March 28, 2024, 08:23:59 AM

Author Topic: Terry Fenwick Thread.  (Read 226023 times)

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Fenwick Thread.
« Reply #1290 on: February 03, 2021, 08:05:34 AM »
There's certainly a LOT of public commentary about this match in the public domain. Not even Saintfiet attracted this level of weighing-in at his kick-off. There's a heavy public investment in this match psychologically ... which is an indicator of the ceiling to which football can be raised with proper governance.

General comment, not a veiled indictment of the NC. Merely something for the halls of officialdom to note.

Success to TF.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1291 on: February 03, 2021, 08:14:58 AM »
There's certainly a LOT of public commentary about this match in the public domain. Not even Saintfiet attracted this level of weighing-in at his kick-off. There's a heavy public investment in this match psychologically ... which is an indicator of the ceiling to which football can be raised with proper governance.

General comment, not a veiled indictment of the NC. Merely something for the halls of officialdom to note.

Success to TF.
it’s like blaming the janitor for the building’s faulty wiring. these people needs prospective.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1292 on: February 03, 2021, 08:47:48 AM »

Success to TF.
it’s like blaming the janitor for the building’s faulty wiring. these people needs prospective.

That may be partially so but you don't pay a janitor 20k USA a month if your don't think he has the skill set to  repair what's wrong?  At least he could  run the wires so they could produce some kinda spark for that price!!!!

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1293 on: February 03, 2021, 11:58:35 AM »
Terry should have taken up the offer to play Anguilla BEFORE facing the US, that I disagree with him on. This game would have been a good test for some of the none cap T&T players.

I am sure Stern John's team would have given us a good test for some of these young players.

After the last time we played Anguilla......it would have been a riot from the time that game was announced. And besides....the US based would not have been available to play so what would have been the worth of it ?? How we going to judge them against Anguilla ???
Is the same thing they said the last time we played them......a waste of time.

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1294 on: February 03, 2021, 12:03:59 PM »

Success to TF.

That may be partially so but you don't pay a janitor 20k USA a month if your don't think he has the skill set to  repair what's wrong?  At least he could  run the wires so they could produce some kinda spark for that price!!!!
The point is not whether or not he can run the wires or repair the problem....it is the prospective of blaming him for the faulty wiring that is there already.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 03, 2021, 12:25:49 PM »

Success to TF.

you missed The Whole point mate. it’s not the coaches responsibility to teach you how to trap, how to dribble, how to pass, how to shield a ball under pressure, how to mark, how to create space, how to move off the ball, how to keep defensive shape, it is his responsibility however to teach you his system and to implement it, it is his responsibility to teach you tactical plays to break down you opponent.

No coach shouldn’t have to teach players the technical aspect of football, that should already be in tact if you’re a professional. it’s only fair that you know that almost of those seven goals players were either caught out of position, and were allowing players to go unmraked in the box. So Please mate spare me the old talk about 20k a month, because not even pep gardiola could get these technically flawed bunch to play decent football. these lads should have been taught well from a very young age to ball handle in the first place.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1296 on: February 03, 2021, 12:29:21 PM »

Success to TF.

The point is not whether or not he can run the wires or repair the problem....it is the prospective of blaming him for the faulty wiring that is there already.
I should have read your comment before I wasted time to do all that typing. you said it way more effective and with less words. cheers.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1297 on: February 03, 2021, 12:38:43 PM »

Success to TF.

In keeping with the same vein, :D
 Who here didn’t know the wiring was faulty ? Nobody expect him to fix it after one tryout game. Yet to AlBerta point that 20 k US $ a mth should not be going to playing with the lights and changing bulbs. It should be going towards an electrical team to deal with the wiring and upgrading the electrical box.  But the managers hoping for a Jesus, to change around some bulbs, in the hope that we find one bright one to see we way, till that burn out. Wrong Again!

Maybe the issue is management can’t see a electrical team worthy of 100k TT a mth to fix that wiring. Maybe the management team, is and has always been part of the wiring problem all along. Maybe the wire the store selling is of inferior quality and keeps burning out, before any constructive work can be done. Leaving everyone working in the dark.

Even shit-talk is partly organic, doh mean ppl should eat it.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 03, 2021, 12:48:47 PM »

Success to TF.

In keeping with the same vein, :D
 Who here didn’t know the wiring was faulty ? Nobody expect him to fix it after one tryout game. Yet to AlBerta point that 20 k US $ a mth should not be going to playing with the lights and changing bulbs. It should be going towards an electrical team to deal with the wiring and upgrading the electrical box.  But the managers hoping for a Jesus, to change around some bulbs, in the hope that we find one bright one to see we way, till that burn out. Wrong Again!

Maybe the issue is management can’t see a electrical team worthy of 100k TT a mth to fix that wiring. Maybe the management team, is and has always been part of the wiring problem all along. Maybe the wire the store selling is of inferior quality and keeps burning out, before any constructive work can be done. Leaving everyone working in the dark.

Even shit-talk is partly organic, doh mean ppl should eat it.

AB I wouldn't call a janitor to do electrical work not even for a dollar. That might be where you short-circuited. :devil:

@maxg ... that part in bold ... :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:
« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 12:50:57 PM by asylumseeker »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1299 on: February 03, 2021, 09:12:13 PM »
 :-[
Yeah ah bust out the vein ah lilbit dey. Sorry.

But talk cheap, although plenty of us don’t have a voice when or where it matters.

To many people want to do their own individual thing, very few willing to follow a consented leader, unless a coup occurs.

Ask for a opinion on this board, we all want the same thing, yet you will get 200 opinions, and we can’t agree on one step forward together as one. Yet we expect our admin to ‘just do it’. Do what ?

Once Fenwick was hot, he was successful, he produced. That was awhile ago. We have 300 other coaches now, and everyone thinks they better.

Fenwick went elsewhere, get licks, come back home get licks. Yet he deserve a shot that he should of had years ago, ok. However, the mold and confusion has spread since then. We have plenty more qualified coaches now, and their system is best.

We let the best coach we could ever had get away, and many grumble, but plenty still clap and support the
decision. No voice, plenty talk.  Instead of we protest, we start to attack those that constantly did, and instead of we pull together and deal with the admin. Many chose to deal with the typing protestors, and thus we turn against ourselves.
We have numbers and all we make is a noise that ppl just ignore. I turning 66 this year, don’t have much time left ahead of me, I going to try (try ah say) to focus on more positive and productive and helpful things for these last few. It don’t look like TT football, or much TT at all. Yet it’s still my birth place, meh navel string bury deh and so will be my soul. Football is my love, even if she didn’t love me back as I did. Now , priorities changed, even if I still love she and my country.

Add: I would be remiss if I don’t thank the footballing gods for letting me see both my countries flags at A FIFA World Cup tournament. For this and many other observations, I give thanks.

My dad represent T&T.
My family compete and win medals at the Olympics
My wife and kids compete and win medals representing both T&T and Canada.
Meeting and competing against the great Hasely.
Representing province in Football, Track and my schools in basketball.
Seeing some of the greatest local and foreign play the game I love.
My mom reaching a century.

Plenty more to be thankful for. Not letting 20 to nothing sour all of that.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2021, 10:33:01 PM by maxg »

Offline ZANDOLIE

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1300 on: February 04, 2021, 12:26:27 AM »
:-[

Plenty more to be thankful for. Not letting 20 to nothing sour all of that.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

Every battle is won before it’s ever fought. ― Sun Tzu.

We lost this game about 6 years ago.

Sacred cows make the best hamburger

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: February 04, 2021, 09:10:00 AM »
Why is fenwick keeping the players who are eligible for us a secret . liam moore of reading just got his jamaican passport and gray of watford is pursuing his all announced by the jamaican federation. I have a mind is some national league  players he calling up .....
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline Insider

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: February 04, 2021, 10:20:05 AM »
From my observation on Fenwick.

I think Terry can form a decent game plan. But it would be quite basic. He usually create teams from the back. Solid defence, hard to breakdown but not very imaginative going forward. Lots of 0-0 and 1-0 results.

I don’t think he can change tactics mid game. So if he goes 1-0 down, he probably will lose. His talent is in building a good team spirit. Players will fight for him and dig deep. He’s a good motivator. However, he rarely takes responsibility and usually blame players for poor results.

See how Liburd turned on Terry? He’s really developed a reputation of stabbing people in the back. You notice how lots of the main football people don’t talk to him? He’s shit on everyone over the years!

Terry will do well against most regional teams, but the better coached teams will expose his lack of tactical ability. Check Terry’s stats in Belgium. Lots of whippings over there because his lack of tactical adaptability was exposed!

Look how he did nothing on Sunday vs USA to stop the attacks down the wings! His successes have always come when he’s had money to spend. That’s because the players make him look good! When Clico left Jabloteh, Terry followed. He demands exorbitant salaries and will sacrifice players to earn what he wants.

As for Sean Bonval, he is ok. He could be a regular in the team but he won’t be a star.

Offline Cocorite

• Hero Warrior
  • John 5:24
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: February 04, 2021, 01:32:13 PM »

I think Terry can form a decent game plan. But it would be quite basic. He usually create teams from the back. Solid defence, hard to breakdown but not very imaginative going forward. Lots of 0-0 and 1-0 results.

I don’t think he can change tactics mid game. So if he goes 1-0 down, he probably will lose. His talent is in building a good team spirit. Players will fight for him and dig deep. He’s a good motivator. However, he rarely takes responsibility and usually blame players for poor results.

See how Liburd turned on Terry? He’s really developed a reputation of stabbing people in the back. You notice how lots of the main football people don’t talk to him? He’s shit on everyone over the years!

Terry will do well against most regional teams, but the better coached teams will expose his lack of tactical ability. Check Terry’s stats in Belgium. Lots of whippings over there because his lack of tactical adaptability was exposed!

Look how he did nothing on Sunday vs USA to stop the attacks down the wings! His successes have always come when he’s had money to spend. That’s because the players make him look good! When Clico left Jabloteh, Terry followed. He demands exorbitant salaries and will sacrifice players to earn what he wants.

As for Sean Bonval, he is ok. He could be a regular in the team but he won’t be a star.

This is CLEAR to see.
Socawarriors Need A Winning Mentality

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Just not good enough, Mr Fenwick
« Reply #1304 on: February 04, 2021, 01:41:53 PM »
Just not good enough, Mr Fenwick
By Angela Pidduck (T&T Express)

Even before the first goal in the second minute it was obvious that the Trinidad and Tobago footballers had not practised as a team, but had been pulled individually from their overseas teams, resulting in lack of cohesion.

Admitting that you may have made a mistake, Mr Fenwick, does not cut it. That’s not what someone coaching at international level is paid to do.

As the disastrous game continued I recalled that 60-plus years ago, we had witnessed many Intercol games between St Mary’s and QRC with performances where the players were a well knit unit and provided more exciting teamwork from the first minute.

No offence to last Sunday’s team as it was totally not their fault, but they looked like a “pick-up” side, obviously unaccustomed to playing as a team, while the Americans knew exactly where to find each other, the spaces and definitely the goal.

But that’s what coaches are there for and maybe Mr Fenwick should have concentrated, like a Gally Cummings or Bertille St Clair, on preparing a team which looked like a team. No excuses.

And now moving forward, please forget the suggestion of “we’ve got a lot of players all over the world that I would also like to see” for the serious stuff coming down the line as far as World Cup qualifiers go.

Leave the coming together and recognition of mistakes on and off the field for the football fields right here in Trinidad and Tobago, but do not to spend all that money to bring players from other parts of the world to the United States to tell us, “This is a learning curve.”

That is unacceptable, Mr Fenwick.
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

Offline kounty

• Hero Warrior
  • Truthfulness is brighter than the light of the sun
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: February 04, 2021, 04:21:40 PM »
Why is fenwick keeping the players who are eligible for us a secret .
I don't blame him for this. With them foreign born youths, I wouldn't count my chickens until they show up either.

I did however notice the same things Insider talk about -- in pre-match interviews Fenwick talking about USA Europe based players as if it was our poor little under 23 boys against something that not supposed to be equivalent; no change is strategy during the match, little no no tactical acumen. I get the same wool over the eyes vibes that I got from Dennis early on. I believe in giving people their fair chance but I noticing...and the underhanded contract scenario only shorten my fuse for him.

Offline Cruyff

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: February 05, 2021, 08:13:04 AM »
Under United TTFA an in-depth scouting network was created with the help of your very own Nigel Myers. I believe a database of over 500 players both male and female were created using Google spreadsheets of North American and European based professionals eligible to represent T&T.

The women U20s were the first to benefit from this network, having reached the quarterfinals of the Concacaft U20 Championships using a number of players located using this network. This was done just a couple months into its development and formation.

Terry Fenwick rejected the use of this scouting network because he said he had his own scouts and connections to locate players in North America and Europe. Listening to his interview after the USA demolition he stated that he selected some players using the YouTube footage of these players.  :rotfl:

Fenwick also rejected the now deceased, Style of Play Document because he did not have the intellectual fortitude to create so he wanted to have nothing to do with it. 

What an embarrassment to hear the Head Coach on the International level scout for players using YouTube footage and highlights. Who are your scouts Mr. Fenwick? Where is your scouting network of objective data? You have players such as, John Paul Rochford, former U15, U17 & U20 National Captain not selected to the traveling squad for the USA game but Gary Griffith son made the team? How and Why?

Terry Fenwick will be successful hopefully at the regional level as some of our Intercol Teams can probably compete at the regional level but we will NEVER qualify for a World Cup with Fenwick in charge. With the normalization committee filling his pockets with money he is there to stay, like the true slave master we can’t help but to surrender ourselves too.

What a SHAME!! Carry on folks, there is nothing to see here!!!

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1307 on: February 06, 2021, 02:41:15 PM »
Fenwick: ‘I apologise for taking the game and the gamble but we need to recognise where we are…’
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

“[…] I apologise for taking the game and the gamble but we need to recognise where we are and how the rest of the world are operating.

“[…] My locally-based national team have been battering local regional teams back home because we have been working and developing a game plan that suits our players against teams who are not playing football at all. We fell short on delivery of the game plan we set out to achieve…”

The following is a statement by Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior Team head coach Terry Fenwick, on his social media page, in the wake of the Soca Warriors’ 7-0 friendly international loss to the United States on 31 January 2021:

Extremely disappointing result and score line. I apologise for taking the game and the gamble but we need to recognise where we are and how the rest of the world are operating.

The USA development program over the last seven years is now bearing its fruits [with] quality players at Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Juventus, Dortmund and Chelsea amongst others, playing a style of football that suits the players; and in typical USA fashion everything is based on stats. USA Under-15, Under-17, and Under-20 teams [are] now furnishing the USA Senior Team. 

My locally-based national team have been battering local regional teams back home because we have been working and developing a game plan that suits our players against teams who are not playing football at all.

Many of our US-based players we met on Friday prior to the game. They come from a better and more professional environment/background than we have in T&T. We fell short on delivery of the game plan we set out to achieve. The occasion, the magnitude of the game, the required mindset (bad mind), we fell short [in those areas].

Positives from the evening for me: my changes after 50 minutes, [and the] local lads who came on with Neveal Hackshaw. I saw a different mentality, young players showing commitment and taking responsibility. 

Within their 40 minute experience, [Trinidad and Tobago had] one goal against, a penalty missed and several positive passages of play.

One step at a time…

Editor’s Note: Trinidad and Tobago’s 7-0 loss to the United States was the joint highest ever defeat by a Men’s National Senior Team in 113 years.

The 7-0 marker was set previously on 8 October 2000 when, having already qualified for the Concacaf Hex, then coach Ian Porterfield took a second string team to the Azteca Stadium in Mexico City.

RELATED NEWS

Fenwick: ‘We didn’t have the big attitude’, T&T coach says players botched game plan in USA mauling.

Soca Warriors head coach Terry Fenwick blamed the Trinidad and Tobago Football Association’s (TTFA) inadequate development programme in general and the poor concentration of his players in particular, as the Men’s National Senior Team slumped to a joint national record 7-0 loss last night in friendly action away to the United States in Orlando.

It was Fenwick’s opening game in charge since he was hired in December 2019, on US$20,000 (TT$135,000) per month, and the Warriors fell behind after just one minute and 43 seconds and never recovered. They trailed 4-0 at the half and conceded three more in the opening 17 minutes of the second half.

Fenwick, a former England World Cup defender, said the occasion was too much for his players.

“We went in the game with a game plan,” Fenwick told the TTFA Media. “I can only think that for some of the senior players, it was too much—the occasion. We didn’t have the big attitude, the big strength.

“[…] We were very poor in the opening stages and it set the tone for the game.”

Fenwick, who started national team training last July, introduced eight new overseas-based players to his squad in Orlando with five of those recruits playing from the start—including debutants Leland Archer in central defence, Federico Pena at right back, and 18-year-old Ajani Fortune in midfield.

He suggested that he was dissatisfied with their output.

“I took the gamble because they are playing in the USA, [they are] MLS and USL players,” said the Warriors coach. “I didn’t see that experience coming through. I thought we crumbled very early.

“[…] I had six players start the game that I had not seen before [in the flesh]. I expected more, I expected better. We just didn’t perform. It was like the occasion was too much.”

It was, arguably, an incomplete assessment of the thinking that went into Fenwick’s starting team.

The English coach started a portly Josiah Trimmingham in central defence and gave him the captain’s armband in only his second international appearance, while 18-year-old Ajani Fortune, an academy player at Atlanta United, has only played 11 senior games in his entire career—all in the US lower leagues.

And his sole Major League Soccer (MLS) player, full back Noah Powder, did not feature until the 82nd minute, while Neveal Hackshaw, an all-star player in the US second tier who can operate in midfield or defence, had to wait until the second half to get on the field.

Fenwick said his starting team failed to follow his tactical plan of playing the ball long and pressing the Americans high up the field.

“We recognised that the USA are very energetic […] and they press very quickly from the front,” said Fenwick. “So the game plan was to turn them around early doors, get them running back to their own goal—so we could be the ones pressing. Get [the ball] in behind [their defence], let’s pack in and close them down.

“And you recognised from the first goal; Leland Archer trying to place a ball into midfield, which they capitalised on, bang a goal within minutes.”

In truth though, Trinidad and Tobago never got any value from Fenwick’s high press, which the Americans easily played past to find oceans of space to stream into. Left back Sam Vines and winger Jonathan Lewis were particularly rampant down the left flank, while, on the other wing, Paul Arriola often snuck away from Jamal Jack in transition.

Fenwick started two rookies, Sean Bonval and Jabari Mitchell, in attacking wide positions and the team’s high press often left them isolated from their own full backs during the Warriors’ defensive transitions. The Trinidad and Tobago midfield failed to sufficiently slow the advance of their opponents too.

As for the long ball approach that Fenwick pointed to, by halftime the Warriors managed just 99 passes with an accuracy rate of 57 percent. The Americans had 328 passes by then with a 91 percent accuracy rate.

“We had a game plan how we wanted to start the first 15 minutes and senior players within the mechanism switched off,” said Fenwick. “We gave the ball away cheaply in areas we already discussed we wouldn’t do so, and that started us off all wrong. I thought that throughout the first half was very poor, our performance was terrible.

“In the second half when our younger players came on—our local guys who have been training for a while—they actually stuck to [the game plan] and we started to play a bit of football. I’ve got to take a bit of positive out of that.

“I liked some of what I saw but obviously there is a great deal of work to be done.”

Fenwick introduced Duane Muckette, Matthew Woo Ling, Michel Poon-Angeron and Hackshaw just before the hour mark while Justin Garcia replaced the injured Trimmingham.

“I think you’ve got to recognise the best bits of football we played, if there is an upside, it was in the second half,” said Fenwick. “I think Hackshaw came on and made a good difference […] and our local guys in the middle of the park started to play a bit of football, pressed forward, got the penalty which was squandered [by Alvin Jones].

“I saw that as a positive. It is up to me now to cherrypick the ones that are going to be of value and move on to the next stage.”

Muckette and Poon-Angeron, in particular, gave the Warriors more poise on the ball. But it is also worth noting that USA coach Gregg Berhalter withdrew Arriola and Jesús Ferreira in the 65th minute, and at least one of the pair was involved in each of their seven goals last night.

America’s last goal came in the 62nd minute. But the hosts continued to create chances throughout, although their incisiveness had gone.

Fenwick reminded local football fans of the gap between the two nations.

“The US have got guys at Barcelona, Chelsea all over the world,” he said. “[…] They are doing a wonderful job with their development programme. We haven’t got a development programme. There’s nothing.

“[…] By the time the players get to my national side, there is still a helluva lot of development to be done. We have got to try to correct that.”

Trinidad and Tobago’s developmental issues were not only an issue for Fenwick, of course, and it did not stop him from criticising the work and acumen of previous coaches—not least his immediate predecessor, Dennis Lawrence. (Former head coach Stephen Hart, for instance, took the Warriors to Buenos Aires to face a full strength Argentina team with Lionel Messi in 2014 and fared better.)

At his unveiling on 6 January 2020, Fenwick took a swipe at Lawrence who lost 6-0 to USA at the 2019 Concacaf Gold Cup.

“I think the past administration was playing a style of football that clearly doesn’t work and sticks out like a sore thumb, based on the results that we’ve seen,” said Fenwick. “I’ve got to change that… We are blessed with some fantastic footballers, but unless you put them footballers together in a system of play that suits them, you lose games and that’s what we’ve had.

“Some teams get beat by playing the wrong style of football. Play to what your strengths are and then that will pull you through…

“I’m good at putting pictures in the player’s minds, structuring a team so they know where to fall back if they are not playing as well. So they have a game plan—not just when we are defending but in terms of how we keep the ball and how we hurt the opposition.”

After 12 months on the job, there was no sign yet of progress. However, on the plus side, Fenwick won’t have to face the United States every day.

Trinidad and Tobago are expected to host Dominica and St Vincent and the Grenadines later this month in more friendly action. Then the Warriors start their Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign on 25 March, when they host Guyana.

By then, Fenwick would hope to have a couple new UK-born players alongside stalwarts like Kevin Molino, Levi Garcia, Joevin Jones, Sheldon Bateau and captain Khaleem Hyland, who were missed yesterday.

“[The World Cup qualifying campaign] was always our focus,” he said. “We have to move on from this… There were some positives from the younger guys coming through; we had some nice passages of play.

“We are playing against a top class team… A lot of the things that we were working on, they do very well… I just thought they gave us a lesson on what we were trying to work at ourselves.”

Coaches usually suffer chastening results towards the end of their stint, Fenwick got his on his first outing. Time will tell if there is comfort to be derived from starting off at rock bottom.

In any case, the Englishman won’t be going anywhere soon. A crucial tweak in the contract offered to him by the TTFA Board means that Fenwick has to win just two games—against Montserrat and either Cuba or French Guiana—to trigger a two year extension, which comes with a pay increase to US$25,000 (TT$169,000) per month.

(The TTFA technical committee, chaired by Keith Look Loy, challenged Fenwick to secure a Gold Cup quarterfinal place to get an extension, but the coach had then president William Wallace alter his terms so that merely qualifying for the Gold Cup is sufficient.)

The Fenwick era has started. It can only get better—surely.

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1308 on: February 06, 2021, 03:24:51 PM »
Dear Editor: Fenwick used the Soca Warriors like a bait dog—it is indefensible!
Wired868.com.

“[…] In boxing, there’s a term called a ‘bad beating’ in which the victims never quite recover to fight at an equal or better level. It is why some fights are not taken and why some corners throw in the towel.

“Where was the initiative to protect these players’ psyche from a ‘bad beating’ that could have been much worse? He has now established inferiority, and if it dwells in the squad it can ingrain defeatism…”

The following Letter to the Editor was submitted to Wired868 by Sherwyn Besson, who is an author, business teacher at New York City Department of Education, and a former Trinidad and Tobago national youth team player, with an advanced coaching certificate from the National Soccer Coaches Association of America:

The text read: ‘Bredda, yuh see that shit last night boy??? Geez. Thrillers (a small goal championship franchise from La Horquetta in the 80’s) would have played better. As an ex-national, that must have boiled your blood.’

And it did. I had already dissected the game 20 minutes in, and the brutal indictment called for ‘systemic change’, having followed the association’s turmoil the previous years. The Soca Warriors were a bait dog on Sunday night.

Bait dogs are good for mutilation practice by the game dog without the risk of harm to the latter. Bait dogs are not meant to recover, go to the hills and train, learn new Shaolin techniques, and then exact vicious revenge. They are irreparably maimed and killed.

And that is what we were in Orlando—a bait dog.

The professional coach that led us left much to be desired in his decision to take this fixture, and his post-match comments. He could not care less about our national psyche and identity, which is closely tied to sport.

His perfunctory excuse about proximity measurement required against the best in our region bears little value, because any coach with their fundamentals and technicals in place understands that progression is critical to developing and inspiring belief.

There was no gradual climb to challenging fixtures after crisis and turmoil in the association and a pandemic that has dented opportunities for preparation. No. The decision was indefensible.

Let’s take on the best in our region, who happen to be churning out world class talent like a 70s GM auto-plant. Instead of conceding that this was an error, our team leader doubled down, as though Trinidadians are not sophisticated about football at every level.

At its best, his response was condescending; and at worst, it was dismissive of our culture.

Our leadership sanctioned the coach to take a woefully ill-prepared squad to represent all that we are and have been, treating what we hold precious as a disposable commodity to strengthen the confidence and egos of the American machine, as though they need more psychological currency.

Developing a giant-killer mentality starts with small steps, including confidence-boosting wins and hardening the unit; and it ends with a confident, hungry, and well-prepared David ready to take on an over-confident Goliath.

In boxing, there’s a term called a ‘bad beating’ in which the victims never quite recover to fight at an equal or better level. It is why some fights are not taken and why some corners throw in the towel.

Where was the initiative to protect these players’ psyche from a ‘bad beating’ that could have been much worse? He has now established inferiority, and if it dwells in the squad it can ingrain defeatism.

Maybe here is where I insert prospective replacements, but I will not be their HR Department. I would like to see the job posting for national coach. Screening should exclude egregious assault during a game, and disrespect for our history and sensibilities.

Trinidad is replete with talented leaders in the field—at home and worldwide. I do know that we need to stop the desecration, and hire people who understand what we represent. Why do we allow these people to wield this kind of power over what we value precious, yet fragile—our pride? This is by far the worst national embarrassment by score and optic I have witnessed.

Clearly, it is not just about regime change. Maybe we the people need to hone our inner game dog against bait dog leadership.

RELATED NEWS

Fenwick: ‘This is the starting position… we weren’t far away [from USA] with our local-based players’

Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior Team head coach Terry Fenwick today continued to reframe the narrative around his international coaching debut—a joint national record 7-0 loss to the United States in Orlando on Sunday—as he suggested some positives to local football fans, in an interview with the TTFA Media.

The Soca Warriors conceded their first goal after one minute and 43 seconds and trailed 4-0 at the interval and 6-0 by the hour mark. However, Fenwick pointed out that he sent on most of his local-based players, Duane Muckette, Matthew Woo Ling and Michel Poon-Angeron, between the 56th and the 58th minutes.

And Trinidad and Tobago conceded just one more goal after that point.

Incidentally, United States coach Gregg Berhalter subbed forward Jesús Ferreira and winger Paul Arriola in the 65th minute, and the pair contributed a combined four goals and four assists on the night. The hosts did not score again, once they left the field.

Still, Fenwick suggested that the last 30 minutes of Sunday’s international friendly, rather than the first 60, offered the best appraisal of his coaching skills—since more of the boys he coached in Trinidad were on the field.

The best measure of his work, in short, was given when the game was already lost and by the players he initially overlooked, for the North America-based call-ups.

“On the positive side, I saw a lot of the guys we put on in the second half that have been with me in Trinidad,” he told the TTFA Media, “they played 40 minutes, conceded one goal and created a penalty situation where we missed. [They] looked much more comfortable on the ball.

“That is just time; that’s the time I’ve spent with them on the training ground. Many of the guys from the US and elsewhere in the world, I am looking at them on video, on Wyscout, on YouTube and many of the social and other platforms, because that is all I’ve got available to me.

“It is not easy… But it showed me in the second half we weren’t far away with the local based players, who I thought done a lot of credit for themselves.”

At the final whistle, Trinidad and Tobago managed a solitary shot on target—Alvin Jones’ saved penalty—and earned one corner kick, while their pass accuracy was 65 percent with 226 completed passes (after just 99 in the first half).

The United States had 12 shots on target and 586 completed passes at an accuracy rate of 90 percent.

Fenwick also gave some insight into his scouting regime as he credited Matthew Wilson for sourcing players in North America and assistant coach/goalkeeping coach Kelvin Jack for a similar job in the United Kingdom.

Full back Federico Pena and unused substitute Jonathan Jimenez were both brand new to the Trinidad and Tobago set-up, although the other North-America based debutants—Leland Archer, Ajani Fortune and Noah Powder—already wore the red, white and black at national youth level.

There was no suggestion that the former England 1986 World Cup defender utilised the Talent Identification and Player Pool (TIPP) programme introduced in North America last year by then TTFA technical committee chairman Keith Look Loy, which was headed by Justin Reid and Sean Powder and comprised of over 15 scouts, including Errol McFarlane, Leslie ‘Tiger’ Fitzpatrick, Ivan Sampson, Wendell Regis, Kernell Borneo, Kenrick Ramirez, and Nigel Myers.

The Englishman reiterated his previous sentiments that a shortage of time with the five North America-based players who started the match was a big contributor to the lopsided scoreline.

“They came 48 hours before the game—that was the first time I was meeting them,” he said. “So we had a game plan on the ground in Trinidad with the locally based players. And it was a big gamble for me to throw them in that first game after only two or three training sessions…”

At the same time, Fenwick defended his decision to put the overseas-based players in his first team. And, even though he appeared to apologise for his Sunday selection on Monday, he said—on Tuesday—that he actually made the right call, despite the outcome.

“In my very first session, it was about the players bonding; and after I went to individual attacker against defender, so I can see what they can do—sometimes within the team mechanism you can miss a lot of things on individuals,” said the Warriors head coach, who stressed that the new additions were all ‘nice guys’. “And they all looked very good. Some of the US fellahs looked a little better than the guys we had on the ground in Trinidad—and they should be, they’re playing a better [level] of football.

“[…] And I thought I might have made a mistake about playing these guys too early; but I needed to see them, I needed to see what they had about them. And the same guys on reflection are recognising that we didn’t stick to the game plan that we agreed before the game.”

Ultimately then, Fenwick said it was player errors which proved to be the undoing of the Trinidad and Tobago team, and not tactics—as suggested by Club Sando FC and former national youth team coach Angus Eve.

“When you concede two goals in the first four or five minutes, confidence crashes, game plan goes out the window and they were literally on their own,” he said, “and I was trying to prop them up on the side of the field to get them to pull together. It was difficult.

“In the game that we play today, international football, you make one mistake you get punished for it.”

Once more, he credited the strength of his opponent.

“You recognise the USA team, [their players] come through under-15, under-17, under-20 [teams] before they go into the national [senior] side,” said Fenwick. “Everything is documented, everything is video recorded, and they very much run things forward on stats.”

Ten of the 17 players used by Berhalter on Sunday had national youth team experience. However, 11 from Fenwick’s 17 players had also played international football at youth level—as did four of Trinidad and Tobago’s unused substitutes.

Wired868 could not question Fenwick directly about the point he was trying to make, while he has so far not responded to messages.

“I wish [Fifa-appointed normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad] could have come to see the resources that we have got here in the States,” Fenwick told the TTFA press officer, “and not only the resources, the mindset of the Americans helping us out at every level. They have got expertise all over the place.

“[…] That’s the level we have got to be reaching out for.”

Fenwick warned that he has another crop of first-time players who he hopes to assimilate by the time Trinidad and Tobago open their World Cup qualifying campaign against Guyana on 25 March.

“Pulling them together before the 25th of March will be difficult, some of these players I again will be seeing them for two or three or four sessions before we actually go into games,” he said. “So it is a very difficult situation and one that will only be cured over time and [with] development.”

Fenwick thanked the Ministry of National Security for helping the team with a training venue, refreshments, passports and visa, as well as the Ministry of Health and Prime Minister Dr Keith Rowley for allowing them to restart their programme during the Covid-19 pandemic.

And he insisted that the Warriors will emerge better for their chastening experience in Orlando.

“It was a big ask, the United States of America […] and now that I have had a chance to review and look at the game and speak to the players, we are all very disappointed about the result—of course we are—but this is the starting position, this is a learning curve,” said Fenwick. “We have to pull ourselves together as quickly as we can… So as that’s unfolded, it is about coming together, it is about recognising the mistakes we have made on and off the field and pulling it together for the [World Cup and Gold Cup qualifiers].”

The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: February 06, 2021, 04:27:59 PM »

“On the positive side, I saw a lot of the guys we put on in the second half that have been with me in Trinidad,” he told the TTFA Media, “they played 40 minutes, conceded one goal and created a penalty situation where we missed. [They] looked much more comfortable on the ball.

“That is just time; that’s the time I’ve spent with them on the training ground. Many of the guys from the US and elsewhere in the world, I am looking at them on video, on Wyscout, on YouTube and many of the social and other platforms, because that is all I’ve got available to me.

“It is not easy… But it showed me in the second half we weren’t far away with the local based players, who I thought done a lot of credit for themselves.”

One setta mamaguy talk.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: February 06, 2021, 05:20:07 PM »

One setta mamaguy talk.

Mamaguy is a tactic.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: February 06, 2021, 07:51:32 PM »

Mamaguy is a tactic that seldom works for long
Fixed it

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: February 07, 2021, 01:50:39 AM »

Fixed it

From what I've gathered, it is a national pastime ... so :-\. Seems to work just fine in politics. Lots of evidence that football has not been immune.

Offline sjahrain

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: February 07, 2021, 08:12:40 AM »
Terry your stubbornness...will be your demise...

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: February 07, 2021, 06:00:17 PM »

One setta mamaguy talk.

Mamaguy is a tactic.

Is just as bad as talking about about dem big victories against fete match teams. People probably thought we had one setta fire power. Now he trying to equate bringing on the trained locals with only conceding one goal. Steups! I in town too long. Come better dan dat.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: February 07, 2021, 08:49:50 PM »

Fixed it

From what I've gathered, it is a national pastime ... so :-\. Seems to work just fine in politics. Lots of evidence that football has not been immune.
Yep. And when the mark buss, then is all kinda big news .... for a week, till the next mamaguy mark buss.. 2 mthss later, everybody forget the previous mamaguax (pl) , as so much bachanal pass.. and we in ah maxi of a different colour... we even forget about the horse or donkey we rode in on. Can’t maintain no positive level of consistency.

Always some tata to be reported and nuff reasons given to us why it smelling so. Not really realizing is we own leg the thing running down.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: February 07, 2021, 09:17:35 PM »

Are you saying he's another S Hart a 1 trick pony playing the same 4 3 3 system every game.

Offline ffisback

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: February 07, 2021, 09:33:27 PM »
This is what happens when you are run by a bunch of jokers the 2018 WC was thrown under the bus when Look Loy fired Z Vanes you thought that was the end of him but he was aloud to come back and Look Loy has now thrown the 2022 WC under the bus to by hiring T Fenwick not only is TT run by jokers we are also coached by jokers to.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: February 07, 2021, 10:02:58 PM »
Are you saying he's another S Hart a 1 trick pony playing the same 4 3 3 system every game.

Hart was no one trick pony. The team played well, not super, under his tenure. But yes, he was unable to get them to elevate their play when we played in the knock out rounds of regional tournaments like GC. But he had the team moving in the right direction. The best since Beenhakker. Again DJW never wanted him.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2021, 10:05:17 PM by Deeks »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1319 on: February 13, 2021, 05:24:16 PM »
Upset Fenwick wants football in a 'bubble'
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

'Unfair' if how national coach Terry Fenwick feels his team is being treated by government officials ahead of the country's opening World Cup qualifying against Guyana on March 25 at the Hasely Crawford Stadium in Mucurapo.

The Soca Warriors face the possibility of the match not coming off because of precaution being taken by government officials toward the spread of the deadly coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic.

Both the government, through the Ministry of Health and its Chief Medical Officer (CMO) Dr Roshan Parasram, and the FIFA-appointed Normalisation Committee, which is being led by businessman Robert Hadad, have been locked in talks on whether the Guyanese team will be allowed to enter local shores for the match.

The NC is proposing a football bubble which is similar to what was done with the Caribbean Premier League (CPL) here in Trinidad and Tobago from August 18- September 10 at the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba, but it is unsure of what's the government's position, as the national team has had to wait not knowing what will happen.

On Friday, a frustrated Fenwick told Guardian Media Sports that: "We've got to be realistic, what's good for the goose is good for the gander. We've got the CPL which is a money-generating operation, nothing was said about it, they got on with it, players were happy. Why can't the national football team do the same? I'm not asking for anything bigger or better, no more expense, why can't we do the same thing?"

On July 8, 2020, Sports Minister Shamfa Cudjoe told the media at a news conference at the Office of the Prime Minister in Scarborough, Tobago that a contingent of over 251 people, including the players, staff and other officials attached to the six CPL teams—the Barbados Tridents, Guyana Amazon Warriors, Jamaica Tallawahs, St Kitts & Nevis Patriots, St Lucia Zouks and the Trinbago Knight Riders—will come into T&T for the series and will be quarantined at the Hilton Trinidad in Port-of-Spain and must adhere to strict COVID protocols

She continued: “They would be doing their quarantine period there and they would be tested before leaving home (countries) to ensure they are negative, tested when they get here to Trinidad and Tobago and going to quarantine, tested on their seventh day and tested again on their fourteenth day. This is the first time we are hosting this type of sporting activity under COVID regulations and this COVID situation."

She also said that the Government had reached an agreement with the CPL where they will host the tournament to the tune of US$1 million, broken down into US$500 in cash and US$500 in kind.

The country's borders have been closed since the deadly outbreak of the coronavirus in March last year, and since then the government has used a cautious approach in returning nationals who were caught abroad.

Yesterday Dr Parasram did not respond to a Whatsapp message that asked for an update on the matter, neither did he say whether a tri-nation bubble tournament among the national teams of T&T, St Vincent and the Grenadines and St Lucia will go on as planned later this month (February), due to the mandatory 14-day quarantine period for people entering the country.

According to Fenwick: "We're in the dark ourselves and we are waiting on normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad to find out what we can actually do. We've had CPL played in a bubble, placed in big hotels, travel to the Brian Lara Stadium, and because it was an income-generating competition, they've allowed it to happen, but they are now frustrating our national team in a World Cup qualifying game that should be at the Hasely Crawford Stadium. As well as the CPL, there are multiple businessmen/expatriates to arrive here in T&T and spend one day in quarantine. They spend one week wherever they're coming from, but when they arrive in T&T they do one day. So I am frustrated because I don't want to give anything away, that is a plus."

The English-born coach, whose team was hammered 7-0 by the United States in an international friendly encounter on January 31 in Orlando Florida, USA, lamented the horrible past four years that local football has had to endure, saying it had to face countless court matters with the world-governing body for the sport- FIFA, as well as other private citizens, to the administrations' inability to get structured football going.

He said he intends to reach to the powers that be to help them: "We're reaching out to the powers that be, the ministers and indeed the Prime Minister who loves his football. We cannot ignore these opportunities that came by. This first game is all-important and we have an opportunity to play it in Port-of-Spain, and we're ignoring that, we're not taking it on. We've got the CMO, the Health Ministry stopping this. We've been in quarantine for 14 days. We were in the United States for a week and we were tested every single day. since we've been back, we've had three tests and daily monitors to make sure we are okay."

Since returning from the USA on February 3, the local players and technical staff have been in isolation quarantine for seven days and are now under home quarantine for a further seven days until Tuesday.

RELATED NEWS

Decision pending on reduced quarantine for footballers.
By Jonathan Ramnanansingh (T&T Newsday).

A decision has not yet been made on whether foreign-based national footballers would be allowed a reduced quarantine period, upon arrival in T&T, for the March 25 FIFA World Cup qualifier against Guyana.

This comes after FIFA has allowed clubs to prevent their players from traveling for national duty where quarantine is required for five days or more. Persons entering T&T must spend between seven to 14 days quarantine before they are allowed to re-enter the public domain.

This means that several of T&T’s talented foreign-based players are not mandated to be released by their respective clubs for the Concacaf World Cup qualifiers. Therefore, if the seven to 14-day quarantine guidelines remain enforced, T&T may have to field a totally home-grown squad for the March 25 clash.

With the FIFA rule, special arrangements will have to be made for the T&T players trying to return home to represent the national team.

Minister of Health Terrence Deyalsingh and Minister of Sport Shamfa Cudjoe, on Saturday, confirmed discussions were still under way between the TT Football Association (TTFA) normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad and Sport Company of TT chairman Douglas Camacho.

Both ministers, however, believe the final decision lies in the hands of chief medical officer Dr Roshan Parasram.

“I think the ultimate decision is being made by the CMO and the Ministry of Health because first and foremost our priority is to keep, not just the players, but our nationals, safe,” said the sports minister.

Cudjoe noted they are exploring several options to facilitate these foreign-based athletes and are even considering playing the match in a regional territory.

“Up to yesterday (Friday) that conversation was still taking place. I know there was the option of having the players play in Curaçao but up to last night, while I was in Parliament, the conversation was still taking place as to protocols and exploring the different options,” she added.

Meanwhile the health minister has been in communication with the associated parties and awaits their final decision to chart a way forward. He also passed the buck to the CMO and local football fraternity.

“The CMO has been in contact with the normalisation committee of the TTFA and I have been in contact with the Minister of Sport. I leave the final decision to the Minister of Sport and the TTFA,” he said on Saturday.

Newsday reached out to Hadad for a response on these developments via WhatsApp. Hadad’s response was merely “Working on it”.

On Thursday, Deyalsingh reiterated that he did not want more cases of the new covid19 variant entering T&T and expressed concern about people entering the country and not quarantining properly and possibly bringing in the new variants.

Additionally, national senior team coach Terry Fenwick is hoping he can get the go-ahead to fast-track their quarantine so T&T would have a better chance of coming up trumps against the South American team.

In their last international friendly, on January 31, - T&T’s first official match in over a year owing to the pandemic – Fenwick’s unit was drubbed 7-0 by Concacaf giants USA.

The availability to more foreign-based players for the upcoming World Cup qualifiers and Gold Cup, in June, plays an integral in Fenwick’s setup going forward.

T&T will play Puerto Rico on March 28 in the second match of the World Cup qualifying campaign.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2021, 02:29:03 AM by Flex »

1]; } ?>