June 08, 2024, 11:29:47 AM

Author Topic: Books  (Read 16389 times)

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Books
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2006, 09:58:22 AM »
i start catch 22 today.....anybody read it....it going decent so far.....

Offline kandi_tt

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2006, 10:18:03 AM »
i started Mothman Prophecies....ah hope it better that d movie....but them...most books usually are....
iNnOcEnT aNd UnInFoRmEd...

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2006, 01:25:49 PM »
I read this one several years ago... hilarious, but with a serious backbone. Enjoy.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2006, 07:36:22 PM »
lardddooo

whoever looking fuh ah good book read INTO THE WILD by JON KRAKAUER

and add holy blood, holy grail to my list of books
« Last Edit: June 20, 2006, 04:21:26 AM by morvant »
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2006, 04:24:50 AM »
Judas my brother
The Da Vinci code

Mama Day

The Diamond people

currently reading...when ah ent posting... Holy Blood, Holy Grail.

pointman i now finish holy blood...  how yuh think it was. i find it was ah good read but de ending was a little farfetched

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 20, 2006, 08:33:10 AM »
catch 22-joseph heller
house for mr biswas- naipaul
green days by the river-micheal anthony
all of tolkien books, all, i have only 2 more to read
don juan cantos-lord byron
western isles of trinidad and tobago-father de vertiel
(its a history of down de islands )
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 20, 2006, 08:34:59 AM »
I read this one several years ago... hilarious, but with a serious backbone. Enjoy.

yes dat is one ah de bets books i ever read it funny fuh so...its very morbig but takes allook at corruption and so on. and futility of war. u guys should read the next part when yosassian and dem get old.its not as good but a great read. its called closing time.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 20, 2006, 08:37:11 AM »
peong I find the angels and Demons weak compared to di vinci.....i get vex reading it all kinda thing.

nobody in TT have how they stole the game...I asking them bookstore about that long time.

Dragon cant dance is good.
Miguel Street
Embraced by the light
Conversations with God...plenty heights here
The historic attempt of the Trinidad and Tobago football team to qualify for Italy 1990.
I read a book by Victor headley ...named Yardie nice lil read
Alchemist was decent
Beyond the Boundary
Thank God its Friday....boy B.C Pires could talk shit..fuss he good

yes touches..i use to read it all the time B.c like ole talk. he had ah site www.skettel.com but like it donw or somehitng. it had all his articles aas wella s atrini ditcionaryc alled the skettictionary.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 20, 2006, 08:39:38 AM »
The Island of the Blue Dolphin

The Witching Hour
Lasher
Taltos

The Da Vinci Code
Angels and Demons
Deception Point
Digital Fortress

The Bourne Identity
The Bourne Supremacy
The Bourne Ultimatum
The Chancellor Manuscript
The Scarlatti Inheritence

just to nah ah few.........

i read all those ludlums u called including some others.  i forget the name now was a lont time ago..bout when they kidnap the pope and when the general went to the supreme court to the idnian tribe.lol... i love some of tom clanciy's books also... like without remose is my favortie though.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 20, 2006, 08:42:04 AM »
GRANDE MAN ASK YOUR DAD ABOUT THE BEAUTIFUL ONES ARE NOT YET BORN BY KEWEI AMAH. LOL GOOD BOOK.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 20, 2006, 08:45:31 AM »
SORRY EH ALLYUH EVERYTIME I THINK I REMEBER MOR EBOOKS...LOL CANT FORGET JOHN LE CARRE'S BOOKS. BEST SPY NOVELIST EVER." SPY WHO CAME IN FORM THE COLD."
"THE LOOKING GLASS WAR"
TINKER TAILOR SOLDIER SPY"
"THE CONSTANT GARDENER"- NOTHIGN LIKE THE MOIVE MIND U
AND ALL THE REST OF HIS BOOKS .. HIS DESCRIPTION OF HOW IT IS LIKE TO BE  A SPY IS VERY PERFECT. EBCAUSE HE WAS ONE.
read alot of good war books also but i gonna shut up now ;D

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2006, 05:14:19 PM »
GRANDE MAN ASK YOUR DAD ABOUT THE BEAUTIFUL ONES ARE NOT YET BORN BY KEWEI AMAH. LOL GOOD BOOK.

Organic yuh call out real books dey boy   ;D

The Beautiful Ones are Not Yet Born...boy that is ah West African Classic but I have yet to read it. I study African literature fuh 2 years and I ain't come across that. I will have to order it online

I lookin to get into John LeCarre too...just for the entertainment factor...I enjoy dem books from time to time. But I doh like Ludlum nah

Allyuh men had call out some good ones that I lookin to get....Conversations with God...Into the Wild...catch 22. Pointman, morvant...how was holy blood, holy grail....it worth meh money?

I now finish "The Reader" by Bernard Schlink...was decent. Simple and straightforward but very engrossing.

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2006, 05:22:06 PM »
I boycott Naipaul oui, I only read two books by him including Miguel Street which was nice at the time

I jess eh take to him as a person ...it have a book called "In Sir. Vidia's Shadow" by Paul Theroux allyuh might want to read...it is ah GOOD read regardless of what you may think....reveals a lot about Naipaul's character...in the end it is up to you to think what you want of him

Offline torontotrinikey

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2006, 05:26:35 PM »
metamorphorsis-Kafka

Meridian-Alice Walker

I started reading a lot of classics Hugo's Hunchback, Dumas-The Three Musketeers, and The Man in the Iron Mask-this one is great

Ludlum-all books

Gregory McDonald Fletch series was always a favorite

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2006, 10:36:51 AM »

Organic yuh call out real books dey boy   ;D

The Beautiful Ones are Not Yet Born...boy that is ah West African Classic but I have yet to read it. I study African literature fuh 2 years and I ain't come across that. I will have to order it online

I lookin to get into John LeCarre too...just for the entertainment factor...I enjoy dem books from time to time. But I doh like Ludlum nah

Allyuh men had call out some good ones that I lookin to get....Conversations with God...Into the Wild...catch 22. Pointman, morvant...how was holy blood, holy grail....it worth meh money?

I now finish "The Reader" by Bernard Schlink...was decent. Simple and straightforward but very engrossing.

grandeman holy-blood holy-grail is ah book everyman must read at least once. i love it.  and into the wild was shyttttttttttttttt.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2006, 09:01:23 AM »
I have a book for alyuh...

How Soccer explains everything...a new twist on globalization

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #46 on: January 11, 2007, 07:51:45 AM »
Favourite book is - The Count of Monte Cristo by A. Dumas

For any Harry Potter fans the name of the last book is out. Deadly Hallows... not long again folks (relatively speaking).

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #47 on: January 11, 2007, 08:46:05 AM »
Anyone here ever heard of or read anything by Dan Simmons? The Hyperion Series? (sci-Fi) Amazing stuff..

For Caribbean writers, my hat is off to Nalo Hopkinson for "Brown Girl In A Ring"
and Althea Prince for "Loving This Man"

I do a LOT of reading, hard to pick a favourite. Belong to book groups, reveiw books. Good books comes from all genres. Even managed to edumakate myself with stuff from Stephen Hawkings....meh head hurt afterwards but I came out with a little more wrinkle in my brain.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #48 on: January 11, 2007, 10:59:03 AM »
Anyone here ever heard of or read anything by Dan Simmons? The Hyperion Series? (sci-Fi) Amazing stuff..

For Caribbean writers, my hat is off to Nalo Hopkinson for "Brown Girl In A Ring"

I do a LOT of reading, hard to pick a favourite. Belong to book groups, reveiw books. Good books comes from all genres. Even managed to edumakate myself with stuff from Stephen Hawkings....meh head hurt afterwards but I came out with a little more wrinkle in my brain.
To the best of my recollection I have never read a Simmons' book. I have heard of him though. Didn't he write a book that ended up in the movies? Hollow Man or something like that... was that him?

Offline ribbit

• Hero Warrior
  • T & T We Want A Goal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 11, 2007, 11:20:37 AM »
I have a book for alyuh...

How Soccer explains everything...a new twist on globalization

ah saw that book in the bookstore during xmas. by franklin foer - he's the editor for the new republic.

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2007, 03:14:16 PM »

To the best of my recollection I have never read a Simmons' book. I have heard of him though. Didn't he write a book that ended up in the movies? Hollow Man or something like that... was that him?

Yes indeed that was him, but the Hyperion series he wrote is truly inspired. I was not much of a sci-fi reader until I read the first book. I saw it through all 3 and onto another series he wrote. I never read Hollow Man.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 09:15:10 PM by Queen Macoomeh »

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 11, 2007, 07:22:41 PM »

Queen, I always wanted to read Nalo Hopkinson you know....I hear she blends a lot of Caribbnean folklore/mythology into her fantasy fiction. I was interested to see how dat would mix. What book should I start off with?

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #52 on: January 11, 2007, 07:36:49 PM »
I was introduced to her work with "Brown Girl in A Ring". She used very visual fantasy, a teaspoon of science fiction, spiced up with our own Caribbean storytelling style and a big, heaping pot spoon of our folklore and mysticsm. It worked so well. It prompted me to read more of her work like "Skin Folk, Midnight Robber and another that escapes me right now. I'd have to check my bookshelf.

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: January 11, 2007, 08:04:00 PM »
well after reading about Nalo Hopkinson because of this thread, By the way had not heard about her before, will post her info link here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nalo_Hopkinson
I obviously miss alot of culture by not listening to CBC Radio One.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 08:05:39 PM by WestCoast »
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline Queen Macoomeh

• Hero Warrior
  • come closer dahlin...
    • View Profile
    • See Nen Nen News
« Reply #54 on: January 11, 2007, 08:41:25 PM »
"Salt Roads", yes, that was the other title I read..thanks WestCoast.

If anyone knows of other Caribbean fantasy writers, let me know...now that I have the benchmark.

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #55 on: January 12, 2007, 11:36:42 AM »
I shame... my Caribbean list of books read is short and my list of known authors even shorter. After Jumbie Bird and the Year in San Fernando I've read nothing from this region. I tried reading Beyond the Boundary (CLR James?) when I was in primary school, but that was ambitious and I never finished the 1st chapter.

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2007, 12:11:47 AM »
jus finish readin ministers with white collars and  black secrets by deborah smith. about these high paid ministers and the way they feed off the sheeps{women} they suppose to be protecting.interesting book.
good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2007, 06:28:23 PM »
Just finish "Life of Pi" ...I hadn't got around to reading it before but glad I finally did

is a REAL cool book...hopefully allyuh give it a chance, it will be hard to put down. Wanted to post it before I forget

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2007, 09:16:53 PM »
Just finish "Life of Pi" ...I hadn't got around to reading it before but glad I finally did

is a REAL cool book...hopefully allyuh give it a chance, it will be hard to put down. Wanted to post it before I forget
i started reading it but put ti down to finish read some trini novelists..
hadda start over when i get chance

Offline dwolfman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Malvern Sports Club
« Reply #59 on: April 16, 2007, 04:01:07 PM »
Just remembered that I enjoyed Great Expectations by Charles Dickens and The Green Mile by Stephen King.

1984 - George Orwell
A Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
Black Hawk Down - Mark Bowden

These are some others that came to mind that I really enjoyed.

1]; } ?>