March 28, 2024, 04:55:27 AM

Author Topic: Terry Fenwick Thread.  (Read 225995 times)

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Re: Terry Fenwick Thread.
« Reply #1050 on: January 13, 2020, 03:24:44 AM »
I disagree with building a team with players who have TT passports .

What sort of passports should they get?  :devil:

Brazilian passports I feel. Or at least some kinda Latin lol

I don't agree fully with ffisback, but I too feel that we should not look chiefly to the diaspora for quality but try to shape quality here too in equally aggressive manner, if not more so, responded to Tallman on a facebook post re d U15s some months ago during dat messy tourny DJW and crew organize

The local pool being inadequate is cop out in my opinion, why can't we do proper speed drills, introduce a nutritionist and proper strength and endurance sessions with these boys, they have fair foundation, it jus handicapped by these same development issues that have hampered us for decades, no ah not rejecting d diaspora, ah just saying - we play football at d same tempo "little or none" - fix dat. We place no emphasis on fitness endurance and nutrition - fix dat. D coaches should be mulling over dem game footage right now identifying dem ting...but guess what...ah sure it not going to happen....start doing pre game, in game and post game oppo analysis, to fix issues and understand present and future opponents, we football exist in a 70s-80s time warp with some ah dem coach we using, so guess what...ah sure it not going to happen. again ah not saying reject d diaspora, but this is 2019 it have nuff freely available info on preparing youth for modern football, why we not recognizing dat we are behind....WAY BEHIND.....in football development processes.....WHY!!!!

I too don't want us to be only seeking quality from outside at d expense of finding potential here, they exist, just isn't getting proper development ATM.

For now we should look mainly to the diaspora bc they are talented and playing at a higher level

Unless it’s cummings and a few select others, I would tap that outside talent while having a small local based squad in training and developing

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: January 13, 2020, 03:34:38 AM »
Looking outside can be good - bring players in to mix with the locals and share the wealth of their professional experience, build good networks, and otherwise up the soft skills of the team.

As long as looking abroad doesn't mean neglecting domestic talent, it's good.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: January 13, 2020, 04:35:20 AM »
I disagree with building a team with players who have TT passports .

What sort of passports should they get?  :devil:

Brazilian passports I feel. Or at least some kinda Latin lol

I don't agree fully with ffisback, but I too feel that we should not look chiefly to the diaspora for quality but try to shape quality here too in equally aggressive manner, if not more so, responded to Tallman on a facebook post re d U15s some months ago during dat messy tourny DJW and crew organize

The local pool being inadequate is cop out in my opinion, why can't we do proper speed drills, introduce a nutritionist and proper strength and endurance sessions with these boys, they have fair foundation, it jus handicapped by these same development issues that have hampered us for decades, no ah not rejecting d diaspora, ah just saying - we play football at d same tempo "little or none" - fix dat. We place no emphasis on fitness endurance and nutrition - fix dat. D coaches should be mulling over dem game footage right now identifying dem ting...but guess what...ah sure it not going to happen....start doing pre game, in game and post game oppo analysis, to fix issues and understand present and future opponents, we football exist in a 70s-80s time warp with some ah dem coach we using, so guess what...ah sure it not going to happen. again ah not saying reject d diaspora, but this is 2019 it have nuff freely available info on preparing youth for modern football, why we not recognizing dat we are behind....WAY BEHIND.....in football development processes.....WHY!!!!

I too don't want us to be only seeking quality from outside at d expense of finding potential here, they exist, just isn't getting proper development ATM.

For now we should look mainly to the diaspora bc they are talented and playing at a higher level

Unless it’s cummings and a few select others, I would tap that outside talent while having a small local based squad in training and developing
I am not advocating against the diaspora just want us to pay equal attention to getting the levels of locals up especially our leagues, Cummings in his 30s, I thinking beyond him because I DO advocate strongly for reducing the average age of the squad, all I want is active focus on improving local levels even while we utilize the diaspora. Belgium and Iceland have excellent development programs and a unified effort to get the best pool possible, locals are never going to compete if local football levels are left as they are. This is trinidad, we tend often to ignore d big picture in favor of d expedient.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:10:44 AM by lefty »
I pity the fool....

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: January 13, 2020, 05:00:06 AM »
this
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: January 13, 2020, 06:07:33 AM »
What prompted the presumption that the mention of an infusion of players born abroad, to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, bears a correlation to neglect of the domestic agenda?

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: January 13, 2020, 06:12:00 AM »
this

In the short term, to supplement the paucity at certain positions, I have no reason to disagree in searching for overseas talent. This nothing new to us. It has been done before. And it will continue in the future. There is one caveat/problem I have. It is when one of the overseas talent sits on the fence, waiting for his birth country for a call up, while the parents country is waiting on an answer. But that is part of the dynamics we have to live with.

The other side is domestic. The TTFA and other entities that LOVE TT and football. We, they need to create the programs to develop men and women teams. From U 12/14 to seniors. This pro-league need drastic improvement. Fenwick will have a hard time building a credible national team, if the pro-league cannot produce good to great players. Right now they sub-standard for international football. I am in no way trying to put down the players. After watching the last GC, we know that our current players are below international standard.

The elephant in the room in the other half of the population. There has to be some kind of effort to engage the East Indian population to participate more in competitive football, not just recreational. That goes for all other sports, except cricket. Everybody like to compare us with the other elephant, JA. They say TT are underachievers in sports and other stuff. JA has a ready and eager talent pool bar non. Close too 3 million.  TT has a talent pool off 1.3 million. And half the population are not engaged enough to try other sports. Hockey, rugby, basketball, netball, TF have very few East Indians, if any, participating. Swimming, tennis, table-tennis buck the trend a little. I know we always have Douglah players playing all sports. But that is not good enough. Create the atmosphere for them to participate in all the TTFA programs. There maybe   at least one diamond of East Indian descent on these 2 rocks in the South Caribbean who could turn out to be a Salah, Aguero, Mahrez or  I maybe stretching it far, (CR7).

The last prominent player of EI descent, as far as I concern was Steve Khan from Sando or Princess Town. Not sure. He played for Milan in the SFA. And that was in the 70s.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 06:20:43 AM by Deeks »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: January 13, 2020, 06:50:09 AM »
What prompted the presumption that the mention of an infusion of players born abroad, to citizens of Trinidad and Tobago, bears a correlation to neglect of the domestic agenda?

because it happens, it's not deliberate, it's purely based on needs, but it happens, simple example would be when Hart was coach and had to endure the constant grumbling about pro leaguers being ignored and when they were foisted on him by hook and crook, the inadequacies of local footballers were laid bare to frustrating proportions, my concern is that if we find immediate success with the diaspora that work needed on the ground here isn't ignored both by the admin but moreso by local stakeholders.......The admin however have to set the tone for what is to be expected of players seeking national duty and enforce it with the clubs, schools(SSFL and private academies) dat pedestrian brand dat seems to be the order of the day here may leave a lot of hopefuls by the wayside in the interim given what is being articulated and will need addressing.

I want all the playing Talent available to be utilized, I just recognize, players trained here are almost automatically at a disadvantage due to the dispensation as it relate to local football dev and dat efforts should be made to bridge the gaps in conjunction to rebuilding the teams\pragram....dais all I sayin
I pity the fool....

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: January 13, 2020, 07:22:57 AM »
Lefty is it the senior men's national team coach's job to develop players in T&T or to select the best players?

Let Fenwick do his job and let the technical director/committee do theirs
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: January 13, 2020, 08:12:31 AM »
Lefty is it the senior men's national team coach's job to develop players in T&T or to select the best players?

I agree, but I think you all are missing where I coming from, the senior team situation is what it is at present, I looking more towards d future and giving what we have on d ground the best shot at making it in said future, and if local football remains what it is I see plenty grumbling in the future especially among the ffisback\s of the world re: locally trained players
I pity the fool....

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: January 13, 2020, 08:13:55 AM »

Exactly 💯

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: January 13, 2020, 01:49:51 PM »
I think everyone who hasn't been comatose during the past 15 years understands that domestic football needs a facelift and internal procedures.  Football went from somewhat functional to being on life-support. That is a conversation aside from the question of foreign-born players and our descent into life-support had nothing to do with them.

I do NOT like its inclusion in the current analysis because it signals the wrong messaging to those players and their families and it's definitely not the welcome we want to present. And it's also not true.

Just as it's a romantic idea that NT representation shouldn't be paid, it's also romantic to want to play with only players born on either island.

A little bit more and some will sound like Le Pen wanting to win a WC but without Thuram or Desailly. Discuss what really ails football but do not make it seem as if the inclusion of foreign-born players has ever impeded the on the ground progress of football structures on either island. It has not.

Largely, the persons who have impeded football in T&T live in T&T.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 01:55:29 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: January 13, 2020, 01:54:59 PM »
Is this even a conversation?

The best players with T&T passports, Period! The best coach we could get! The best administration we could put together! WHY would we entertain anything less/else?

This will raise the standards and the expectations of all stakeholders.

We are too comfortable with mediocrity.

Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: January 13, 2020, 01:57:28 PM »

Exactly 💯

x 2.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: January 13, 2020, 02:05:33 PM »
The issue on the table is whether Fenwick will in the space of 3-4 months have found names from abroad that DL didn't identify or couldn't include during his tenure. Also at issue is if he's able to woo those who were coy or kicked back to their corners previously. Looking forward to seeing how much of a statement is made in both respects.

Offline Dinner Mints

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Cory Thomas: Illustration and Design
« Reply #1064 on: January 13, 2020, 02:11:40 PM »
Is this even a conversation?

The best players with T&T passports, Period! The best coach we could get! The best administration we could put together! WHY would we entertain anything less/else?

This will raise the standards and the expectations of all stakeholders.

We are too comfortable with mediocrity.

This.

Put false pride aside and raise the bar.

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1065 on: January 13, 2020, 02:34:23 PM »

Best comment you’ve made in a very long time  :beermug:

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1066 on: January 13, 2020, 02:43:54 PM »
this

In the short term, to supplement the paucity at certain positions, I have no reason to disagree in searching for overseas talent. This nothing new to us. It has been done before. And it will continue in the future. There is one caveat/problem I have. It is when one of the overseas talent sits on the fence, waiting for his birth country for a call up, while the parents country is waiting on an answer. But that is part of the dynamics we have to live with.

The other side is domestic. The TTFA and other entities that LOVE TT and football. We, they need to create the programs to develop men and women teams. From U 12/14 to seniors. This pro-league need drastic improvement. Fenwick will have a hard time building a credible national team, if the pro-league cannot produce good to great players. Right now they sub-standard for international football. I am in no way trying to put down the players. After watching the last GC, we know that our current players are below international standard.

The elephant in the room in the other half of the population. There has to be some kind of effort to engage the East Indian population to participate more in competitive football, not just recreational. That goes for all other sports, except cricket. Everybody like to compare us with the other elephant, JA. They say TT are underachievers in sports and other stuff. JA has a ready and eager talent pool bar non. Close too 3 million.  TT has a talent pool off 1.3 million. And half the population are not engaged enough to try other sports. Hockey, rugby, basketball, netball, TF have very few East Indians, if any, participating. Swimming, tennis, table-tennis buck the trend a little. I know we always have Douglah players playing all sports. But that is not good enough. Create the atmosphere for them to participate in all the TTFA programs. There maybe   at least one diamond of East Indian descent on these 2 rocks in the South Caribbean who could turn out to be a Salah, Aguero, Mahrez or  I maybe stretching it far, (CR7).

The last prominent player of EI descent, as far as I concern was Steve Khan from Sando or Princess Town. Not sure. He played for Milan in the SFA. And that was in the 70s.

Theres no elephant in the room... you have Greg who hasn’t started a game yet and is bar none our best keeper in and out of Trinidad and tobago to date..

I think people need to get away from the East Indian talk, they are trini, most of them can’t speak a damn word of Hindi and those home are so brainwashed they think they still close to India when they are not... for argument sake they have plenty ballers who are EI descent that have been overlooked in the past and I’ve heard stories ...

Select the best team and best players, whether they are Foreign or local... right now it’s foreign based and trust me they have many that can play... there isn’t a shortage, Hutchinson who played for Canada is full trini... his brother is a friend of mine and we played basketball together

Not once was he called to try out for Trinidad... and there are many more in just the Toronto area.. that are talented and deserve a try out and some are EI descent btw like Greg ...

In fact many Trinis are just resorting to playing basketball and not football, but if they see guys getting call ups to Trinidad that deserve it, there may be a big influx of talent

« Last Edit: January 13, 2020, 02:47:01 PM by Controversial »

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1067 on: January 13, 2020, 04:21:46 PM »
 ??? ok I'm done clearly english is my second language
I pity the fool....

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1068 on: January 14, 2020, 12:52:25 AM »
this

Theres no elephant in the room... you have Greg who hasn’t started a game yet and is bar none our best keeper in and out of Trinidad and tobago to date..

I think people need to get away from the East Indian talk, they are trini, most of them can’t speak a damn word of Hindi and those home are so brainwashed they think they still close to India when they are not... for argument sake they have plenty ballers who are EI descent that have been overlooked in the past and I’ve heard stories ...

Select the best team and best players, whether they are Foreign or local... right now it’s foreign based and trust me they have many that can play... there isn’t a shortage, Hutchinson who played for Canada is full trini... his brother is a friend of mine and we played basketball together

Not once was he called to try out for Trinidad... and there are many more in just the Toronto area.. that are talented and deserve a try out and some are EI descent btw like Greg ...

In fact many Trinis are just resorting to playing basketball and not football, but if they see guys getting call ups to Trinidad that deserve it, there may be a big influx of talent

I stand by what I say. Not in a pejorative way! I am saying, since this new TTFA is turning a new page for TT football, they should make an extra effort in the developmental programs. U-10/11 thru U-16. From this point we will know who want to seriously play professional or recreation football or go to US college. We have to make the effort to expand the local talent pool.

And as Fenwick said, they will be looking at overseas born players. That is fine with me. We have done that in the past and we will continue to do it in the future.

The same can be said for Tobago. Many forumites from Tobago complain of the problem that the players have. Transport is a big factor. Then some of the development programs does not include many Tobagonians or sometimes miss them completely.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1069 on: January 15, 2020, 06:08:27 PM »
Today in History

Former San Juan Jabloteh coach, Terry Fenwick, signs T&T midfielder Brent Rahim to a loan deal at Northampton Town. Rahim's parent club is Bulgarian side Levski Sofia.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1070 on: January 16, 2020, 02:43:45 AM »
Today in History

Former San Juan Jabloteh coach, Terry Fenwick, signs T&T midfielder Brent Rahim to a loan deal at Northampton Town. Rahim's parent club is Bulgarian side Levski Sofia.

What's he up to these days?

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1071 on: January 16, 2020, 04:40:32 AM »
Today in History

He's been a FIFA employee for the greater part of the last decade, achieving progressive responsibilities. He's currently  FIFA's High Performance, Futsal and Beach Soccer Manager, effective last month.

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1072 on: January 16, 2020, 04:59:52 AM »
Today in History

He's been a FIFA employee for the greater part of the last decade, achieving progressive responsibilities. He's currently  FIFA's High Performance, Futsal and Beach Soccer Manager, effective last month.

Sounds like a good career, glad to hear it.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1073 on: January 28, 2020, 06:13:09 PM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 06:15:00 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1074 on: January 29, 2020, 02:47:37 AM »
Wow, imagine Fenwick knew that there used to be a football season and a cricket season!!!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1075 on: January 29, 2020, 05:46:27 AM »
Wow, imagine Fenwick knew that there used to be a football season and a cricket season!!!

Well, he should know. Didn't we inherit the pattern of separation from the Mother Country? I understood him to be speaking about his experience in England ... which mirrored ours.

I hated cricket season. The season, not the game. I always questioned why we had to stop playing. Within a week abroad I was playing on snow.  Fairly sure I could have played in our conditions hard and dry. Lost time. The divide was a convention in our heads and a neat way of having players available to both sports. So many touches lost doh.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2020, 05:54:06 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1076 on: February 02, 2020, 07:32:44 AM »
Listen to National Head Coach Terry Fenwick.

Nice interview, that brings into question should the SSFL season be longer say September to March ?
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1077 on: February 15, 2020, 06:58:08 PM »
WATCH: Touching base with Trinidad and Tobago Men's Head Coach Terry Fenwick

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/3Y5vZM0Wk7w" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/3Y5vZM0Wk7w</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Terry, go for youth and experience
« Reply #1078 on: March 02, 2020, 12:00:39 PM »
Terry, go for youth and experience
T&T Newsday

THE EDITOR: Open letter to Terry Fenwick, the T&T senior team head coach.

You have always sought after the job of national football coach of the men’s team. Congratulations!

However, let me remind you that it’s a thankless job and long knives will be drawn at your back. My view is that if you try to play superman, you will fail. You need to listen to good advice, some of which I intend to impart here.

I am always in favour of the senior team being a blend of youth and experience. I advise you to use the Star Trek tagline and “boldly go where no man has gone before.”

Introduce young players in the team. Since the retirement of Dwight Yorke and Russell Latapy, we have not seen a young player to excite football lovers. The closest is Kevin Molino. However, there are many young and exciting players from the Secondary Schools Football League.

Here are some names to look at: Seon Shipley, Jardel St Clair, Nathaniel Perouse, Jeron Pantor, Isaiah Chase, Mark Ramdeen, Isa Bramble, Declan Marcelle, Molik Khan, Akeel Jacob, Jordan Riley, Che Benny, Teeson Teresa, and Judah St Louis.

UTT’s Michael Holder is another exciting prospect.

May I remind you the football public expects to see development in your team. At this rebuilding stage, you will lose matches and you will win some. Canada is your first test. Go brave and best of luck.

KEITH ANDERSON

Port of Spain
« Last Edit: March 03, 2020, 08:03:52 AM by Flex »
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1079 on: March 02, 2020, 01:14:58 PM »
I agree on the introduction youth, referencing the SSFL is a SMNT source simply solidifies my view dat we have an inflated view of local football and its player products, can an SSFL player make d NT yes, should he make said NT playing basic SSFL ball hell no, dat player needs to show d ability to level up, big time, this why I say the local football needs to be fixed or we will have a whole lot of disgruntled people when d foreign based and diaspora offspring inevitably starts rolling in and locals can't see a route because they can't or won't adapt to a faster game. I know my people and we see same said play off with Hart already
I pity the fool....

1]; } ?>