April 25, 2024, 03:40:38 PM

Author Topic: Littbarski walks from Sydney FC  (Read 3739 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Littbarski walks from Sydney FC
« on: May 03, 2006, 08:02:36 AM »
Littbarski walks from Sydney FC
By Glenn Cullen (The Australian)

03may06

SYDNEY FC is expected to name a new coach within days after Pierre Littbarski refused to accept a cut-price deal with the inaugural A-League champion.

Club CEO Tim Parker confirmed tonight Littbarski had called him last night to say he would not take up an offer – understood to be worth at least $250,000 less than his first season $700,000-package.

"He's decided to move on," said Parker, who confirmed a new coach could be named in a matter of days.

Parker would not elaborate on who the club had shortlisted but said there were three or four candidates and at least one of those was from overseas.

It is understood Central Coast mentor Lawrie McKinna, who surprised all by taking the Mariners through to the grand final against Sydney, is high on that list.

Negotiations with Littbarski – who did not return AAP's calls tonight – had been dragging on for months with the German initially angry at the offer that had been made to him.

But it was thought the two parties had come closer to an agreement in recent weeks and Parker said tonight he thought after the initial stumbling blocks that Littbarski would stay on.

"It was a bit of a surprise when he turned round and basically withdrew from negotiations which as far as we were concerned were complete," Parker said.

"I suspect he's had a better offer somewhere else but we wish him well, he has been a terrific coach for us."

While winning the new A-League competition and qualifying for the rich World Club Championship, Sydney FC has had financial problems with reports the club had incurred debts between $3-6 million in the first season.

Last month, Football Federation Australia chairman Frank Lowy substantially upped his stake in the cash-strapped club through his family company.

Parker said Sydney was simply in no position to offer Littbarski the same deal as he'd had.

"We just took stock ... at the end of the season when we evaluated our finances it was absolutely clear we could not afford to pay the coach what we had been paying him," said Parker, who admitted he expected Littbarski to walk away after the initial offer was tabled.

Parker said he was confident the club would get a "world class" coach even on a deal substantially less than what Littbarski had received.

"A lot of coaches have made their pile," he said.

"We now have the form on the board and Sydney is a very attractive place to come to so money isn't the only issue."

Marquee player Dwight Yorke – on a deal believed to be worth at least $900,000 a season – still has a year to run on his contract but there is speculation he will move on, particularly if he impresses with Trinidad and Tobago at next month's World Cup.

Offline Dutty

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Littbarski walks from Sydney FC
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2006, 09:25:51 AM »
Dwight salary causing real stress on dat team oui

and he still refusin to drive de people and dem hyundai
Little known fact: The online transportation medium called Uber was pioneered in Trinidad & Tobago in the 1960's. It was originally called pullin bull.

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2006, 09:28:38 AM »
Dwight should end his carrer in mls
jus like soon Beckham,Djorkaeff,soon Ronaldo

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2006, 09:32:23 AM »
I guess Littbarski could talk because he and Dwight turn that team around, got them a place in the Club Championships and make them winners of the Grand Final...if Yorke decides to stay hopefully he gets along just as well with the new coach and the team keep their league-winner status

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2006, 10:18:22 AM »
Yorke will definitely walk from that club. 
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2006, 10:32:52 AM »
Littbarski ain't taking that.  He is a recognisable name, so he probably feels that he couls get another job somewhere.  Yorkie need to come to the MLS and make some top dollars before he calls it a day, just like the other big names do.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2006, 10:37:43 AM »
Littbarski ain't taking that.  He is a recognisable name, so he probably feels that he couls get another job somewhere.  Yorkie need to come to the MLS and make some top dollars before he calls it a day, just like the other big names do.

I will get vex if Yorke goes to MLS

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2006, 11:36:17 AM »

Never happen. These men will retire outright that play in the MLS.
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline rippin

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2006, 01:09:58 PM »
The MLS cannot pay Dwight. Donovan, their poster boy, makes $900,000.
Beside all the talk bout Beckham and other men ending their career their is only hype. That is publicity.
Genius is one per cent inspiration, ninety-nine per cent perspiration. (Thomas A. Edison )

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2006, 01:13:14 PM »

I will get vex if Yorke goes to MLS

NOPE!!!!!

He already made top dollar. Time to come back to sweet TnT and make a contribution to the PFL.
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2006, 01:21:03 PM »
allyuh living with blinders yes!....doh know why allyuh feel Beckham would not come and play in the MLS.....the power of the almighty    $$$$$$$$$$$$[/color]$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$[/color][/b]

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2006, 01:29:32 PM »
bago suffering and allyuh want yorke to play fuh mls

stupessssssssssssssss
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2006, 02:18:21 PM »
How bout Coach/player Yorke at 1.2 Mill/season....everybody kool.. 8)

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2006, 02:27:05 PM »

stewps.

Jason are you on crack.

No way dwight would sink to mls level. NEVER.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2006, 02:37:25 PM »

stewps.

Jason are you on crack.

Regardless of how good or bad anyone opinion of the MLS, It is the premier league on the continent, and financially/marketably  the strongest league in the whole Concacaf, which have 4 representative in the world cup. So regardless of what you might think of the level of player, it is still a viable option, paywise and increasing personal marketing for any star in his twilight years

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2006, 02:43:01 PM »

stewps.

Jason are you on crack.

Regardless of how good or bad anyone opinion of the MLS, It is the premier league on the continent, and financially/marketably  the strongest league in the whole Concacaf, which have 4 representative in the world cup. So regardless of what you might think of the level of player, it is still a viable option, paywise and increasing personal marketing for any star in his twilight years

Marketing wise it is the best

I think the Mexican league is as good or even better than the MLS...it is very competitive and the level of players there could rival any of the usual big leagues....I remember Beenhakker revealing something along those lines as well.
I've watched a few Mexican league games on GOL TV and I have to tell you, it's more entertaining and fast paced than what I've seen on MLS. I think we don't know much about the Mexican league simply because of the language/culture barrier and the amount of media exposure.

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2006, 03:05:24 PM »
if yorkie goin anywhere is back to england
i hope  ???

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2006, 03:24:27 PM »

stewps.

Jason are you on crack.

Marketing wise it is the best

I think the Mexican league is as good or even better than the MLS...it is very competitive and the level of players there could rival any of the usual big leagues....I remember Beenhakker revealing something along those lines as well.
I've watched a few Mexican league games on GOL TV and I have to tell you, it's more entertaining and fast paced than what I've seen on MLS. I think we don't know much about the Mexican league simply because of the language/culture barrier and the amount of media exposure.

Did not comment on which is more entertaing or has better players ...Yet how many Mexican League players graduate to the socalled higher Euro leagues ? or How many world class players have moved to the more entertaining, better quality, or better paying Mexican league ?...finally you said the Mexican league is as good or even better than MLS, as good as, means it is lesser, and better , means it is greater...so in your opinon is it better or less....You used the entertainment value, but I think most fans of the MLS consider themselves entertained, and many may think they are watching the best in the region, plus a few best in the World....no mention those best in the world are at only 50-75 % of ability during their best days....The Mexican league is good and strong, but I don't think it can be compared to MLS, as far as Money and possibilties is concerned, regardless of the low pay many of it's players recieve....I did not really want to a breakdown and comparison on which league is better(is Bundesliga better than EPL, which is more popular as far as players is concerned) as much as I would like to state that the MLS is a pretty good league for it's age...and is not a step down for any star at the end of their career...

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2006, 03:48:25 PM »
Did not comment on which is more entertaing or has better players ...Yet how many Mexican League players graduate to the socalled higher Euro leagues ? or How many world class players have moved to the more entertaining, better quality, or better paying Mexican league ?
The answer is very little, with few exceptions. This is for the same reason you find this concept among the so-called "higher" leagues in Europe...there is little interchange between the big-league countries because they prioritize and want to reserve their best talent for their respective domestic league. Which is why you barely see Italians in England or Spain, or vice versa.

...finally you said the Mexican league is as good or even better than MLS, as good as, means it is lesser, and better , means it is greater...so in your opinon is it better or less....
No, in "as good as" i mean "as good as". I don't mean lesser. But I agree that by "better" i meant better/greater. So in my opinion, it simply means as good as, or better.

You used the entertainment value, but I think most fans of the MLS consider themselves entertained, and many may think they are watching the best in the region, plus a few best in the World....
I guess this is entirely subjective, as English-speaking countries in the Western Hemisphere will likely receive MLS coverage over Mexican. I doubt that those who think watching MLS is watching the best in the region are of Latin descent.

The Mexican league is good and strong, but I don't think it can be compared to MLS, as far as Money and possibilties is concerned, regardless of the low pay many of it's players recieve

again this goes to media exposure and audience subjectivity, but in terms of Money, the MLS has the advantage.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 03:50:10 PM by Grande man »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2006, 03:58:38 PM »

stewps.

Jason are you on crack.

I'm not so sure about that. The Mexican is probably more viable than the MLS. Football is still growing in the US whereas in Mexico it's already established and the players can earn a very good living without having to leave Mexico.
I do understand your point about players coming here to end their careers.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »
That was my only point, Point-man and Grande-man, not which league is better, but which is better as far as any Stoichov ,Dwight Yorke, or Beckham or ah Djoka or even Romario...so whiich league you will go pay to see, if yuh woulda pay to see at all ?

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2006, 04:14:18 PM »
Did not comment on which is more entertaing or has better players ...Yet how many Mexican League players graduate to the socalled higher Euro leagues ? or How many world class players have moved to the more entertaining, better quality, or better paying Mexican league ?
The answer is very little, with few exceptions. This is for the same reason you find this concept among the so-called "higher" leagues in Europe...there is little interchange between the big-league countries because they prioritize and want to reserve their best talent for their respective domestic league. Which is why you barely see Italians in England or Spain, or vice versa.

...finally you said the Mexican league is as good or even better than MLS, as good as, means it is lesser, and better , means it is greater...so in your opinon is it better or less....
No, in "as good as" i mean "as good as". I don't mean lesser. But I agree that by "better" i meant better/greater. So in my opinion, it simply means as good as, or better.

You used the entertainment value, but I think most fans of the MLS consider themselves entertained, and many may think they are watching the best in the region, plus a few best in the World....
I guess this is entirely subjective, as English-speaking countries in the Western Hemisphere will likely receive MLS coverage over Mexican. I doubt that those who think watching MLS is watching the best in the region are of Latin descent.

The Mexican league is good and strong, but I don't think it can be compared to MLS, as far as Money and possibilties is concerned, regardless of the low pay many of it's players recieve

again this goes to media exposure and audience subjectivity, but in terms of Money, the MLS has the advantage.

Grande I'm not so sure about that, unless you guys have the comparative figures.  Having spent a lot of time in Mexico and attending some of the games I'm not so sure that just because the MLS is here in the US that necessarily means that they are more financially viable than Mexico's professional league.

The marketing of the local teams, in Mexico and other Central American countries and among Mexicans here in the States, is quite impressive. There may not be many Mexican players who "graduate" to the European leagues but there are many Latin players who play in the Mexican leagues. There are Brazilians, Argentinians, Colombians, Chilians etc playing there. Even Francios Omam Biak from Cameroon(who poisoned Argentina BTW ;D ) played in their league.

If you ever get a chance to watch some of the bigger rivalries in the Mexican league the stadiums(cap 50,000+) are always packed to capacity and the marketing of these games are heavy.

They also have expansion teams coming into the league from time to time. Acapulco just built a huge satdium to house sure a team.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2006, 04:17:13 PM »
That was my only point, Point-man and Grande-man, not which league is better, but which is better as far as any Stoichov ,Dwight Yorke, or Beckham or ah Djoka or even Romario...so whiich league you will go pay to see, if yuh woulda pay to see at all ?

Perhaps I'm a bit biased but I would watch Mexican football over MLS anyday.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2006, 04:45:16 PM »

Grande I'm not so sure about that, unless you guys have the comparative figures.  Having spent a lot of time in Mexico and attending some of the games I'm not so sure that just because the MLS is here in the US that necessarily means that they are more financially viable than Mexico's professional league.

The marketing of the local teams, in Mexico and other Central American countries and among Mexicans here in the States, is quite impressive. There may not be many Mexican players who "graduate" to the European leagues but there are many Latin players who play in the Mexican leagues. There are Brazilians, Argentinians, Colombians, Chilians etc playing there. Even Francios Omam Biak from Cameroon(who poisoned Argentina BTW ;D ) played in their league.

If you ever get a chance to watch some of the bigger rivalries in the Mexican league the stadiums(cap 50,000+) are always packed to capacity and the marketing of these games are heavy.

They also have expansion teams coming into the league from time to time. Acapulco just built a huge satdium to house sure a team.

Thanks for the insight Pointman.
The media attention has even influenced my argument...having lived in places with significant U.S. media influence (Trinidad and Canada), I had said that MLS was stronger money-wise due to corporate sponsorship and investment/advertising, as well as the U.S. priority on sport as a whole. But I suppose this does not mean they are more financially viable than Mexico's football leagues like you said.

I also forgot to mention the amount of South Americans and Central Americans playin in Mexico, so it is a similar concept of European prestige leagues and neighboring recruits.

Maxg, I have to say I would pay to watch Mexican football over the MLS...that is not even a question for me. Maybe I too am biased.  :beermug:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2006, 09:33:35 PM »
I wouldn't  pay to watch either, but if ah had a choice as a free TV channel, I would choose MLS, simply because I might get to see one or 2 of my own country men...I definately biased

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2006, 09:49:02 PM »
everyone  have their opinion on which league yorke should end his career in so personally i think he should end it in a league that the whole world recognise and it sure ain't the MLS shit i rather watch intercol than watch the MLS league it's way to boring

Offline dcs

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T 4 COP
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2006, 09:54:40 PM »
Mexican football is way better than MLS on all counts.
Look at attendance if you want....TV ratings...quality of the broadcast....enthusiasm of the fans...size of the league.
Even if you watch the games you will see a huge difference in quality of play.  Look at the football fields and stadia...MLS now looking to get proper stadia.  They does play some games on freakin astro-turf with the breeze blowing the ball away on freekicks!!
I surprised you'll even talking bout MLS on the Mexican league level....not even close.  If you'll want figures it buried somewhere here on the board.

Claudio Lopez play there.  We had some salaries posted here a while back.
Mr Romano, who has reversed first-division Cruz Azul's fortunes since taking over last December, is said to earn a monthly salary of up to $100,000 (£57,000).
Look one coach making must be as much as Leo.  O and doh forget Leo coach there too.

I doubt Dwight will enjoy MLS...at this point that is all that really matter.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:04:16 PM by dcs »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2006, 10:36:49 PM »
So if a Dwight Yorke has to go a League, now, in the twilight of his career, which League should he go to ? The better Mexican league - around longer, better faster players, more open play....or weaker MLS ? where he will have to work at a slightly slower pace, probably won't get any real football development benefit, and would probably make slightly less money, and have a greater following and fan base ? and which league would you watch then ? I repeat the Mexican league has been around for nearly a century, and MLS is just a few years, it is difficult to compare ...but it will improve with age and development..
« Last Edit: May 03, 2006, 10:38:55 PM by maxg »

1]; } ?>