April 19, 2024, 05:23:16 AM

Author Topic: Soca Warriors Online Exclusive Interview with Leo Beenhakker.  (Read 22216 times)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Soca Warriors Online Exclusive Interview with Leo Beenhakker.
Interview Conducted By: Inshan "Flex" Mohammed.

Flex 1 - In the past you have qualified teams such as Holland and Saudi Arabia for the World Cup. Now your most recent achievement would be qualifying Trinidad and Tobago to the big dance, in Germany. My question, how did you feel when you qualified a country that has never been to a World Cup and created history in the process compare to the others.

Leo Beenhakker - It was a great feeling no doubt. We knew we were the smallest nation to qualify but football is the same everywhere and you treat each job with the same respect and you have the same ambitions.

Flex 2 - Who was the one person responsible in bringing you to T&T. Who made the contact then.

Leo Beenhakker - I was contacted by the TTFF, the main person was Mr Jack Warner. All the arrangements went through him.

Flex 3 - Now that the qualifying stage is over. Do you think Russell Latapy will make a good assistant on your staff, possible after the World Cup now. Also, do you think he has the right attitude/knowledge to be head coach of T&T one day.

Leo Beenhakker - Russell is  a great player. I am sure he has ambitions to coach.

Flex 4 - Judging from the time spent in T&T, lets say you leave after the World Cup is over. Will you ever return on vacation. What parts on Trinidad and, Tobago do you like to visit the most.

Leo Beenhakker - That’s in the future.

Flex 5 - When you look for players to join your team. What exactly do you look for.

Leo Beenhakker - We all have our ways of selecting a team and this is a thorough process along with my assistants to determine the best team possible for the task ahead of us.

Flex 6 - For 2010 and beyond. Do you think we have the right infrastructures in place to repeat the 2006 success. Also, did you manager to see any special young talents coming up.

Leo Beenhakker - I have said before that this should be the start of something beautiful and not the end because we qualified. You build on talent and you try to develop football at all levels. At the end of the World Cup it starts all over again. The Federation will see about this because it’s a big boost to get to the World Cup.

Flex 7 - If you were asked to stay on after your contract has expired. Will you consider, if yes, specifically more like 60-40, 70-30 or 50-50 chance of staying on.

Leo Beenhakker - That’s in the future!

Flex 8 - Please note that you are very loved on the Soca Warriors Online (www.socawarriors.net) by many, if not all. Have you ever visited the Soca Warriors Online, if yes, what's your thoughts and will you ever return, if no, will you consider surfing on one day.

Leo Beenhakker - Thank you for the love. Keep supporting.

Flex 9 - Which T&T Pro-League (PFL) teams do you like the most and why. Also, how do you think we can improve the league both the standard and the supportive/attendance part.

Leo Beenhakker - No favourite teams but the league can only grow with continued support and a good level of competition.

Flex 10 - Many feel that England and Sweden will be our biggest test in Germany. I say, Paraguay maybe the surprise team in the group (T&T apart, wink)... Any thoughts on this. What's your take on our three opponents. Despite your outmost respect for them.

Leo Beenhakker - Paraguay brings that South American style which I like very much but we will prepare for them and maybe we are best suited to play them in relation to our style. Almost all our players are based in the UK so we have an idea how to play England. We know the English style of play and we also know what to expect from Sweden. We shall prepare in the best possible way for these teams.

Flex 11 - Generally speaking, people from T&T should be the last to question your team selection as you have done what no other has ever done before. But just for argument sake, do you think that PFL top scorers Josh Johnson, Kerry Noray, exciting Arnold Dwarika, talented Evans Wise and hard working finisher Scott Sealy should have been around your team a little more that would have given them a better evaluation and a chance to make your final 24.

Leo Beenhakker - We have seen all these players and we went through the process very carefully. For no time was there too much time for players to train for longer periods around the full national team.

Flex 12 - Lets say you have decided to leave after the World Cup is done and returned to your native Country, you were offered a job with a Dutch Pro Team (PSV for example). They asked you bring over for trial or, sign, 4 T&T players. Who will you consider and, why.

Leo Beenhakker - No answer.

Note:
On behalf on the Soca Warriors Online members, we say thank you Mr. Leo Beenhakker for taking the time out to do this Q&A Interview for us. We wish you all the best in the future and the World Cup with T&T. May Gob Bless you and your family.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 06:35:06 PM by Flex »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Soca Warriors Online Exclusive Interview with Leo Beenhakker.
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2006, 06:27:07 PM »
Wow yuh get the Big One dey Flex

Congrats :applause: :applause: :applause:

Offline redtrinigirl

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • A Trini In London
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2006, 06:35:33 PM »
Note Beenie not being drawn into discussing nothing regarding the future beyond de world cup, nor anything even close to his personal opinion. If was a trini coach, he done talk whey de interview.

I like him, very professional. Even the arrogance cool, cause he have enough on his CV to back it up.
Attraction of the Mind gives Respect.
Attraction of the Heart gives Friendship.
Attraction of the Body gives Desire.

Attraction of all Three of them at once …
gives Love.

[

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2006, 06:46:40 PM »
He could ah answer question 12  :D
I just think leo will leave/Quit after the world cup.
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2006, 06:51:37 PM »
this is the last interview i would ever read of beenie

i still love and respect him but he is just not ah people person

ah simple question like if yuh go ever come back to trini on vacation or ah visit and yuh cyar answer it

stupesss

flex thanks fuh de interview tho and i know it must have been alot of hard work putting this in place :beermug:
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Sando

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2006, 06:55:31 PM »
Nice questions, the answers (so so).

Good Luck in Germany.

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2006, 07:44:55 PM »
He is a very good coach, but personally i think he is an asshole when it come to people interaction.
No class or tact whatever.
I sure yorke and latas jus have a footballing relationship with him.
Need to learn some people skills from Rene Simoes.
Jus my 2 cents.

Good job Flexos!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2006, 08:04:34 PM by Trini »

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2006, 08:18:39 PM »
The confidence necessary. Arrogance is saying you can/will do someting and not doing it. Confidence is saying you can....and doing it. Yuh ever see how henry does be on a field??? Different to how he is off it. Plus Beenie is a tactical man.......think fast....talk slow........and always leave them wanting more. De confidence....all that adds to doing what you need to do. Is de cageyness......men like James Bond and ting does use dat.
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline supporter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2006, 08:54:12 PM »
good questions flex, pity he avoided some of them. Btw, do you pose this interview thru email? because its like he would fail to answer  multiple questions, i.e. have you ever visited sw online.
Hart for president

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2006, 10:05:10 PM »
Thanks Flex

thanks fuh bigging up de forum to beenie although de man eh answer the question  ;D

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2006, 10:11:30 PM »
Thanks Flexos...greatly appreciated.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline triniairman

• Hero Warrior
  • ah doh puh water in meh mouth to talk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2006, 10:21:23 PM »
the way beenie answer some of them question he remind me of Chelsea coach short answers and way to serious hey i still think good of him.Thanks Flex

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2006, 10:34:03 PM »
nice interview Flex...De man just stright foward and seems to be not much of a talker...As longs as he do he job he cool!!

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2006, 11:19:57 PM »
The man is steadfastly apolitical. Flex, yuh should have known he would not answer those questions, from his other interviews.
He does not answer questions he does not know ? or will not answer a question that may rub somebody he has to deal with the wrong way ?
Q 3 : He couldn't say be negative, and he couldn't say yes , cause of Corneal.
also,Q6,Q9
Q4,7,12,.Hypothetical

Q8. Can't answer, we bash his Boss, we are not supposed to be more knowledable that coaches and adminstartors, it will be an embarrassment to them.

I appreciate your effort still, and even though I myself would not have thought of better- in terms of getting a more response from him - questions.. mainly cause what you asked is what every fan want to know, I think you may have built up a better rapport, if you had asked him  stuff he knows and could talk about. By the end I think he felt, yuh wasn't getting that he don't like those type of questions.

So you should where possible observe the subject in other interviews first and see what type of questions they avoid...Extra work I know, but It only a suggestion to improve your technique, and not a criticism of a fine attempt by you...Thanks Flex

ps: I also found personally that you get more pertinent info, if you have the oppurtunity - a one on one - to keep a conversation and write it up, as opposed to pointed questions...but I never interviewed anybody, but I spoke with a lot of big wigs by fluke, to the tune people thought we were old aquaintances.. I am sure Sean could coach us on asking pointed questions...

I hope you don't mind I put this here, as it could be a learning process for all of us...since we are now reaching a lot more people than before.

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2006, 02:59:47 AM »
Flex, yuh reach..... big up...

He answers could have been a little more in depth, he dont have to tell us his whole life story, but he could have done better. He show no love for the supporters despite what he said, he is just here to do his job and nothing more I guess.
Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2006, 04:19:40 AM »
Well done Flex.

I was too scared to stall he fuh occoner at the Greneda match.

great interview.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline LICKS4SO

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2006, 06:05:42 AM »
Flex...yuh shoudda give him two shots ah ba bash before that one. I thought it was a tough interview. But hey, you cannot deny the results..
two goals in england wire

Offline Arimaman

• Arima Compre
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2006, 06:20:33 AM »
Beenieman is the ultimate spinner, he eh really answer no questions.....
Arimian to meh heart

Offline samo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2006, 07:12:04 AM »
Great job Flex... Great job Beenie.. Yuh have my vote 1000%

Offline chelsea64

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2006, 07:28:48 AM »
Nice one Flex.

Beenie answer some of those questions with a straighter bat than Geoff Boycott on a run chase.
Come on the Chels.

Offline grimm01

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2006, 08:20:09 AM »
beenie move like a politician there. he answer the questions without answering them.

because the man so non-comittal about the future, ah wonder if that means he not sticking around? by not commenting on that aspect, to me, it seems like he trying to keep the players focused on the WC as opposed to what happening next.

good job Flex!

Offline Tongue

• Hero Warrior
  • Blue is the Colour.....Chelsea Chelsea Chelsea
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2006, 08:52:15 AM »
Well done Flex! much appreciated.... DonLeo in the business too look to open up himself. I am sure this is not the first time he has been ask these type of questions and should not be a shock to anybody how he responded based on other interviews he did.

Offline spideybuff

• Hero Warrior
  • Certant omnes sed non omnibus palma
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2006, 10:20:22 AM »
The Don knows you can't trust the media, he probably get burn multiple times in the past so he making sure to not say anything that can be misquoted.
Anybody recalls what the results were for Saudi Arabia under him?
You either die the hero or live long enough to become the villain

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2006, 10:37:07 AM »
this is the last interview i would ever read of beenie

i still love and respect him but he is just not ah people person

ah simple question like if yuh go ever come back to trini on vacation or ah visit and yuh cyar answer it

stupesss

flex thanks fuh de interview tho and i know it must have been alot of hard work putting this in place :beermug:

Is like Beenie really just want to focus on the present, cause he ain't want no distractions.  But really speaking, he ain't no people person, and in all his interviews, there is that touch of bravado.  I guess he knows what he has achieved in his career, and he is not interviewing for te next job.  Beenie is he own man, and if people don't like that, he willing to up and ride. 

Offline Padams

• Sr. Warrior
  • Great are the Warriors///We shall Prevail!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Warrior Nation
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2006, 10:51:54 AM »
Those answers were so Beenhakker.....still it was great interview.

Good Job Flex

Iz not Pre-Marital Sex, if yuh have no intention 2 geh Married..........

Offline DeSoWa

• Hero Warrior
  • Life. Passion. FOOTBALL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2006, 11:16:23 AM »
Splendid work Flex..Don Leo appeared a little cold in his responses, but ah guess he playing it safe...

Big Up!
Warrior Nation Member

Forward Thinking does not mean you cannot reflect on the Past!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2006, 11:58:09 AM »
Good work Flex but in all the interviews I have seen and heard with Beenie, he is a man who keeps his cards close to his chest, he neither denies or confirms much of anything and leaves you with more questions than answers.

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2006, 11:59:12 AM »

big up for the article flex

Offline christiano

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2006, 12:09:02 PM »
Splendid work Flex..Don Leo appeared a little cold in his responses, but ah guess he playing it safe...

Big Up!

Leo know that he is only here for a time ! He is not going to get caught up with the "politics" of supporters, journalists and the public generally. Professionall International coaches rarely do that because then people will want to treat them like boboolies !! And you know Trinis ! Everybody feel they is a coach and they know more than Beenie himself !!!!

Beenie is a real professional !

Offline skins

• Barca4ever
  • Hero Warrior
  • orginally from san do
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2006, 12:14:04 PM »
Good Work Flex..... Keep it up

1]; } ?>