March 28, 2024, 08:55:47 AM

Author Topic: Terry Fenwick Thread.  (Read 226025 times)

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Fenwick Thread.
« Reply #1440 on: June 09, 2021, 01:23:51 PM »
You have seen the ‘park the bus’ strategy quite a few times as some of us have. What has been the most final results ? Draws, wins or losses ? In my experience and observations, it’s losses, it mostly restrict the amount of goals scored. Maybe different in what you may have observed in lower English leagues.
Secondly, with your experience and observations, what is the strategy(ies) used to counter the ‘park the bus’ scenario. ? Your personal opinion would be welcomed. As a past coach mine would be to attack the weakest panels of the ‘bus’. I imagine you would know how this is done or have an idea how you would have a team do it, given the amount of times you have seen it.

So how could a ex-WC player and long time experienced coach not have an idea or ability to adjust his charges to do what is required, even if they are unable to determine themselves what needs to be done. I propose that is because this coach over the years main strategy is head-butting any obstacles in his way, when sometimes what is required is a cool head and appropriate adjustments.

Moving forward, water under the bridge, let’s see what adjustments are made for our next competition.

Thank you. Pull stones thinks that this Bahamian "park the bus" strategy is some kind of formidable force that once it is implemented, then that's it. . no team can penetrate and move that bus. .

If the Bahamians park the bus strategy was that omnipotent, they wouldnt have lose by 7 to PR. They would have parked the bus after 4 goals.. as there is no way they coming back after conceding 4 goals.

Fenwick did not do his homework for the BAH game. He was complacent thinking that the team will walk through BAH. He did not set up the team based on the event BAH parked the bus. Like maxg said, with Fenwick's experience playing as a defender, his access to professionals players and his coaching, means that he should be able to handle the park bus strategy. Especially if it is from a team like BAH who had players working for Sandals and Royalton pt and ft. Pull stones, do you still think a park the bus strategy coming from a team of hotel boys is what really cost us the BAH game?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: June 09, 2021, 01:24:21 PM »
Team Bahamas was blanked for the third consecutive match in the opening round of FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Qualifiers for the CONCACAF region.

The Bahamas suffered a 7-0 loss to Puerto Rico last night at the Mayaguez Athletics Stadium in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico.

The hosts posted their first score of the match just three minutes in, on a goal from Gerald Diaz.

Ricardo Rivera scored at 13’ followed by Isaac Angking at 31’.

Rivera sent his side into the half with a 4-0 lead when he successfully converted a penalty kick.

In the second period, Devin Vega (62’) scored, followed by late game substitution Jaden Servania’s goal at 66’ and Nicolas Cardona capped the scoring with his goal in stoppage time.

“Puerto Rico is a very good team, they were well organised, well led, and tactically caused a lot of problems in the midfield. They did a really good job of moving, really good job of just getting into the defence and making us make decisions.

“At the end of the day, as a defender, I didn’t do the best job that I could, but they did a really good job of causing problems. As a result, they blew goals by us early and just kept going,” said team captain Dylan Pritchard. “There are positives that we can take from it, but definitely a lot to learn.”

The Bahamas will return home to host Trinidad and Tobago on Saturday afternoon at the Thomas A Robinson National Stadium. That match is scheduled for 5pm.

“Unfortunately, we gave up two early goals, put our backs against the wall and it was pretty much an uphill fight from there,” coach Kevin Davies said. “My boys, they hung in there, I think they gave it their all, they left everything on the field, they fought to the end, they never gave up but unfortunately, the result is the result.”

The Bahamas remains the lone team in Group F without a point. They are currently 0-3 with a -15 goal differential.

Team Bahamas opened Group F play with a 4-0 loss at home to St Kitts and Nevis on March 27 at the Thomas A Robinson Stadium.

Three days later, The Bahamas suffered their second consecutive shutout loss in the current group stage with a 4-0 loss to Guyana at Felix Sanchez Olympic Stadium in Santiago, The Dominican Republic.

St Kitts and Nevis leads the group with a 2-0 win/loss record, scoring six points. Trinidad and Tobago has four points after recording a win and a loss, Guyana has three points thus far, Puerto Rico now has four points after a win, a draw and a loss.

The Qatar 2022 qualification process features three rounds. The First Round (30 teams) will feature CONCACAF teams ranked 6-35 based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings. Groups will compete in a single round robin format.

Each team will play every other team in their group once, playing a total of four matches - two home and two away.

At the end of the first round the six group winners will progress to the second round. The second round (six teams) will be played between the group winners from the first round in a home-and-away direct elimination format.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2021/jun/03/mens-national-soccer-team-loses-puerto-rico-7-0/

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: June 09, 2021, 01:38:06 PM »
THE Bahamas received their first point in the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 Qualifiers and simultaneously eliminated a CONCACAF powerhouse from contention.

The senior men’s national team played Trinidad and Tobago to a scoreless draw at the Thomas A Robinson Stadium on Saturday.

The Bahamas completed the group stage with an 0-3-1 record, currently fifth in Group F while Trinidad and Tobago is 1-0-2.

St Kitts and Nevis will advance as the top team in Group F with their finale against Trinidad and Tobago next week now taking on less importance due to Saturday’s result.

“We just kept preaching a positive message, giving them confidence through positivity, taking everything one step at a time, not to force it, relax and play the game and the result would come,” said Team Bahamas coach Kevin Davies.

“It came from pressure, hustle and fight and some of the balls started to bounce our way. It’s a great confidence booster headed into the Gold Cup and it started with our goalkeeper. After he made a few saves, the more he denied Trinidad, without a doubt it gave the guys confidence that they could play with a team at that level.

Trinidad and Tobago, who last qualified for the World Cup in 2006 in Germany, came in as the heavy favourite but The Bahamas delivered a spirited performance, highlighted by 18-year-old keeper Ian Lowe.

“We knew coming into this Trinidad and Tobago game that they were the better team, but we did not let that get to us. We stayed mentally switched on long before the game started. We played our hearts out til the final whistle. Words can’t even describe how happy we were. Let’s just say the locker room got really loud.

“This game will go down in the Bahamas soccer history book for sure and I am happy that I was able to represent my country,” Lowe said.

‘‘There were several times that Trinidad and Tobago had chances but unfortunately on their part they were not able to put them away. After the half we realised that we can do this. The first save I had definitely was a boost of confidence to motivate me to keep pushing and keep pushing my teammates.”

Team Bahamas opened the qualifiers with a 4-0 loss at home to St Kitts and Nevis.

They suffered their second consecutive loss when they were blanked by Guyana at the Felix Sanchez Olympic Stadium in Santiago, The Dominican Republic.

In game three The Bahamas suffered a 7-0 loss to Puerto Rico at the Mayaguez Athletics Stadium in Mayaguez, Puerto Rico.

“Well getting beaten 7-0 in Puerto Rico was definitely a bummer, they were able to exploit us very quickly in the game,” Lowe said. “After that hard loss we kept our heads up and learned from those mistakes.”

Lowe played in just his fourth international and will be attending Olivet Nazarene University in Bourbonnais, Illinois.

Trinidad and Tobago head coach, Terry Fenwick, credit The Bahamas’ effort but admitted his team

“I’ve got to hand it to The Bahamas, they had a gameplan they dug in deep, they wore their hearts on their sleeve, they fought for every ball and they grinded out a result, every disappointing for us at Trinidad and Tobago. We squandered multiple chances and with the quality players we have got with this squad - this is a big disappointment,” he said, “Did not give away chances really, created possibly six, seven, eight chances and if you don’t score at this level, teams will come back and bite you, and I thought that’s what they did. The Bahamas showed a lot of pride and passion, played for their country and the chances that we missed I think were glaring.”

The Qatar 2022 qualification process features three rounds. The First Round (30 teams) will feature CONCACAF teams ranked 6-35 based on the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings. Groups will compete in a single round robin format. Each team will play every other team in their group once, playing a total of four matches; two home and two away.

At the end of the first round the six group winners will progress to the second round. The second round (six teams) will be played between the group winners from the first round in a home and away in a direct elimination format.

http://www.tribune242.com/news/2021/jun/07/mens-national-soccer-team-scoreless-draw-tt/

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: June 09, 2021, 02:21:38 PM »
You have seen the ‘park the bus’ strategy quite a few times as some of us have. What has been the most final results ? Draws, wins or losses ? In my experience and observations, it’s losses, it mostly restrict the amount of goals scored. Maybe different in what you may have observed in lower English leagues.
Secondly, with your experience and observations, what is the strategy(ies) used to counter the ‘park the bus’ scenario. ? Your personal opinion would be welcomed. As a past coach mine would be to attack the weakest panels of the ‘bus’. I imagine you would know how this is done or have an idea how you would have a team do it, given the amount of times you have seen it.

So how could a ex-WC player and long time experienced coach not have an idea or ability to adjust his charges to do what is required, even if they are unable to determine themselves what needs to be done. I propose that is because this coach over the years main strategy is head-butting any obstacles in his way, when sometimes what is required is a cool head and appropriate adjustments.

Moving forward, water under the bridge, let’s see what adjustments are made for our next competition.

Thank you. Pull stones thinks that this Bahamian "park the bus" strategy is some kind of formidable force that once it is implemented, then that's it. . no team can penetrate and move that bus. .

If the Bahamians park the bus strategy was that omnipotent, they wouldnt have lose by 7 to PR. They would have parked the bus after 4 goals.. as there is no way they coming back after conceding 4 goals.

Fenwick did not do his homework for the BAH game. He was complacent thinking that the team will walk through BAH. He did not set up the team based on the event BAH parked the bus. Like maxg said, with Fenwick's experience playing as a defender, his access to professionals players and his coaching, means that he should be able to handle the park bus strategy. Especially if it is from a team like BAH who had players working for Sandals and Royalton pt and ft. Pull stones, do you still think a park the bus strategy coming from a team of hotel boys is what really cost us the BAH game?
if he does think so, then he’s acknowledging the weaknesses of the coach. As you so rightly implied, this wasn’t Chelsea or Italy Ntl team players operating a ptb strategy. These were not the best defenders in the world. They obviously had no real experience or success at it, in previous games. They manage to get it perfect against us ?
As seeker also pointed out, they also on couple occasions caused our goalie to make saves and had a couple shots. Not the usual ‘ptb’ strategy. So is that what confused TF. He was busting his head ( head butt joke) on wondering if they parking the bus or not..so meanwhile what were the instructions.. from my lil tv screen , looked like his previous strategy - “ Come on Lads ! “. But of course I’m wrong cause there had to be more.. whatever it was doh, it wasn’t working the longer the game went..and obviously we ran out of time, before a necessary single goal could be produced.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2021, 02:43:14 PM by maxg »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: June 09, 2021, 03:23:26 PM »
@maxg exactly his strategy was " come on lads..."

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: June 09, 2021, 04:51:51 PM »
GOP there's a reason why they call it "park the bus". it's a strategy to stymy the attack, and not meant to be fool proof or a formidable strategy, it is often implemented to stop the bleeding not kill the attack entirely. BTW the players had about 7 chances to score and they blew it, so who's fault is that.....terry's?

you trini fans always cry on the coaches when the team bust out of a competition and call for their dismissal at the slightest bit of disappointment, but does the coach have to put the ball in the back of the net and defend for 90 minutes? i see everyone and their brother's calling for terry's head, but no one is putting the blame where it truly belongs, and that's on the shoulders of the ineptitude of the football body in TT, from the federation presidents past and present to the stake holders and league managers.

terry actually did right by the team, he picked the best players that were available, he coached the locals with what little he had at his disposal, he wasn't out there crying for his salary, he was very patient with the fifa debacle last year which held up a lot of the teams progression, and too top it off the league has been suspended for two years now, so what is it that you all want from the man?

he didn't tell jovin to not give ah dam in a must win game. imagine our best player out there walking on the field like he could care less, and you all expect great results with that kind of mentality, you all not paying attention or what?

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Time to do the honourable thing Terry Fenwick
« Reply #1446 on: June 09, 2021, 05:42:48 PM »
Time to do the honourable thing Terry Fenwick
By Andre Baptiste (T&T Guardian)

When Trinidad and Tobago thought they could at least smile after Saturday's coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic Ministry of Health Press Conference, things got worst. Not because of what was said, but what came after.

With further restrictions in place on Weekends going forward, from Sunday. This Saturday afternoon into the night should have been one full of smiles, laughter, happiness, the usual banter among sports enthusiasts with anticipation for yesterday's (Tuesday 8th June) showdown with St Kitts & Nevis which is dubbed the Sugar Boyz.

However by 6.51 pm on Saturday, many were left speechless or dumbfounded by what had transpired between 5 pm mayhem.

If you are still wondering what, I am speaking of, then you are a lucky soul, that you did not have to endure watching the football match, between Trinidad and Tobago and the Bahamas and what had unfolded.

Bahamas lost their three previous World Cup qualification matches (7-0 to Puerto Rico, 4-0 to Guyana and 4-0 to St Kitts and Nevis) but managed with the aid of a purposefully lethargic T&T football team to draw 0-0 and end all dreams of qualifying for the Qatar World Cup in 2022.

I have three quick questions:

Was there ever a plan, Terry?

Was there a Plan B if Plan A failed, Terry?

What was the strategy, Terry?

What happened to many of the locally-based players who were training for over six months?

In all of this, just as in the previous matches, we must find out what sort of ideas arose at halftime in the T&T's dressing room, as we witnessed only one change, immediately after the interval. This may have suggested that to everyone else other than approximately 1.3 million citizens, everything was going to plan according to the management team.

Perhaps the main question is, should we have been surprised by all of this? the score lines, the pattern of play, the formations, the style of play, the general environment of the team, the Bahamas parking the bus and eventually the final result.

In William Shakespeare’s Hamlet “to be or not to be, that is the question", has now become more relevant than ever in T&T’s football.

Those that wanted Terrence Fenwick, as national coach, since over 18 months ago whether they are named William (Not Shakespeare), Keith (Not Brutus), Lasana (Not Lady Macbeth), Colin (Not Prospero) or Allan (Not Shylock), may all be planning exit clauses, but in the minds of many, it would certainly be too late, if indeed their support was fulsome and true.

Football in this country has always encapsulated controversy, and negativity but we never witnessed the level of animosity, diatribe and total abundance of hatred and divisiveness, a lot of it attributed to social media links, where identities are generally hidden.

Many have recommended a new beginning, but how will that work, if the atmosphere, which has been described as uneasy, unfriendly and downright fistful by those, closest to the players, is allowed to permeate.

There is in history, many versions of settings, that suggest, - no time is ever good enough or bad, for change - It is the events that follow the change which is critical to any progress or improvement, and therein is the “default”. In this beautiful twin-island republic, we have heard many promises become pipe dreams never to be fulfilled, because of hunger for power.

Trust is going to be critical going forward, and therefore what needs to happen, is that coaches, players and other officials need to work with the T&T Football Association (TTFA) management team to ensure, that there is – League Football – of some kind when the sport is allowed back on the field of play.

As many turn their collective tournament direction focus onto the Gold Cup in the USA, let us hope that a plan is not only hatched but implemented for local youth football, between Secondary School league and any new Unified league.

The fact is, that since the arrival of Fenwick our football has been further divided.

Fenwick has found out, that being a national coach is not as easy as he may have believed and in these circumstances, he has found himself, caught with his pants on fire at ever turn.

While there is little doubt that several of our players underperformed and look clueless at times, the buck begins and ends with the coach – Fenwick.

Unless he can prove, that he can perform miracles with the same players, then he should do the noble deed, and offer his resignation, if not, then there would be no alternative for the Normalosation Committee to terminate his services in the current environment.

And yes it will be costly, but no more, than the loss of confidence from players, the public and potential sponsors in the team, notwithstanding there is a raging school of thought that Fenwick has already lost the dressing room and when that happens is time to press the reset button.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Trinidad Sports Reality

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: June 10, 2021, 07:58:34 PM »
News just in FENWICK, KING AND JACK FIRED ANGUS EVE NEW HEAD COACH ASSISTED BY KENWYNE JONES.

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: June 10, 2021, 08:30:13 PM »
Aye Pull stones. I go like to see Bahamas play Brazil. According to you, once the Bahamians park that bus, and they put fat boy who does cook in the hotel on Neymar, well know dais it for Brazil...

Offline Sando prince

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: June 10, 2021, 09:09:36 PM »
News just in FENWICK, KING AND JACK FIRED ANGUS EVE NEW HEAD COACH ASSISTED BY KENWYNE JONES.

Juss so? :D  KJ turn coach yes

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1450 on: June 10, 2021, 09:41:13 PM »
Any confirmation?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: June 11, 2021, 12:01:22 AM »

counter productive. what has angus eve done to merit a coaching gig, this guy failed at the under 15 and under 23 but he's coach again, boy these people in trinidad madder than cat shit yes, they're going backwards with this big mouth boy again.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: June 11, 2021, 03:01:22 AM »

counter productive. what has angus eve done to merit a coaching gig, this guy failed at the under 15 and under 23 but he's coach again, boy these people in trinidad madder than cat shit yes, they're going backwards with this big mouth boy again.

In my view, he's the last in the queue of those who were waiting in the wings (other than King). However this ends, you won't have to worry about the thrust of your concerns after this in terms of the local coaching fraternity. I suspect this marks an inflexion point of sorts or a sea-change in coaching selections going forward.

Eve followed by Fenwick or Fenwick followed by Eve always seemed to be possibly on the cards based on historical sentiment regarding contenders for the job. Ah bet Angus happy now he didn't get the women's team job.  :devil:

At this stage King might be rethinking the cost of acquiescence ... or of being between a rock and a hard place. Of coaches on the ground, he's the best positioned to make coin outside T&T. He'll eventually get a crack at the NT gig again.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 03:22:49 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: June 11, 2021, 03:06:07 AM »

You're all over the place. You were hours ago VIGOROUSLY celebrating excusing Fenwick's failure with inane references to Scolari and Klinsmann and now you raise the question above? At least be consistent.

If you had to fire Fenwick, who would you hire?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: June 11, 2021, 03:08:07 AM »

Is this his first gig?

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1455 on: June 11, 2021, 05:27:27 AM »

Is this his first gig?

does kenwyne jone have his badges ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: June 11, 2021, 05:56:46 AM »
https://youtu.be/e1lyNt5km8U or Treasure of the Sierra Madre... either way, still don’t have final confirmation... so far, reading that King and Jack are definite casualties ( even if undeserved, can’t wait to hear those stories). After Fenwick meets, we might even find out it was all their fault.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 06:05:41 AM by maxg »

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: June 11, 2021, 07:10:52 AM »
Any confirmation?
Closest I could find

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: June 11, 2021, 09:05:17 AM »
Since TF is being paid anyway ( if contract has to be honoured), can he be re-assigned ? He he doesn’t accept and resigns, then doesn’t that make the contract null and void ? Guess it’s a question for a sport legal team.

Re-assignment could be to technical director department or national scouting, not like it’s cleaning the toilets ( although that’s maybe a more essential and somewhat important job as well).

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: June 11, 2021, 09:18:46 AM »
It appears fenwick and jack chose to resign , while king was fired !  Yet to be fully confirmed .

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: June 11, 2021, 09:44:34 AM »
Aye Pull stones. I go like to see Bahamas play Brazil. According to you, once the Bahamians park that bus, and they put fat boy who does cook in the hotel on Neymar, well know dais it for Brazil...
thats not a good look GOP I thought you were a gentleman and a reasonable person hence the reason  I engaged you, so what’s with the trini pecong bacchanal twist, you think you know this game better than me? every man is entitled to his opinion regardless of how ridiculous it might sound. so we disagree on the Bahamas fiasco and that’s fine, in retrospect we could agree to disagree and still remain respectful. IMO it’s part of what makes Homo sapiens a remarkable specie, after all, humanity would lose its flavor if everyone agreed on everything all the time, but at least when we differ could we be respectful?

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1461 on: June 11, 2021, 09:54:10 AM »
It appears fenwick and jack chose to resign , while king was fired !  Yet to be fully confirmed .
just when we got the ball rolling this happens, now tell me who gains from this? another big blasted plaster on a gaping chop wound when they should be performing surgery to close that wound. now they’re gonna hire a falling coach, a man who failed three times at national youth level.

you people are very poisonous and primordial and I must find a way to ween myself away from anything trinidadian. this country is a failed state because of the entitled spoiled mentality of its people especially in sports and politics. no wonder steven hart won’t even comment on the state of affairs surrounding TT football, and he’s damn right, stay miles away from these people and their foolishness if you can, it’s not worth the effort.

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: June 11, 2021, 10:06:01 AM »
Nah stones how yuh go do we that by weening away yuhself  from we !  Champ stay de course  yuh cyar leave just so , matter of fact yuh ain't going no way !  Yuh like de bacchannal yuhself ain't ? :)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1463 on: June 11, 2021, 12:41:00 PM »
Fenwick mum on firing rumours but says: I'm not resigning.
By Stephon Nicholas (T&T Newsday).
With reporting by Joel Bailey

Englishman Terry Fenwick and his coaching staff are expected to pay the ultimate price for Trinidad and Tobago's failed 2022 FIFA World Cup campaign.

According to a TT Football Association source, Fenwick and assistant coaches Kelvin Jack and Derek King managed their last game together as the FIFA-appointed normalisation committee has decided to axe the trio.

Normalisation committee head Robert Hadad was asked around 9pm on Thursday, on WhatsApp, about the coaching shake-up. He read the questions but did not comment.

But in an interview with Newsday on Friday, Fenwick did not confirm or deny that he received a termination letter. He did acknowledge having a meeting with the normalisation committee later today.

However, he made it clear that resigning was out of the question given his undefeated record in competitive football at the helm.

Fenwick failed to get T&T past the first round of Concacaf qualifying after an embarrassing 0-0 draw with Bahamas.

T&T (two wins and two draws) finished second in Group F behind St Kitts. Only the group winner advances to the next round.

Fenwick, whose two-year, US$20,000 per month contract ends in January 2022, has had a tumultuous time in charge of the national team. The covid19 pandemic and chaotic TTFA administration made life difficult, and he did himself no favours with an unnecessary clash with his media officer, confusing team selections and poor results when it counted.

His overall record is two wins, two draws and one defeat. The defeat came in Fenwick's coaching debut - a 7-0 drubbing to USA in a friendly international in January this year.

The TTFA will need to sort out the head coaching position soon with Gold Cup qualifiers on the horizon.

RELATED NEWS

Fenwick, Jack resigned?
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

T&T is now in search of a head coach for the senior men's national football team, following rumours that national coach, Englishman Terry Fenwick and his goalkeeper coach Kelvin Jack have resigned in the wake of the team's failure to get out of the Concacaf qualifying group stages for the 2022 Qatar FIFA World Cup.

The Soca Warriors were held to a goalless draw by regional minnows Bahamas, and also drew 1-1 with Puerto Rico which left the team in the second position in Group F on eight points. The eventual winners' St Kitts & Nevis gathered nine points despite being beaten by the Soca Warriors 2-0 on Tuesday in its final group match with goals from midfielder Duane Muckette in the 35th minute and captain Khaleem Hyland in the 74th at the Estadio Alterno del Centro Juan Pablo Duarte in the Dominica Republic.

There have since been calls for Fenwick to be fired or for him to resign.

Guardian Media Sports understands that during a meeting of the Normalisation Committee on Thursday both Fenwick and Jack took the option of resigning, while assistant coach Derek King was fired.

The Soca Warriors are expected to commence preparations for the Concacaf Gold Cup Tournament. T&T opening match is against Montserrat in the USA on July 2.

It is unsure who the next coach will be, but former national player and coach Ron La Forest has already made it clear that he is interested in the coaching job. There are also rumours that Angus Eve could be a good option, either by himself or with La Forest at his side.

« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 12:43:52 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1464 on: June 11, 2021, 12:44:13 PM »
Nah stones how yuh go do we that by weening away yuhself  from we !  Champ stay de course  yuh cyar leave just so , matter of fact yuh ain't going no way !  Yuh like de bacchannal yuhself ain't ? :)
nah mate I’ve had enough. I’ve been on this roller coaster ride since 1989 with TT football and it hasn’t gotten any better. it would have been easier if I had just stuck to club football being a westbrom and colchester fan. I know a bit about disappointment in football since I’ve supported league one and championship division teams most my adult life. I’ve had relegation blues, player blues, club blues and fan base blues.

I’ve seen the firms go at it in the height of the hooliganism era though I’ve never took part in that rubbish, but none the less been affected by it, and in spite of all of that I’ve always seen improvement no matter how little. The only reason I’ve weened myself off modern English football was because of the introduction of the premier league with its commercial tentacles and the influx of foreign players from non commonwealth countries, that’s when the local lads from the youth system were being put on the back burner for highly paid mercenaries.

Part of the fun in English football back then was to watch a lad grow up before your eyes in the youth system and make it all the way to the first team, part of the reason why lower tier teams have such a strong fan base is because we had ties to the players, these were kids from the community for the most part who came through the system, they played harder than anyone else on the team because they were representing their hometown friends and family.

A bloke from Morocco don’t give ah damn about Birmingham or glostershire of grimsby, or luton, what do they know about these places? they’re only there for the opportunity to advance their career. remember how Sunderland fans made a big deal about Jordan Henderson and grant ledbitter? and for good reason, these were homegrown lads from their very own youth system that made it to the first team starting eleven, and that is the only reason why people stayed so loyal to club football in the UK, it’s all about enjoying what we produced and a strong tradition of what that monogram/emblem on your chest represents.

International football is the last garrison of taking pride in what you produced. it’s about showcasing players  from your nation county town academy neighborhood and household and it feels really good when it does happen. this is the reason I continue to support TT football because it’s the only thing left that I could identify with. it’s people from my culture on display, people who love doubles and roti, people play pan and knock iron, people who drink puncheon and coconut water, people who play in all fours tournaments, people who enjoy a good calypso tent, I have never been able to enjoy going to a pub or racing on derby day as much as I enjoy panorama or a football match involving the senior men’s team at the stadium.

So when people like DJW, brent sancho or jack warner who use football to advance themselves are exonerated of any blame it drive me nuts, while local football stakeholders who enabled them neglect to figure out that the real problem with our football lies not at the feet of a coach nor his staff, but rather with the lack of care by the same federations whom they support and the government and the people who are entrusted with the care of the sport. you can’t have a total lack of care and disregard for developmental programs and financial endowment and expect to succeed, that is ludicrous, and in spite of, we keep going back to like a sick dog to their vomit for solutions after we fail in that regard.

Who on earth is strong enough to take this constant chain of disappointment year in year out and it’s only a matter of time till i pack it in mate. if these people aren’t intuitive enough to realize that they need to do something drastic about creating better more technical players instead of firing coaches willy nilly, then it’s time for me to bounce, I’ve had it, I can’t take these counterproductive episodes anymore.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 03:43:12 PM by pull stones »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: June 11, 2021, 01:32:59 PM »
thats not a good look GOP I thought you were a gentleman and a reasonable person hence the reason  I engaged you, so what’s with the trini pecong bacchanal twist, you think you know this game better than me? every man is entitled to his opinion regardless of how ridiculous it might sound. so we disagree on the Bahamas fiasco and that’s fine, in retrospect we could agree to disagree and still remain respectful. IMO it’s part of what makes Homo sapiens a remarkable specie, after all, humanity would lose its flavor if everyone agreed on everything all the time, but at least when we differ could we be respectful?

Yeah I just kixing with you. . Only a few posters here who I respect their opinion. So no worries. I had to toss out a joke on this.

I did call for TF to resign or be removed. But the question is, who will be the next coach. It will make more sense to properly search for the best replacement. But the timing is what might make this a bad choice. . Meaning a rush decision to hire a new coach.

The truth is that TF did have the know how to best BAH. But he went into the game thinking that no real amount of preparation and scouting was necessary. Instead of preparing for the worse and expecting the best, he prepared for the best and end up getting the worse.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: June 11, 2021, 02:38:49 PM »

Yeah I just kixing with you. . Only a few posters here who I respect their opinion. So no worries. I had to toss out a joke on this.

I did call for TF to resign or be removed. But the question is, who will be the next coach. It will make more sense to properly search for the best replacement. But the timing is what might make this a bad choice. . Meaning a rush decision to hire a new coach.

The truth is that TF did have the know how to best BAH. But he went into the game thinking that no real amount of preparation and scouting was necessary. Instead of preparing for the worse and expecting the best, he prepared for the best and end up getting the worse.
ok mate no problem. about firing terry, trinis lobby for the scalp of a man who struggled to put a team together in a ragging pandemic not being able to train players as he would have liked especially when the league was suspended. This coach only played 5 games total since his hiring, one friendly which he loss to a great team and 4 competitive matches winning two games in a tournament and drawing two, now how does that warrant a firing?

take dennis lawrence for instance, he won his first game and lose the next 6 and then went on for 17 more games without a win, yet he not only got his contract renewed, had DJW not lost the elections I’m sure Dennis would still be coaching us. funny how we love and tolerate the smell of our own shit better than that of others.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 02:46:50 PM by pull stones »

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: June 11, 2021, 02:48:11 PM »
Stones  breds ah hear yuh ! In all seriousness many among us  who  are trini football  fans do have our concerns with the state of what's currently going on , it's inescapable in plain sight , I certainly hope things do improve for the betterment of all involved , at all levels  this is what I do believe  we all want to see ! So breds don't take it too personal ! Cheers

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: June 11, 2021, 03:27:39 PM »
Stones  breds ah hear yuh ! In all seriousness many among us  who  are trini football  fans do have our concerns with the state of what's currently going on , it's inescapable in plain sight , I certainly hope things do improve for the betterment of all involved , at all levels  this is what I do believe  we all want to see ! So breds don't take it too personal ! Cheers
what's going on now has been going in 2011 when guyana booted us out of the world cup, what happened to us now happened in the hex of 2001 when we lost our first game to jamaica at home and was abysmal throughout, finishing on the bottom of the table. the biggest plaster we had was leo benhakker who in 2005 managed to scraped through a 4th place win qualifying for a world cup in the process, that was when football really took a turn for the worst with the impasse, money matters and the blacklist.

the thing is that no one didn't care enough to start putting our house in order after that loss in 2011 and the ousting of jack warner by fifa. if we had forgotten the world cup for 10 years and concentrated of player development and building a batter league, right now we would have been in the final eight not even needing to go through all this qualification for a spot.

i've often claim that this world cup glory hunting is an impediment to our football, our main concern should be to keep our rankings up and try to get to a gold cup final, that should be at the top of our list. i'm so glad that we're out, thank god for that, now we could concentrate on building a better team from youth level onward, that is if anyone cares to do some serious introspection.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 03:46:16 PM by pull stones »

Offline gawd on pitch

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: June 11, 2021, 03:45:35 PM »

ok mate no problem. about firing terry, trinis lobby for the scalp of a man who struggled to put a team together in a ragging pandemic not being able to train players as he would have liked especially when the league was suspended. This coach only played 5 games total since his hiring, one friendly which he loss to a great team and 4 competitive matches winning two games in a tournament and drawing two, now how does that warrant a firing?

take dennis lawrence for instance, he won his first game and lose the next 6 and then went on for 17 more games without a win, yet he not only got his contract renewed, had DJW not lost the elections I’m sure Dennis would still be coaching us. funny how we love and tolerate the smell of our own shit better than that of others.

I agree. But I think the signficance of the game and the opposition is what really determined TF's exit. I think any coach who lost that game in particular would have faced the same scrutiny and would have been removed.

All we got now is the Gold cup for 2021 and 2023. We need to be at a good ranking by 2024 as that will determine our seed. God forbid we get into a similar type of grouping where we have Suriname or Haiti instead of a BAH or PR.

1]; } ?>