March 29, 2024, 04:57:24 AM

Author Topic: Marvin Andrews to move to Gretna?  (Read 2293 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
Marvin Andrews to move to Gretna?
« on: April 24, 2006, 07:42:37 PM »
Source: Vitalfootball.co.uk

Rangers' Trinidad and Tobago international defender Marvin Andrews has been linked with a move to Gretna.

Andrews, who is set to play against England at the World Cup in Germany this summer, hasn’t appeared for Rangers since their Old Firm defeat in February.

Before moving to Ibrox, he played for Raith Rovers and Livingston - where he was named as their player of the year in 2003/04.

According to the Daily Telegraph, Andrews has been told that he won’t be offered a new deal at the end of the season and Gretna boss Rowan Alexander is set to offer him a three-year contract to tempt him to Raydale Park.

The 30-year-old has played 96 matches for his country and scored 10 goals. He has managed to play with cruciate ligament damage for the past year, and it is believed he could sign a deal with Gretna before the World Cup finals – with Gretna hoping to win a third successive league title next season, and promotion to the SPL, if Raydale Park can be upgraded.

Scottish Cup finalists Gretna will also be in the UEFA Cup next season if they beat Hearts at Hampden on May 13 or the Jambos hold-on to second–place in the SPL.

-be the change you wish to see-

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Marvin Andrews to move to Gretna?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2006, 09:00:53 PM »
NOW isnt that a step back by dog??

come on falkirk make dat offer quick god does tell dism man all kinda ting
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2006, 09:07:53 PM »

go and do some research on Gretna... this is an up and coming side in Scotland

Also unless he moving to Celtic... any other move in Scotland might arguably be a step back... but doh frighten... dog go always be safe... wherever he go
« Last Edit: April 24, 2006, 09:11:14 PM by FF »
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2006, 10:35:46 PM »

Also unless he moving to Celtic... any other move in Scotland might arguably be a step back... but doh frighten... dog go always be safe... wherever he go

Gretna would be a massive step down for Dog. Yes, they are up and coming, but Gretna is a small town with a tiny stadium, and realistically they will never be a big side. Even going back to Livingston would be a better move.

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2006, 11:36:42 PM »

He could probably command a starting spot on a Championship Side in England.

I wonder how much those untreated injuries hurting his bargaining position.  Agent must be having a hard time.

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 05:43:44 AM »
Gretna received the Division 2 Championship trophy after beating Raith Rovers at Raydale Park. Kenny Deuchar put the Black & Whites ahead early on, only for Chris Silvestro to level after the break. But the home crowd were soon in the party mood once again when Gavin Skelton made it 2-1 from close range.

they are promoted to the 1st division but i think he could get a play in england championship
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 05:49:09 AM »

Gretna would be a massive step down for Dog. Yes, they are up and coming, but Gretna is a small town with a tiny stadium, and realistically they will never be a big side. Even going back to Livingston would be a better move.

ok thanks for de info  :beermug:
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 06:20:40 AM »
 I think it is a good move...He is 30 years old...Already won the scottish league...already played in UEFA champions league with a big club...Now it is time for new challenges...Gretna could move up to First division and they are qualified for UEFA Cup...So that is already guaranteed European football...Marvin Andrews is one player I am not afraid for...Gretna would be a good move for him...And if he can produce good performances and Gretna do well in the Division 1 then better for him

I guess Villareal was a step down for Riquelme...Villareal are a small town team but they are in the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI-FINALS

Offline chelsea64

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2006, 08:09:02 AM »
Gretna are one of the few Scottish teams with serious financial backing and have a lot of ambition.

Dog could be part of an amazing journey. A nice way to end your career.
Come on the Chels.

Offline Blue

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2006, 12:18:11 PM »
I think it is a good move...He is 30 years old...Already won the scottish league...already played in UEFA champions league with a big club...Now it is time for new challenges...Gretna could move up to First division and they are qualified for UEFA Cup...So that is already guaranteed European football...Marvin Andrews is one player I am not afraid for...Gretna would be a good move for him...And if he can produce good performances and Gretna do well in the Division 1 then better for him

I guess Villareal was a step down for Riquelme...Villareal are a small town team but they are in the UEFA CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SEMI-FINALS

You are comparing a Spanish Premier League club with a Scottish Second Division club. They are in 2 different footballing universes.

Villareal is a "small" team by Spanish standards, but based on stadium size they would be the fifth largest club in Scotland (and their attendances are only behind Celtic, Rangers and Hearts)

Gretna, on the other hand, get less than 1,000 fans a game (2,000 on a really, really good day) - thats about d same as a half-decent Intercol game. Most of their division is semi-pro.

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2006, 03:31:06 PM »
gotta agree with Ryan, Gretna is on the same level as Barnet...
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Gretna Dismisses Andrews Move
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2006, 10:21:21 AM »
source: Vitalfootball.co.uk

Reports that Rangers’ Trinidad and Tobago international defender Marvin Andrews is set for a move to Gretna have been dismissed.
Andrews, 30, has won 96 caps for his country and will be going to the World Cup in the summer, where he is set to play against England.

But he has been out-of-favour at Ibrox in recent weeks and his contract runs out in the summer.

But Gretna’s multimillionaire managing director Brooks Mileson (pictured) scotched the reports.

He told the Daily Record: 'I asked Rowan Alexander if we were making a move for Marvin Andrews but he said 'no'. I don't know where this story's come from as Rowan has not come to me asking me to buy Andrews.'

Mileson also said that he would like to see 29-year-old Hearts forward Paul Hartley move to Raydale Park.

He said: 'I keep telling him (Alexander) to buy Paul Hartley but Mr Romanov just laughed when I enquired about his availability. If Rowan had said he was buying Hartley I'd have been more impressed as we can afford him.'

The season is not yet over, and Gretna still have a Scottish Cup final against Hearts on May 13, but it is clear that many links will be made between the club and out-of-contract players between now and next season.

One example is Ashley McInnes, the 18-year-old midfielder who was recently released by Abderdeen. There have already been suggestions that he will move to Gretna as the club look to secure a third successive promotion and, hopefully, promotion to the SPL at the end of next season.

T&T welcomes back...the King

1]; } ?>