May 08, 2024, 05:49:16 PM

Author Topic: Time for a change of Paradigms  (Read 4064 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Time for a change of Paradigms
« on: March 05, 2005, 01:54:44 PM »
Well I think it is about time we begin shredding the remants of "colonial" precepts. We as a regional entity should begin to  put in place contextual  principles which are  applicable to our region.

These principles must cover a wide spectrum  to inclue: Education, Economics, Political, Social, Athletics, and Judicary systems of governence.

To rely on the British system as the set pattern is antiquated and  gives too much credance to the residual remnants of the colonial masters and Eurocentric systems. Even in sports, we follow too much of the British games and hold them up as icons of what the game ought to be about. We need to create our level of game to a point that it cn be  on par with the world and it must have aflair and brand of soccer that is unprecedent comparable to when Brazil unleashed Pele to the world.

We have to decide by examining different systems of thinking as to which would best suit our regional needs. Maybe by examining world wide models we could forge a Caribbean system that would be applicable to the needs of the citizens in our region.

Offline fatman

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Time for a change of Paradigms
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2006, 04:32:07 PM »
 i agree with yo well said the only way for us to be truly independent is to is to look from within i always use netball and cricket and even the strike squad as examples in sport ,we never seemed able to appreciate and build upon entities that were essentially caribbean forms .where netball and cricket is concerned we should be exporting expertise .books should be written on cricket and the west indies coaching system(YES THERE WAS ONE).HOW MANY PEOPLE KNOW THAT OUR FIRST OLYMPIC MEDALS WERE WON IN OLYMPIC WEIGHT LIFTING THAT IS THE CLEAN AND JERK  AND SNATGH LIFTS the sport is now non existant .sport mirrors society so we can well see similar occurances in other areas of our life. the mere fact that this post is not busy is testament to our current state.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006, 05:39:55 PM »
i agree...too much japanese cell phones and cars in trinidad, And british legal systems and sports...and american movies and music...and too much jamaican music too. ...in fact - I hear the wheel was invented in china - I find we could invent our own!!
i leave anything out?

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006, 06:14:41 PM »
I think that in an increasingly globalised world even though customization has been given greater priority it should noted that convergence of systems is the preponderant theme. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. The answers to many of our systemic problems lie out there already. The real question is do we have the discernment to pick and choose which are the most relavant to our space .

In relation to football this convergence of systems is also present. The manifestation of these systems on the field of play in terms of the artistic and scientific sensibility applied to the execution of play is greatly influenced by culture, climate, demographic properties etc.

The ever increasing rate of change and the proliferation of new forces of competition place unprecedented demands on us in virtually every facet of human endeavour.We are now compelled to adapt to ensure our survival. Caribbean people have resillience on our side. After all it is from the rusty steel drum that we have produced a sound the reverberates into the soul. Having the highest rate of immigration in the world reveals a deficiency but also reveals a quality of tremendous note - the ability to survive. It behooves us to use this quality at home to meet the challenges of the day.

We must never forget the  importance of the transferance of gernerational knowledge to preserve identity. If we are to create a new image of ourselves it is critical that we acknowledge our antecedents to help us negotiate the obstacles that inevitably follow modernity.

All of this requires a change in the heart and minds of the people. A call to consciouness and rebirth of thought is necessary.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2006, 09:10:10 PM by Jah Gol »

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006, 06:23:24 PM »
i agree...too much japanese cell phones and cars in trinidad, And british legal systems and sports...and american movies and music...and too much jamaican music too. ...in fact - I hear the wheel was invented in china - I find we could invent our own!!
i leave anything out?

allyuh go kill m e oui.   :rotfl:

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2006, 06:30:06 PM »
what kinda change ya want?  four 5 cent pieces or 20  one cent pieces fa dat paradigms ???

That is talks Jah Gol....could not agree more.
nice ending "All of this requires a change in the heart and minds of the people. A call to consciouness and rebirth of thought is necessary."
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 06:01:20 PM by RedHowler »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006, 08:10:06 PM »
Wow JahGol..heavy stuff dey..
Like the Fatman say..."sport mirrors society "...if true,(ah think yuh mighta prove dat, yuh definately prove something  ) could be a major/partial clue to some  of our woes, as fans of T&T football.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2006, 05:56:28 AM »
I cyar understand this thread?

Alyuh use simple english and laymans terms please.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006, 06:11:56 AM »
I think that in an increasingly globalised world even though customization has been given greater priority it should noted that convergence of systems is the preponderant theme. There is no need to reinvent the wheel. The answers to many of our systemic problems lie out there already. The real question is do we have the discernment to pick and choose which are the most relavant to our space .

In relation to football this convergence of systems is also present. The manifestation of these systems on the field of play in terms of the artistic and scientific sensibility applied to the execution of play is greatly influenced by culture, climate, demographic properties etc.

The ever increasing rate of change and the proliferation of new forces of competition place unprecedented demands on us in virtually every facet of human endeavour.We are now compelled to adapt to ensure our survival. Caribbean people have resillience on our side. After all it is from the rusty steel drum that we have produced a sound the reverberates into the soul. Having the highest rate of immigration in the world reveals a deficiency but also reveals a quality of tremendous note - the ability to survive. It behooves us to use this quality at home to meet the challenges of the day.

We must never forget the  importance of the transferance of gernerational knowledge to preserve identity. If we are to create a new image of ourselves it is critical that we acknowledge our antecedents to help us negotiate the obstacles that inevitably follow modernity.

All of this requires a change in the heart and minds of the people. A call to consciouness and rebirth of thought is necessary.
after i read this i was wondering what yuh calling was.....diplomat and politician or educator.
i concluded politician.

A diplomat would have offered tangible (albeit subtle) means to achieve thier goals. ie u gave us the how not just the what or why.

Educator would have given us information in as simple a form as possible.ie cater for audience, try to ensure that what he or she is trying to say is clearly understood.

Poltician talks with out actaully telling us how thye are going to do what ever they say they will. in that way its easy to flip flop or say that is not what they meant.
politicans are often good orators(god alone knows how george bush win 2 terms, guess dat says alot about the american people intellectual capacity ). sophists or just very charasmatic...ah..there we bush's saving grace.
 So jah..doh worry with all that lyrical gymnastics i go vote for u if u ever run for office in trini  ;D
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006, 06:26:27 AM »
Well I think it is about time we begin shredding the remants of "colonial" precepts. We as a regional entity should begin to  put in place contextual  principles which are  applicable to our region.

These principles must cover a wide spectrum  to inclue: Education, Economics, Political, Social, Athletics, and Judicary systems of governence.

To rely on the British system as the set pattern is antiquated and  gives too much credance to the residual remnants of the colonial masters and Eurocentric systems. Even in sports, we follow too much of the British games and hold them up as icons of what the game ought to be about. We need to create our level of game to a point that it cn be  on par with the world and it must have aflair and brand of soccer that is unprecedent comparable to when Brazil unleashed Pele to the world.

We have to decide by examining different systems of thinking as to which would best suit our regional needs. Maybe by examining world wide models we could forge a Caribbean system that would be applicable to the needs of the citizens in our region.

in terms of cricket i think we have acheved this, but we have done to good a job of it. we have forgotten or negeleced fundamentals of the game which once made us the best in the world for over a decade.
we stil have flair and style all our own coming outta our ears, but we have lost the discipline, concentration and team work which we as a team had in abundance.
this may be so because most of our best players dont ply thier trade in england or australia as much as thye use to.
the benefits of a professinal everyday cricketer is rarely seen in alot of our younger cicketrs and thus they take longer to reacha  level of maturity often seen in english, south african and australian cricketers at a younger age.

now some might say is the laid back style of the caribbean which is the cause of the aforementined lack of discipline etc. is this laid back attitude  also a consequence of colonialism? a natural reaction to years under massa hand or working for the benefit of another nation?

I could go on, but unlike some ah dem. i doh lilke to type, yes people i know i know typing is not my forte leave meh alone. ;D.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006, 07:30:22 AM »
you muz be usin de spell checker lately ;D ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2006, 08:25:59 AM »
fellahs (and gyals) .. sometime I tink we (as in ppl of the West Indies) too intellectual for we own good.

Somehow the words and thoughts of our leaders doh seem to ever get converted to practical ideas that can be implemented.

We doh walk de talk.

We speak in the Queen's English but all I hear is pompous assertions about what has to be done.  But my perception is that these assertions never materialize to anything.  Many grandiose ideas ,but nothing practical.

And not meaning to offend ... but look back at how many ideas get floated on this board ... but we never follow through.  The same thing seems to be happening in the political arenas as well.

I doh have de answer, but jus maybe, if we focus on the short term action plans we might get somewhere.

We have so much intellectual capital, but no body want to spend it.  We jus want to show it off.
Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2006, 09:36:10 AM »
yeah i used to find out when it had thanksgiving and storm fuh bag
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2006, 09:37:49 AM »
fellahs (and gyals) .. sometime I tink we (as in ppl of the West Indies) too intellectual for we own good.

Somehow the words and thoughts of our leaders doh seem to ever get converted to practical ideas that can be implemented.

We doh walk de talk.

We speak in the Queen's English but all I hear is pompous assertions about what has to be done.  But my perception is that these assertions never materialize to anything.  Many grandiose ideas ,but nothing practical.

And not meaning to offend ... but look back at how many ideas get floated on this board ... but we never follow through.  The same thing seems to be happening in the political arenas as well.

I doh have de answer, but jus maybe, if we focus on the short term action plans we might get somewhere.

We have so much intellectual capital, but no body want to spend it.  We jus want to show it off.
YES AND SOME AH WE who broken or owe alot does spend like if it eh have no tomrmow  ;D

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2006, 10:54:20 AM »
I wasn't trying to sound bright. I was simply stating in general terms what in my view are requirements for the improvement of Caribbean civilisation. The problem is great a one and will require collective engagement to create meaningful change. I am willing to learn from other views and will be receptive to criticism.

Offline pecan

• Steups ...
  • Hero Warrior
  • Billy Goats Gruff
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2006, 04:34:05 PM »
I wasn't trying to sound bright. I was simply stating in general terms what in my view are requirements for the improvement of Caribbean civilisation. The problem is great a one and will require collective engagement to create meaningful change. I am willing to learn from other views and will be receptive to criticism.

nah man, I was not criticizing you .... i was criticizing the some intlectuals political leaders in teh Carribean (and my unwriten extension, in Canada, in the US, in de world),  who talk alot and doh do nothing .. see some of the posts realting to the debate on who to vote for mext election.

Now faith is being sure of what we hope for and certain of what we do not see.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2006, 06:03:53 PM »

nah man, I was not criticizing you .... i was criticizing the some intlectuals political leaders in teh Carribean (and my unwriten extension, in Canada, in the US, in de world),  who talk alot and doh do nothing .. see some of the posts realting to the debate on who to vote for mext election.

OK

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2006, 06:38:05 PM »

I hate to say it, but for the amount of words that you have used, yuh really haven't said much- quite politician like.

nice flowery language though- u will get people to listen(read) because you sound intelligent but you should also be careful not to have your point lost in the fluff....
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006, 07:21:51 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

1]; } ?>