March 29, 2024, 04:16:27 AM

Author Topic: Maradona believes England can win the WC  (Read 3582 times)

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Maradona believes England can win the WC
« on: May 01, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »
didn't see this anywhere on the board.

from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4947084.stm

Monday, 1 May 2006, 23:17 GMT 00:17 UK

WHEN LINEKER MET MARADONA

Football legend Diego Maradona believes Sven-Goran Eriksson's England side can win the World Cup in Germany.

As well as ability, Maradona insists their experience can help them prosper.

"England has a good team - much stronger than at previous World Cups," Maradona, 45, said in a BBC documentary to be shown on Tuesday.

In the interview with ex-England star Gary Lineker, the Argentine added: "With the experience of its players it could be a good World Cup for them."

The interview marked the first meeting between Lineker and Maradona since 1987, when they played in a Wembley Centenary match.

Their previous encounter had been in the quarter-finals of the 1986 World Cup - when Argentina beat England 2-1, thanks to two goals from Maradona.

The first was the infamous 'hand of God' goal; the second was one of the greatest goals of all time, when Maradona dribbled from his own half before rounding England goalkeeper Peter Shilton to score.

Lineker told Maradona the second goal was "probably the one and only time in my whole career I felt like applauding the opposition scoring a goal".

And the Argentine said he might only have been able to score such a goal against England.

"To score that goal for me was fantastic - and in a World Cup, incredible," he said.

"When you talk about playing against Italy, Uruguay or Brazil, it is much more complicated to do the move that I did than playing against England.

"Because the English player is a lot more noble, a lot more honest on the pitch."

Maradona admitted he had scored the first goal with his hand - but denied that it was cheating.

"It was my hand (but) no, I don't think it was cheating. Cunning, cheekiness, craftiness, but not cheating," he said.

"Maybe we have more of it in South America than in Europe.

"I don't mean any disrespect to England fans but this is something that happens.

"I had scored goals before in Argentina with my hand. I couldn't reach it and Shilton was already there. I couldn't head it, so I did like that.

"And I moved my hand back and started to run. Shilton did not realise - the one who realised was Terry Butcher."

And the Argentine explained why he described the goal as "the hand of God".

He said: "Because God gives us a hand. Because it's very difficult for it not to be seen by two people - the referee and the linesman. That's why I said it was the hand of God."
« Last Edit: May 01, 2006, 09:56:40 PM by daryn »

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Maradona believes England can win the WC
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2006, 09:55:27 PM »

from the BBC http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/world_cup_2006/4947084.stm

Football legend Diego Maradona believes Sven-Goran Eriksson's England side can win the World Cup in Germany.

"England has a good team - much stronger than at previous World Cups," Maradona, 45, said in a BBC documentary to be shown on Tuesday.

In the interview with ex-England star Gary Lineker, the Argentine added: "With the experience of its players it could be a good World Cup for them."

The interview marked the first meeting between Lineker and Maradona since 1987, when they played in a Wembley Centenary match.

Their previous encounter had been in the quarter-finals of the 1986 World Cup - when Argentina beat England 2-1, thanks to two goals from Maradona.

The first was the infamous 'hand of God' goal; the second was one of the greatest goals of all time, when Maradona dribbled from his own half before rounding England goalkeeper Peter Shilton to score.

It was my hand but no, I don't think it was cheating
Diego Maradona

Lineker told Maradona the second goal was "probably the one and only time in my whole career I felt like applauding the opposition scoring a goal".

And the Argentine said he might only have been able to score such a goal against England.

"To score that goal for me was fantastic - and in a World Cup, incredible," he said.

"When you talk about playing against Italy, Uruguay or Brazil, it is much more complicated to do the move that I did than playing against England.

"Because the English player is a lot more noble, a lot more honest on the pitch."

Maradona admitted he had scored the first goal with his hand - but denied that it was cheating.

Five days with Diego

"It was my hand (but) no, I don't think it was cheating. Cunning, cheekiness, craftiness, but not cheating," he said.

"I don't mean any disrespect to England fans but this is something that happens.

"I had scored goals before in Argentina with my hand. I couldn't reach it and Shilton was already there. I couldn't head it, so I did like that.

"And I moved my hand back and started to run. Shilton did not realise - the one who realised was Terry Butcher."

He said: "Because God gives us a hand. Because it's very difficult for it not to be seen by two people - the referee and the linesman. That's why I said it was the hand of God."

Great, we should cut dey arse now....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2006, 10:02:47 PM »
Marvin...will be our hand GOD
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2006, 11:01:23 PM »
the kind ah filth that does come out he mouth eh

I wonder if any team so mad as to give he a side to manage

Més que un club.

Offline westcoast warrior

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2006, 11:12:23 PM »
maradona is a real ass! Cokehead mudda ass!

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 01:49:05 AM »

let them talk....

maradonna have him own point of view

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 05:52:39 AM »

Five days with Diego

Reason numero uno I doh like he. You do that in world cup and acting shameless so?? Steups.

The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline Trini Madness

• Heart....miles and miles of heart
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 06:15:46 AM »
he hadda be on cocaine or some sh*t
A dream you don't fight for will haunt you for the rest of your life.

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2006, 06:27:19 AM »
Maradona also believe that he could make a comeback
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2006, 06:38:20 AM »
he can say what he likes, he is still a fat, cheating, junkie bastard.

TrinInfinite

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2006, 06:41:46 AM »
ah love maradonna as a player but he talkin shit, he should be saying argentina winning  :-X

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2006, 07:15:44 AM »
 ;D D man just trying a Pele, put some more goat mouth on d english.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2006, 10:51:45 AM »
;D D man just trying a Pele, put some more goat mouth on d english.
:rotfl:
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2006, 11:14:54 AM »
Maradona and Rick James are two in the same people.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 11:19:59 AM by Jefferz »
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2006, 12:00:02 PM »

Still grinding that axe eh  ;D

let it go pompey....de bitterness is not good for yuh health...plus yuh already got de falklands back
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2006, 12:01:28 PM »
Maradonna was also serverly addicted to coke......

seriously though, England winning the World Cup would not be a shocker.......to say that they cannot win, is a stretch.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2006, 03:17:07 PM by kicker »
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2006, 12:18:36 PM »
He's just patronising the English.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2006, 01:09:24 PM »
aye aye  watch allyuh mouth!

Doh be bad talking Diego atall.  The man score a great goal, one that wil be remembered for generations.  Yes it was a hand ball, but guile and cunning also have their place in the game.  If a Trinidadian score one just so in June nobody would complain how we tief.

Regarding the man's personal habits (the drugs and his size up to a couple years ago) allyuh could say what allyuh want, the man was still a joy to behold on the football field. 

In our generation 80s - present day Diego Armando Maradona is the UNDISPUTED king.  If you bring in the 70s Pele will be in the argument as well, but from the 80s onwards you talking men like Michel (Platini), Zico, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Zidane.... great #10s.  And among that elite class Maradona is still the boss.

So bad talk how much allyuh want, Diego is king.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2006, 01:24:09 PM »

Doh be bad talking Diego atall.  The man score a great goal, one that wil be remembered for generations.  Yes it was a hand ball, but guile and cunning also have their place in the game.  If a Trinidadian score one just so in June nobody would complain how we tief.

Regarding the man's personal habits (the drugs and his size up to a couple years ago) allyuh could say what allyuh want, the man was still a joy to behold on the football field. 

In our generation 80s - present day Diego Armando Maradona is the UNDISPUTED king.  If you bring in the 70s Pele will be in the argument as well, but from the 80s onwards you talking men like Michel (Platini), Zico, Ronaldinho, Rivaldo, Zidane.... great #10s.  And among that elite class Maradona is still the boss.

I would be ashamed of any T&T player who would punch the ball into the goal. Wrong is Wrong.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2006, 01:24:41 PM »

Well that should end the "whose better: Pele or Maradona" debate. I'm sure Pele didn't have to resort to those kinds of sillyness in order to score goals.

As far as England winning the WC ::)  well they have to get by T&T first. :chilling:
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2006, 01:31:40 PM »

I would be ashamed of any T&T player who would punch the ball into the goal. Wrong is Wrong.

hhahahahahahaahahahaaha

I taking it.  Allyuh men great oui.  As we partner Alberta say, "This is not a series of Friendlies.  Is war."

If we score a goal like that all the power to the scorer.  Let's Go T&T!!!

Offline Pompey

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2006, 02:31:48 PM »

Still grinding that axe eh  ;D

let it go pompey....de bitterness is not good for yuh health...plus yuh already got de falklands back

:D

he is still a fat ugly junkie though :P

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2006, 03:10:41 PM »
people...just to let you all know...addiction is a very serious sickness......i am sure its a curse diego does not want.....
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2006, 05:37:28 PM »

with all the rancor about the Hand of God, I could never get a englishman to answer the question. Ok so he cheat on the first goal, what happen on the second?

My thoughts are that Barnes shoulda be sweating long before the second half of that game, but that is another story.

Also, Germans does still cuss allyuh for Geoff Hurst "goal" in 66?

Next we go hear about the falklands.. say what. Allyuh still have to beat T&T
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2006, 07:22:30 PM »

The man score a great goal, one that wil be remembered for generations. 
YES, the second one  ::)

Yes it was a hand ball, but guile and cunning also have their place in the game. 
YES, like the guile involved in capping a keeper, or the cunning involved in turning a defender out of his socks
If you want to see real guile and cunning, check out Pele against Sweden in 58

If a Trinidadian score one just so in June nobody would complain how we tief.
Actually everybody on the opposing team, their supporters, "half the world that like to point they finger at we backward uncivilized third world banana republics" and myself. The fact of the matter is that the playing field is not even and we have even more of a reputation to maintain than those great footballing nations when it comes to fairplay...

BTW, anybody remember Onandi Lowe trying to hands a ball to keep it out of the goal in that match against Croatia? It was the second croatian goal when the score was 1-1. Imagine that he'd managed to keep it out and Jamaica had managed to win the match 2-1...and had qualified for the next round. How much do you think that would have done for the J'cans international Rep?

I is the first man disown Stern John if he try that dotishness come june... Nothing tarnishing we first WC appearance.
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

1]; } ?>