March 28, 2024, 03:49:32 AM

Author Topic: Terry Fenwick Thread.  (Read 225987 times)

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Terry Fenwick Thread.
« Reply #1350 on: March 18, 2021, 02:42:50 PM »
In related news a lot of the British papers have carried the story - stating he headbutted Fuentes.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: March 18, 2021, 03:21:22 PM »
In related news a lot of the British papers have carried the story - stating he headbutted Fuentes.
these british tabloids are the worst, always on about inconsequential rubbish while ignoring pressing relevant issues. So glad I left that marginalizing country. it’s all about the monarch worshipping right wing bigots and the toilet mouths young Brit brat delinquents. that country makes absolutely no sense to me.

a pot pie and a pint society.  :puking:

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1352 on: March 19, 2021, 05:11:33 PM »
Hadad: Fenwick can't screen media, we're an open book.
By Jelani Beckles (T&T Newsday).

CHAIRMAN of the FIFA-appointed normalisation committee Robert Hadad said he will not allow national men’s senior football coach Terry Fenwick to pick and choose who he wants at media conferences.

On Wednesday, at the Ato Boldon Stadium in Couva, there was an altercation between Fenwick and press officer Shaun Fuentes.

The quarrel allegedly began because Fenwick was upset that Wired868 editor Lasana Liburd was present at the media briefing.

Liburd claimed he was not invited to a media conference on Thursday at the VIP Lounge, Piarco Airport, to mark the departure of the national team for the 2022 FIFA World Cup qualifiers against Guyana and Puerto Rico. T&T will play Guyana on Thursday in Dominican Republic, followed by Puerto Rico in Puerto Rico on March 28.

Asked if Liburd was not invited to the media conference on Thursday, Hadad told Newsday, “That is not true. The Airport Authority gave us the Diplomatic Lounge and we were not at liberty to invite any and everybody. It is a small space.”

The media houses present at Piarco were Newsday, TTT and CCNTV6.

Hadad also said, “It was not a formal media conference. We will have a formal media conference on the (team’s) return, and it won’t be in the airport. We will arrange a space and allow you all to ask questions.”

Hadad added, “The day before, he (Liburd) was invited to the pitch (to do interviews), so I don’t understand the sensitivity.”

Wired868 reported that Fenwick headbutted Fuentes in the altercation. Hadad said his report did not confirm that.

“Shaun Fuentes' report does not have a headbutt in it…nobody got hit…the man who (allegedly) get headbutt say he did not get headbutt.”

On Wednesday, the TT Football Association issued a media release saying the incident between Fenwick and Fuentes had been blown out of proportion. The release said the incident "has been addressed at a meeting involving the two individuals, team manager Adrian Romain and the normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad."

The TTFA said apologies were exchanged and Fenwick and Fuentes have agreed to put the incident behind them.

"Both Fenwick and Fuentes proceeded to conduct themselves in a professional manner and subsequently hosted the media briefing (on Wednesday) before the media present at the venue."

Hadad said he spoke to Fenwick on the issue.

“I told him straight up, I am not allowing anybody to leave out anybody. We are an open book. I have been an open book from day one. I have not run from anybody. I am willing to work with the media, and I expect the media to work with Trinidad’s football. I get it that for years the football in itself has been in a down place and everybody looking for news that is always bad news.

"There are a lot of good things happening now.”

Hadad reiterated, “I am not going to allow our national coach to dictate to anybody and I told him that. When we have media conferences, everybody will be invited.”

Liburd, in a WhatsApp message to Newsday, said, “I was a bit surprised to realise that the TT Football Association had a press conference yesterday (Thursday) and I was not invited. That surprise stems only from my relationship with the association and not the individuals involved, though.”

Liburd said he knew his stories over the last 25 years may have ruffled some feathers, but he was always invited to media conferences.

“You see, I’ve covered local football since the mid-1990s and there have been more than a few occasions where my stories might have displeased persons who run this national sport body. And yet, Jack Warner, the late Oliver Camps, the late Raymond Tim Kee, David John-Williams – not one of them tried to deny me access to the business of national football at press conferences.”

Watch Fenwick upbeat after Day 1 in Dominican Republic

Watch Day 1 in Santo Domingo

« Last Edit: March 19, 2021, 05:35:09 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1353 on: March 21, 2021, 01:23:02 AM »
Terry Fenwick: We're tightening up.
By Walter Alibey (T&T Guardian).

National coach Terry Fenwick has been lifted by the appearance of a few overseas-based professionals including midfielder Daniel Phillips who plays for Championship club Watford, defender Robert Primus who plays in India, and goalkeeping coach Kelvin Jack on Friday.

Fenwick, who faced, among many challenges, an inability to secure much-needed international friendly matches for his team as well as the chance to get all his players back for the World Cup Qualifiers due to either the COVID-19 pandemic or injuries, is expected to be joined also by defensive midfielder Khaleem Hyland and Sheldon Bateau this week.

"We're tightening up," Fenwick told T&T Football Association (TTFA) media officer Shaun Fuentes.

The team has since settled in the Dominican Republic, since leaving T&T on Thursday. They have had two training sessions, which have pleased the English-born coach.

"It has gone very well, it is great to get the overseas-based players in, the camaraderie has been fantastic, the pool of players that we've got is very positive, very vibrant. These guys are bringing their vast experience. Kelvin Jack, a great goalkeeper for T&T and a great coach, and young players like Daniel, what a strong player he is, I think he is going to be such a benefit for T&T.

"I think they've recognised we've got to win this game for T&T, we're going out there, we can't sit on the fence we've got to go and do our stuff, so we're going to need that experience at this stage but we've also brought Duane Muckette and players like that, that have also done very well," Fenwick said. 

Phillips is thrilled to be part of the team saying: "It's been a long time coming and I'm just very happy to be here. Everyone welcomed me here really nicely. I'm just happy to get to work.

"My ambition is to go as far as possible so playing in the World Cup with Trinidad, playing on the biggest stage in club competition and international competitions as well.

According to Phillips, his father was born and raised in T&T and his mother born in England but raised in T&T from a very young age and his grandparents are also from T&T.

Phillips, who has been to T&T before but not since 2011, shared on his season with Watford, following his first practice session with the national team on Friday at the Pan American Stadium.

"It's been going so well, this is my breakthrough season of such. I was lucky enough to play in the FA Cup against Manchester United, one of the biggest teams in the world. I've played in the Championship, I've shared the pitch with some legends.

"Every step is another milestone for me, a little push to keep going," he said, adding: I'm hoping to bring a level of quality and push everyone else and they will push me as well.

"Based off the first session, I was really impressed. Everyone gets on really well, it's a team spirit and when it was time to train it was really high intensity right from the start to the finish and thought that was very impressive.

"I can't say I know as much about the level of Guyana or Puerto Rico but with every game, I go with the intention to win and I think that is what we should go in expecting to win and expecting to get results.

A TT Football Association media release said, "The match, which was arranged to be played at the club’s home base, was abandoned on the advice of T&T team doctor Akash Dhanai, after a thorough assessment of the covid19 tests undergone by the Pantoja players was determined to fall short of the TT Football Associations and FIFA’s medical standards. In this regard, the decision was taken to cancel the match to ensure that the safety of T&T players and staff would not have been compromised ahead of next Thursday’s Concacaf World Cup qualifier against Guyana.

The T&T team will open against Guyana on Thursday (March 25), needing to win to have a greater chance of topping Group F which also features the Bahamas, Puerto Rico and St Kitts and Nevis. The winner of this group will march on to play the winner of Group A, which comprises the likes of El Salvador, Antigua and Barbuda, Grenada, Montserrat, and the US Virgin Islands. 

Fenwick said while he was not impressed with the playing venue, the fact that most of the T&T players grew up on community grounds which are similar to the facility in the Dominican Republic and will work in our favour.

Meanwhile, defender Primus said he is excited to be back, and he is ready to get to work.

Watch Daniel Phillips keen to start international career with T&T

« Last Edit: March 21, 2021, 01:26:41 AM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #1354 on: March 23, 2021, 07:41:28 PM »
Shabazz: Fenwick good club coach.
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express).

HAVING himself been at the helm of national teams with inadequate resources, Jamaal Shabazz believes former England defender Terry Fenwick must shield his footballers from things taking place in the background.

“The national coach must also be a manager and not a complainer,” Shabazz declared when speaking on the latest edition of the Ascension football show with host Joel Villafana.

Shabazz, who has coached national teams of T&T, Guyana and St Lucia, along with T&T’s women’s teams, thinks some of the negative issues surrounding the Trinidad and Tobago men’s national football team is due to Fenwick’s attitude and inexperience at international football.

Shabazz also condemned the Englishman’s objection to a particular journalist being at a national team’s press conference. He said it also exposes Fenwick’s lack of international experience.

“A journalist could ask him (anything). How he responds is totally in his jurisdiction. I don’t believe in censuring who could come the press conference and who can’t come the press conference. Rubbish! Could he have done that in England?”

Shabazz has been through issues similar to which Fenwick faces with the national team, including managing inadequate resources. “He’s got to be more solution oriented. ‘Okay, this was not in place. What do I do next?’ If I as the national coach go complaining, then who solves it?” queried Shabazz. “The national coach must be the driving force behind the solution. After the game (it’s) okay (to complain).”

Having been on the island for 21 years, Fenwick has won club titles at Caribbean level with San Juan Jabloteh and Central FC, but has yet to gain a point at CONCACAF level with these teams.

Shabazz suggests that Fenwick might be bowing under the pressure to prove himself. “He has brought something to club football in T&T. That, I respect,” Shabazz conceded. “He brought a level of intensity when he came with Jabloteh and he won the (Pro) League. But he has shown a propensity to be able to only coach teams that have money...that could get the best players.”

“I respect him as a (club) coach. He is very intense, he is very competitive, and he knows what he wants to do. But he has not coached international football and it is as new to him as anything else,” Shabazz opined.

“Playing at international level and coaching at international level is two different (things),” Shabazz added. “As a competitor and as a warrior, I give Terry Fenwick full credit. But he is very inexperienced, as we are seeing now, as a national coach.”

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: March 23, 2021, 09:33:41 PM »
Shabazz: Fenwick good club coach.
By Ian Prescott (T&T Express).

HAVING himself been at the helm of national teams with inadequate resources, Jamaal Shabazz believes former England defender Terry Fenwick must shield his footballers from things taking place in the background.

“The national coach must also be a manager and not a complainer,” Shabazz declared when speaking on the latest edition of the Ascension football show with host Joel Villafana.

Shabazz, who has coached national teams of T&T, Guyana and St Lucia, along with T&T’s women’s teams, thinks some of the negative issues surrounding the Trinidad and Tobago men’s national football team is due to Fenwick’s attitude and inexperience at international football.

Shabazz also condemned the Englishman’s objection to a particular journalist being at a national team’s press conference. He said it also exposes Fenwick’s lack of international experience.

“A journalist could ask him (anything). How he responds is totally in his jurisdiction. I don’t believe in censuring who could come the press conference and who can’t come the press conference. Rubbish! Could he have done that in England?”

Shabazz has been through issues similar to which Fenwick faces with the national team, including managing inadequate resources. “He’s got to be more solution oriented. ‘Okay, this was not in place. What do I do next?’ If I as the national coach go complaining, then who solves it?” queried Shabazz. “The national coach must be the driving force behind the solution. After the game (it’s) okay (to complain).”

Having been on the island for 21 years, Fenwick has won club titles at Caribbean level with San Juan Jabloteh and Central FC, but has yet to gain a point at CONCACAF level with these teams.

Shabazz suggests that Fenwick might be bowing under the pressure to prove himself. “He has brought something to club football in T&T. That, I respect,” Shabazz conceded. “He brought a level of intensity when he came with Jabloteh and he won the (Pro) League. But he has shown a propensity to be able to only coach teams that have money...that could get the best players.”

“I respect him as a (club) coach. He is very intense, he is very competitive, and he knows what he wants to do. But he has not coached international football and it is as new to him as anything else,” Shabazz opined.

“Playing at international level and coaching at international level is two different (things),” Shabazz added. “As a competitor and as a warrior, I give Terry Fenwick full credit. But he is very inexperienced, as we are seeing now, as a national coach.”

Mental game - coming from another coach at this clos time to competition-  once a destabilizer still one- once  it's In the blood to  destabilize and create  havoc- still dey since 1990- focus o your own team and stop betraying TnT
Simply put  shut de Fck up Shabs

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: March 23, 2021, 11:32:14 PM »
But why ? Only the arm chair coaches have opinion ? Only Fenwick and he smartman agent have right to speak, and say who can come and go ? But yuh will tell your own who has served to hush , because he made a 1 wrong step. BsC and Shabazz do they community service more than any 'to be paid' coach we ever had, and any landed immigrant coach. They could advise as they please, take it or leave it. Sometimes I leave it, but still listen. No way, I was standing -far less, keep coming back - for TTFF, TTFA  nor normalization committee bs. Many did, and so we throw dem under the bus. Ah mean AB, disagree with him(dem), but let dem talk.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: March 23, 2021, 11:36:45 PM »
But why ? Only the arm chair coaches have opinion ? Only Fenwick and he smartman agent have right to speak, and say who can come and go ? But yuh will tell your own who has served to hush , because he made a 1 wrong step. BsC and Shabazz do they community service more than any 'to be paid' coach we ever had, and any landed immigrant coach. They could advise as they please, take it or leave it. Sometimes I leave it, but still listen. No way, I was standing -far less, keep coming back - for TTFF, TTFA  nor normalization committee bs. Many did, and so we throw dem under the bus. Ah mean AB, disagree with him(dem), but let dem talk.

Yep. I think we are well past 1990 in the context of a man's opinion about football. Plus, it is not like Fenwick didn't have strongly asserted opinions when Shabazz and others were in the hot seat.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2021, 12:32:10 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: March 24, 2021, 03:21:35 AM »
'Not sure the claim of "only succeeding with money" is true - I remember him blooding a bunch of youth in his time.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: March 24, 2021, 03:11:31 PM »

You may be past 1990- but the legacy of that act has laid the foundation for the preponsity of criminality  in today's society- too bad those mutinous treacherous tyrannous actions were not dealt with in a more severe manner- I.e firing squad.

Yep. I think we are well past 1990 in the context of a man's opinion about football. Plus, it is not like Fenwick didn't have strongly asserted opinions when Shabazz and others were in the hot seat.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: March 24, 2021, 04:23:27 PM »
One day, we will analyze and discuss what led up to the events of 1990. Including why many TT ppl were disenfranchised with the situation of the ‘80’s. Mostly why such events should be avoided and by extension the real reasons behind today’s criminal elements.
I would only say, as this is a football forum, thank god, Mandela didn’t go before a firing squad, just because they could do it. Otherwise Africa may not have gotten a World Cup. Not all ppl of any sect or group are hopelessly bad, not all good either. Some youths might mean well but don’t realize what they getting into. Not an excuse for anybody (not even Shabazz), but the young can be easily led astray, why there are young gangstas all over the world. Many start off with good intentions, until the shit hit the fan, then everyone smell bad. We have to save the ones we can.

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: March 25, 2021, 06:28:44 AM »
One day, we will analyze and discuss what led up to the events of 1990. Including why many TT ppl were disenfranchised with the situation of the ‘80’s. Mostly why such events should be avoided and by extension the real reasons behind today’s criminal elements.
I would only say, as this is a football forum, thank god, Mandela didn’t go before a firing squad, just because they could do it. Otherwise Africa may not have gotten a World Cup. Not all ppl of any sect or group are hopelessly bad, not all good either. Some youths might mean well but don’t realize what they getting into. Not an excuse for anybody (not even Shabazz), but the young can be easily led astray, why there are young gangstas all over the world. Many start off with good intentions, until the shit hit the fan, then everyone smell bad. We have t
o save the ones we can.

With all due respect - the cause and the system which gave rise to Mandela's actions is paramount and could inno way equate to those who led or were part of an act of treason against the government.
Where innocent lives were lost as collateral damage? You had army leaders whose sworn oath to defend and protect a nation not act in ways to disrupt - armed insurrectionist against unarmed citizens - some of whose lives were lost.
Yet  some of these same insurrectionist were then given land and build fortified compounds under the guise of a religion to establish cells fro which to create the seeds of gangs as we know it today.  The aftermath and messaging of that event in Trinidad showed that anyone could get away with the highest form of treason and be rewarded.
 The situation in SA and Mandela was not even close- the causes of oppression were of different magnitude. So while there is always a root cause or motive for actions - a story which may have been told - a messaging used to incite action- look at how Trumped incited the masses- Hitler's  propaganda another- in my opinion our judicial laws were too lienent in dispensing justice-

Today is the same judicial laws which again permitting criminals to walk freely - when corruption among high ranking officials could remain unpunished because the law is being used to bufffer a verdict then we are in essence allowing  lawlessness-
in TnT we all have " back stories" - why has there been no conclusive soluntion to the insidious ambush and killing of Dana Seetahal? We have speculation- what was the big reason?  What ever happened to a former sports minister under the previous government- he fled the country at one time? What ever happened to a former attoney  General?

You have someone today again who was in some way part of these events leading teams and talking bs about coaching yet himself achieved short term minimal success without sustainable results- in many ways he is part of what I am seeing as " mercenary coaches" plying their trade to countries who do not have the local expertise or who cannot afford the big names- so opportunities are afforded and these so called coaches parlay their skills to the highest bidder yet for all their knowledge and expertise they are unable to create success in their homeland but now want to spew venom on the present situation.
Nah in my personal opinion this joker will never be a credible source to speak about coaching. He should consider himself fortunate that he was given an opportunity at a second life - to run a club- and don't forget all the football equipment and balls that were taken after the JW years and turnover in the TTFA.
Validibity credability moral character are components / traits you look for in a coach and if the foundation is compromise so shall the structure.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: March 25, 2021, 11:00:12 AM »
AB, I wrote a short response..phone ring, by the time I come back, freeze up and lost it. We will discuss this another time. As I said, don't want to hijack the thread. Later. I would say, I understand your feelings, but '90 was only a more extreme and vicious repeat of '70. Subsequently, if the corrective measures are not taken, it may happen again. I agree with to much criminal rights today. However, pre-70, crime was always on the rise, and during '80s it grew worse, drugs, major influx of guns and no change to socio-economic climate of the 70s. They blaming them, them blaming they, and no consequential and necessary adjustment and fix hapeening, as everybody expect in 5 years to cleanup the damage of 70 + years of a failed society. The village not raising the child as itself has become fragmented. Way past Brother killing Brother, as the new order, causing Brother to kill Father, Mother, Wife and Sister and Friend too.

We need a few beers and a couple weeks to discuss and debate, hopefully we can, sooner than later. Won't change nothing, but at least we can come to understand each other view, and at least get a lil buzz. Shabazz was 20 something, he was no leader, he was just a follower, in a time when heroes was Che/Fidel/Malcolm and yes, Nelson and Steven were examples of struggle. Ignorance and folly of youth in an already spoiled society. As I said at least he has done a major amount of community, national and regional service, even if in itself it has not made as major dent as we would like. I don't think he would operate the same way today as he did then. I changed, so there is hope for anybody.  :devil:
 Back to thefootball and  crooked shenanigans of the TF footballing era. They remove a Team for 1 man making contracts, but keep the leading beef presented of that contract during the worse financial times. Wonder if they kept his agent's contract as well. Years and Years of crap and still we swim, so I not mourning TT and it's ppl just yet.

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Fenwick: ‘We’re in transition from the oldest squad in world football
« Reply #1363 on: March 29, 2021, 01:13:57 PM »
Fenwick: ‘We’re in transition from the oldest squad in world football’; Wired868 fact-checks coach.
By Lasana Liburd (Wired868).

“The way I am looking at this, it’s a point away from home against a very good side,” said Trinidad and Tobago Men’s National Senior Team head coach Terry Fenwick, when a Puerto Rican reporter asked how he felt about a draw in Mayaguez yesterday evening—a result that meant the Soca Warriors slipped two points behind group leaders St Kitts and Nevis.

Puerto Rico, incidentally, are ranked 179th in the world—75 places behind Trinidad and Tobago—and 25th from Concacaf’s 35 member nations. They have never defeated Trinidad and Tobago and their biggest achievement as a football nation was qualifying for the group stage of the 1993 Caribbean Cup.

More to the point, Puerto Rico hired their head coach for the Qatar 2022 World Cup qualifying campaign, wily veteran Dave Sarachan, four weeks before their first game, and were still holding screening sessions in the middle of March.

It would generally be considered inadequate preparation for even the Secondary Schools Football League (SSFL).

“We always knew this would be a difficult game here in Puerto Rico, and Dave Saragosa (sic) did a terrific job with his young team,” he said. “Very well organised, well structured… Several top players playing very well together, stretching us on numerous occasions…”

Puerto Rico left back Raúl Gonzáles III is employed with United States second division team, Memphis 901, while 17-year-old midfielder Wilfredo Rivera just signed for MLS team Orlando City but has only played in the US third tier to date.

The remainder of the Puerto Rico team compete in the US third tier, in semi-professional leagues in places like Gibraltar or Bolivia; or, like captain Sidney Rivera and goalkeeper Cody Laurendi, are unemployed.

Fenwick tried to identify Puerto Rico’s most eye-catching talent but couldn’t quite manage it.

“I am trying to think of the young man’s name, seven,” he said. “[He had] very good movement coming in off the line, behind the big striker…”

Perhaps it was a fitting tribute to the spritely Wilfredo, since he had given Trinidad and Tobago’s defenders the slip whole evening.

Another reporter asked Fenwick how he felt about trailing St Kitts and Nevis at the midway point, with only one team able to advance from the group. (The ‘Sugar Boyz’ are ranked 140th in the world and 14th in Concacaf, while T&T are 103rd and 11th respectively.)

“Recognise we are in a transition in Trinidad and Tobago,” he said. “We’ve had the oldest squad in world football and we’re slowly but surely bringing young guys in, better quality players. And between now and the next window, we are hoping to have more better quality players joining us from the UK and the US.”

Fenwick has repeatedly criticised his predecessor, Dennis Lawrence, for having ‘the oldest squad in world football’ without any pushback. And the facts?

In Lawrence’s last game in charge, a 4-0 loss to Honduras on 17 November, the players who ended the match were: Marvin Phillip (35), Aikim Andrews (23), Aubrey David (29), Sheldon Bateau (28), Daneil Cyrus (29), Aaron Lester (26), Kevon Goddard (23), Jomoul Francois (24), Ataulla Guerra (32), Ryan Telfer (25), Marcus Joseph (28).

The average age of Lawrence’s team was 27.45.

Yesterday evening, the players who ended the game for Trinidad and Tobago were: Nicklas Frenderup (28), Neveal Hackshaw (25), Sheldon Bateau (30), Aubrey David (30), Robert Primus (30), Michel Poon-Angeron (19), Andre Boucaud (36), Duane Muckette (25), Levi Garcia (23), Willis Plaza (33), Jabari Mitchell (23).

The average age of Fenwick’s team was 27.54.

Does that mean Fenwick has replaced Lawrence as coach of ‘the oldest squad in world football’? Does the Englishman wilfully misrepresent data to suit his own agenda? Or does he just operate based on ‘vaps’ and guesswork?

“Thanks to the normalisation committee, we’ve got Wyscout,” Fenwick told the TTFA Media, after T&T’s 3-0 win over Guyana on Thursday. “So we will be watching [Puerto Rico] tomorrow and will prepare for them properly.”

Did Fenwick use the snazzy scouting technology to give the Trinidad and Tobago players any video analysis of their Puerto Rico opponents before kick off? Did any technical staff member watch Puerto Rico play against St Kitts and Nevis in Santo Domingo on 4 March? Was there even a review of the comprehensive yet scrappy 3-0 win over Guyana?

Word from the camp suggest otherwise and the media lacks necessary access to the technical staff to enquire about the preparation work and philosophy behind the football team.

Mind you, Fenwick is actually more media friendly than normalisation committee chairman Robert Hadad—head-butt or not—so he is unlikely to face any internal pressure to subject himself to questioning.

After two weeks in charge, Sarachan had Puerto Rico players zipping the ball around the park and implementing neat triangles everywhere. The Spanish-speaking islanders lacked quality but not structure.

In contrast, after nine months’ training, Fenwick’s team still looked disjointed, stretched and unsure about how and where to start play or regain possession.

On Sunday evening, one of the two teams in Mayaguez had six players competing in the top tier of the United States, Belgium, Greece, Norway, Costa Rica and Canada domestic leagues. But if you were a casual observer looking on, would you have been able to guess which one?

“I thought it was a game where once we got a lead we would go from strength to strength,” said Fenwick. “To be fair to Puerto Rico, I thought they dug in deep, played very well and in the end a draw was a fair result.

“[…] We’ve got our next game at home which is a very big game against St Kitts in Port of Spain, Trinidad, so that’s what we will be focusing on.”

A draw was a fair result. And Fenwick wasn’t stretching the truth either when he said Trinidad and Tobago had the opportunity to extend their lead too.

The Englishman was probably correct too when he suggested that a few more imports could assure Trinidad and Tobago of qualification for the next round. But has he done enough with what he inherited?

Fenwick’s appointment was supposed to mean a more competitive team, complemented by young, local talent and armed with a clear philosophy. He has not delivered; not yet anyway.

Still, Trinidad and Tobago are alive in the competition and capable of getting to the next phase; and that is something.

Whether Fenwick has done enough to retain the nation’s unswerving trust when it comes to the business of advancing Trinidad and Tobago’s football team—not Fifa’s!—is another matter entirely. Trust is earned, after all; and only con-men are afraid of questions.

If you’re a football stakeholder, now would be the time to evaluate the progress of your driver. It is best to know as early as possible whether the bright light up ahead is actually an oncoming bus!

« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 08:59:55 PM by Flex »
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick: ‘We’re in transition from the oldest squad in world football
« Reply #1364 on: March 29, 2021, 07:22:48 PM »
Trinidadians watch too much bloody tv, and everything they see on tv they want it to come true in little trinidad. Andre baptiste has a show on tv6 called the twelfth man, I was taken a back with this show because it was all about foreign football and not one mention of a local team on his show, it was so bizarre.

in trinidad there are people who actually support top European teams never having been to Europe or knowing anything of the culture of the people they support, which is fine after all its not the end of the world, but when they watch the national team they unconsciously want to see the same brand of football as a barca, chelsea or a bayern munich which automatically translates into disappoint.

don’t misunderstand me but it’s high time we spend our money on our lads and develop a top league so we don’t have to scan the globe looking for second generation trinis to fill the gap. I believe we have the human resources to develop the best players right here in trinbago, but we have to get deadly serious and stop playing games.

we can’t rely on the government coffers alone and cooperate TT must get on board if we are to be successful. we must also partner with foreign sponsors and top footballing nations like Italy and germany who have some of the best programs in the world and our lads could learn so much.

sometimes I get so frustrated with us only wanting to go to a world cup and people getting all twisted out of shape when we don’t. we should be putting all that energy into developing a first class league and building football schools all over the nation to have a steady flow of local talent. rid ourselves of these local coaches and invest in foreign trained coaching staff for the league.

build community grounds so the fans won’t have far to travel for games like they do in jamaica. create an environment of professionalism so the people could get familiar with the teams and want to support them. forget World Cup for now and concentrate on winning a gold cup or a CCL league cup, in other words baby steps. it’s like no one is thinking on that island, where are these people minds?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2021, 07:48:17 PM by pull stones »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fenwick: ‘We’re in transition from the oldest squad in world football
« Reply #1365 on: March 29, 2021, 10:23:37 PM »
rid ourselves of these local coaches and invest in foreign trained coaching staff for the league.

Your article is really good, but I really don't agree on your take about local coaches. Yes, they not as good as you want them to be. I agree that they need to get better. I agree with the partnership with the Euros, etc. But I eh see the exclusion of the local coaches happening.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: March 30, 2021, 12:29:54 PM »
From what I've seen....Fenwick brings a lot of perspiration but little organization or structure.

He wants intensity, deep pressing, hustle, from his teams.   These are good things.

He doesn't seem however to be able to have any sort of organization or structure in any third of the field.   He eschews the technical in favour of effort and graft.

In other words....what you would expect of a stereotypical English coach.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1367 on: March 31, 2021, 01:49:18 AM »
From what I've seen....Fenwick brings a lot of perspiration but little organization or structure.

He wants intensity, deep pressing, hustle, from his teams.   These are good things.

He doesn't seem however to be able to have any sort of organization or structure in any third of the field.   He eschews the technical in favour of effort and graft.

You really brother, buying cat in bag ... :D

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
He’s not a WC caliber coach, or hes either being controlled by the normalization committee with ulterior motives hidden in there..

Because his selection and tactics and subs make no sense... Given his experience and some say success with younger teams locally, it really doesn’t add up in terms of what we are seeing on the pitch.

He’s definitely not at the level or intelligence of SH.. Hes a lot of talk as we expected but very little action.

The question is, how long will he last and when will we see that we need a coach that can actually give us a shot at Qatar...

I say we give him 2 or max 3 games into the final round when we meet Mexico and US etc if we make it that far with his coaching style, in fact we haven’t really identified that yet but I can’t see him sparring with the best in our region. 

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Here we go again with you and your man crush. it’s the same ole recycled bullshit from a mad man and his mad man rants, nothing new here. Steven hart is the ultimate coach even pep and mancini have to bows at his feet. He’s won the gold cup, concacaf champions league, the Caribbean cup and has been to a World Cup. what a coach we have in steven. Please.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:11:36 AM by pull stones »

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pull Stones be kind to your Friend- It is Holy Week , the man carry his Cross , by Sunday he may experience a Resurrection.

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Pull Stones be kind to your Friend- It is Holy Week , the man carry his Cross , by Sunday he may experience a Resurrection.
I had to listen to this mad bloke for three years mate, and I don’t think I could survive another attack of his dementia. at this stage I’ve ran out of kindness towards this loon.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 06:15:14 AM by pull stones »

Offline ABTrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
There is already a TF thread- why is this a seperate thread?

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
Here we go again with you and your man crush. it’s the same ole recycled bullshit from a mad man and his mad man rants, nothing new here. Steven hart is the ultimate coach even pep and mancini have to bows at his feet. He’s won the gold cup, concacaf champions league, the Caribbean cup and has been to a World Cup. what a coach we have in steven. Please.

You really have an issue with my opinion  :D it’s like you lose sleep at night because of what I say..

The only mad man on this board is yourself for believing in The Dictator from the beginning. You were eating crow by the end of it..

You pretend to know football but never really comment on the things that matter  :D

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy

The only resurrection happening is the BS this board does talk after they eat crow  :D pride and no shame... plenty of men on here believed in DJW and now they are afraid to comment on how shit this man is coaching so far...

Individuals won the game and drew it recently, not a team...

Offline Thomo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: March 31, 2021, 03:26:50 PM »

He doesn't seem however to be able to have any sort of organisation or structure in any third of the field.   He eschews the technical in favour of effort and graft.

I agree somewhat, he's a self proclaimed admirer of Terry Venables.
Plus all Bertille St. Clair's team played like that. The structure to them was secondary to man management, pace, power, pressing and supreme fitness. If you listen to the Burdie and Barney podcast when asked about his preferred formation he Bertille couldn't say. He said something akin to Get it, Give it and something else is his philosophy.
Marcelo Bielsa  uses a similar idea everywhere he goes and now at Leeds. He loves a 4-3-3 formation with a high, relentless press.
Look at what Terry did when he came to TnT, he shook up the whole league with that style.
If Terry gets the players with that level of fitness he can impress i think but I believe it's a tough one with the national team at the minute.
Fingers crossed

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1376 on: March 31, 2021, 11:53:33 PM »

He doesn't seem however to be able to have any sort of organisation or structure in any third of the field.   He eschews the technical in favour of effort and graft.

Plus all Bertille St. Clair's team played like that. The structure to them was secondary to man management, pace, power, pressing and supreme fitness. If you listen to the Burdie and Barney podcast when asked about his preferred formation he Bertille couldn't say. He said something akin to Get it, Give it and something else is his philosophy.
Marcelo Bielsa  uses a similar idea everywhere he goes and now at Leeds. He loves a 4-3-3 formation with a high, relentless press.
Look at what Terry did when he came to TnT, he shook up the whole league with that style.
If Terry gets the players with that level of fitness he can impress i think but I believe it's a tough one with the national team at the minute.
Fingers crossed

Yeah but does that style of football fit our players and will it produce results for us?

Last time I checked, Leeds placed out of the top 10 ...

Offline pull stones

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1377 on: April 01, 2021, 03:06:24 AM »

Fingers crossed

Yeah but does that style of football fit our players and will it produce results for us?

what style do we have in TT oh looney one? I’m really tired of hearing “our style of football” which is what exactly, run dow the flank and try to beat The Whole defense while losing possession in the process? or is it get the ball in the box and kick as hard as you can when the opportunity presents its self?

I watch a lot of these local players and IMO they are quite predictable. In the game of football you have to out play your opponents in every which way, it also includes rapid ball movement in the final third. it’s not always about shooting at goal the first chance you get, sometimes you have to look for the open man and getting a few touches in discombobulating the defense and the keeper which opens up gaps for better scoring opportunities.

I guess what I meant to say is that our players for the most part are one dimensional, and they need to be a little more cheeky and a little less obvious. I hope I didn’t lose you.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2021, 03:15:28 AM by pull stones »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #1378 on: April 01, 2021, 06:02:00 AM »

Fingers crossed

what style do we have in TT oh looney one? I’m really tired of hearing “our style of football” which is what exactly, run dow the flank and try to beat The Whole defense while losing possession in the process? or is it get the ball in the box and kick as hard as you can when the opportunity presents its self?

I watch a lot of these local players and IMO they are quite predictable. In the game of football you have to out play your opponents in every which way, it also includes rapid ball movement in the final third. it’s not always about shooting at goal the first chance you get, sometimes you have to look for the open man and getting a few touches in discombobulating the defense and the keeper which opens up gaps for better scoring opportunities.

I guess what I meant to say is that our players for the most part are one dimensional, and they need to be a little more cheeky and a little less obvious. I hope I didn’t lose you.

That is a very good point you make. But there is a catch here. TT has had many "cheeky" players in my times and they( the system) have stifled the shit out of them. Conform to a style of play that makes it  conducive to play in the metropole(US, Eng, Euro).

Offline Controversial

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • Gino McKoy
« Reply #1379 on: April 01, 2021, 02:41:05 PM »

Fingers crossed

I know you’re lacking attention at home but why you always on my posts chatting a bunch of garbage that make no sense... Tallman also commented and many others about the lack of any organization in our football but your ass is quiet with those posts?

Another reason why TT struggles is bc they have hypocrites like yourself that are two faced and narcissistic that are running our country and football and trying to silence the truth seekers...

Get a life brother and go study football tactics and strategy you might actually have a constructive conversation to come back with..

I have little patience for people with low intelligence like yourself.. it’s  just wasting my time typing to you  :D

1]; } ?>