April 25, 2024, 05:45:17 PM

Author Topic: T&T's Carlos vs England's Cole: a tasty showdown  (Read 1820 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
T&T's Carlos vs England's Cole: a tasty showdown
« on: April 25, 2006, 07:15:06 AM »
Source: The Voice Online

READY FOR THE C BATTLE?
BY LASANA LIBURD

T&T's Carlos vs England's Cole: a tasty showdown

As soon as the 2006 World Cup draw was made, Trinidad and Tobago wide midfielder Carlos Edwards set his sights on a showdown with one of the globe's premier left backs, England's Ashley Cole.

"I think (Ashley) Cole is one of the best defenders in the world," said Edwards, "and I look forward to facing him once he is a fit. It should be a good contest."

In truth, Edwards could do with the challenge. His mastery of Championship full backs had reached near embarrassing proportions.

The former Trinidad and Tobago soldier signed a professional contract with Wrexham in 1999 and adapted so well that the Players' Football Association (PFA) voted him on successive occasions into the representative XI for the Third and Second Divisions in 2001/02 and 2002/03.

Last summer, Edwards joined newly promoted League Championship outfit, Luton, and again made light of the step-up.

Edwards' remarkable balance, poise and acceleration, as well as his ability to carry and deliver the ball with either foot, have won him many admirers at Luton.

Trinidad and Tobago has managed to maintain a presence in England's top flight for over a decade thanks to the likes of Dwight Yorke (Aston Villa, Manchester United, Blackburn, Birmingham); Shaka Hislop (Newcastle, Portsmouth, West Ham); Clint Marcelle (Barnsley) and Stern John (Birmingham).

Edwards might be the best prospect to continue that tradition. Surprisingly though, Edwards' status in his homeland has only just taken off.

This might have as much to do with the way Edwards was utilized by various Trinidad and Tobago coaches as it did with his own subdued performances.

SECURITY

Edwards has been used as a central midfielder on occasion and often as a wing-back.

Over the past year, he has gained the security of a full back behind him and his marauding runs into opposition territory has added another dimension to the 'Soca Warriors' offence.

He expects to take his form to Germany this June.

"I think the fans can look forward to me playing my usual game," said Edwards, "which is taking people on and trying to make things happen.

"We will definitely be going to Germany to play good football and I hope to make my fans in Trinidad and Tobago and Luton proud."

Anyone who has observed Edwards in full flight would not bet against it.
---

This is the first time I've really disagreed with anything Lasana's written. I mean 'tasty' - really?  :angel:
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Re: T&T's Carlos vs England's Cole: a tasty showdown
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 09:32:32 AM »
AH CYAR WAIT TO SEE DAT MATCH UP!!
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 09:34:17 AM »
carlos will shake him up! jus like what ronaldinho do in de last world cup.
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 10:04:29 AM »
Even better, if Cole there he will be rusty cause he just come off on injury...and if he doh make it, the back up left back Wayne Bridge not ready and the rest of them is rightfooted left backs...Carlos will make MAS !!!
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 10:17:57 AM »
beat so sweet

ah cyar wait to see pinpoint crosses all d time
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 11:58:29 AM »
meh mouth watering!!

ah love it!!

germany here i come!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 12:05:29 PM »
meh mouth watering!!

ah love it!!

germany here i come!!

Hear nah England has to come hard yes the pressure is on them, we can give them a good run for the money, Carlos all ah want to see is that repeat beat yuh give that Mexican on the line, I play that thing over so many times and it still give me good kicks

GO WARRIORS ALLL THE BEST TODAY AND MASH UP GRENADA

Offline rodigan

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2006, 06:59:25 PM »
carlos and everyone else just wants to keep it quiet for now - no need to get cole's back up and make him feel he has something to prove....

just let dem england boys sit there getting more overconfident by the day - the time to talk big in on the pitch wit de ball in de back of dat england goal...

1]; } ?>