March 28, 2024, 11:41:48 AM

Author Topic: Do all Trinis who live in England,Canada or U.S. Support the warriors?  (Read 11173 times)

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I chose these three countries for obvious reasons because outside of trinidad combined they make up a population close to the one back home,now I was recently invited to a party at a friends  home here in miami which was mainly trinis and it so happens the topic was the world cup,well to my surprise myself and maybe 3 other guys was supporting the warriors and this encounter had at least 20 trinis involved,the rest was backing the u.s. or england.

There reasons followed:Here's comments from one guy: I ent living in trinidad no more and when I was there well yuh no I had no other choice but to back them,so I always wanted to live in the U.S. and now that I here is team u.s.a. all the way.

Well you guys might be wondering if I challenged this guy on his point,no I kept silent all through the bashing.

A second person happened to be a young woman:I doh no why allyuh dus waste time with anything trinidad pushing yuh no dem get there by luck and it stops in the first round,so why bother.

Look I could go on and on for hours,but it's reality that we do have people who hate for there own reasons,and it's pervasive especially in our culture,listen you could back whatever team you like it's your right,but take a page from the country you so longed to live in the united states they have people who talk about italy,france,germany,brazil,all tough sides but as one american says whether I was living in germany I'm backing my united states.

I posted this because I was saddened and troubled,This is definitely a reflection of our ongoing struggle as a nation to separate politics from patriotism.                 

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
sellouts! why some trinis so?

i haven't been to miami since dec. but i remember back in 98 when jamaica qualified, all them yardie in miami was proudly flying jamaican falg from their cars - 1st & 2nd generation. i feel like some people is jump off the boat, quickly acquire a freshwater accent, and then think they american...but only in front of the rest of we.

you shoulda ask them how things going with they papers.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 08:59:54 AM by Andre »

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Sounds like yuh limin with some refugees boy
And dey eh want to talk too hard in case somebody in de room is homeland security  ;)

I could see how that would get irritating........ whey yuh go do

I meet trinis with horrible suicide blond dye jobs and green contact lenses.....sometimes yuh hadda shake yuh head and move on oui
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
saga you is a real sorf man for true.  you shoulda rest a proper cuss on them

Offline JERSEY TRINI

• trotty
  • Hero Warrior
  • without god life just doesn't make sense
    • View Profile
Dat ain't no suprise to me at all.  Jus dis weekend I was at a little get together and run into a Trini and the man is 27years and leave TNT in 90 and he legal and everyting eh, but ain't been back home since then although his all family that over here does go every year he say and the man didn't even know that We qualify fuh world cup.  I had to ask him why he even tell me he is a Trini.   ???

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
saga you is a real sorf man for true.  you shoulda rest a proper cuss on them

:rotfl: ah woulda love to see you in action dey boy Arrow.

But Saga there will always be that element among the ppl...yuh cyar study dem, dey go "come back home" sooner or later. 8)
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
I've lived in the US for over 30 years now, I love it there, I'm not moving back, but I still back Germany before the USA. Though that may only be because Germany is better than the US :devil: If the US had been the historically better team I may have switched my loyalties over by now. That said I'm also backing T&T over the US as well.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I've lived in the US for over 30 years now, I love it there, I'm not moving back, but I still back Germany before the USA. Though that may only be because Germany is better than the US :devil: If the US had been the historically better team I may have switched my loyalties over by now. That said I'm also backing T&T over the US as well.

e-man what's your Trini affiliation(sp) is it that your wife is Trini or other family members?

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
I followed our team all my life home and here in the US and as long as i am here in MD the Warriors will always be #1, US soccer will have my respect but no love (bad mind from 89).

Yeah I have met a few trinis here that have either no clue or think we there by fluke, sad to say some of my relatives who have been here since the 70's are not up to date or even care, ah well I have to represent for all, "with boundless faith in our destiny"

GO WARRIORS GO!!

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if Germany is better than the US.  But i will back TnT over both of them reguardless.
Snake in de balliser

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History

e-man what's your Trini affiliation(sp) is it that your wife is Trini or other family members?

Yes it's by marriage.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
saga you is a real sorf man for true.  you shoulda rest a proper cuff on them

Fixed ^
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Andre

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
somebody hook e-man up with a trini green card.

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
Why hurt yuh head over something yuh have no control over.

Put the person in a certain drawer in yuh mental file cabinet.

Look and appreciate them for something else other than being Trini or backing a football side....and then move on.

Study you!

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

I'm not sure if Germany is better than the US.  But i will back TnT over both of them reguardless.

??? ??? are you serious??

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile

??? ??? are you serious??

absolutely ... like e-man there is a war in my house as my spouse is german ... and its a major battle to see what t-shirt my 2 yr old will be wearing at the WC.  but i am stickin to my guns.  i'm not neccessarily saying that we can down right beat them ... but why play or support if you don't believe.
Snake in de balliser

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Sorry to say folks but that is human nature !!!!!!!!!!

Yuh doh have to go abroad to take a poll to see who trinis supporting....Yuh could be home in Trinidad and a lot of people backin ah next team !!!

Aside from the real supporters or more rightly called "Warrior-philes".....plenty people still dont know we qualify for Germany, and if they do know they have NO CONCEPT of the scale of this achievement.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Saga, I want to believe that such people whom you encountered are in the minority.  Unfortunately folks who are the most conspicuous and boisterous on issues such as this (football), politics, economics oftentimes tend to be those that are least informed. (Empty vessels nah).

All I can say is, when you encounter folks such as those, if you see that they may have an open mind and you know to yourself that you are more informed than them on various issues, try to impart some knowledge.

Warriors all the way.....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
T&T HOPES TO SCORE BIG WITH WORLD CUP SHOT
BY DOMINIC BASCOMBE

Twin islands hope football glory will give tourism a much needed fillip and even curb gun crime problem
Never before has so much rested on a game of football.

On November 16, the Trinidad and Tobago footballers beat Bahrain1-0 to snatch a spot in the 2006 World Cup tournament in Germany.

The ‘Soca Warriors’ will be representing the smallest country at this year’s World Cup and are carrying the dreams of the 1.5 million strong population along with them.

But this, it seems, is no ordinary game of football as the qualification for the World Cup tournament, and indeed the route to getting there, has been ascribed with the power to change almost every area of life in the tiny twin island republic.

A massive boost to the country’s renowned Carnival and the tourism sector is widely expected as well as positive contributions in terms of international energy investments. But even plans to tackle rising crime in the island have been promised as a result of the team qualification.

TOURISM
When it comes to idyllic tourist destinations, Trinidad is not traditionally top of the list for many international visitors.

Smaller island Tobago, with its tranquil beaches, enjoys the benefit of tourism while bigger Trinidad relies more on oil and gas to drive its economy.

Controversial broadcaster Darcus Howe believes that the economic potential for the energy industry will be boosted by the country’s World Cup appearance.

“Trinidad is an oil emirate!” he boasted. They are floating on oil and natural gas – what else do they want? This will just add to their grand place in the world.”

However, he doesn’t believe the tourism sector will benefit greatly.

“I don’t think it will have any impact on tourism. Tobago has already almost been saturated with hotels. Trinidad has its carnivals, but there is nowhere to go in Trinidad of much significance. Barbados is the place to go for tourism."

But Forde thinks differently: “The government has been putting a lot of emphasis on tourism and has made an increase in terms of funding and marketing of the tourism industry. We have already had an increase in tourism from the European sector, so now we have a chance to brand the country globally. We expect there will be an increase in hotel accommodation, increase in people selling goods, and developing more in Tobago. It will have a phenomenal influence on the tourism sector.”

Forde believes that the position of soca music could also be improved.

Trinidadian soca has traditionally struggled to achieve the same level of recognition as reggae in neighbouring Jamaica.

While the country is hoping to boost its tourist sector, concerns remain about the impact of local crime on the islands’ image internationally.

There were over 300 murders in Trinidad last year.

A recent crime plan has used the buzz surrounding the team’s success to encourage local criminals to participate in a national gun amnesty.

The Football Gun Amnesty Plan aims to use the victory of the team to encourage gang members to change their lifestyle.

“This Gun Amnesty Plan will use whatever leverage and influence the national football side has with some of these misguided individuals. If the effort produces one positively altered life, or just a few guns, it would still have been worth it," said Jack Warner, FIFA vice president and advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago football federation.

The gun amnesty plan is based on existing plans in places such as Brazil, Canada and Iraq.

“That plan is based on the fact that many of our footballers have emerged from downtrodden neighbourhoods where drug dealers are as commonplace as vendors, and where crime is seen as a career choice," he said.

“The recent victory of our national football team has touched even the gang leaders because these gang leaders identify with the success of the players. Members of the team are quite ready to make an impassioned plea to these gangs to put down their guns, to give themselves, communities, and this country a chance."

However, there has some controversy in the local press and political circles regarding FIFA vice president, Warner, who is also the deputy political leader of the opposition United National Congress.

As head of the local football federation, Warner has been instrumental in promoting the Trinidad and Tobago football team. When the team qualified for the World Cup, he was rightly feted.

In recent weeks concerns have been raised about a possible conflict of interests.

Local newspapers have recently highlighted an agreement struck between the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation and Simpaul Travel. The travel agents has been chosen as the official ticket distributor for the T&T matches.

Warner is a company director of Simpaul Travel.

Local newspapers have also printed letters of complaint, and some argue that local fans interested in purchasing World Cup tickets at a street value ranging between TT$780 (£78) and TT$2,254 (£225) were told to pay TT$30,000 (£3,000).

Warner has adamently denied any conflict of interest.

He insisted that he would not apologise for “the business interests of the Warner Group of Companies".

He made it quite clear that he was acting properly.

At a recent press conference, he pleaded innocent to any wrongdoing.

“The FIFA of which I am proud to be an official has a membership of 207 countries with a cumulative population of over three billion people. Of this number, 24 persons have been selected to be on the FIFA Executive Committee of which Trinidad & Tobago has a member and a vice-president at that!

“In each of the other 23 countries, being a member on the FIFA Executive Committee is considered an honour. In Trinidad & Tobago, however, such a membership seems to be a curse! And why? It is because, in some ways, some people of this country, our country, are cruel and unkind, always bent on belittling persons who are successful, particularly persons like me."

He added that since he had “given selflessly to the cause of football", no one should “attempt to impute improper business practices and conflicts of interest to me."

In a recent press conference, he said that Simpaul Travel, a company owned by his family, held exclusive rights to Trinidad and Tobago’s 2006 World Cup tickets.

ASSASSINATION
The CONCACAF president charged that the allegations were “part of a well-timed, carefully-orchestrated character assassination, designed to devalue any political currency which opponents of the UNC feel I might have been developing as a result of the Soca Warriors' World Cup qualification."

Warner also revealed that the TTFF owed some TT$827,000 (£82,700) to Simpaul Travel, as well as over TT$500,000 (£50,000) to two other Warner family-owned companies – D Coal Pot, and the Emerald Plaza hotel.

That controversy may continue to dominate local media but it will do little to remove the patriotic fervour felt by Trinbagonians in the UK.

In a recent commentary, Trevor McDonald wrote of his support for the Trinidad and Tobago team:

“Make no mistake about it: to my fellow Trinidadians the World Cup draw which puts them in the same group as England is the stuff of dreams. Trinidad and Tobago football, for so long sport’s poor relation in a country that loves cricket, has arrived. And, begging the pardon of Messrs Eriksson and Beckham and at the risk of incurring the wrath of Lord Tebbit and his famous sporting ‘test’, I shall be rooting for Trinidad."

However controversial broadcaster Darcus Howe adopts a different view: “I’m not allowing my head to rule my heart in terms of support. I feel as much a part of the England team with all the black boys they’ve got on the team."

Published: 11 January 2006
Issue: 1200

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 10:18:05 AM by Carib-briton(aka Futbol) »

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
That shouldn't come as a big surprise to anybody. Trinidadians are not very patriotic people in the first place. I could remember there were a few assholes who wanted Mexico to beat us. It's something we just have to deal with. While it's beautiful country with great talent and potential like all people from all cultures there part of our attitude that are rotten to the core. Just think about where this "waggonist" thing came about from. A bunch of fair weather fans who a mere few months before were bad mouthing our team. These are the same people who making all the noise for paying $300 TT to see THEIR NATIONAL TEAM play for the last time before our World Cup debut.In fact this is the first time the country will see the entire team since Nov 12. I we making noise for that  In reality Trinis don't care about anything but Carnival. If trinis in T&T could do it what can we say for some "trinis" abroad ? Some of them only return home for Carnival.Take dey wine and jam and go back to the cold.

I'm sorry to sound like this but it's how I feel. At the same time I want to acknowledge that there are a lot of Trinis who try their best out there and have never forgotten home. But its fresh water yankee,prodigal son attitude that I can't handle. When will we learn to love our own ?

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Trinidadians are not very patriotic people in the first place.

At the same time I want to acknowledge that there are a lot of Trinis who try their best out there and have never forgotten home.

make up yuh mind....if there are alot of Trinis who try their best and have never forgotten home....how are Trinidadians not patriotic ?

moral of the story: stop generalizing people

« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 12:04:47 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I lived in Canada and now live in the US. I have Canadian and US residency, and I am extremely grateful to both countries for the opportunities, great memories etc: But the day I back them over T&T , is de day, I want to somebody to shoot mih in mih head...

Offline Carib-Briton

• Hero Warrior
  • Working Things Out!
    • View Profile
I lived in Canada and now live in the US. I have Canadian and US residency, and I am extremely grateful to both countries for the opportunities, great memories etc: But the day I back them over T&T , is de day, I want to somebody to shoot mih in mih head...
LMAO

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Germany just ress ah set ah goals (<-- click here) on the USA football team ;)
maybe you mean in something else ;D

i saw the game and know the final score ... forget the rankings USA 4th Germany 19th.  the US used that game to look at other players and for Arena to evaluate options.  Anyways, this US team are ranked outsiders and like Holland will make significant headway at the WC. If the US and GErmany meet in the WC ... the US will win.
Snake in de balliser

Offline superoli

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
There is not a single Trini in London that I know that is not supporting Trinidad not one dam one.
Superoli for President of TTFF
I have one promise...........
A professional organization for professional players

Offline JayTheWrecker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
sago pinto, as soon as i read your post i thought of my brother-in-law who lives by you in Pembroke Pines. Perhaps you know him? his name is Bobby Singh originally from Chaguanas and he's a deputy Sheriff in Dade County. Anyways, Bobby emigrated to USA when he was 16 or 17 and applied for citizenship and thing and even joined the US Marines. He's about 30 years old now and is a full Yank with American accent, Stars and Stripes flying outside his bungalow, Silverado pickup with a US Marine licence number holder and so on and so forth. And yeah, he rooting for USA over T&T in World Cup. Don't understand it myself but that's just the way it is  ???
Son, there's only two things that matter in this life. Family and Football. Everything else is bullshit

Offline marcpurcell

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
From the day I came back to Canada I realized there were three types of West Indians. The first group are people who believe that where they came from is the greatest thing since sliced bread and tore down there country where they lived.

The next group was those who never looked backed when they left. The essentially shit over there former country and had nothing good to say abouth the place and will never return. Those are the ones who live for bad news coming out there countries so they can feel better about the decesion they made and are marvelled when they go back after years to find the place has changed.

The last group are people who realise there are good and bad aspects to the country where they live and the country where they came from and are willing to accept that.

At my old job I had to ladies from Guyana working side by side. One who went home at least once a year sometimes even twice. The other saying she will never go back and hated the place. It is not only T&T people.

Born in Montreal
Living in Toronto
But still a Barataria boy at heart

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
sago pinto, as soon as i read your post i thought of my brother-in-law who lives by you in Pembroke Pines. Perhaps you know him? his name is Bobby Singh originally from Chaguanas and he's a deputy Sheriff in Dade County. Anyways, Bobby emigrated to USA when he was 16 or 17 and applied for citizenship and thing and even joined the US Marines. He's about 30 years old now and is a full Yank with American accent, Stars and Stripes flying outside his bungalow, Silverado pickup with a US Marine licence number holder and so on and so forth. And yeah, he rooting for USA over T&T in World Cup. Don't understand it myself but that's just the way it is  ???

so much for maintaining some anonymity........
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
sago pinto, as soon as i read your post i thought of my brother-in-law who lives by you in Pembroke Pines. Perhaps you know him? his name is Bobby Singh originally from Chaguanas and he's a deputy Sheriff in Dade County. Anyways, Bobby emigrated to USA when he was 16 or 17 and applied for citizenship and thing and even joined the US Marines. He's about 30 years old now and is a full Yank with American accent, Stars and Stripes flying outside his bungalow, Silverado pickup with a US Marine licence number holder and so on and so forth. And yeah, he rooting for USA over T&T in World Cup. Don't understand it myself but that's just the way it is  ???

:rotfl: :applause: :joker: :banginghead:
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

;D :rotfl:

Jay boy yuh brother in law just reflecting he initials  :bs:
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

1]; } ?>