March 28, 2024, 04:47:59 PM

Author Topic: Jones is a Midfielder  (Read 20317 times)

Offline KND

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Jones is a Midfielder
« on: May 24, 2005, 12:29:55 PM »
Anybody besides me belive that Jones best use for TnT is in Central Midfield.

The position he used to play for St Anthonys.

Jones skills is good Speed Good fight and Youth Drive.

This is what will help us in the middle of the park

His weakness is Ball touch, composure and keeping possesion with no support.

If you look at the games he plays forward for TnT, He is not performing up to par and is never likely to score goals.

Not because a man went on a goal scoring tear means he is a good forward.

But his performance hustling the defenders and Tackling defenders for TnT is what he does best.

Look at his performance last time in Mexico.

Just last year Rangers was signing him as a Sweeper and he was playing defense for TnT and W connection.

We need to Unlease Jones in the middle of the park he will bring the Davids/ Viera Midfielder that we need to put pressure in the middle.

Playing Jones as a forward is a waste of time.

Let me see how long it takes Beenhakker to realise that jones best position is midfield,

Cornell Glen, Scotland and Samuel can all give something more up front to go with Stern or even push Yorke back up and Put Jones in the middle.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
Re: Jones is a Midfielder
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2005, 12:35:31 PM »
SUPRISINGLY
 i agree with knd here his deftness of touch and goal awareness just isnt there

can he score goals ??        yes

is he a striker???               nope

simple as that hope fully beene man put him some whree that his defensive capaabilities can come to the fore

he was playing defence for us before he went to england i believe
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline Saltanfresh

• Sr. Warrior
  • Doi! Doi! Doi!....everytime
    • View Profile
Re: Jones is a Midfielder (PUT HE UP-FRONT!!!!!!)
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2005, 01:35:12 PM »
I agree with some aspects of the analysis of Jones, but not all. T&T teams from the late 80's to the present have all been notorious for selecting strikers based on touch, speed, name, and flair, ahead of finishing (hence our record over the years), with a very few exceptions. We need men who are greedy, goal hungry, finishers as well; is Jones such a player? Maybe, since the English football pundits think he is, and they have a little more football knowledge than us........(eg. of some hungry men overlooked over the years Marlon Morris, Collin Osborne, Timothy Haynes, etc.)
Regardless of if you agree with his English coaches, one thing is true, Jones has recently scored more than most of the others on the side, so I don't care if he have 15 toes, and could only play in ah pair ah Bata Bullets, we need goals and he scoring, so PUT HE UP-FRONT!

The likes of men like Ian Rush and Gary Lineka woulda never make a Trini side, thank God they were not Trinis.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 01:49:42 PM by nigelfabien »

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2005, 03:20:45 PM »
Regardless of if you agree with his English coaches, one thing is true, Jones has recently scored more than most of the others on the side, so I don't care if he have 15 toes, and could only play in ah pair ah Bata Bullets, we need goals and he scoring, so PUT HE UP-FRONT!

how many goals has he scored for T&T??

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2005, 03:54:56 PM »
if his weaknesses are ball touch, composure and keeping possession with support, then Mr. KND. he should be a crickerter and not a footballer, farless a mid field player.

steups.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2005, 04:54:54 PM »

He has not scored any goals fuh T&T, but den again he has only played 3 games as a striker. In those  games we have only scored two goals (both of them deflections).

football365.com has listed him as Southampton's hope fuh de future.

Hope For The Future: Kenwyne Jones
Seven goals in seven games for Sheffield Wednesday on loan for the lanky Trinidad striker, who later went to Stoke and scored another three goals. Not given a look-in at the Saints (because they were doing so well, obviously), but if Crouch goes, you'd have to fancy him to get a better chance in the Championship along with fellow, erm, young gun Dexter Blackstock.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2005, 05:06:39 PM »
I agree wot some extent that Jones maybe better used in the middle......however KND the reason he's lacking for playing up from as u've listed is exactly what is required from someone playing in the middle of the field. Composure .....keeping possession is key trademarks of a midfielder. In case you not sure look at Latapy(just for comparison). Latas is the ideal midfielder.

I think however if Jones is fed the ball more hw will score. He's strong up front in the air and on the ball and he has the willingness to go at defenders. He has speed and he looks hungry. In the last game against Lima, he tracked back well to collect the ball in the middle and pushed forward to goal.

From the looks of things the middle in T&T looking real good so far. With Yorke, Theobald, Spann, Birchall, Tiger, Edwards, Whitley, Nakhid.......ah could afford to see Jones up front.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline Ponnoxx

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2005, 05:14:13 PM »
 I agree with him in the middle because if he have the capablity to score he will from midfield

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2005, 05:19:01 PM »
I think Jones can be effective as a defensive midfielder capable of scoring (i.e. Kerry Jamerson).

Offline Youth Baller

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2005, 06:49:50 PM »
Yea Jones should be used as an attacking midfeild player, not as one of our fowards.!!!................. an where all dese pres men come from ras? :-\

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2005, 06:58:30 PM »
................. an where all dese pres men come from ras? :-\

Pres men are wherever you go..just like Trinis.  You can find a Trini in every country you visit, even in Madagascar.

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2005, 07:04:27 PM »
For me, Jones is at best a full-back. I am yet to see the distinguishing characteristics of an attacking midfielder in him. He may also be a "battering" centre forward. :-\
« Last Edit: May 24, 2005, 07:06:35 PM by doc »
Live large and prosper!

Offline Israel

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 07:31:48 PM »
Kenwyne Jones originally started playing as a striker for St. Anthony's and when he was on the 2001 U17 team he played forward for the nigerian coach. When Simoes arrived he played defence. After the world cup he was used as a utility player, but played in a more attackin midfield role for St. Anthony's. For W Connection he played wing back......In my opinion, d man is a utility player and can be used wherever on the field to suit the coach and the kind of players that the team has. He doesnt need to be used on the right side for TnT because d right side safe. Charles and Edwards safe. He doh really hav no experience playin midfield at this level. So playin him in d midfield in front of Birchall, Whitely, Nahkid, Dwarika, Theobald might cause problems, it too late to experiment with him there  now. He has been playing up front in England and has been scoring, he extrememly dangerous on cross balls, has a wicked bullet, can hold up a ball well, defenders can't push him of the ball, can also run at defenders.........so as for right now in the campaign, I would leave him up front, but if Beenie Man sees it differently then so be it, he is the pro.
If a rasta in a coma, is he still conscious?

Offline real madness

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2005, 09:06:22 PM »
Based on my recollection, Kenwyne Jones started as a defender ofr St. Anthony's College. He then went on to play as a midfielder and forward for his school.

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2007, 06:34:37 PM »
For me, Jones is at best a full-back. I am yet to see the distinguishing characteristics of an attacking midfielder in him. He may also be a "battering" centre forward. :-\

doc....what position the team u coaching is in in tobago..ah jus asking..ah want to see wah is your reasoning for saying KJ is better as a full back?
Be honest eh..lol
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2007, 06:36:26 PM »
I think he'll make a good goalkeeper.....probably a good fast bowler too....  :-\
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2007, 06:57:44 PM »
forget football...he shud go into the 50m freestyle...with that standing leap he go have a hell of a dive...be miles ahead before he hit the water :devil:
Back in Trini...

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2007, 07:25:28 PM »

I will like tuh jump in here please sir, when we ask dat question, we have tuh understand it does take time tuh get tuh adjust from defender or midfielder, tuh just plain striker, especially at dat level. It is easy in we lil Sunday morning sweat in de park, but not at dat level. Personally as a striker, he should be judged from the world cup and especially from dis time onwards.Tuh me dat was ah transition time for him, is not like he was ah striker from day one of his career. We should monitor him closely, cuz despite what men may say, he doh have good first touch, he is not always aware of surroundings, etc, but guess what he playing against world class defenders and ruffing dem up and scoring some times 2. So at de end ah de day, we know he cud score goals at de top level, so when we need him fuh de WCQ, and he doh take care ah de business fuh T&T, den we cud get down on him. Fuh now let us leave de man alone nah, dat is just my lil opinion on de matter, tuh each his own of course. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:27:42 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2007, 07:28:43 PM »
Yeah. And who is going to give us that presence in the opposition's box against the opposing center back.  If Kenwyn gets semi-decent delivery for TnT, imagine how he could trouble the best center backs in Concacaf, who might not even be as big as the typical center backs he faces week in week out in the EPL.  Why put him in the middle, and waste that fear we could inject in the opposing defence?

Offline black chinee

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2007, 07:37:02 PM »
I think he'll make a good goalkeeper.....probably a good fast bowler too....  :-\

Hahahahaha  :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:  oui ah weak..... allyuh good yes  :rotfl: :rotfl:

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2007, 08:02:55 PM »
Jones, to me has never been a natural striker. I always wanted him to play DM. Be that as it may Jones is now a striker. He has said that he wants to be a striker and has been used primarily as a striker with all of his British clubs.

Offline Ngozi

• Hero Warrior
  • Taking my life back! what da f**k you done lately?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2007, 08:27:18 PM »
Mad people on this board lol.......when it is people go learn that you dont have to have the best touch to be an extremely effective player....His touch is good enough it can always get better tho the kind of pressre and chances his presence and leaping ability creates is significant and we want to put him in midfield? If his touch isnt that good then why would you wanna out him in the position where your touch and control is the key.....You need KJ up top now the key is to get someone to dovetail with him efficiently like a runner who can work off him ...(like cornell glenn)...I'm still opeful of whitley getting back in form I really like to see him hold that middle ....I doh think yorke can keep the pace anymore but if Im wrong ill gladly eat  my words on that one.  The point is if it aint broke then dont try to fix it ...sunderland playing a four five one....kenwyn taking that workload by himself with means his level of fitness is superior and we wanna stuff that pace and power in the midfield allyuh must be mad......beenie predict it and he coming of age now

Offline SUPA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 21, 2007, 08:33:00 PM »

Oh shit, de first time ah was on de thread, ah did miss yuh post yes. Well it eh 2 late tuh roll nah, yuh is ah real clown sah  :rotfl:. HIGHLY BLESSED.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2007, 08:36:10 PM by SUPA »
RIP Micahel Jackson.

Money doh change we, we are de money changer. But fool if yuh dis, it will surely be danger. Large up de Enterprise and Alliance every time. KROSS KROSS.

Offline triniwings

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 21, 2007, 10:35:07 PM »
Waz dis talk about Kenwyne have poor first touch?

Alya mad ah wa!

He now gettin accustom to settlin into a position(striker) professionally as opposed to his earlier development...he dominatin' teams in d premiership....takin down long ball wit he chest and thigh at will for himself and for others to run off....dominatin' d aerial battles in d box against premiership defenders.. scorin goals consistently wit his head..scorin wit shot outside d box after turnin man....

and ya want to put him as a defensive midfielder?

d man now developin to be one of the better premiership prospects as a striker and you want him play midfield?

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2007, 10:44:16 PM »
triniwings check the date of those posts calling for him to be a midfielder...this is an old thread dat had been resurrected
Back in Trini...

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2007, 11:16:19 PM »
Men takin chain up regular dese days sah.... ;D
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline fatimarima

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 21, 2007, 11:42:44 PM »
SUPRISINGLY

simple as that hope fully beene man put him some whree that his defensive capaabilities can come to the fore

Allyuh in ah mess...lol   The man is clearly a top quality in-form striker.   I think he can fall into many different positions and perform well.  To say he is not a striker is pure madness.

Offline Mose

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2007, 12:08:36 AM »
SUPRISINGLY

Allyuh in ah mess...lol   The man is clearly a top quality in-form striker.   I think he can fall into many different positions and perform well.  To say he is not a striker is pure madness.
Another one bites de dust. Yuh mean to say dat even after palos and NYtriniwhiteboy post yuh still eh realise yuh was answering a 2 1/2 year old post??
Are you a match? It's too late for Emru, but maybe you can help save someone's life: http://www.healemru.com

Offline WestCoast

• The obvious is that which is never seen until someone expresses it simply
  • Hero Warrior
  • "Let We Do What We Normally Does" :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2007, 01:57:16 AM »
dis thread get brought back to life, all de way from May 24, 2005  :devil:
I din kno allya does wuk Obeah ;D
Whatever you do, do it to the purpose; do it thoroughly, not superficially. Go to the bottom of things. Any thing half done, or half known, is in my mind, neither done nor known at all. Nay, worse, for it often misleads.
Lord Chesterfield
(1694 - 1773)

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2007, 05:43:47 AM »
Funny thing is this was not such a ridicuplous idea 2 and a half years ago for TnT.

Just goes to show how quickly things can change.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

1]; } ?>