March 29, 2024, 01:13:15 AM

Author Topic: Terry Fenwick Thread.  (Read 226156 times)

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Fenwick Thread.
« Reply #960 on: December 25, 2019, 12:52:07 PM »
Latin seasoning  :rotfl:
:D I jus find we should do d basics well, then do d basics fast and strong, and then mold ah philosophy, we have man on d NT dat still can't pass or receive ah ball under pressure....basics first
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 12:55:09 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: December 25, 2019, 01:35:57 PM »
Sense, in the spirit of Xmas with stuff on de pot de seasoning reference had meh cracking up
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: December 25, 2019, 02:35:23 PM »
To extend de food and Xmas metaphor (with a dash ah Sizzla), what I'm suggesting is: yuh cyah plant corn if yuh want to grow peas. Seasoning is for us an ingredient not a condiment.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2019, 02:52:27 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: December 25, 2019, 03:21:57 PM »
I wonder if anyone has stopped to notice that Latin American teams in concacaf struggle against us and jamaica? the only Latin team in concacaf who runs rings over us is honduras, and that’s because they have big strong tall players like us who match us with speed and physicality.

the Mexicans would rather face any central american team than TT or jamaica, not that we beat them often or dominate them, but they struggle against us, and that’s because we play more of an english brand that the Latin players struggle against. in all honesty European football is a solid brand (contrary to popular opinion) and we in trinidad should adapt ourselves to that brand and learn it well.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: December 25, 2019, 04:44:50 PM »
I wonder if anyone has stopped to notice that Latin American teams in concacaf struggle against us and jamaica? the only Latin team in concacaf who runs rings over us is honduras, and that’s because they have big strong tall players like us who match us with speed and physicality.

Like you forget about Costa Rica?
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: December 25, 2019, 05:36:32 PM »
To extend de food and Xmas metaphor (with a dash ah Sizzla), what I'm suggesting is: yuh cyah plant corn if yuh want to grow peas. Seasoning is for us an ingredient not a condiment.
I understand where yuh coming from yuh know, I jus mean build around what we have, focus it better, and incorporate what we want to have slowly with ah proper map of how to get there, right now d soil real poor for peas, but if corn could help yuh eat until then well ;)............ 
I pity the fool....

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: December 26, 2019, 12:41:38 AM »

we struggle with Costa Rica the same as we struggle with mexico and El Salvador, but these teams don’t demolish us like honduras. for some reason honduras has our number and we match up poorly against them.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: December 26, 2019, 07:50:15 AM »

we struggle with Costa Rica the same as we struggle with mexico and El Salvador, but these teams don’t demolish us like honduras. for some reason honduras has our number and we match up poorly against them.

Actually, we have a worse record against Costa Rica
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: December 26, 2019, 09:47:09 AM »

Tall man, you right, I don’t think we have ever beaten them in WC play. I don’t think we have ever beaten JA in WC play either.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: December 26, 2019, 12:04:39 PM »

i know mate but that’s not where i was going with this comment. allow me to explain. my original point was that our european style of play particularly us and the jamaicans for some reason seem to confound the mexicans. they struggle tremendously when they play us and have to pull out all their stops, but it’s not so when they face the central americans whom they tend to steam roll on most occasions.

I made this comment to dispel the notion that we play a Latin brand which IMO is a fallacy, and I used honduras as a measuring stick to say that in fact the only other Latin team that play a semi euro style that matches up very good against us is honduras, we seem to somehow struggle with them and they seem to always out play us out right.

in the last 4 games we played them they had the bulk of the possession shots on goal corners you name it, in fact in our last two nations cup games if we had five corners kicks in the both games that would have been a lot. it’s not that mexico and costa rica are not better teams or have a better record against us than the hondurans, but for some reason when we meet, they out play us out right because of their style of play.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 12:08:10 PM by pull stones »

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: December 26, 2019, 01:03:39 PM »

i know mate but that’s not where i was going with this comment. allow me to explain. my original point was that our european style of play particularly us and the jamaicans for some reason seem to confound the mexicans. they struggle tremendously when they play us and have to pull out all their stops, but it’s not so when they face the central americans whom they tend to steam roll on most occasions.

I made this comment to dispel the notion that we play a Latin brand which IMO is a fallacy, and I used honduras as a measuring stick to say that in fact the only other Latin team that play a semi euro style that matches up very good against us is honduras, we seem to somehow struggle with them and they seem to always out play us out right.

in the last 4 games we played them they had the bulk of the possession shots on goal corners you name it, in fact in our last two nations cup games if we had five corners kicks in the both games that would have been a lot. it’s not that mexico and costa rica are not better teams or have a better record against us than the hondurans, but for some reason when we meet, they out play us out right because of their style of play.

The truth is, we love the Latin brand. We are Brazil and Argentina fans, the dribbling and skills and individual play. But we do rarely have the players with those skills. To be successful, we must play with what we have and don't try to be what we are not. We therefore need to find the coach who uses our skills most efficiently. Is it any wonder that Beenhaker was able to mold our time so quickly and take us to the World Cup where many South American coaches have not? JMHO
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: December 26, 2019, 01:07:17 PM »
Its sad to see a country like Trinidad that has a Latin culture always hiring a bunch of English coach's I guess they will never get it right.
We love it; like to see it; follow it. But we have rarely had the skilled players to play a Latin American brand of football. That is the illusion.
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 26, 2019, 02:03:06 PM »
Its sad to see a country like Trinidad that has a Latin culture always hiring a bunch of English coach's I guess they will never get it right.
We love it; like to see it; follow it. But we have rarely had the skilled players to play a Latin American brand of football. That is the illusion.
exactly
I pity the fool....

Offline soccerman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: December 26, 2019, 07:55:41 PM »
exactly
I do believe we are capable of playing another brand than the traditional English. Doesn't mean it has to be Latin American. I strongly believe we can play a style where we can build and play through our midfield. We have the talent, we just need a coach to motivate and enforce the discipline during play.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: December 26, 2019, 08:38:23 PM »
exactly
I do believe we are capable of playing another brand than the traditional English. Doesn't mean it has to be Latin American. I strongly believe we can play a style where we can build and play through our midfield. We have the talent, we just need a coach to motivate and enforce the discipline during play.

I feel we would do well adapting that fast basic but hard nosed "pass and move" "brand" the U.S. deploys so effectively at times and move on from there, our speed of play needs a serious upgrade, remember our women did well with that, we went toe for toe with the U.S in a women's game for the first time ever under Waldron and for god sake re implement a proper pressing system we cause teams in this region issues when we press
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #975 on: December 26, 2019, 08:51:44 PM »

Precisely.  Also, the notion of an "English style" (certainly what posters apparently have in mind a la the 70s and 80s) is passé to somewhat passé in elite football.

There are two concerns (1) the immediate future and (2) way beyond that. For the immediate future I agree with all the posts that are focused on maximizing what we have; for beyond that, maximizing what we have without nutrients from other player development traditions is to ignore reality.

While there have been players that have been good players that have emerged from within our traditions, based on what we have, we are underproducing high caliber pros (and those that we have produced are not being produced through a global and systematic structure ... which is where the crux of the problem lies).

That will continue to be the case if we believe the issue is absolutely grounded in the distances between an "English style", "Latin styles", "US style", "European style" etc. The issue is not stylistic in the abstract. It is a technical and tactical composite exaggerated by a gap in physical preparation. In Africa there's not a lot of time spent being consumed with an "African style" (that was primarily the discourse of several years back) ... what they are consumed with is putting players on the market who can play anywhere and adapt anywhere without stunting the players' organic qualities ... which is basically what the South American market leaders have been preoccupied with ...

It was the English who had a bias against the prospect of dominance by certain foreign players in the English game and contemporary history has pretty much put paid to each one of those prejudices and biases. It turns out the deficiencies were English coaching deficiencies rather than absolute player ineptitude or lack of suitability to English conditions.

« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 08:58:17 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 26, 2019, 09:19:52 PM »
And now for the virtual tour. I will post 4 videos eventually, starting with this one ... deliberately chosen for a number of reasons (we will flush dem out, but the main ones should be obvious to begging for an answer).

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/oiiZR8UdfvY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/oiiZR8UdfvY</a>

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 26, 2019, 10:09:37 PM »
exactly

I feel we would do well adapting that fast basic but hard nosed "pass and move" "brand" the U.S. deploys so effectively at times and move on from there, our speed of play needs a serious upgrade, remember our women did well with that, we went toe for toe with the U.S in a women's game for the first time ever under Waldron and for god sake re implement a proper pressing system we cause teams in this region issues when we press

Today I watched 3 Boxing Day matches. The teams in the EPL do not play the traditional English football as in the past. The teams are packed with foreigners whose styles are incorporated into the English game and changing it. Almost all the EPL teams do a lot more short passing than hit the long  ball as they raise their heads. The well manicured grounds of the EPL are designed for this new style of football. In addition there are many continental coaches in the EPL who are changing that style of English football. maybe the lower division teams are still playing old traditional English style. I don't know. But as they move up, they all change their style to adapt to the premiership.

Right now Liverpool and Man. City are  as good or equal to any continental galacticos, and can handle anything the South Americans throw at them.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:16:01 PM by Deeks »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 26, 2019, 10:14:39 PM »
And now for the virtual tour. I will post 4 videos eventually, starting with this one ... deliberately chosen for a number of reasons (we will flush dem out, but the main ones should be obvious to begging for an answer).

<a href="https://youtube.com/v/oiiZR8UdfvY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://youtube.com/v/oiiZR8UdfvY</a>

Damn asylum, you showing your age.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 26, 2019, 10:21:11 PM »

this brings back memories of when we first moved to england, the muddy white clothes the skinny looking players who ran ran and ran the field without stoping and scoring those basic goals with that ordinary white ball with no designs. seems to me back then all the pitches in england looked like great big pig sties just filled with mud especially in the 6 yard box. Yuk.

those were the days though. the old boys smoking their pipes and rocking those tweed brixton hats singing their lungs out in the pubs to their favorite teams. those were the days of the firms and the hooliganism, bitter sweet memories.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:23:22 PM by pull stones »

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 26, 2019, 10:38:10 PM »
that’s when english footballers almost never back pass, they either pass forward or square but rarely will they re start the play, back then the play the quintessential back and forwards as we saw in that clip.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 26, 2019, 10:57:48 PM »
that’s when english footballers almost never back pass, they either pass forward or square but rarely will they re start the play, back then the play the quintessential back and forwards as we saw in that clip.

I remember those matches on Star Soccer. Leeds was a real terror team. Bremner, Lorimor, Clark, etc would terrorizes all them teams. They had real good players.  I was really surprised when the fell out of grace and got demoted. Northingham Forest was another go for broke team.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 10:59:37 PM by Deeks »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 26, 2019, 11:39:10 PM »
exactly

Today I watched 3 Boxing Day matches. The teams in the EPL do not play the traditional English football as in the past. The teams are packed with foreigners whose styles are incorporated into the English game and changing it. Almost all the EPL teams do a lot more short passing than hit the long  ball as they raise their heads. The well manicured grounds of the EPL are designed for this new style of football. In addition there are many continental coaches in the EPL who are changing that style of English football. maybe the lower division teams are still playing old traditional English style. I don't know. But as they move up, they all change their style to adapt to the premiership.

Right now Liverpool and Man. City are  as good or equal to any continental galacticos, and can handle anything the South Americans throw at them.
will never advocate long ball play for us, in fact I view the long ball as a purely situational tool like quick switches of play from left to right, what I suggesting is a system that based on rapid ball progression primarily through short passing and progressive player movement, I actually think we might play well in a 4-3-3 /4-5-1 with two 8s with the players we have now.....with some work though, molino would combine well with another attack minded mid than being the sole creative outlet
« Last Edit: December 26, 2019, 11:41:11 PM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 27, 2019, 05:13:56 AM »
lefty, yuh watch de video yet?

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 27, 2019, 05:54:24 AM »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 27, 2019, 06:30:22 AM »

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 27, 2019, 07:25:30 AM »

Damn asylum, you showing your age.

I am amused when I listen to the Nevilles of the world speak about Manchester United as if it has always had a hegemonic presence or legacy within English football or has never experienced moments of irrelevance in the title race. There's a generation of fans that's come of age believing that the "Anno Domini" of football is 1992 and that, of course, is simply not the case.

That said, I still hadda defer to the "B.C." of football to men like you and maxg etc   ;D

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 27, 2019, 07:47:56 AM »
yes

Thoughts?
for an "English" side leeds moved the ball really well, they shifted SH around nicely to create space but dey also use plenty direct runs to create chances...dat was ah real demolition

Where we going though, context

« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 07:50:46 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 27, 2019, 08:09:49 AM »
yes

Thoughts?
for an "English" side leeds moved the ball really well, they shifted SH around nicely to create space but dey also use plenty direct runs to create chances...dat was ah real demolition

Where we going though, context

First question: any reliance on the long ball? And what yuh mean "English"? No quotation marks required. :)
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:11:30 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 27, 2019, 08:12:51 AM »
Other than to switch play or "release" attackers not much as far as i percieved anyway and "English" ah mean d stereotypical route 1 idea of it
« Last Edit: December 27, 2019, 08:16:21 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>