS Cup with Sigi. The 2016 MLS Cup. The one the Sounders won just months after he was let go as head coach.

I was there with him, watching as Roman Torres banged in the decisive penalty, and looked over to see the strangest look of both agony and ecstasy on Sigi's face. Ecstasy because this was the club he'd built, for their MLS years. Seattle was where he'd lived for a decade. His son still worked for the team. This was the club guided by his friend Brian Schmetzer, who'd known Sigi for decades and been his right-hand man for nearly 10 years. These were the players he'd drafted and signed and recruited and managed.

Agony because, as he looked at the fans... "*&%#," Schmid said, and then again. There was unmistakeable redness rimming his eyes. "I wanted to give this to them. I wanted to give this to them so bad."

Sigi Schmid is gone now, and may he rest in peace. The things he gave us – all of us in MLS, and in US soccer – will last lifetimes.

Sigi Schmid, Sounders’ first MLS coach, dies at 65
By Geoff Baker, Seattle Times

Even before stars like Fredy Montero, Kasey Keller, Clint Dempsey and Stefan Frei put the Sounders on the Major League Soccer map, the team’s defining acquisition had been a German-born head coach with a penchant for winning games.

Siegfried (Sigi) Schmid, who died Tuesday in Los Angeles at age 65, had just guided the Columbus Crew to the 2008 MLS Cup championship when the Sounders proceeded to poach him as their own. It wasn’t easy; the Crew filed tampering charges and claimed a vaguely worded noncompete clause prevented Schmid from moving anywhere.

But a subsequent MLS investigation cleared the team of tampering and the Sounders paid the Crew a financial settlement on the noncompete clause to allow the two-time MLS Cup winner and Coach of the Year to join the Emerald City’s fledgling expansion franchise. The initial headaches ultimately proved worth it — the Schmid-led Sounders becoming a template for MLS franchises and expansion squads everywhere by making the playoffs in each of seven consecutive seasons.

“From the moment we hired Sigi, I knew it was the right decision and that he was the right man for this particular club,’’ owner Adrian Hanauer said last year. “I feel that even more strongly today.’’

Schmid would go on to post the most wins of any MLS coach — 266 in the regular season and playoffs combined.

“Our family is deeply saddened by his passing and is taking this time to grieve the loss of a tremendous husband, father, leader and mentor,” Schmid’s family said in a statement. “We also recognize how much Sigi meant to so many people across the U.S. Soccer landscape and around the world at different levels of the game. That community meant a great deal to him as well, and for that reason, it was important to us that we share the news of his passing.

“While we mourn his loss, we appreciate privacy during this challenging time and will not be issuing further statements.”

Schmid’s family said he died of a “personal health matter.” The Los Angeles Times reports he spent three weeks at Ronald Reagan UCLA Medical Center in need of a heart transplant.

“Today’s news comes as a shock and a devastating blow to our entire community across MLS and U.S. Soccer,” Hanauer said Wednesday in a statement. “Sigi was someone I respected immensely, not only for his success as a coach and dedication to his craft, but more importantly as a man and someone that truly left a positive mark on the people he encountered every day.

“He will be missed greatly by a lot of people, and on behalf of the soccer community here in Seattle, I can say that we would not be where we are now without him.”

Schmid was more than just a bench boss in Seattle; he was the legitimacy and credibility needed by the new franchise to attract quality players that would convince fans to buy tickets.

One of the players most impressed by Schmid was midfielder Brad Evans, who’d played for him on the 2008 champion Columbus squad. Just days after that victory, with Evans still making his way home, he learned that Seattle had selected him in that year’s expansion draft.

A few weeks later, Evans got a call from Schmid, who’d finally been allowed to join the new team. Evans relayed the conversation for the book “100 Things Sounders Fans Should Know and Do Before They Die.”

“He told me, ‘We’ve already got 5,000 season tickets sold,’’’ Evans said. “He told me, ‘We’re doing something special up here, the ownership is second to none and the GM is willing to do whatever it takes to get this team off the ground and running.’’’

Schmid’s reassurances helped ease the uncertainty Evans had about an unknown Seattle commodity. Evans would go on to become one of the most memorable players in Sounders history, eventually becoming their captain and a member of the U.S. Men’s National Team.

Where some players saw Schmid as a stoic, even aloof head coach, Evans had grown to know the man and became a trusted player confidant.

“I think the record speaks for itself,’’ Evans said. “As one of our great assistant coaches, Ezra Hendrickson, would always say, ‘They never ask how, they just ask how many.’’’

The final Schmid tally in Seattle: a 2014 Supporters’ Shield for the top regular-season record and four U.S. Open Cup championships. And legitimacy for a franchise that set MLS attendance records every year of his 7½-season coaching run.

Alas, Schmid never did add a third MLS Cup championship at the helm of his third team. That 2014 squad came the closest, edging the Galaxy for the Supporters’ Shield on the season’s final day only to lose a heartbreaker at home in the decisive Western Conference final match.

“Major League Soccer is devastated by the news of the passing of Sigi Schmid,” MLS commissioner Don Garber said in a statement. “Sigi will go down as one of the leading figures in the history of our league. From Los Angeles to Columbus and Seattle, Sigi won more games than any coach in MLS history and led his clubs to multiple championships, including two MLS Cups and five Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cups.

“Sigi’s passion for soccer was unrivaled, and he was loved and admired by everyone in MLS. We deeply mourn his passing and send our heartfelt condolences to his wife Valerie, their children, and all of his loved ones.”

Schmid’s reign with the Sounders was never really the same after 2014. It ended midway through a disappointing 2016 campaign that ultimately turned around in stunning fashion behind assistant Brian Schmetzer and resulted in the franchise’s only MLS Cup victory that year.

It would be a full year before Schmid returned to coaching.

He’d rarely had that long previously to contemplate his future, enjoying a stellar 19-year run with UCLA before joining the Galaxy five games into the 1999 season to replace Octavio Zambrano. Schmid would stay with the team just more than five seasons before being fired midway through 2004.

Then, after a season coaching the U.S. U20 squad, Schmid was hired by the Crew in 2006. It would be a full decade before his next prolonged time off came.

After his 2016 firing by the Sounders, Schmid, having taken 12 months away from the game, was hired by the Galaxy for a second go-round in July 2017. His first match, two days later, was against the Sounders in Carson, Calif. A Galaxy team lifeless for much of that season played the defending champion Sounders with a ferocity rarely seen that season and the game ended in a 0-0 draw.

Several Sounders warmly greeted their former coach post-match.

“He’s a great coach,” Sounders goalkeeper Frei said. “I’ve said this before, but he means a tremendous amount to me because of the way he resurrected my career. So, it’s good to see him get another shot. And I told him he can turn things around with L.A. As much as I don’t want that to happen because we know how dangerous they are if they get into the playoffs, I (wish) him all the best.’’

Schmid after the game admitted he was thrilled to be working in MLS again.

“It was great to be back on that sideline,’’ Schmid said. “I don’t know what it is, but I love this game. Nobody’s ever going to take that away from me. It’s just a passion and hopefully I can convey that passion on to my teams and my players.’’

Schmid engineered a flurry of offseason moves to restock the Galaxy and had them well positioned to make the playoffs with a strong first half in 2018. But then a late-summer swoon the team couldn’t pull out of eventually cost him his final job come September.

Both the Galaxy and Schmid termed it a mutual parting. There had been talk as the season progressed that Schmid was not physically looking well and those close to him expressed concern for his health. Schmid at the time denied his health had anything to do with the decision.

As chronicled by former Seattle Times soccer beat writer Matt Pentz for his upcoming book “The Sound and the Glory,” few people knew that Schmid had a health scare during the 2015 season with the Sounders. He was hospitalized four days with a heart-related condition and had discussed with his family whether it was wise to continue coaching.

Schmid’s wife, Valerie, and four children gave him the green light to continue.

“Everybody knows I’d probably be a miserable guy to be around if I wasn’t coaching,’’ Schmid says in the book.

In the end, he missed but two games and later said he hated every minute of it.

“Going through what I did, it just reinforced to me that this is what I love to do,’’ he said. “I want to do it for as long as I can and as long as people think I’m capable of doing it.’’

Sounders strike gold in getting Sigi Schmid as coach
By Steve Kelley, Seattle Times

The catch in Sigi Schmid's voice caught him by surprise. The sudden rush of emotion, the suddenly vivid thoughts of his late mother Doris, blindsided him as he spoke at Tuesday morning's news conference.

The first coach of Seattle’s new soccer club, Sounders FC, was talking about his younger brother Roland, who lives in Sammamish. He was mentioning how excited he was to be living in the same city as his brother for the first time since 1992.

And then he thought about his mother, who died when Sigi was 23 and Roland was 13. In a crowded meeting room inside Qwest Field, he paused for a moment, gathered himself and smiled.

“As you can tell, I’m an emotional guy,” Schmid said, as his brother looked on from the back of the room.

After their mom’s death, Roland leaned on Sigi to show him how to progress through American schools, American soccer, American life.

Sigi mentored his brother with the same combination of compassion and counsel that he has mentored soccer players at UCLA and in MLS with the Los Angeles Galaxy and Columbus Crew.

“After our mother died, he absolutely kind of automatically became brother-slash-father figure,” said Roland Schmid, who played for his brother at UCLA.

“He gave me a lot of guidance. When he first came out of high school and went to college he had some mentors who helped him through that decision. Our parents came from Germany and they knew nothing about colleges, nothing about the process.

“I wasn’t going to get that kind of help from my father, either, so my brother helped me through all the school and all those things you do as American kids that we were not accustomed to.”

Even then, when he was helping his brother cope with the death of their mother and grieving her loss, Sigi Schmid, who came to this country with his parents when he was 7, was coaching. It seems he was born to this manner.

“Even though we were 10 years apart, it was never a situation where I was trying to get rid of my brother, so I could hang with some other people,” Sigi said after the news conference. “It was always a situation where I didn’t mind him hanging around.

“And when we lost our mother, it was a difficult time for him. And it was a real difficult time for my father [Fritz]. He was a typical German father who really didn’t do much around the house. He had to learn to cook and do all that stuff for himself. I was glad I was there because it offered sort of a respite from what my brother was going through with our dad.”

Sigi Schmid has been coaching all his adult life. And he has a résumé as thick as a Dostoyevsky novel.

He was the other wizard at Westwood. In 19 years at UCLA, Schmid was 322-63-33. He won three national championships, including an eight-overtime final in the Kingdome over American in 1985.

As a player at UCLA, he used to come into Pauley Pavilion from soccer practice and watch the last half-hour of basketball coach John Wooden’s practices. Schmid took mental notes.

“It was a tremendous education,” Schmid, 55, said. “Coach Wooden’s attention to detail, his attention to fundamentals and the quiet leadership. … He got the most out of every player.”

A mere 90 days before their opener at home against MLS runner-up New York Red Bulls, Sounders FC introduced Schmid to Seattle.

The Sounders struck gold with this first coaching hire. Short of stealing Sir Alex Ferguson from Manchester United, they couldn’t have done much better.

How many expansion teams hire their league’s reigning coach of the year? How many expansion teams hire the coach of the league champions?

“When I used to talk with Sigi, I always came away thinking, ‘OK, I think I’ll try that,’ ” said Seattle Sounders alum Jimmy Gabriel, who coached against Schmid as an assistant at Washington. “He’s got good ideas about the game, solid ideas, but he’ll also have that little magic idea, something else that can turn a team around.”

While coaching the L.A. Galaxy, Schmid unlocked the secret to an underachieving team and led the Galaxy to the 2002 MLS Cup championship.

Last season he won again with Columbus.

“I think passionate would be the word for him,” said Sounders FC technical director Chris Henderson, who played for Schmid at UCLA and on U.S. national teams and has known the coach for 20 years.

“He can be an emotional guy. Definitely after winning he gets emotional. But also if there are times when he has to get on the team or on a player to motivate them, he’ll let you know that, too.

“I always felt like if I wanted to talk with Sigi I could walk into his office and talk with him about anything. That’s the kind of relationship he creates with the guys. He creates a bond with the players.”

Gabriel once told Schmid that soccer can’t be “fun, fun” and that it can’t be “serious, serious.”

It has to be “serious fun.”

Schmid practices that philosophy.

Henderson remembers the UCLA players, putting a new wrinkle onto an old cliché, occasionally dumping Gatorade on Schmid at the end of practices.

“We’d get him every once in a while after practice, and sometimes he was not happy about it,” Henderson said. “Those are just the things that bring a team together.

“He was still the coach and we respected that, of course, but we had that relationship with him where we felt like we could joke around.”

Sports in Seattle has been a little too serious for a little too long. The timing feels right for a dose of Sigi Schmid’s “serious fun.”
« Last Edit: December 27, 2018, 05:31:17 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: December 28, 2018, 01:01:40 PM »
One of the things that comes to mind is that Sigi would have been on the sidelines during one of the most heralded matches in US soccer history ... during a match played in Seattle that involved Trinbagonians on the opposing team.

Name the match and name the players.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
RIP Oliver Camps
« Reply #799 on: January 01, 2019, 03:09:00 PM »
Oliver Camps died today.
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Oliver Camps
« Reply #800 on: January 01, 2019, 04:17:32 PM »
RIP Ollie

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: January 01, 2019, 05:42:54 PM »
RIP Oliver Camps

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: January 01, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »
RIP Mr. Camps

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #803 on: January 02, 2019, 08:05:09 AM »
Ex-TTFA President Camps passes at 87 on New Year’s Day.
TTFA Media.

The Trinidad and Tobago Football Association (TTFA) extends deepest condolences to the family of Oliver Camps following his passing today. The former TTFA President was admitted to St Clair Medical on Boxing Day and passed just after midday today. He was 87.

Current TTFA President David John-Williams expressed his sympathy on the former President’s passing, saying “On behalf of the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association and the local footballing fraternity, I express my sincere sympathy and condolences for the loss of Oliver Camps, a past President of the local governing body for football.

“Mr Camps was a gentleman and longstanding servant to football whose career spanned over four decades from his time as a manager of our senior men’s team during the 1974 and 1990 World Cup qualifying campaigns to his tenure as President which began in 1992. Our thoughts and prayers  go out to the Camps family,” John-Williams stated.

Camps served as President of the local governing body between 1992 to 2012. He was also the Team Manager of the National Senior Men’s team during the 1974 and 1990 World Cup qualifying campaigns. Camps was also at the helm of the TTFA during the team’s qualification for the 2006 World Cup as well as the U-17 and U-20 World Cup qualifications in 2007 and 2009. He was also President and chairman of the Local Organising Committee for the the 2001 FIFA Under 17 Men’s World Cup and the 2010 FIFA Women’s U-17  World Cup, both hosted here in T&T.

“Mr Camps was a gentleman and longstanding servant to football whose career spanned over four decades from his time as a manager of our senior men’s team during the 1974 and 1990 World Cup qualifying campaigns to his tenure as President which began in 1992. Our thoughts and prayers  go out to the Camps family,” John-Williams stated.

Camps served as President of the local governing body between 1992 to 2012. He was also the Team Manager of the National Senior Men’s team during the 1974 and 1990 World Cup qualifying campaigns. Camps was also at the helm of the TTFA during the team’s qualification for the 2006 World Cup as well as the U-17 and U-20 World Cup qualifications in 2007 and 2009. He was also President and chairman of the Local Organising Committee for the the 2001 FIFA Under 17 Men’s World Cup and the 2010 FIFA Women’s U-17  World Cup, both hosted here in T&T.

RELATED NEWS

Warner: No substitute for Camps
By Stephon Nicholas (Newsday).

Ex-TTFA president dies at age 87

OLIVER Camps, who was the longest serving president of the TT Football Association (TTFA), is no more. Camps, an ex-chairman of Maritime General Insurance Company Limited, died yesterday morning at the age of 87, having served T&T football for close to four decades in several capacities.

He was the manager of the 1973 T&T team that lost 2-1 infamously to hosts Haiti (who topped the CONCACAF qualifying group and advanced to the 1974 FIFA World Cup in West Germany), and the Strike Squad team that was one point away from the 1990 World Cup in Italy. The visiting US team defeated T&T 1-0 on November 19, 1989 to join Costa Rica as the two CONCACAF representatives in Italy.

He was later elected president of the local football body in 1992, before resigning in controversial circumstances in October 2011 amidst a FIFA corruption scandal.

The ex-TTFA boss was embroiled in legal troubles as recently as January 2016 and had to sell one of his properties to pay an approximate $3.8 million debt owed to former national coach and Dutchman Wim Rijsbergen whose salary had not been paid by the TTFA (formerly TT Football Federation).

The TTFF, with Camps at the helm, also lost a legal battle with 13 members of the 2006 Soca Warriors team (including current men’s team assistant coach Stern John, Brent Sancho and Shaka Hislop) over non-payment of World Cup bonuses.

BEST EVER T&T FOOTBALL MANAGER

Ex-CONCACAF president and special adviser to the then-TTFF Jack Austin Warner yesterday declared there will be no replacement in T&T football for the late Camps.

“There is no substitute for Ollie Camps,” Warner said in a telephone interview. “There was so many (memories) about Camps that you can’t identify one thing. From Haiti in ’73 till 2006 (with the Soca Warriors’ World Cup participation) in Germany, there were so many high points.”

On the life of Camps, Warner said, “Camps was the greatest manager this country has ever seen, and possibly would ever see. Equally he was also the greatest president. When one looks at the shambles that football is in today, one can only grieve at the passing of Ollie Camps because the legacy he left in football has been destroyed. May his soul rest in peace.”

Camps was admitted to the St Clair Medical Centre last Wednesday (Boxing Day) after feeling ill. Warner said he visited him a few times, with the last visit on Monday. “I extend condolences to his family,” Warner said.

Warner and Camps shared a close relationship and helped chart the way forward for TT football. Both were however tainted by a FIFA scandal surrounding cash-for-votes which ended their football careers.

Camps, in an interview with UK Channel 4 in 2015, described Warner as a “brother” but claimed “he made me do the wrong thing.”

CAMPS’ RAPPORT WITH STRIKE SQUAD

Hutson “Barber” Charles yesterday reflected on the role Camps played as a manager of the Strike Squad who fell just shy of qualifying for the 1990 Italy World Cup.

Charles, who was a defensive midfielder in the Everald “Gally” Cummings-coached Strike Squad, said, “As a manager, he was a nice, cool guy, always willing to make sure all was comfortable. He had a nice rapport with the players and the technical staff. (He was) always a man you could approach for anything.”

Charles, who also served as joint national coach (with Jamaal Shabazz) from 2011-2013 and assistant to Stephen Hart from 2013-16, recalled how Camps was eager to encourage the players to perform to the best of their abilities. “He was passionate,” added Charles. “He was a good manager.”

Concerning his presidency, Charles said, “It was always a difficult period because you had Warner who was the adviser. But at that time, because of (their) relationship, things used to happen.” Brent Sancho, former T&T defender and a member of the Soca Warriors who were involved in the legal matter with the TTFF, said via Whatsapp, “My thoughts and prayers are with (his) family. Ollie had a lifetime commitment to the sport of football.”

Sancho continued, “He wasn’t the one that made the promise (to the Soca Warriors), however he still had the power to bring some sort of closure to it.”

The TTFA, in a brief media release, also extended condolences to Camps’ family.

Camps also held roles as president of The Harvard Club and chairman of the CONCACAF finance committee.

KEY TO MARITIME’S SUCCESS

Besides football, Camps was involved in the general insurance industry since the early 1960s and rose to the post of manager of Consolidated Finance Corporation, a general insurance agency of the Insurance Company of North America.

In 1978, Maritime INA General Insurance Company Limited was established in partnership with the Insurance Company of North America. This company later became Maritime General Insurance Company Limited.

Camps held senior positions in Maritime, including general manager (marketing) and director.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:08:18 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Harvard mourns Camps
« Reply #804 on: January 04, 2019, 11:08:15 AM »
Harvard mourns Camps
T&T Guardian

The Har­vard Club is mourn­ing the death of its for­mer Pres­i­dent and Pa­tron, Oliv­er Camps who died on Tues­day at the St Clair Med­ical af­ter be­ing ad­mit­ted on Box­ing Day. He was 87.

In a news re­lease, the club stat­ed that Camps had a strong claim on hav­ing had the most dis­tin­guished Club Mem­ber­ship ever. His mem­ber­ship with The Har­vard Club spanned some 66 years be­gin­ning in 1952. Ol­lie, as he was called by all who knew him, was not on­ly the longest ac­tive Club Mem­ber, but al­so eas­i­ly the longest Club Ad­min­is­tra­tor, hav­ing served in three of the prin­ci­pal man­age­ment posts for a to­tal of al­most 50 years.

As an Ad­min­is­tra­tor, he was first the longest serv­ing Sec­re­tary, hav­ing held the post for 25 years, from 1961 to 1986. The mea­sure of the re­spect he at­tract­ed from the mem­ber­ship in dis­charg­ing the du­ties of the post is the nick­name by which he came to be known: “Red Er­ic”, af­ter the then rul­ing fa­ther of the Na­tion, Dr Er­ic Williams. He then served as Vice Pres­i­dent for four years, from 1986 to 1990; and fi­nal­ly he as Pres­i­dent for 20 years, from 1990 to 2010.

When he demit­ted of­fice as Pres­i­dent, he was im­me­di­ate­ly in­stalled as a Pa­tron of the Club, an Of­fice which he oc­cu­pied un­til his death on 1st Jan­u­ary, 2019.

The state­ment end­ed, "The Pres­i­dent and Mem­bers of The Har­vard Club join with the na­tion­al sport­ing com­mu­ni­ty in ex­tend­ing sin­cere con­do­lences to the fam­i­ly of Mr Oliv­er Camps."

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Aanensen: Camps wanted best for TT football
« Reply #805 on: January 04, 2019, 12:17:17 PM »
Aanensen: Camps wanted best for TT football
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

OLIVER CAMPS, the late president of the TT Football Association (TTFA), wanted the best for TT football, according to ex-Soca Warriors manager Bruce Aanensen.

Camps, who was also manager of both the 1973 and 1989 (Strike Squad) teams who both narrowly missed out of World Cup qualification, died on Tuesday morning (New Year’s Day) at the St Clair Medical Centre. He was 87.

The ex-Maritime Insurance Limited chairman served as president of the then TT Football Federation (TTFF) from 1992 to October 2011, when he resigned after the cash-for-votes FIFA scandal.

The former president of The Harvard Club was also embroiled in two legal matters, which tainted his legacy.

The TTFF, with Camps at the helm, lost a legal battle with 13 members of the 2006 Soca Warriors team over non-payment of World Cup bonuses.

And, in January 2016, he had to sell one of his properties to pay an approximate $3.8 million debt owed to former TT coach and ex-Netherlands defender Wim Rijsbergen whose salary had not been paid by the local governing body.

“Ollie was a great servant of the game of football (but) he got himself entangled, unfortunately, in some situations either through him being very naïve or over-trusting of people,” said Aanensen yesterday. “He always meant well, he had a good heart and he always wanted to do what was best for football.”

Aanensen continued, “To see a man end up the way he did, after serving football for the length of time that he did is very unfortunate. He was a nice man, always very pleasant. In travels with him in 2005 and 2006, we always had friendly conversations. We all have to go at some time and, at 87, I think he would have lived a good life.”

Both men spent decades in the financial sector – Camps with Maritime and Aanensen with Royal Bank (now RBC).

“In the sphere of business, banking-wise and insurance-wise, I never really had too much involvement with Ollie,” said Aanensen. “I didn’t have any great interface with him. To have reached (as) chairman of (Maritime), he must have been doing something right.”

Asked what he will remember most about Camps, especially during the Germany campaign, Aanensen replied, “Ollie was always smiling, always very supportive of the players, of everybody, always encouraging people to do their best and put everything out for the country.

“I don’t think he really had a bad bone in his body, he just got caught up in some unfortunate situations which ended badly for him.”

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Funeral for Camps on Tuesday
« Reply #806 on: January 04, 2019, 12:18:17 PM »
Funeral for Camps on Tuesday
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday)

THE funeral service for Oliver Camps, former president of the TT Football Federation, will take place on Tuesday at St Finbar's Roman Catholic Church, Morne Coco Road, Diego Martin, at 10.30 am.

Camps died at 87 on New Year's Day at the St Clair Medical Centre. Camps served TT football in many capacities as he was also manager of both the 1973 and 1989 (Strike Squad) national football teams who both narrowly missed out on World Cup qualification. He was president of the TTFF when the Soca Warriors qualified for the 2006 World Cup in Germany.

Since his death, a number of people in the football fraternity have paid tribute to Camps including former vice-president of FIFA Jack Warne, ex-TT football manager Bruce Aanensen, and a number of former national players who Camps interacted with over decades. Warner, who was a close friend of Camps, is expected to deliver the eulogy.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Warner: Camps legacy is building people
« Reply #807 on: January 09, 2019, 07:29:54 AM »
Warner: Camps legacy is building people
By Joel Bailey (T&T Newsday)

FORMER FIFA vice-president Jack Warner said ex-head of the TT Football Federation (now TT Football Association) Oliver Camps will be forever remembered for focusing on improving the character of people, and not the construction of buildings.

Warner, who was special adviser at the TTFF, was speaking at Camps’ funeral yesterday morning at St Finbar’s RC Church, Diego Martin.

Camps, who was also a former chairman of Maritime General Insurance Company, died on New Year’s Day at 87.

He was the manager of the 1973 TT team that infamously lost 2-1 to hosts Haiti in the CONCACAF qualifiers, for the 1974 FIFA World Cup in West Germany, and the Strike Squad team that narrowly missed qualification to the 1990 FIFA World Cup in Italy.

About the Strike Squad, "which Ollie treasured, which he loved, and so built a team, I felt a sense of satisfaction,” said Warner, in his tribute to Camps. “What he did was to build character, to build people.”

Warner seemed to throw a jab at the current TTFA administration headed by David John-Williams, who was also among the hundreds at the funeral.

“He did not build buildings, that was not his legacy,” said Warner, seemingly referring to the controversial Home of Football project in Couva which is nearing completion. “His legacy was to build people. That is why in the era of Ollie Camps there were so many players having overseas contracts, unlike today.

“In Ollie’s time, as far as I was concerned, when there was uncertainty, Ollie was a venerable force.”

Warner said he knew Camps for some 49 years. "During that time, we fought, cried, laughed together, and then laughed again. Ollie was good, kind, benevolent.

"It gives me some relief to know that I was with him the day before he died, and many days before that.”

Camps, he said, had "performed a role in football that no other president performed, or tried to perform, or will perform, in our collective lifetimes. Under Ollie, this small nation went to four FIFA World Cups.”

Warner touched on an issue involving Camps and ex-TT coach Wim Rijsbergen. In January 2016, Camps had to sell one of his properties to pay an approximate $3.8 million debt to Rijsbergen for non-payment of the Dutchman's salary.

“I want to express some regret,” said Warner, a former government minister. “He mortgaged his property for football, as I had done before. But unlike me, he lost his for football and no one came to his aid.”

Warner expressed his condolences to Camps’ family, including his companion Farida Sanchez and daughter Sandra. Sandra and her cousin Elizabeth Camps delivered the eulogy at yesterday’s funeral.

“His generosity and spirit extended beyond family,” said Elizabeth.

Referring to the mortgage issue, Elizabeth said, “God was at the helm and saw him through it all. Our heartfelt thanks go out to all the Maritime family for their unwavering love and support.”

Sandra said Harvard Club, of which Camps was a long-time member, president and patron, was his second home. "He would go there every evening before coming home. Many lifelong friends were made at Harvard."

But, she later said, “My dad’s relationship with God was the most important part of his life. As a young man, he was expected to become a priest, such was his devotion.”

John Smith, chairman of Maritime Insurance, said, “I couldn’t find the strength to come (yesterday) morning, having just lost my own son (on Saturday)."

Smith was referring to actor Chris Smith who died of leukaemia.

About Camps’ lengthy association with Maritime, Smith said, “Nothing happened in general insurance without Oliver. If you had a problem, you can go to Oliver.”

Dignitaries who attended included ex-TTFA presidents Peter O’Connor and Raymond Tim Kee, and TT men’s team coach Dennis Lawrence, as well as members of the Strike Squad team, Maritime Insurance and Harvard Club.

Camps was buried in a private interment at the Lapeyrouse Cemetery.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: January 09, 2019, 04:31:08 PM »
RIP Oliver Camps.

I don't want to make statements on a man who for all good intentions served the country's football well, only to be usurped by Jack Warner. I was not going to say anything until I saw a version of the pot calling the kettle black.

“He did not build buildings, that was not his legacy,” said Warner,

So Mr. Warner, what about the so called "Center of Excellence".

And then this man had the f--king gall to bring this up.

Warner touched on an issue involving Camps and ex-TT coach Wim Rijsbergen. In January 2016, Camps had to sell one of his properties to pay an approximate $3.8 million debt to Rijsbergen for non-payment of the Dutchman's salary.

Honestly Jack who should have really paid Wim?

Again, Mr. Camps, RIP. We lashed  you enough for your association with Jack.

God Bless!

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #809 on: January 20, 2019, 08:37:26 PM »
Oliver Camps died today.
Meant to say more on this but I was in Cuba with limited net.

Met Camps a number of times, sometimes professionally others personally  as we have family in common.

It was the norm for me to bounce him up on Christmas Day at a relative's house.

I remember every tme he walked in I would think "this is the JW imps." but at the end of the day, it was easy to have a liking for him. Very easy guy to talk to. He had a very easy going, down to earth way about him.

Steve David was in Egypt hanging around the Stadium trying to get in for a TT match at the U 16 WC. When Camps saw him and asked him what he was doing, he just told David to jump on the bus with the TT team. Problem solved.

VB
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

1]; } ?>