March 29, 2024, 12:59:20 AM

Author Topic: Memory Lane  (Read 4470 times)

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Memory Lane
« on: May 02, 2006, 07:30:39 PM »
Does anyone  know who are these guys are these guys,Mervyn Mervina,Francis Rivas,Ken Gault,Mannie and Gilbert,Foots, etc add any names you feel need remembering.

truetrini

Re: Memory Lane
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2006, 08:16:23 PM »
Dem is some big names dey boy Coops.  But yuh asking de wrong people here about dem peeps.  Many here younger and eh know dat some ah dem men contribute so much tuh T&T football.

Man like Mervyn and Francis Rivas pay fuh minor league ball with money out dey own pockets.

There was a time when Harvard and Notre Dame and dem used tuh play in Francis Rivas league by de old Horse cemetary.

Man like Gally used tuh play in dat same minor league too oui.

Ah hear dat is you and Cahrlie Spooner who was some ah de men behind de starting ah Jabloteh before dem was even name Jabloteh.

Dat true?   ;D

Yuh remember de time allyuh went England and get allyuh FA badge?

Ahhhhhh boy de good old days ah T&T ball...and den Jack Warner come along...ent?

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2006, 08:40:13 PM »
Boy charlie Spooner and baby thomasos had a real war going ...
talk was thet dem men used to sharpen dey pegs before a game.
I remember Charlie taking a red card against a howard University Bisons team in de Oval. seems a nigerian was running rings around poor Charlie until charlie let loose a straight right and walked ...no one messed with charlie Spooner !
his career with trinidad was shortened because players insurance wasnt yet invented ......for de other team ! wereally couldn´t afford his brilliant plays  :devil: :devil:
memory lane should include Eddie Hart and weekes too !
sunday morning football in de savannah wouldn´t be what it was without weekes league. Dont forget bourg league too where you played Coops and so did I for Pioneers ..dont know who was responsible for that one .

Offline ChipChipSilver

• 'Let the Good Times Roll'
  • Sr. Warrior
  • Do you feel like working today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2006, 08:41:23 PM »
Coops ah eh know what part of Trini yuh from, ah see yuh play back in de days with Army but ah calling some men from Puna....Godfrey Harris, Horse, Brain and others that ah cah remember right now ... you should remember dem Tecsa days in Lever Brothers grounds.
In Everything, Give Thanks

Offline jai john

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2006, 08:46:37 PM »
Coops ah eh know what part of Trini yuh from, ah see yuh play back in de days with Army but ah calling some men from Puna....Godfrey Harris, Horse, Brain and others that ah cah remember right now ... you should remember dem Tecsa days in Lever Brothers grounds.

Dont forget the Sir frank Worrel team which was the precursor of TECSA !
Dem days was standing room only on de sidelines.... nutsmen now strugglin not like long time ...

Offline ChipChipSilver

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2006, 08:49:54 PM »
Yeh Jai John..ah used to be on top of the RC School when de grounds full

Offline davyjenny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2006, 10:00:07 PM »
what about ray "pumping jack"roberts,fugerson brothers, pope.
later on it was junior "blackie" ifill,steve david, bowen brothers,ron, len
and wayne la forest,wayne roach, reynold george, kenny"chorkie"joseph,
winston"bee"phillip,the ramdoo's and the young garnet craig,
to name a few.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 05:27:24 AM by davyjenny »
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2006, 10:14:02 PM »
Ken Galt tho eh coops! it not Gault as many like to spell it......as i said before..never had the pleasure of meeting my grandfather as i came along 7 years too late....but my grandmother and my mother made me feel like i knew him personally
Back in Trini...

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 05:17:36 AM »
Dem is some big names dey boy Coops.  But yuh asking de wrong people here about dem peeps.  Many here younger and eh know dat some ah dem men contribute so much tuh T&T football.

Man like Mervyn and Francis Rivas pay fuh minor league ball with money out dey own pockets.

There was a time when Harvard and Notre Dame and dem used tuh play in Francis Rivas league by de old Horse cemetary.

Man like Gally used tuh play in dat same minor league too oui.

Ah hear dat is you and Cahrlie Spooner who was some ah de men behind de starting ah Jabloteh before dem was even name Jabloteh.

Dat true?   ;D

Yuh remember de time allyuh went England and get allyuh FA badge?

Ahhhhhh boy de good old days ah T&T ball...and den Jack Warner come along...ent?
       If Jabloteh truthfull with themselves the will confirm this,i'm sure a lot of you guys don't don't Charlie played for Jabloteh,after we came back from that Tour we made to England myself and Charlie was using these guys to practice what we had learn and so it started at the back of San Juan Secondary.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 05:33:20 AM »
Boy charlie Spooner and baby thomasos had a real war going ...
talk was thet dem men used to sharpen dey pegs before a game.
I remember Charlie taking a red card against a howard University Bisons team in de Oval. seems a nigerian was running rings around poor Charlie until charlie let loose a straight right and walked ...no one messed with charlie Spooner !
his career with trinidad was shortened because players insurance wasnt yet invented ......for de other team ! wereally couldn´t afford his brilliant plays  :devil: :devil:
memory lane should include Eddie Hart and weekes too !
sunday morning football in de savannah wouldn´t be what it was without weekes league. Dont forget bourg league too where you played Coops and so did I for Pioneers ..dont know who was responsible for that one .
      If there was ever a bad boy in T&T Football Charlie was it,there was not a game where there wasn't some incident,but mind you i still think he was one of the best defenders in the country,i think he caused them to introduce Players insurance in Football :devil: :devil:
        Eddie Hart and Weekes must be put up there because any Footballer who have not played in Eddie Hart league really have not played Football.I'm glad you mentioned Bourg Mulatresse league that's my league, it was my back yard,it's where i developed as a player,i only lived a mile from there,that league produced guys like Roderick Gibbs,Hector Sam,Marvyn Oliver,Richard Chinapoo,Arnold Dwarika etc i was the first player from the area to represent T&T.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 05:43:07 AM »
       Breds i'm a San Juan man,talk about San Juan and i can tell you,although i played with Army all my career i had a stint with TESCA for one season and played with all those guys they are personal friends of mine up to this day,just call names in Puna and i know them,Army v TESCA was always a sellout at Leaver Brothers,those games were always close and good Football from post to post for 90 mins,i still look for Horse in Exodus panyard when i go home.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 05:52:06 AM »
Ken Galt tho eh coops! it not Gault as many like to spell it......as i said before..never had the pleasure of meeting my grandfather as i came along 7 years too late....but my grandmother and my mother made me feel like i knew him personally
       Thanks Breds i had a mind something did not look right when i spelled it but i knew Ken Galt very well because he was our president at one time,i don't think i ever saw him play though but did serve the game well,i think at one time it had a trophy being played for in his name,it was one of those North v South Classics.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 06:08:39 AM »
what about ray "pumping jack"roberts,fugerson brothers, pope.
later on it was junior "blackie" ifill,steve david, bowen brothers,ron, len
and wayne la forest,wayne roach, reynold george, kenny"chorkie"joseph,
winston"bee"phillip,the ramdoo's and the young garnet craig,
to name a few.

Just adding a few more to your list,Dick and Francis Furlong,Robert "Keto" Joseph,Wilfred Cave,Ulric"Buggy"Haynes,Milton Archibald,Sammy Llewelyn,Leo Brewster,Clebert Lenard to name a few.

Offline scooby

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 06:28:19 AM »
coop ah like this post thanks for bringing back the memories let me mention a few more names remember Challengers with Tampe George, Brian John, Wayne (tapper) Percival, Roderick dog Nicolson, the Barrington family all them , Humphey Brand or Blackpool with Charlie, Boland, Mervin (now decease) Jabba in goal, Barataria Ballplayers with Alalabi, Jerry, Gus (god rest his soul), Garfield De silva, Noel. Coop`s do not forget one of the best products from out of Bourg Bertram (no teeth beat) Obrien, yes he was better than rambo I so and rambo is my good friend, last one for your coop Libert (blackboy) Duncan...................Ah love this site .......Hillsdale small team bigheart total football

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 07:16:00 AM »
Nice post... Brings back some memories...

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 09:03:50 AM »
coop ah like this post thanks for bringing back the memories let me mention a few more names remember Challengers with Tampe George, Brian John, Wayne (tapper) Percival, Roderick dog Nicolson, the Barrington family all them , Humphey Brand or Blackpool with Charlie, Boland, Mervin (now decease) Jabba in goal, Barataria Ballplayers with Alalabi, Jerry, Gus (god rest his soul), Garfield De silva, Noel. Coop`s do not forget one of the best products from out of Bourg Bertram (no teeth beat) Obrien, yes he was better than rambo I so and rambo is my good friend, last one for your coop Libert (blackboy) Duncan...................Ah love this site .......Hillsdale small team bigheart total football
      All these guys mentioned i've either coached, played with or against and they are all my personal friends to this day.
      Aranguez,Mt Lambert,Barataria,Bourg Mulatresse,Santa Cruz was always a hot-bed for good Footballers,when you look at Alvin and Anton Corneal,Arthur Browne,Vernon and Ellis Sadaphal,Randolph Bally,Gwenwyn Cust,Ken Butcher,Kenwyn Cooper,Richard Chinapoo to name a few.I started in Aranguez because it was the closest place for us to play until Bourg Mulatresse field opened  up which was convenient for us.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 09:10:14 AM »

Did you  play for TESCA? cause my team Point Fortin Civic Centre used to OWN TESCA. Ah cyar remember ah single game TESCA ever beat we. We used to love to go watch Earl Carter playing for them doh. He was pure kicks on and off the field. Always the center of attention. He was masterful even though we used to win, Earl was boss.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 09:29:31 AM »

Did you  play for TESCA? cause my team Point Fortin Civic Centre used to OWN TESCA. Ah cyar remember ah single game TESCA ever beat we. We used to love to go watch Earl Carter playing for them doh. He was pure kicks on and off the field. Always the center of attention. He was masterful even though we used to win, Earl was boss.
   I actually did play for TESCA one season that was there best season in the then National League,all those teams were very good is just that Army some how always had the edge on them,Kelvin Barclay saved for us that year i think Carter came after.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 09:54:08 AM »
What about those good Minor Leagues it used to have,that's where guys like Eddie Hart,Mervyn Mervina and Francis Rivas etc comes in,can anyone let us know of some like Carenage,Four Roads,Labrea,Poor House etc etc

Offline ChipChipSilver

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 07:11:27 PM »

Nah Pointman..ah wasn't that good, grow up in Puna and support de team for years.  Ah cah challenge yuh on wah yuh saying bout Civiv Centre beaating up on Tecsa cause ah really cah remember who had the advantage....but ah doh tink it dah bad as you said...common man!!!!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline ChipChipSilver

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 07:17:41 PM »
Breds i'm a San Juan man,talk about San Juan and i can tell you,although i played with Army all my career i had a stint with TESCA for one season and played with all those guys they are personal friends of mine up to this day,just call names in Puna and i know them,Army v TESCA was always a sellout at Leaver Brothers,those games were always close and good Football from post to post for 90 mins,i still look for Horse in Exodus panyard when i go home.

Ah remember da time as you mention bout playing one year wid de team....I was born in San Juan hill Coops jus grow up in Puna.....ah never played top ball though  :( :( :( :(

Offline davyjenny

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2006, 10:27:33 AM »
What about those good Minor Leagues it used to have,that's where guys like Eddie Hart,Mervyn Mervina and Francis Rivas etc comes in,can anyone let us know of some like Carenage,Four Roads,Labrea,Poor House etc etc

Carenage: that part of the country have some of the best talent in t&t  till this day.Back in the '70's they had great players then, but, never got called up for national selection.The defense force was a vehicle for players in that area to get recognise.carenage boys' won the island wide primary school in early '70's,some of the players that school produce include. Ron La.forest, Len La.forest,Wayne La.forest,Junior Phillip,"Sue","babe boy", Waterman,Pacheco,Junior Jones and many many more.
The difference between the possible and
the impossible lies in a person determination

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2006, 10:50:21 PM »
there was always ah rumour about Sue and how old he was.  :D ;D...man like he play primary school football forever. My local team was Oukali's represented the West for a while. Most players started off playing in the Four Roads league and also the Diggo league at Northern Ground. In dem days it was real pressure... Bravados, Klans, Professionals, Congo, and others. Players like Duck, Bing, Laddie, Wagga, Bara use tuh be in dey prime...etc.

Offline CK1

• Sr. Warrior
  • Man of Faith and Integrity
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 08, 2006, 10:42:33 AM »

Coops: This is a good post for the youngsters. This is when community support of football was big time.I had the pleasure of growing up watching (ah get meh first sweat when I was about 12 with dem big men) Grissom Gang (Russel and Emory Tesheria; Ian Garcia; Hanibal Najjar; the Mendez brothers Zulop etc.) play in the Mervina League. Talking about minor league...remember the league in the DRY RIVER on Piccadilly Street and the youth league between the plannings across from South East Sec.
There was also a league played between the buildings in Mango Rose...Shirly Mae Willis was on of the only females who use to play on a men's team on a regular basis.
Jesus Christ...King of Kings and Lord of Lords!

Offline Preacher

• We doh smoke or drink or pop pills. When we light the mic is strickly jess skills
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 08, 2006, 11:34:28 PM »
Coops after reading that lil bit a history ah feel good because I went San Juan Secondary.  Sometimes man does jess come and use thing and they ent know how it come...So my thanks.  I learn plently football just from that feild being available an I didn't even know it had history..hmm
In Everything give thanks for this is the will of God concerning you.

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2006, 11:43:09 PM »
Coops ,
That is when Football ruled the scenes; yuh bring back some ggod memories as yuh start tuh call  names like Leo Brewster.

You know that was back in that time; that is why  I see a great sense of hope when ah read Touches reports and Andre's and Oconner's. These men are brining back a 'die hard' fan to the game.

This generation (and some of them have experienced the  touch of the ole days,) are in some ways experiencing a renassiance of sorts  of football fever in TNT. Man Coops, the days of North South clashes were classic football on the island.

1]; } ?>