March 28, 2024, 08:18:55 AM

Author Topic: Terry Fenwick Thread.  (Read 226021 times)

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Terry Fenwick Thread.
« on: May 24, 2005, 01:56:47 PM »
Fenwick wants Pro Bowl title - as Jabloteh seeks revenge
By Joel Villafana (ttproleague.com)

CL Financial San Juan Jabloteh have not won a major title since 2003, when they won the Pro League title—but come Friday 27th May—the San Juan Giants will be putting everything on the line as they will be seeking revenge—when they come face to face with their long time rivals W Connection in the 2005 Pro Bowl Finals.

Jabloteh, who lost to W Connection on penalty kicks in last years Pro Bowl Final—and they will be eager to settle the score and most importantly capture a major national title.

Head coach English born Terry Fenwick who has returned to Jabloteh this season, is accustomed to success in the T&T Pro League. Fenwick led Jabloteh in his first stint here, back in 2001/2002 to the League title, but in recent times the San Juan based unit have been going through a lean patch and according to Fenwick that is about to change.

The proud Englishman told ‘ttproleague.com’, “A win on Friday night in the Pro Bowl final over W Connection is just what we need at this stage.”

“It would be great to get a title in the bag early on, it could certainly change the outlook on the rest of the season for our players.”

The former Northampton Coach, is clear on his job, saying “When I left here back in 2002, I left what I considered to be the best team in the Caribbean and on my return that standard has slipped somewhat and my job is to bring back the club to the heights where I left it.”

Coach Fenwick is not taking anything for granted, knowing fully well their opponents in the final W Connection will be no easy task.

He said, “I have seen Connection play, and they have grown into a very good team with a few outstanding players, but we will be going into the game not phased at all, the boys know what the game means to the club and we will be prepared and ready to do our best.”

San Juan Jabloteh and W Connection will meet in the Pro Bowl Final on Friday 27 May, 2005 at the Mannie Ramjohn Stadium.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 09:17:03 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
We told them so, says Terry Fenwick.
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2006, 09:37:57 AM »
We told them so, says Terry Fenwick.
By: Joel Villafana.
[/size]

Jabloteh’s Head Coach Terry Fenwick promised before the start of the 2006 season that his team would be the team to beat this year, and so far his prophetic words are proving true.
Jabloteh have recorded their 4th victory in as many games, defeating
Starworld Strikers (1-0), Tobago United, (5-0), Superstar Rangers, (4-0),
and Defence Force (4-0).
The San Juan based team is flying high and sit on top of the ten-team table on maximum 12 points, two clear of their arch rivals W Connection.
Terry Fenwick, told ttproleague.com, “I am totally delighted with the team’s performance, the boys have done really well so far and they deserve to be on top of the standings. It has been not as easy as the results may show however, we had a tough first game against Starworld Strikers where we came away 1-0 winners, but since then the boys have settled into a nice rhythm and they look unstoppable, every time they attack they look like they can score a goal.”
The former English International was quick to point out that the race is far
from over.
“This is just a great start and that is important, but we will not be
getting ahead of ourselves, we are aware we have some big games coming up against North East, Joe Public and W Connection, but my philosophy has always been to take one game at a time and that’s what we will be doing.”
He continued, “We want to win everything there is to win this season and we will be preparing ourselves in such a way that teams will have to do very, very well to beat us.”
Jabloteh next take on North East Stars, before going on to defend its Pro
Bowl title in May.. No less than ten locally based professionals will take the field in a Trinidad and Tobago President’s Eleven outfit against Grenada’s National team in two friendly internationals on Tuesday 25 April and Thursday 27 April.
Jabloteh’s Aurtis Whitley, Anthony Wolfe, Cyd Gray as well as the club’s
skipper Kerry Baptiste and Trent Noel, W Connection’s David Atiba Charles
and Jan Michael Williams, North East Stars Gary Glasgow, and United
Petrotrin’s Anthony Rougier will all be in the mix.
National Assistant Coach Anton Corneal told ttproleague.com, these matches are crucial to the Trinidad and Tobago’s World Cup preparation.
“This is an opportunity for the local players to show what they have to
offer and to get some of them up to speed before the Peru match on May
10th.”
Mr. Corneal also added, “All these players, especially the guys on the
reserve list and even those not on the list, must come out and give of their best, and keep themselves fit and ready, because the possibility of one or two players forcing their way into the final squad for Germany is a strong likelihood.”
“The fact is we have before us a run of at least seven matches before the
first game at the world cup against Sweden, and injuries may come up with certain players, and it is important the technical staff are able to call on suitable replacements.”
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
Re: We told them so, says Terry Fenwick.
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2006, 10:11:01 AM »
The team is playing well yes but they haven't played NE Stars, Joe or Connection yet.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2006, 10:58:35 AM »
wow! dem boy ent conceed ah goal as yet oui...impressive.

Let's see how long they can maintain this streak. :beermug:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline kingman

• Most Wanted
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Football talk = socawarriors.net
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2006, 01:18:33 PM »
Go Jabloteh  :wavetowel: Show them how real professional teams get the job done.

Kingman

Paradise lies in ones' heart

Offline PEG

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Terry Fenwick badtalking us in the UK press
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2006, 11:45:12 PM »
Terry Fenwick has been choosing his words carefully since Trinidad and Tobago became the smallest nation ever to qualify for the World Cup finals.

The former England defender, who famously missed a tackle on Diego Maradona that led to the Argentinian's "goal of the century" at the 1986 World Cup in Mexico, now manages one of the leading club sides in the tiny, twin-island state.

It makes him uniquely qualified to assess the prospects of the national team, the Soca Warriors, but it also gives him a tricky problem. The last thing he wants to do is to offend the country where he now lives.

"In Germany I can't see them being a threat to anyone, although I can't really say that here," he confided. "It's been rolling

off my tongue to the local media here that it will be England and Trinidad who will qualify for the later rounds, but I can't really see it happening if I'm honest. I mean, they're talking about bringing the World Cup home every day on the radio. It's unbelievable."

Fenwick, 46, will have to be mindful of local sensitivities when he travels to Germany to commentate for Trinidad television on the Soca Warriors' clash with England in Nuremberg on June 15. But, privately, he fears the worst. "Personally, I think it's a case of not embarrassing themselves in Germany," he said.

"I wouldn't want them to be battered, but I think England are capable of battering them. Everybody is also under-estimating Sweden. The one game where they feel they might be able to nick something is against Paraguay, but that is their last group game. Basically, the team qualified through the back door. They were the oldest squad in the CONCACAF region and they'll be one of the oldest squads at the World Cup.

"When you're relying on players like Russell Latapy, who's 38, and Dwight Yorke, who's 34, there are no great legs around the team and there's no energy. Leo Beenhakker has done a great job as coach in a short period of time but he has not brought a great deal of youth or athleticism into the side."

Fenwick, who is in his second spell as manager of San Juan Jabloteh in Trinidad and Tobago's Pro-League, has the unenviable distinction of holding the worst disciplinary record by an England player at the World Cup finals - three bookings in separate matches in 1986, the second of which earned a one-match suspension.

An incident last November shows he has not exactly mellowed, either. When his side conceded a goal against W Connection, scorer Gefferson Da Silva made the mistake of celebrating too close to the Jabloteh bench. He was felled by a Fenwick elbow, sparking a full-scale punch-up between both sets of players. Fenwick was initially banned from the touchline for 12 matches but the punishment was reduced to four games on appeal.

Fenwick, who played for Queens Park Rangers, Crystal Palace and Tottenham before switching to management at Portsmouth and then Northampton, is honest in his assessment of the standard of the domestic league. ''It's very poor," he said. "I think there are exceptions, but they don't have the structure here. Most of the better players find themselves looking for football scholarships in the States and the few who are really good end up in the UK, mainly in the lower leagues. But in my eyes they are not a threat to England at all."

Of Trinidad's 23-man squad, 15 ply their trade in Britain, though the team's outstanding player, Aurtis Whitley, is coached by Fenwick at Jabloteh.

Fenwick says Whitley, a skilful midfielder, is to the Soca Warriors what Brian Lara is to Trinidadian cricket, but he is concerned about his temperament.

"He's a top player but he's 27 with the mental attitude of a 17-year-old and I think the big occasion could be too much for him. In fact, I would say that about all of the local players. Aurtis went to Portsmouth two months ago and he was meant to be there for two weeks, but after three days he was on the phone to me wanting to come home."

Fenwick worries that, after so much pre-World Cup hype, the country could be facing a big let-down. "You turn the radio on and hear people saying that Trinidad and Tobago are going to win the World Cup," he said. "Whereas in England we would celebrate on the night of qualification and we might have a hangover the next morning, they haven't stopped partying since they qualified back in November.

"Even the carnival here, which is huge, is all of a sudden being linked with football and the carnival costumes have got footballs all over them. It's all gone really overboard."

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Fenwick badtalking us in the UK press
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 12:03:38 AM »

"I wouldn't want them to be battered, but I think England are capable of battering them. Everybody is also under-estimating Sweden. The one game where they feel they might be able to nick something is against Paraguay, but that is their last group game. Basically, the team qualified through the back door. They were the oldest squad in the CONCACAF region and they'll be one of the oldest squads at the World Cup.

sounds like ppl back home yep lol

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2006, 12:17:55 AM »
What is the source?
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2006, 01:31:05 AM »
He is making good points, and his assessment about local football is true. I dont know about the phone-ins and "we gonna win the world cup" cus I not in TnT to hear it. But I sure its just joke really. And if he think Trinidad is bad, England is 1000 times worst. Every tournament they have

"the best defence, best midfielders, and best forwards in the WORLD-WE win win IT!!!"   ???     But yet they never do!

So their hype in the UK is rediculous and way unjustified.

But I agree that some of our players may act like they ready, but maybe not ready for big time football. I think Beenhakker touched on that point just before the playoffs with Bahrain.

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2006, 01:43:38 AM »
  Fenwick eh inTrinidad long enuff to know de difference between...

Trini ole talk

Rumshop talk

Mamaguy

Fatigue

BS

Day dreaming

An de Gladiator.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline croc

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2006, 01:47:44 AM »
Tuff s*it yuh go eat yuh words!!!!

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2006, 02:25:36 AM »
problem with us as trini...we dont take the truth to nice at times...always want to hear what sounds good.....he made valid ppoints...

Offline UK_Soca_warrior

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2006, 03:04:20 AM »
problem with us as trini...we dont take the truth to nice at times...always want to hear what sounds good.....he made valid ppoints...

100% in agreement! I am fully patriotic, but I am a realist. And the point he made about our players not being ready for the big occaisions has validity. Which is what I fear. Too many examples of freezing when needing to perform.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 03:32:44 AM »
This is not bad talking anybody,this is reality,though the timing of it is bad it's something i've always said "we have to wake up".
      What i appreciate about these things is that it takes foreigners to expose them to us,a local coach can't do or say anything wrong about Latapy,Yorke,Witley etc etc and this is one of the differences with coaches that we bring home,these guys are professionals and they will make the tough decisions when the time comes without fear or favour.
      I'm sure Fenwick might be looking for a job in T&T when all this is over,Beenie may go also because we are just not ready,we give the wrong people a hard time in T&T Football, that's our Coaches,no Trini could critique our Football or Footballers else they in trouble big time,Alvin,Gally,Bsc etc etc
       I have certain things i want to say but after the WC.

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 04:38:49 AM »

Trini ole talk

Rumshop talk

Mamaguy

Fatigue

BS

Day dreaming

An de Gladiator.

It look like Beenie knows more than him ?

Offline PortValeChris

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2006, 05:16:03 AM »
I can't see what the problem is,  the soca warriors are in the world cup so enjoy it.  THere's nothing wrong with saying that you're going to win it.  My team Port Vale are going to win the FA cup and win the league or get promoted every season, but we never do. 
PortValeChris  AKA The Former TVV from onevalefan. 

Port Vale  We want ah goal!!

To market, to market, with my uncle Jim
Somebody threw a tomato at him
Now, Tomatoes don't hurt with their soft juicy skin
But this one it knackered, 'cause it come in a tin

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 04, 2006, 05:35:16 AM »
I can't see what the problem is,  the soca warriors are in the world cup so enjoy it.  THere's nothing wrong with saying that you're going to win it.  My team Port Vale are going to win the FA cup and win the league or get promoted every season, but we never do. 
:rotfl:

Offline pass(10trini)

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2006, 06:45:10 AM »

That is just de supporters. If the supporters not optimistic who will be watching the mathces in the stands :D :wavetowel:
Stag is a man's beer-
Ah beer is ah carib
choose one

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2006, 07:44:57 AM »
leave de man
he sayin what everyone else sayin
only we know de truth

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2006, 07:50:36 AM »

Trini ole talk

Rumshop talk

Mamaguy

Fatigue

BS

Day dreaming

An de Gladiator.

For real fishes...btw good to see you posting

Add ROBBER TALK to that list. ;)

The only people who seriously think we go win the world cup weren't paying attention to football until the Mexico or the Bahrain games.

If Fenwick want to take them on, let him do it...
All the man doing is basically admitting that he's a hypocrite in the international press...
So what the hell if we've been partying since November? England still talking about 1966 like if was yesterday...Fast and outta place is what I call it.

Yes there will be a letdown if we don't do well...all the waggonists go go back to their regularly scheduled programs. Whatever...we got there with the support of a few; we will go back there with that support all in good time.

STEUPS
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2006, 08:28:25 AM »
what get me vex is this whitley boy ahh boy dont want to aspire

Fenwick says Whitley, a skilful midfielder, is to the Soca Warriors what Brian Lara is to Trinidadian cricket, but he is concerned about his temperament.

"He's a top player but he's 27 with the mental attitude of a 17-year-old and I think the big occasion could be too much for him. In fact, I would say that about all of the local players. Aurtis went to Portsmouth two months ago and he was meant to be there for two weeks, but after three days he was on the phone to me wanting to come home."

« Last Edit: June 04, 2006, 08:34:46 AM by triniman »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Organic

• Bamboo # 5
  • Hero Warrior
  • Politics- 90% Personality 10% Principle
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2006, 08:34:34 AM »
This is not bad talking anybody,this is reality,though the timing of it is bad it's something i've always said "we have to wake up".
      What i appreciate about these things is that it takes foreigners to expose them to us,a local coach can't do or say anything wrong about Latapy,Yorke,Witley etc etc and this is one of the differences with coaches that we bring home,these guys are professionals and they will make the tough decisions when the time comes without fear or favour.
      I'm sure Fenwick might be looking for a job in T&T when all this is over,Beenie may go also because we are just not ready,we give the wrong people a hard time in T&T Football, that's our Coaches,no Trini could critique our Football or Footballers else they in trouble big time,Alvin,Gally,Bsc etc etc
please eh...we know fully well we not winning the world cup but y cant we say we winig? de man playing he trade in trini.. dais silly o fhim to open his mouth. if he was alot of other places in de world he dare not say that. he know we go jus complain and go take a shota rum after. at any rate  time will tell.
Perhaps the epitome of a Trinidadian is the child in the third row class with a dark skin and crinkly plaits who looks at you out of decidedly Chinese eyes and announces herself as Jacqueline Maharaj.- Merle Hodge

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2006, 08:36:00 AM »
please eh...we know fully well we not winning the world cup but y cant we say we winig? de man playing he trade in trini.. dais silly o fhim to open his mouth. if he was alot of other places in de world he dare not say that. he know we go jus complain and go take a shota rum after. at any rate  time will tell.

The man is talking the truth
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2006, 08:38:19 AM »
what get me vex is this

Is he serious about this?

Triniman the funny thing is that it probably true too. It doesn't sound that strange. Maybe he shouldn't air the fella out so but he and Jabloteh probably pissed because that could have been their best chance of gettin some decent transfer money. But Whitley was missin he honey and wanted some trini sugar so he cry...that sound very realistic :D

Offline RasIred

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2006, 08:53:17 AM »
I did not find anything offensive in what he said. Some Trinidadians feel the same way Fenwick feels. The man supporting we, but on the other hand he being a bit realistic. It is his opinion, but he not far off at all. Right now u only hear bout T&T vs England.........like we only playing one match.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2006, 08:55:12 AM »
Every week I winning the blasted  million lottery, does buy six tickets.....yes ah know the odds of winning, yes ah know statitics say, it only have like 100 ppl who win...and I and millions of ppl buy still...is human nature to dream...."IF yuh doh have ah tkt, yuh doh have ah chance"...the odds of winning the WC better than the Lottery, why shouldn't some ppl dream...as long as ppl not spending plenty of the money before they win it,then wha is the problem,  cyah even do that with WC.......Bet Fenwick wa T&T beat England too .....then he could go back home and "Breakin News...Terry Fenwick coaches many of the T&T locals, that beat our boys", send him ah EPL contract...etc...etc..he is also to the agent for that "Wotley" chracter as well....sign the "wasley" and give a finders to Terry...bloh...bloh..

Offline MEP

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2006, 09:02:41 AM »
The man is being brutally honest....although no one can predict what will happen our whole level of football is substandard

Offline Foreigner

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
Terry Fenwick Criticizes Beenhakkers Selections----Do You Agree?
« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »
"Leo Beenhakker has done a great job as coach in a short period of time but he has not brought a great deal of youth or athleticism into the side."

The following quote was taken from an article in another thread which focused on Terry Fenwicks supposed dissing of the Trinidad team's chances in the World Cup.  However, I thought the most damning statement he made in this article was the above quote.  This to me is the strongest criticism of Beenhakker to date; also coming from someone who knows something about our local players and system and has credibility and no known axe to grind with Beenie.  So assuming and given the available soccer pool for TnT, did Beenie do a proper job on selection?

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2006, 09:08:09 AM »
Although he is telling the truth, this should tell you how "ignorant" he is.  He saying this to the English media and not thinking it will end up on the web or in the trini newspapers?  Regardless of whether he is telling the truth or not, most people would not appeciate what he is saying.

Nonetheless, he mostly right though.
Arimian to meh heart

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2006, 09:35:27 AM »

I will like to take a different perspective on the issue and although confronting the brutal facts and being honest is not an unwarranted trait, however using tact and  offering solutions are in my opinion even deserving of desirable traits.

Imagine one is offered a job to coach a team in a country where that person's skills, experience and expertise could enhance the program but instead of working in ways to enhance the overall program, one offers  criticism of the said program. First, I know the person's job is not to work with  the national program but do you think there are ways in which  he could work to improve the program? What solutions or what actions could one take to offer assistance? ummmm......

I am not  disputing nor am I refuting the content of the criticism but in so much as trying to discern what contributions the  said speaker could have played in the selection, preparation and consultation of our national team. Given once more that he is familiar with our professional league, has a international experience and expertise and most of all has an opinion.

Does anyone know if he was ever consulted or considered to be a part of this campaign? Could he have worked on the staff with BSC in the initial stages? could he have been part of the  entourage to select and to  train a locally based squad?

Are his comments partly out of a sense of being omitted for consideration considering that he was available? Was this a short sight on the TTFF or was he just not good enough  to work with our team in any capacity?

It must be somewhat challenging to be an English national, and hearing the  local bantering on the radio about your country. I would hope that Mr.Fenwick is wise enough and astute enough to discern what is we 'ole talk' bravado and what is wishful thinking and hoping. Too often the foreign press is guilty of associating our pride ,our elation and  our expression of displaying our joy with a 'carnival attitude Cultural stereotypical comments are not conductive to an accurate portrayal of TNT. It is not every year  nor is it a given that a country of our size get to this world stage and these celebrations and our display of affection for our team must be taken in relative context to the event.

With all due respect I applaud the honesty and the brutal reality but I detest the tact.

Respectfully submitted.

1]; } ?>