March 28, 2024, 01:18:07 PM

Author Topic: What's up with the Metatarsal Bug?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
What's up with the Metatarsal Bug?
« on: April 29, 2006, 07:30:00 PM »
Allyuh eh find dat ah set ah English players repeatedly break their metatarsal bones in their feet? Rooney, Owen, Ledley King last WC it was Beckham, not sure what to make of it but I don't hear much about dese types of injuries with other national teams especially with major tournaments right round d corner. Maybe a forumite with a medical background could enlighten us. Wah allyuh tink  ???
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
Re: What's up with the Metatarsal Bug?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2006, 07:46:20 PM »
Was reading bout this a lil while ago. Couple of things:

1) The fatigue theory
From Soccerblog.com

What are the metatarsals?

The metatarsals are the five bones in the foot structurally analogous to the metacarpals in the hand. The metatarsals as a unit in the forefoot provide a broad plantar (on the sole) surface for load sharing. They are mobile in the sagittal plane (up and down) and individually the metatarsal heads can alter position to cope with uneven ground.
Stress fractures of the metatarsals are common in footballers and occur mostly in the second and third metatarsal necks and at the proximal portion of the shaft of the fifth metatarsal. Pain, deformity, crepitus, swelling, bruising and increased pain on weight bearing are the cardinal signs and symptoms.

Stress fractures are thought to be caused by overloading of the metatarsals through repeated weight bearing as seen in football. They lead to microfractures of the metatarsals. Another theory is that excessive muscular fatigue of the foot musculature lead the metatarsals to being vulnerable to fractures, especially the second metatarsal. The dreaded carpal tunnel syndrome that has led many to wring their hands in distress, is also attributed to the repetitive motion of keyboarding.

So far the dreaded metatarsal virus this season has claimed Michael Owen, Ashley Cole, Steven Gerrard, Wayne Rooney, and most recently Ledley King.

We, at Soccerblog did a check on the football injuries of all the Premiership League teams. Of the 70 currently injured players, five had metatarsal fractures. Significantly, Michael Owen and Ledley King, who are England squad sureshots are sidelined by these injuries.

12 had knee injuries (mostly ACL sprains or tears), 11 ankle sprains, 7 hamstrings, 6 groins, 4 ankle fractures, and 15 assorted injuries including Sol Campbell's broken nose. There was also a sports hernia and a case of glandular fever. So metatarsal fractures accounted for about 7% of the total injuries. In a study examining military recruits, about 7.6% of lower extremity (leg) injuries were metatarsal in nature (Milgrom, et al., 1985).

The reason attributed to metatarsal fractures as compared to the other injuries that are more traumatic in nature, is the long Premiership season. It is quite remarkable that the more successful clubs had more metatarsal injured players on the roster as they played more matches. David Beckham, Gary Neville, and Danny Murphy all sustained injuries at the latter part of the season lending credence to the theory of cumulative overloading of the metatarsal bones and fatigued foot musculature.

Sven Goran Ericksson and Arsene Wenger have rightly called for a winter break during footie season.

2) The Bladed-Boots Theory

From Footy-boots.com
Bladed Football Boots

The reason that bladed football boots have come under attack, is due to the regularity of this type of injury of late, which coincides with the introduction of the bladed football boot. Bladed football boots have also been banned by some clubs, Manchester United being one of them.

So back to the blade. There are two main reasons that a bladed football boot can be held responsible for the injury:

1. The thin blades on the soles can penetrate through a football boot. Due to it’s blade like feature, if on impact it hits the metatarsal this breaks the bone.

2. Due to the rigidity of the boot with the blade deep in the ground, bladed football boots do not have ‘give’ in them when turning. When twisting, the metatarsal can be put under extreme pressure when the football boot is fixed and ultimately can break.

-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2006, 07:49:18 PM »
i would like to blame them new boots..they getting too fancy lately
Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 05:46:31 AM »
rooney doh wear blades...king doh wear blades..neither does owen!!

but on the other hand gerrard, cole & becham all wear blades.

so that is not a fair argument to make that is the boots fault.

but many other players wear blades & they doh get injured. what about all the other adidas sponsored polayers? i doh see dem having problems

Offline ANC2

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 07:00:43 AM »

but many other players wear blades & they doh get injured. what about all the other adidas sponsored polayers? i doh see dem having problems

Maybe the material too thin (unlike leather) and don't protect the foot as well.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 07:34:22 AM »

Rooney was wearing a brand new prototyp specially developed, lightweight, modular superfragilistic NIKE boot yeaterday.

I don't know bout blade and no blade, for me a boots is black with white trim and the only question is whether the pegs is screw in or permanent. All these new fangled boot designs is just a way for them companies to suck people money and for players to flams on the field.

It would not surprise me if the boots contribute to the injuries, but the style of players is a factor too. Beckham's injury was during a tackle and his "rollover" style of kicking defnitely played a part.

Rooney is all action and both in the Euro and yesterday it looked like his foot couldn't handle the pressure when he get stopped at the pace he was travelling. Can't comment on the others.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline rastafari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 07:50:22 AM »

Scarface de boots does stick in de ground when turning, i could tell yuh about dat.
This leads to pressure on de knee and joints in this motion.

Blades are rectangular or square like in design, unlike the circular design of pegs.
Now try this experiment with both boots.
Try spinning or turning on a football pitch and yuh would see de difference.

I got a knee injury from dem boots, although it may not happen to every player, loads more have been injured due to these boots.
I feel they are more dry ground boots than wet ground boots.

Mark Bright did a consumer watch programme on these boots. It was based on professional footballers who got injuries  while wearing these boots. There is some evidence  pointing towards injuries occuring while wearing these boots. The main one however is that they can cut and scar another player very bad.

JAH BLESS RASTAFARI
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 07:55:03 AM by rastafari »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 08:27:18 AM »
Is dem new boots oui!! Go on nike site and watch de design of dem boots. lookin bad and streamline but......dey does grip awkward.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2006, 08:38:16 AM »
sin
 Yuh forget the  so called" Vooddoo Theory" or as in we case the  theory of 'obeah"

Offline lickslikefire

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2006, 08:43:26 AM »

I thought it mattered more if de person tackling dem wearing blades.....we don't care if they were wearing blades during the injury....maybe i'm wrong here...

also if a big club like Man U ban these boots....they must have valid reasons.......why don't other clubs follow suit? does anyone know.....

Offline dervaig

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2006, 08:51:05 AM »
Lack of dasheen and dumplin, that's what up with it.

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2006, 09:39:39 AM »
Lack of dasheen and dumplin, that's what up with it.

:rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Feliziano

• Hero Warrior
  • www.TheWarriorNation.com
    • View Profile
    • The Warrior Nation
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2006, 07:23:11 PM »
Nike bruised as new boots backfire

Simon Burnton
Monday May 1, 2006
The Guardian

Last Tuesday at Old Trafford Wayne Rooney unveiled a new boot, the Nike Air Zoom Total 90 Supremacy. He tried it out in training at the end of last week and felt no adverse effects. But four days after it was first shown to the world, and the very first time it was worn in a competitive fixture, Nike's new boot was involved in injuries to two England players.
In the first half at Stamford Bridge on Saturday Rooney accidentally raked his studs against John Terry's leg, causing a cut that required 10 stitches. And in the second half Rooney broke his fourth metatarsal after a seemingly innocuous challenge involving Paulo Ferreira. Both Terry and Rooney left Stamford Bridge on crutches, though the damage sustained by the Chelsea captain was superficial.
Rooney has, in the words of Nike, "played an extensive role" in the development of his new footwear. It features studs on the sole, blades having been banned from Old Trafford by Sir Alex Ferguson, who blamed them for Roy Keane's broken metatarsal after a tackle from Liverpool's Peter Crouch last September. "I'm not saying the injury would have been avoided had their player been wearing studs, but with blades the potential for damage is there," said the Manchester United manager. And although there seemed minimal contact on Saturday, Ferreira - who himself broke a metatarsal last season - was wearing blades.
Modern lightweight boots have been blamed by some experts for the spate of metatarsal injuries, which used to be relatively rare. "They are not offering the protection they once did," said Exeter University's Sharon Dixon, an expert on the biomechanical aspects of sports injuries. Adidas tweaked the design of its Predator boot in 2004 to provide better cushioning at the front of the foot and give the metatarsals more protection.

Several internationals have signed up to wear the new Nike design at the World Cup. Most worryingly for England, Rio Ferdinand is one of them. Others include Roberto Carlos, Claude Makelele, Alberto Gilardino and José Antonio Reyes.

Nike, unavailable for comment yesterday, boasts of "a supremely designed outsole which combines precision, traction and comfort". Other features include "boot-to-ball accuracy derived from a new side-lacing system that provides a cleaner strike". The boot manufacturer adds that "this is all integrated into a lightweight boot that enhances precise powerful shooting, dribbling and passing".

At the launch last Tuesday, Rooney looked ahead to wearing the boots for the first time. "Hopefully I can mark the occasion with a goal but, knowing me, I will probably score with a header."

Nike's PR machine limbered up, ready to capitalise on the United forward's anticipated success. Rooney has provided enormous publicity, just not the kind Nike would have chosen.

Metatarsal mayhem

Wayne Rooney Fifth metatarsal - June 2004 Predicted return 8 weeks returned 14 weeks later

David Beckham Second metatarsal- April 2002 Predicted 6 weeks returned 7 weeks later

Gary Neville Fifth metatarsal - April 2002 Predicted 6-8 weeks returned 21 weeks later

Ashley Cole Fifth metatarsal - Oct 2005 Predicted 6-8 weeks returned 12 weeks later

Scott Parker Second metatarsal - Dec 2004 Predicted 8 weeks returned 34 weeks later

Michael Owen Fifth metatarsal - Jan 2006 Predicted 6-8 weeks returned 17 weeks later

Danny Murphy Second metatarsal - May 2002 Predicted 6 weeks returned 21 weeks later

Steven Gerrard Fifth metatarsal - Sep 22 2004 Predicted 6-8 weeks returned 10 weeks later

Feliz
Warrior Nation Secretary & Membership Officer
http://www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2006, 08:40:22 PM »
Go on nike site and when the page with joga bonito load.......click on products. Yuh go see a tiempo that they based on a cobra....look well bad......buh look like breakfoot mountain.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

1]; } ?>