April 25, 2024, 07:24:51 AM

Author Topic: Jones is a Midfielder  (Read 20544 times)

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i have watched him time and time again, playing for sucksland and for trini and he seems lost playing the striker role. to me he is a player without a true position. in england he is used as a striker because of his size and his ability to head the ball but he does not look comfortable playing in that position. he certainly lacks confidence going forward, he cannot dribble, he shuns his responsibility as he attemps to pass the ball away in the 18 yard box and he lacks the deft touches. i wish the youth the best but what is his best position to achieve greatness.

for trini i would go with glenn and scotland, they are both out and out strikers whick kenwyn isn't. not because he is in the EPL means he is trinidad's best striker and the first striker to be picked.

I think part of what you say is true.  He does lack confidence and that killer instinct that the great strikers have.  I think KJ has the tools to be a very good striker.  Not a great striker but a very good one.  He has size, skill and decent pace.  But all that is worthless until he develops that attacking attitude.  I think his knee injury is partly to blame as well as the poor quality of service that he receives.  Most times when he receives the ball his back is to goal and he has at least two defenders on him. 

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
Listen I like Kenwyn but I have to agree with Anton ..it's like he's lost something going forward ...indecisive moving forward not sure what he gonna do.... his touch is poor as well .....during the world cup Kenwyn would work his ass off ...now he just wanna post up ad touch it back ..... to me he have to do better ...I'm not impressed..... I would go with Scotty and Glen and see what transpires .....

Offline frico

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
After seeing him against El Salvador I started having doubts and felt that Glen and Scotland or Scotland and John should be our first choices.He does not put himself about,Scotland must always be our first choice.

Offline madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
allyuh right yes

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
Nah, man. Kenwyne reach. Drop Stern, ent?

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
i have watched him time and time again, playing for sucksland and for trini and he seems lost playing the striker role. to me he is a player without a true position. in england he is used as a striker because of his size and his ability to head the ball but he does not look comfortable playing in that position. he certainly lacks confidence going forward, he cannot dribble, he shuns his responsibility as he attemps to pass the ball away in the 18 yard box and he lacks the deft touches. i wish the youth the best but what is his best position to achieve greatness.

for trini i would go with glenn and scotland, they are both out and out strikers whick kenwyn isn't. not because he is in the EPL means he is trinidad's best striker and the first striker to be picked.

Good God ATB, you're an idiot!!!

Més que un club.

Offline Arazi

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

altho a bit harsh, there is some truth to what is said here...I have said time and again KJ is incomplete as a striker simply because it was not his true position but a position his has been pushed into because of his attributes that suggest he could be a good striker..but trinis see him as our most successful prem player at the moment so saying he's not the best thing since slice bread is like blasphemy to some..

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: Jones is a Midfielder
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2009, 07:01:52 AM »
Jones was used primarily as a defender and midfielder while in T&T.  He has been playing at striker for about four years now. In my view he is not a natural striker. But he has made great steps in learning his new trade. 7 to 10 Premiership goals a year at a club without much quality behind him eh bad. Furthermore a lot of big clubs wanted him. I don't think they were going to put him in midfield.

For the record I think Stern John and Scotty have better technique and instincts than him. Jones is is still young and barring injury has at least 10 years in him. Neither of those men could compare with Jones athletically. Over time he will learn the finer points so we definitely haven't seen his best yet.         

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
  • Football is Rhythm. Yeah is Me Hammer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 04, 2009, 08:17:54 AM »
I was thinking the same ting. I really do believe that KJ should be used in the midfield as a tryout because of Yorke and Brichall absence for the next game. He could play in the mid-field because he has the ability to defend and distribute. Another reason why we should drop him back I believe, is because we are not blessed with the type of players that can service him at forward to maximize his scoring abilities for country.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline fordy

• Hero Warrior
  • give thanks!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 04, 2009, 08:26:00 AM »
you can teach touch and movement and passing....but you cant teach instincts and thats the biggest weapon a striker must posses to be successful for the long term. Jones lacks the instincts but when he plays hard up front it makes his job as a striker easier on him. he has to redefine himself as a striker since he does not have those instincts. if he is just posting up and looking lazy and not making penetrating runs off the ball and taking shots at goal on a regular basis he wont develop into the striker he wants to be. :beermug:
football...the one true life experience!!!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 04, 2009, 08:58:44 AM »

if he is just posting up and looking lazy and not making penetrating runs off the ball

as compared to who, Stern???

Més que un club.

Offline reggae-fan

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 04, 2009, 09:07:43 AM »
With the influx of players and managers from other leagues, the style of the English game, at least at the club level has changed significantly.  Players like Jones etc will have to work even harder now to score in environments where teams are playing the ball more on teh carpet than they are relying on aerial dominance. Clubs like Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool etc all play a style of football that rely less on big players and aerial dominance in attack.

Adebayor stands over 6ft 4, yet he rarely scores headed goals.

There are quite a few teams in the Premiership that plays the old style long ball, areial game which benefits players like Jones. Sunderland comes accross as one of those teams. Bolton and Wigan are other examples. These are typically the side that have a predominantly large pool of English players (playesr who have not played in other leauges outside England). And 80% of the teams in the championship didvision play this type of game as well.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:13:10 AM by reggae-fan »

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Listen I like Kenwyn but I have to agree with Anton ..it's like he's lost something going forward ...indecisive moving forward not sure what he gonna do.... his touch is poor as well .....during the world cup Kenwyn would work his ass off ...now he just wanna post up ad touch it back ..... to me he have to do better ...I'm not impressed..... I would go with Scotty and Glen and see what transpires .....

Even when he has opportunities in front goal in the 18 yard he would pass off to others. A striker must shoot first most of the times! He needs to be taught, to become more selfish.  He’s rarely takes on defenders one on one, correct me if I’m wrong, which is another skill of a true striker. He has alot to learn at his young age. He would better learn these qualities playing at his club.
The ball is like a magnet if you continue to knock it…it will attract, and then you can attack.  Get it?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

He's not the most versatile striker, and doesn't have the complete set of attacking tools.  He has his strengths and his weaknesses.  When the game plays to his strengths he impresses... When it doesn't, the areas for improvement are glaring.  All we could do is hope that he continues to improve.  I think if he'd put away the chance against l'pool... and they were able to hold on and get something out of the game, this post wouldn't exist....so go figure.
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 04, 2009, 09:28:09 AM »
Jones as a midfield would make sense judging by some of the points read; but Sunderland is his payroll, and if they aren't impressed by what T&T is doing with the guy don't be surprised if you see less appearances by him, or benched , or only playing limited minutes.
With the importance of WCQ, we need to play our players the best way that they can play for TNT.  IMHO Jones is not producing what we expect.  We've put him on a pedestal because he is viewed as a threat in the EPL, but he hasn't earned that title yet for country.  He's capable of it and the T&T coaching staff needs to really figure out how to use his talent to benefit us, rather than just throwing him on the field.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2009, 09:32:07 AM by ProudTrinbagonian »
whey boy!

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 04, 2009, 09:31:39 AM »
as compared to who, Stern???

Your mind always on Stern eh :) 

After all the talk about strikers done, I hope to see Scotland up front for T&T in de nex game.

Offline ProudTrinbagonian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
He would better learn these qualities playing at his club.

agreed.  Country produces talent, club teaches class/quality, that's how it should be, but how often have we seen potential turn to wasted talent...
whey boy!

Offline Weh-it-is

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

agreed.  Country produces talent, club teaches class/quality, that's how it should be, but how often have we seen potential turn to wasted talent...

…Points right back to the quality of coaching we don’t have in the county.  :(

Offline NUFF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 04, 2009, 10:23:45 AM »

…Points right back to the quality of coaching we don’t have in the county.  :(

Very true, that is why our players don't develop past a certain level if they stay in T&T.

Offline kiffysmooth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 04, 2009, 10:38:14 AM »
De man have de baddest first touch when it come on he chest...yuh never see how it does stick like glue.  All we hadda do is jes pump den eeeen on he chest right chroo.  Is not rocket science!

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Even when he has opportunities in front goal in the 18 yard he would pass off to others. A striker must shoot first most of the times! He needs to be taught, to become more selfish.  He’s rarely takes on defenders one on one, correct me if I’m wrong, which is another skill of a true striker. He has alot to learn at his young age. He would better learn these qualities playing at his club.

I wonder if he actually can shoot!  

I always find that KJ's biggest weakness has been his first touch.  From pre-Germany to now, that has not seemed to have really improved much but that chance that he fluff yesterday spoke volumes of his instincts.  He could have done any of a number of things with that ball to score that goal and instead chose (or instinctively did) the worst thing.  A man ent gonna shoot if he don't have confidence in his own ability to shoot.  Has KJ ever even taken a penalty for Sun'land?    

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline TRUwarrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 04, 2009, 10:40:47 AM »
if his weaknesses are ball touch, composure and keeping possession with support, then Mr. KND. he should be a crickerter and not a footballer, farless a mid field player.

steups.

well said star...i would put him in defense...next tuh lawrence

Offline Trinidogg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 04, 2009, 11:15:33 AM »
Leave the man as a foward and let him develop how everybody ready to jump on the man after a couple of bad games isn't this the same player we was raving about when he was lighting up the goal couple of weeks ago like it or not he is our top rated Striker leave him there...

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 04, 2009, 11:59:34 AM »
He isn't that young  (especially coming from an Arsenal fan, lol) He's 24, turning 25 this year. Compare that to someone like Bendtner who is 21 and regularly called s*** on the board.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 04, 2009, 12:01:21 PM »
He needs lots of SAQ traing along with some body mechanics and movement training.

He isn't that young  (especially coming from an Arsenal fan, lol) He's 24, turning 25 this year. Compare that to someone like Bendtner who is 21 and regularly called s*** on the board.

I was wondering when someone was going to point this out.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #85 on: March 04, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »

I see men on here call Carlos and Whitley young.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2009, 01:16:04 PM »
Don't get too trigger happy guys. Kenwyne can play forward just fine. Keep in mind the changes he's just experienced. Comming back from injury, new coach using him as a lone striker etc. Jones can dribble very well. He may be lacking a bit of confidence (although thats one thing he has loads of). He will be fine. He will find his rythm and score the goals. I personally wish he didn't have to concentrate on going back to defend. When he plays with another striker, he is more effective, naturally.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 04, 2009, 01:27:30 PM »

Hoss when man callin' fuh Latas tuh be the general of our WC side at age 40, yuh hadda adjust to Trini football definitions of young...  :-\

In Trini football 30 is the new 21.....-Considering that,  KJ career eh even start yet  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline MarylandTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 04, 2009, 01:32:55 PM »

Hoss when man callin' fuh Latas tuh be the general of our WC side at age 40, yuh hadda adjust to Trini football definitions of young...  :-\

In Trini football 30 is the new 21.....-Considering that,  KJ career eh even start yet  ;D

I think I get it now ... there is:

world football young;
trini football young; and...
"compared to me he is" young

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #89 on: March 04, 2009, 01:38:57 PM »
Don't get too trigger happy guys. Kenwyne can play forward just fine. Keep in mind the changes he's just experienced. Comming back from injury, new coach using him as a lone striker etc. Jones can dribble very well. He may be lacking a bit of confidence (although thats one thing he has loads of). He will be fine. He will find his rythm and score the goals. I personally wish he didn't have to concentrate on going back to defend. When he plays with another striker, he is more effective, naturally.

Too right. The comments on here bordering on absurd. Suddenly Kenwyne shouldn't be playing forward. What yuh go say for Zamora, Carlton Cole, Camara and all them men who would love to have Kenwyne's scoring record. Also if his touches not good enough fo rhim to have a career as a forward yuh really think he should be playing in midfield? At least his physique and aerial skills could be used when he up front.

Seriously all the deficiencies that people note with Kenwyne occur at times. Sometimes frequent (poor game) sometimes less so ( good game). I remember his first goal for Sunderland, he kill a ball expertly, beat the defender with his first touch and blast the ball from the edge of the box. So he can trap, beat, move and shoot well enough to be a forward.

Does he do it all the time? Does any player? By premiership standards he is under-developed for his age. He will improve with time and has a bright future ahead as a striker. We will see how good he will be with time.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>