April 29, 2024, 02:30:07 AM

Author Topic: "Stern John: Just a poacher" (and other interesting interview snippets)  (Read 6149 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
This interview was conducted by a dude named Pratyush Khaitan over at his Sportolysis blog.

It real long, at various points factually inaccurate, but interesting to read.

Onward:

For part 7 of the series, I caught up with Trinidad and Tobago’s Liam Camps. Camps, 18, is a huge sports fan and follows cricket religiously like most from T and T do. Liam got hooked to football when Dwight Yorke signed with Manchester United. From then on, he began to take great interest in football. He followed the team with passion during the ill-fated campaign for the last World Cup. Yorke was one of many who delighted in the inspirational triumph this time around, Camps says.

I thank Camps for agreeing to the interview.

Tell us a bit about the T and T football history and the football culture which exists

Football and cricket are the two major sports in Trinidad and Tobago. The support for the Warriors is typically overwhelming, and hopefully that will be seen in Germany with a sea of red. Twice in our footballing history has the country been in a position to qualify for the World Cup.

The first time was in 1989, but the USA won 1-0 on that occasion. T&T got another life in this campaign, and under the astute leadership of Leo Beenhakker, and as they say, the rest is history.

Full Interview.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 09:09:47 AM by Flex »
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Was that Disgruntled... ?

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
take ah ticket
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
allyuh sure dis person trini??

oh gorm just point meh in he direction......talkin bout dropping a striker the like of that could rival pele

oh gorm man
ah cross

PRESIDENT OF THE STERN FOR GOALS COMITTEE
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
This is Disgruntled in disguise , allyuh eh figure that out yet

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline ndookie

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Liam Camps ? check up camps in the directory ....

nex thing you know liam camps is a anti-stern bajan who giving we stik on the net ?
Glory Glory Man Utd !

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
The man name Camps and had to wait in line for a ticket? He uncle Oliver didn't hook him up? Or is it that Jack tell him to blank the man or calling Stern a poacher.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Mr Mxyzptlk

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Right folks. Direct all hate mail here. I, Liam Camps, am indeed Trinidadian, but obviously not with the same "Trinidadian" mentality. All those who think that Stern John is a quality striker clearly have not been following his time at Coventry, in the Premiership, or most of his T&T career. Yes, he's a goalscorer, but he's still a poacher - like Ronaldo.

Offline Mr Mxyzptlk

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
The man name Camps and had to wait in line for a ticket? He uncle Oliver didn't hook him up? Or is it that Jack tell him to blank the man or calling Stern a poacher.
Typical Trini mentality - "pull strings to get places... then after you pull the strings, I will criticize you for it." Catch 22.

Even if I had the Oliver strings to pull, I wasn't about to touch them.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Typical Trini mentality - "pull strings to get places... then after you pull the strings, I will criticize you for it." Catch 22.

Even if I had the Oliver strings to pull, I wasn't about to touch them.

So yuh get blank then...
Typical Trini mentality - that is called piccong. If yuh cyah take it, you in the wrong forum.
Ask Trini Infinite  ;)
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: "Stern John: Just a poacher" (and other interesting interview snippets)
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2006, 11:06:40 AM »
Right folks. Direct all hate mail here. I, Liam Camps, am indeed Trinidadian, but obviously not with the same "Trinidadian" mentality. All those who think that Stern John is a quality striker clearly have not been following his time at Coventry, in the Premiership, or most of his T&T career. Yes, he's a goalscorer, but he's still a poacher - like Ronaldo.

So you're saying a poacher is not a not a good striker? What is your point ? Define what is a good striker,please I need tutelage.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2006, 12:09:54 PM »
WoW..that man register just to defend heslef yes...

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2006, 12:11:37 PM »
Ah was feeling yuh up until the Stern John comment. >:(  who else go score goals if Stern ent dey?
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2006, 12:28:18 PM »
WoW..that man register just to defend heslef yes...

:rotfl: :rotfl:

Dais to tell yuh how much lurkers does really be checkin dis site

I sure stern an dem in dey downtime mus be does pass troo here and want to tell some man HDMC
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2006, 12:45:05 PM »
mr mxyzptlk

yuh frggin mad

i following the man all over

when derby do him ting

when he throw way d sitter in close season for birmingham

whenhe damage he knee

i was dey

i not saying u have to like d amn but to say drop him from d team is a a$$hole statement dat cant be backed up

ah cross >:( >:(

PRESIDENT OF THE STERN FOR GOALS COMITTEE
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2006, 12:47:42 PM »
co-sign all shotta just say

VICE PRESIDENT OF STERN FOR GOALS COMMITTEE
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2006, 12:58:35 PM »
My grandmother always say "If you have nothing good to say, doh say nothing".....especially nowadays when it have internet an ting...... the whole world read the tata he talk and they also reading all the piccong he getting too.... You feel he go know better next time..?

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2006, 04:00:45 PM »
All those who think that Stern John is a quality striker clearly have not been following his time at Coventry, in the Premiership, or most of his T&T career. Yes, he's a goalscorer, but he's still a poacher - like Ronaldo.

Here's the good news. Congrats to a fairly good article.
Here's the bad news:

1. Ronaldo is NOT a poacher, at least not for the better part of his career (before 2002), and even that is disputable. Does the phrase 'explosive runs' mean anything to you?

2. That Poacher happened to win the Golden Ball for the last WC, win the trophy and has been named World Player of the year 3 times. He must have been doing something right...

3. Stern John's quality is not up for debate. What is is him meriting his place on the Trini team as a striker. You find anyone that has produced as much (and yes include Dwight in that) per match appearances in a TT jersey this last 15 years and eligible and fit to play, and you may have a point. But you won't. You won't find anyone.

4: Ruud Van Nistelrooj IS a poacher. His NT coach has assured him of his place on the Dutch (definitely more talented) NT. Ever wonder why?

5: Who would you put in Stern's place?

???
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2006, 07:14:31 PM »
 I am NOT a brazil fan, but to make fun of Ronaldo, as midknnight say, the man has won every accolade dey have an you want to drop men like him and Stern??? When Beenie leave ah begging, doh apply for the coaching job...

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2006, 07:39:51 PM »

A few months ago many would have agreed with those statements about Stern.
Allyuh wasn't here when Stern was getting bash left, right and center?

He has turned things around since then.

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2006, 08:11:26 PM »
I know men call for Stern to be on de bench, but doh remember men calling for him to get drop.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2006, 05:05:11 AM »
Hmmmm.....
Stern John = goal poacher = Paolo Rossi = clinical finisher = good striker!!
« Last Edit: April 28, 2006, 05:07:39 AM by Mose »
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2006, 06:54:18 AM »
I think guys are trying to relate Strikers to players that play other positions,have other responsibilities,different roles in a game etc

A Striker's role is mainly to get that ball in the back of the net,how they do it varies from player to player,you want to tell me we going to drop someone because they "loafing" and scoring Goals?for someone to have the ability to do that it requires special skills and must be considered very important to any team,every team want guys like that.

Yorke for example,why you think he is not scoring the amount of goals he used to score at Man U? it's because of the roles he plays,with Man U it was put their for him to score,now it's a lot more work where by he is not that close to the Goal on a regular basis.

The thing with forwards is that they are on and off,we see them different when they are on and obviously when they are off,which is the time ppl often find they are no good but remember it's the same guy who have been scoring all the time,i have been through this many times in my career and when i was experiencing down times in my game i would often pass on the responsibility to someone else in that way i still look good with an assist,luckily i had Ron,Len,KJ,Archibald around.

Again all i want to say is Stern John is the best we have,at this stage we can't IF is what we know we have to go with.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2006, 07:24:14 AM »
Thank you Coop's!
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2006, 10:25:06 AM »
agreeed Coops 100%

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2006, 10:34:55 AM »

Again all i want to say is Stern John is the best we have,at this stage we can't IF is what we know we have to go with.

From what I can infer from that last statement yuh saying if better can't be done let the Stern continue.
Am I right or wrong??

Més que un club.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2006, 10:40:30 AM »

From what I can infer from that last statement yuh saying if better can't be done let the Stern continue.
Am I right or wrong??

E X A C T L Y!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2006, 10:49:53 AM »

Am I right or wrong??

E X A C T L Y!

I didn't want to get into this argument eh!! But if that is the best Trinidad have to offer then woe be on to us.
And honestly I think better can be done.

Més que un club.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2006, 11:50:32 AM »

Am I right or wrong??

E X A C T L Y!

I didn't want to get into this argument eh!! But if that is the best Trinidad have to offer then woe be on to us.
And honestly I think better can be done.
I understand what you are saying,but we have to face reality it's what we got take it or leave it.
     My argument is.why are we playing with one forward?can you name me a handfull of good forwards in T&T and their records this season.The thing is I'm away from T&Ta while now and i have not and don't really know a lot of these forwards that T&T have,i base my judgements on the reports and statistics of players,may be too the little i've seen of them on TV which is not much.My senses tells me go with who getting the Goals.

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2006, 09:58:53 PM »
Goals win matches. Let me say it again, Goals win matches. I was one of them men who was calling for Stern head. Stern proved many people on this forum worng. Ruud is a poacher and he was leading the Scoreres in EPL. If Stern get service he will score. If he not getting service he might as well not be on the field.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

1]; } ?>