April 29, 2024, 08:58:18 AM

Author Topic: Eriksson set to gamble on Rooney  (Read 4247 times)

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Eriksson set to gamble on Rooney
« on: April 30, 2006, 01:39:23 PM »
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/4960812.stm

Eriksson set to gamble on Rooney
[/size]
England boss Sven-Goran Eriksson will include Wayne Rooney in his World Cup squad if there is a chance the striker will be fit for the knockout stages.

BBC Five Live understands he will take the gamble if Manchester United think Rooney can recover in time and in the hope England will reach the last 16.

Rooney, 20, fractured a metatarsal bone in his right foot on Saturday.

England's first game against Paraguay on 10 June is six weeks away, the period predicted for Rooney's recovery.

The World Cup knockout stages are scheduled to begin on 24 June - eight weeks away - with the quarter-finals due to begin seven days later.

Eriksson will name his provisional World Cup squad on 8 May and his definitive one by 15 May.

Under Fifa rules, coaches can replace players injured after the 15 May deadline, but not those that picked up knocks before that date.

The youngster is seen as an integral part of England's bid to win the World Cup in Germany.

He broke a bone in the same foot during England's quarter-final defeat by Portugal in Euro 2004.

His absence was seen as a major factor in England's failure to progress to the semi-finals.

Rooney's position is remarkably similar to that of England captain David Beckham before the last World Cup in 2002.

Then, Beckham broke his fifth metatarsal nearly eight weeks before the start of England's World Cup campaign.

And while he played from the start of the tournament, he was clearly not fit - a fact he later admitted.
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Eriksson set to gamble on Rooney
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2006, 02:25:25 PM »

gamble with him.

i like it  ;D

Offline Falkirk and proud

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2006, 02:41:13 PM »
Tossers i hate Enguland >:( >:(
The Falkirk Stadium where a genius plays.

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2006, 03:08:18 PM »
well if dey wanna play an unfit player das dere business yes

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2006, 03:10:31 PM »
That is a big gamble man. Eriksson need to understand England is not a one man team.

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2006, 03:35:30 PM »
That is a big gamble man. Eriksson need to understand England is not a one man team.

Aye... Eriksson looking to set up Sweden... :rotfl:

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
Allyuh acting suprised. Dey hadda make second round first eh. And every single pundit sayin dat england go have a chance at winning world cup once rooney fit. I really want to see how dangerous he go be after 6 weeks out wit minimal ball work, plus low match fitness. dat is a big risk dey taking buh den again rooney is like god fuh dem. so men who fit like defoe and ting go hadda scrunt. i waiting  to see if that gamble pay off.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/health_and_fitness/4283136.stm

TREATMENT?
Rest. The immediate response is a big "no" to all exercise and sport for 4-8 weeks.

De man good....buh still man. Look how long he take after euro. Me eh loosing sleep over it like how men like small mag and ting is doh. As much as i go like to see players at their best for world cup.....tings like this happen. If england dont take it down and get over it.......dey might even spoil de man career after world cup.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2006, 04:58:17 PM by Bourbon »
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2006, 06:53:12 PM »
ERICKSON STIPID MOVE

pick bobby zamora as yuh alternate striker nah an give we someting to discuss
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline andre samuel

• Hero Warrior
  • "ah love it!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2006, 07:51:44 AM »

U need to understand that there isnt another player in the world like rooney and everyone knows that without rooney, england does have that exra punch in attack!!

although they said he will return in 6 weeks, that simply means that he will heal after 4 weeks then will require 2 weeks to get fit!

I for one think that the world cup is about having the best players from each country there!

Erickson is doing what anyother manager would do!

ah love it!!
Andre Samuel, who controls all the rights to the phrase "ah love it!!"

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2006, 08:08:45 AM »
If its not Rooney it will be Cole ... hell ... let him bring Rooney cuz he will not be ready after such a long lay off ... Sven is doing that for psychological reasons ... what else could an unfit player bring to a team/ nation is not hope ... can u imagine if one of our stronger players on the team was not 100% ... he's Englands only hope ... and thats why dey go lose to de warriors ...

Dear Sven,

Please bring Rooney to de WC.  He's your only hope.  "Dawg" Andrews and "Tall Man" Lawrence go eat em up.

Best Regards
Warrior Fan
Snake in de balliser

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2006, 08:21:54 AM »

argentina will gamble on Messi, mascherano and Riquelme. Brazil on Ronaldo, spain on Xaxi, france on Zidane you think if Yorke gets injured we wont do the same ?

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2006, 08:28:33 AM »

argentina will gamble on Messi, mascherano and Riquelme. Brazil on Ronaldo, spain on Xaxi, france on Zidane you think if Yorke gets injured we wont do the same ?

I hear you but i still think it is a big gamble but in the end if gamble turns out perfect and Rooney make some kind of significant impact on the World Cup then everyone will thank him Erikkson. Also considering the fact that if the coach play him and something happen like him getting re-injured or causing england the World Cup, the whole english media will turn against Eriksson. Anyway that is he job we but if it was me i wouldn't take that risk but i would love to see Rooney play in this world cup at that age. I praying that he has a quick recovery.

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2006, 08:34:34 AM »

I hear you but i still think it is a big gamble but in the end if gamble turns out perfect and Rooney make some kind of significant impact on the World Cup then everyone will thank him Erikkson. Also considering the fact that if the coach play him and something happen like him getting re-injured or causing england the World Cup, the whole english media will turn against Eriksson. Anyway that is he job we but if it was me i wouldn't take that risk but i would love to see Rooney play in this world cup at that age. I praying that he has a quick recovery.

Eriksson is also out after the WC ... so i don't think he really cares if the media turns on him ... British media is so focused on who's the next manager. Rooney is young and hungury, but still over rated.  Joe Cole is a much better pick for the WC.  but still bring him "pressure does buss pipe".
Snake in de balliser

Offline doc

• Hero Warrior
  • ...game, set, match.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2006, 08:34:40 AM »

Eriksson did the same for Beckham who suffered a similar injury in April 2002 and played in the WC. I'm sure it affected his performance, however, he was ruled fit and returned 7 weeks later.
Live large and prosper!

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2006, 11:42:35 AM »
ERICKSON STIPID MOVE

pick bobby zamora as yuh alternate striker nah an give we someting to discuss

:rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Ferguson queries Rooney Cup role
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2006, 01:59:02 PM »
Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/teams/england/4963304.stm

Ferguson queries Rooney Cup role

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson says he doubts Wayne Rooney will play in this summer's World Cup.

The 20-year-old England striker is out for six weeks after breaking a bone in his foot in United's 3-0 defeat by Chelsea on Saturday.

Ferguson told United's website: "You never know, but at the moment I doubt that he will take part because of the recovery time.

"Without doubt it is a crippling blow for England."

I would think this injury is even more of a killer-blow to him because he knows he is missing major tournaments
Sir Alex Ferguson    

England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson still hopes to pick Rooney in the hope he will be fit to play in the later stages of the tournament.

Ferguson added: "When you see brave players staying down after a tackle you know it's genuine and he's in pain and that's what I felt with Wayne.

"At first we didn't think it was too bad, but when we sent him for the scan it identified the problem and we realised what a blow it was for the boy and for England.

"I spoke to Wayne on Saturday evening and he was obviously a bit down, but I told him these things happen."

The injury is the same one that ended Rooney's Euro 2004 campaign - but Ferguson knows the timing is even worse for him this time.

He added: "I would think this injury is even more of a killer-blow to him because he knows he is missing major tournaments.

"This time round it is even worse because he is more mature and is a more rounded player who has improved dramatically over the last two years. So it is a real, real blow."

Ferguson spoke to the England medical team in the hours after Rooney sustained his injury and says he is keen to try to keep Eriksson informed of any developments.

If England don't have Wayne Rooney they will need to look at getting inspiration from other players
Sir Alex Ferguson    

He explained: "I have tried to get hold of Sven so I can give him as clear an opinion from us as possible because he will be reading a lot of stuff in the newspapers.

"We have spoken to the England doctor and I think it is important that I give as much as information as I can to Sven to make sure he is absolutely clear on what road he can take.

"Wayne will be in plaster for the next few weeks and he'll be having regular scans to see how it is healing."

The Scot added he was unhappy that Rooney had been saddled with such a burden of national expectation.

"I said a few weeks ago that I didn't want to see this kind of pressure on a lad of 20," said Ferguson.

"Other more experienced players such as David Beckham, Steven Gerrard, Frank Lampard, John Terry, Rio Ferdinand and Gary Neville, should be taking the mantle.

"If England don't have Wayne Rooney they will need to look at getting inspiration from other players."

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Re: Ferguson queries Rooney Cup role
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2006, 02:12:20 PM »
Who's next ????
Warrior For Life !!

fabio

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2006, 09:27:46 PM »
who cares? wat rooney do in d EPL is the EPL. the world cup features the most elite players so he aint bound to shine dey. he could get some good hard jam in he backside.

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 01:16:23 AM »
Nah man Flavio, Rooney shined at Euro 2004.   Or maybe the players there were not up to your standards.

1]; } ?>