March 29, 2024, 11:40:52 PM

Author Topic: Owen suffers new setback in race to prove fitness for World Cup  (Read 2479 times)

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
Owen suffers new setback in race to prove fitness for World Cup

Michael Walker
Friday April 21, 2006
The Guardian

Michael Owen's World Cup prospects are in fresh doubt after Newcastle United revealed yesterday that he is unlikely to be fit enough to play at Birmingham City on Saturday week. That means the striker will be available only for Newcastle's last game of the season, at home to Chelsea on May 7, with the England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson having to name his preliminary squad for Germany the following day.
"Michael has done everything our medical staff have asked of him," said the Newcastle caretaker manager, Glenn Roeder, "but the most we can now hope for is to have him back for the final game."

Whether Owen can do enough in 90 minutes - providing his right foot withstands the strain - to satisfy Eriksson cannot be certain and the Swede will remember taking a less than 100% fit David Beckham to the last World Cup.
That cost England in their quarter-final against Brazil, although it could be argued that with the six weeks before England meet Paraguay in Frankfurt containing two England friendlies and an England B game, Eriksson would be taking a greater risk in omitting Owen from his squad.

Newcastle are likely to arrange a behind-closed-doors match for Owen before the Chelsea game and there is also Alan Shearer's testimonial on Thursday 11 May - Newcastle face Celtic at St James' Park - in which Owen could play. Eriksson names his final World Cup squad on Monday May 15.

Owen has not yet taken part in a full Newcastle training session after sustaining his injury on December 31 last year in a collision with the Tottenham and England goalkeeper Paul Robinson. Owen fractured his fifth metatarsal and had a pin inserted soon after. Recovery was expected to take between 12 and 14 weeks but just as Newcastle were expecting the 26 year-old back, at the beginning of this month, Owen felt new pain and had to have a new screw inserted in his toe.

For Newcastle, chasing a European place without the injured Shearer, Owen's news is depressing. They have had scant repayment on the £16m they paid to Real Madrid last August and will have to deal with constant speculation that Owen will leave Tyneside after the World Cup.

The fans can console themselves, however, with a comment made by Owen on March 27: "The club [Newcastle] and the fans have been great to me and I want to pay them back."

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,1758008,00.html

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Owen suffers new setback in race to prove fitness for World Cup
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2006, 07:10:43 AM »
Dey might really feel we wuk a obeah fuh true  :devil:
How is a setta madness so???
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2006, 07:25:56 AM »
 England's leading scorer injured...too bad yes...But it still have Wayne Rooney

Offline Trinitim

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2006, 10:50:21 AM »

Don't worry bout Rooney Jamaica go take care ah he, is hard jam from a side real cutlass go pass in that England/ Jamaica game look at the US game jamaica playing for pride and to show the world they not in the World Cup but they deserve to be so is real blade go fly.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2006, 01:44:43 PM »
A lot happens in a day

http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/060421/7/6l37.html
Owen's surprise return boosts England
21 April 2006
by Reuters
Newcastle United's surprise naming of Michael Owen in their squad for Saturday's home game against West Bromwich Albion is also a big boost for England's FIFA World Cup™ hopes.
Sources close to the club say the best Owen can hope for is a place on the substitutes' bench against West Brom as Newcastle are not prepared to take major risks with the England striker.

But the fact that he is back in the first-team fold is a huge lift not only for the Magpies, who are chasing a place in next season's UEFA Cup, but for England with their FIFA World Cup opener against Paraguay just seven weeks away.

Before then, England have two warm-up games at Old Trafford against Hungary on 30 May and Jamaica four days later.

Owen, signed from Real Madrid last year for a club record 17 million pounds ($30.3 million), has been sidelined since New Year's Eve when he broke a metatarsal in a collision with Tottenham goalkeeper and England team-mate Paul Robinson.

The former Liverpool man suffered a setback a month ago when he needed a second operation to tighten a screw that had been inserted in his foot during initial surgery.

But Owen, 26, has stepped up his training this week and now looks set to make his comeback before the end of the season, with next Saturday's game at Birmingham a realistic target.

After that, Newcastle round off the season with the visit of champions-elect Chelsea. 

« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 01:47:50 PM by trinindian »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2006, 03:51:53 PM »
i am grateful that our players have not been getting injured and I pray it remains that way

my korean friend tell me their main striker is out for the WC...man real bitter

count our blessings  :beermug:

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Owen included in Newcastle squad
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2006, 05:06:39 PM »
Source:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4931616.stm

Owen included in Newcastle squad
[/size]
Newcastle United striker Michael Owen has been included in the Magpies' squad to face West Brom on Saturday.

Owen, 26, has been out since New Year's Eve when he fractured a metatarsal against Spurs at White Hart Lane.

His is a surprise inclusion but it is understood he is unlikely to figure and has only been included to get him involved with the first team again.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson will be keen to see Owen get games under his belt before the World Cup in June.

Eriksson must name his squad by 15 May, while his team's World Cup campaign begins against Paraguay on 10 June.

Roeder revealed on Friday that Owen was progressing well and, although he has named him in his squad for the match against the Baggies, he expects his playing return a week later at Birmingham.

"When you speak to Michael he is always a positive person," said Roeder. "You always get a feeling that nothing worries him.

"But when I spoke with him this morning, I could hear in his voice a little extra bounce following a meeting with his consultant."

Newcastle are without Alan Shearer for the West Brom game, with the Magpies captain set to reveal on Saturday whether he will be forced to retire early through injury.

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/teams/n/newcastle_united/4931616.stm
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Shearer announces end of career
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2006, 07:04:48 PM »
Newcastle captain Alan Shearer has confirmed his career has been "finished" by a knee injury.
The 35-year-old tore his knee ligaments at Sunderland on Monday and has been ruled out for the rest of the season, prompting his planned retirement.

"I'm finished now," Shearer told The Sun. "I won't be able to play the last three games and that is disappointing.

"But I'm not complaining, how could I? I have great memories. I've got no regrets, it's been a great career."

Shearer picked up the injury at the home of Newcastle's arch-rivals, Sunderland's Stadium of Light, minutes after scoring a penalty.

The former England captain remained optimistic he would be able to kick a ball before the end of the season but a scan on Friday confirmed the worst.

Sheared said: "There's a tear in the medial ligament which, although it does not require an operation, means I will be in a knee brace for a few weeks.

"Deep down I knew when I limped out of the Stadium of Light that it was probably the end and I think the fans knew it as well."

"Some people think it was a fantastic way to go out anyway by scoring in our 4-1 win at Sunderland. I think they might be right."

Shearer is still hopeful that he will be able to play some part in his testimonial against Celtic at St James's Park on 11 May.

The 35-year-old left Blackburn to join his hometown club Newcastle in the summer of 1996 for a then world-record fee of £15m.

Shearer has scored 206 goals in 404 appearances for Newcastle to eclipse Jackie Milburn's record and become the club's top goalscorer.

He is also the Premiership's leading goalscorer of all-time with over 250 goals.

After an 18-year career, Shearer's only major trophy is the Premiership title he won with Blackburn in the 1994/95 season.

The striker turned down a move to Manchester United to join Newcastle and despite winning no silverware with the Magpies, he insists he has no regrets.

"It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream," Shearer said.

"My dream as a kid was to play for Newcastle United and to score goals at St James' Park.

"Playing for the club is everything and no-one can take that away from me."

Shearer had planned to retire at the end of last season but was persuaded to stay on by then manager Graeme Souness for one more year.

The striker was never tempted out of international retirement despite repeated calls to reverse the decision he made after Euro 2000.

After making his England debut against France in 1992, Shearer went on to score 30 goals in 63 appearances.

In domestic competition, he netted a total of 379 goals in 733 appearances - in a career encompassing spells at Southampton, Blackburn and Newcastle

Hard luks dere Alan..........  well done and god bless.... but u shudda came united  instead of the magpies  das y u  never kissed no silver ;) 
« Last Edit: April 21, 2006, 07:06:38 PM by Small Magician »

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Shearer announces end of career
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2006, 07:06:25 PM »
CONDOLENCES TO A BIG PLAYER

newcastle go miss yuh hopefully  owen fill dem shoes
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Owen included in Newcastle squad ..... take dat england haters
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2006, 07:08:24 PM »

Newcastle United striker Michael Owen has been included in the Magpies' squad to face West Brom on Saturday.
Owen, 26, has been out since New Year's Eve when he fractured a metatarsal against Spurs at White Hart Lane.

His is a surprise inclusion but it is understood he is unlikely to figure and has only been included to get him involved with the first team again.

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson will be keen to see Owen get games under his belt before the World Cup in June.

Eriksson must name his squad by 15 May, while his team's World Cup campaign begins against Paraguay on 10 June.

Roeder revealed on Friday that Owen was progressing well and, although he has named him in his squad for the match against the Baggies, he expects his playing return a week later at Birmingham.

"When you speak to Michael he is always a positive person," said Roeder. "You always get a feeling that nothing worries him.

"But when I spoke with him this morning, I could hear in his voice a little extra bounce following a meeting with his consultant."

Newcastle are without Alan Shearer for the West Brom game, with the Magpies captain set to reveal on Saturday whether he will be forced to retire early through injury.

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Owen included in Newcastle squad ..... take dat england haters
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2006, 07:21:36 PM »
even though ah wish he aint play good against we in d wc i like his stlye and finshing ability

go magpies win dem last games

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2006, 07:24:19 PM »
for real shotta...he will go down as one of the big players in our era.

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2006, 07:24:53 PM »
hoss if we playing england i wanna play d fullll side

i am a england supporter but if i spend so much money 2 be dere on d 15th of june in nuremburg at 6 pm german time i want to see

---Robinson--

--G.Neville--           - --Rio---                --J.Terry--          ----A.Cole---

--Becks--             ---Lampard--         ---Gerrad--           --J.Cole--

---Owen--        ---ROONEY---   

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2006, 07:30:56 PM »
oh i not doubting i wanna watch d bess england team ON F@<KING TELEVISION

I JUS i want this team to be beaten soundly by the warriors

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2006, 07:43:11 PM »
ah salute a living legend nuff respect to you sir but....

The striker turned down a move to Manchester United to join Newcastle and despite winning no silverware with the Magpies, he insists he has no regrets.

"It doesn't matter that I didn't win a trophy because I did it my way and I lived the dream," Shearer said.

....... but armmm ah feel that is an untruth
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2006, 02:18:32 AM »
small magician does back some dead horses :rotfl:......i allow the manu...but england? oh come on!

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2006, 03:44:22 AM »
yeh but Newcastle is the man boyhood club so that is y he went there!!

"The undoubted highlight has been winning an England cap, winning the league at Blackburn [Rovers FC] in the way we did and playing for my club Newcastle," Shearer said. "I had always wanted to do that as a boy, to score at the Gallowgate End as captain."

http://www.uefa.com/magazine/news/Kind=4/newsid=415039.html

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2006, 03:32:26 PM »
Shearer was the best of his type hands down.
shows how much management skill  Gullit had as a manager.  ::)
maybe if he had treated Shearer a lil better, Newcastle mighta won something
Shearer gone now..look Ameobi now start to fulfil some of his potential.
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

1]; } ?>