April 25, 2024, 11:56:39 PM

Author Topic: Brian Lara Stadium  (Read 57032 times)

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Brian Lara Stadium costing more than the Airport to build.
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2011, 04:58:25 PM »
Getting back to the stadium. Patos has no legs to stand on this one. This was a good project. South people deserved a first class cricket stadium for international games. He alowed Udecott and Karamath to scew up this project.

truetrini

« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2011, 05:19:35 PM »
People should make ah jail.

Offline Brownsugar

• Hero Warrior
  • Soca in mih veins, Soca in mih blood!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2011, 06:36:29 PM »
People should make ah jail.

HA!.....yeah right......in this jokey 2 x 4 country....never!!!....
"...If yuh clothes tear up
Or yuh shoes burst off,
You could still jump up when music play.
Old lady, young baby, everybody could dingolay...
Dingolay, ay, ay, ay ay,
Dingolay ay, ay, ay..."

RIP Shadow....The legend will live on in music...

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2011, 08:01:49 PM »
I hope the press writes and calypsoians sing about this corruption to.. like they did with the Piarco Airport under Panday.

..........like Sugar Aloes and Cro Cro....those masters of the artform??... ::) ::)
Their best work are political songs during non-PNM years.

Joh Gol, that's not true. PNM got it good when they were in power. Go and research all them kaiso from Sparrow, Chalkie, Valentino, Stalin, Shorty, Luta and many more. Aloes and Cro-Cro are very partisan. But that is their choice. You don't have to support them.
Yeah I was referring to those two guys in particular. Not lashing them eh , Ish and Dole Chadee Say are 2 of the greatest songs in the artform. But I was disappointed with them.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2011, 08:06:12 PM »

Offline Trini1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 09, 2011, 04:24:41 AM »
worst thing is it doh even look nice. It already looking outdated with that square building in the middle.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2011, 04:27:56 AM by Trini1 »

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #66 on: June 09, 2011, 04:46:45 AM »
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2011, 08:52:37 AM »
dat photo looking like d starship enterprise...

Beam me up Scotty!!
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
« Reply #68 on: June 19, 2011, 06:05:38 AM »
Colossal waste of $$
By CAROL MATROO (Newsday)
 Sunday, June 19 2011

The Brian Lara Cricket Stadium was the first phase of what was supposed to serve as a billion-dollar multi-purpose complex in Tarouba, South Trinidad.

When it was conceptualised in 2003 by the former People’s National Movement regime under Prime Minister Patrick Manning, it was originally budgeted at $272 million.

To date, and after $1.1 billion in expenditure, the stadium has not been completed, and it is uncertain whether it will, or can reach the finished stage to accommodate spectators and cricketers alike.

Describing the construction of the seemingly ill-fated project as “a travesty and disgrace”, Sports and Youth Affairs Minister, Anil Roberts, a former sports co-ordinator/adviser to former Sport and Youth Affairs Minister Roger Boynes, told the Sunday Newsday that his Government has “no idea whatsoever” when or if the stadium will be completed.

“It all depends on the experts, after they’re finished with that analysis of the readiness, the safety, the structural content, they will dictate. If they say it could be finished in two months, well, all right, but we have to wait for that report. Based on the (John) Uff inquiry, report and analysis of forensic engineer Mr (Gerry) McCaffrey, I would say there is a possibility that it cannot be finished at all,” Roberts said.

“There is one possibility that it could be finished at X amount and there is another possibility, based on the poor workmanship, the poor design, the poor steel work, the poor wells, there is a distinct possibility that it may never be able to be made safe for people to utilise it. And if it is completed at over $1.3 billion, you, your grandchildren, my great grandchildren, would be dead and gone and you could never generate the revenue to pay back for that facility.”

He added, “Remember, it’s people’s lives we’re talking about. When people go to watch a cricket match, 12,000 people jumping and screaming, you have to ensure that the facility that they are in is structurally secure. No responsible government would put people in jeopardy like that.”

Roberts added that even if the stadium was completed there was no way that anybody could make it worth the while, as a stadium of that size would require some $500,000 to $900,000 a month to maintain. He claimed this was the reason he burned his PNM party card in 2005.

Professor John Uff, QC, from the United Kingdom, who was appointed chairman of the Commission of Inquiry that was set up to investigate the Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (Udecott) and the construction sector, described the project as “nothing short of scandalous, a disaster, a national disgrace” and raised “serious alarm” during the inquiry proceedings.

McCaffrey was the Scottish construction expert hired to give evidence during the inquiry.

Hafeez Karamath Limited (HKL) meanwhile was at the centre of the questionable payment of millions worth of advances on the project, especially after issues of poor workmanship on the project arose.

In his final report handed in to President George Maxwell Richards, Uff detailed a litany of problems at the project, including the decision of Udecott: to award contracts to and pay HKL millions for the mobilisation of materials without checks as to the materials’ existence, to overpay HKL and the failure of Udecott to adequately explain discrepancies to the tens of millions in Udecott’s payment certificates unearthed by Mc Caffrey during his probe.

Uff’s was a scathing report, and after detailed information was supplied by forensics engineer McCaffrey, he was not rehired by the then PNM government. Former Planning Minister Colm Imbert was on record as saying then that it was too expensive.

The Uff report described the Tarouba Stadium as “an absolute disgrace from start to finish and the worst example of procurement, project management and conceptual design that they had ever seen”.

In addition to recommending a full investigation by law enforcement authorities into former Udecott executive chairman Calder Hart and the entire Udecott board in relation to the project, Uff called for the contractor, HKL, to be fired immediately.

Udecott, a special purpose company set up by the Manning regime to oversee major government projects, is again under scrutiny, this time by Canadian forensic expert Bob Lindquist, who arrived in Trinidad on Tuesday.

Lindquist was contracted by the People’s Partnership Government to conduct a two-week forensic probe into the misappropriation of billions of funds from the State-owned Udecott.

Lindquist, a forensic accountant who investigates multi-million dollar white-collar crimes, has visited this country on several occasions to conduct forensic audits. This will be his second investigation of Udecott, as he had been hired by the previous PNM administration in 2009, a fact that was only made public in 2010 by former Attorney General John Jeremie.

Roberts claimed that the order for the construction of the stadium came “from on high”, and that his advice to Boynes that the concept could not work was ignored back then before work started. However, the project fell under the Ministry of Planning, which was headed by former Planning Minister Camille Robinson-Regis.

“I immediately advised Boynes that this was a concept that could not work. It was wrong, it was a waste of money and we should not go ahead with it. It was not only a cricket stadium, it was budgeted originally at $272 million. It included an aquatic centre, astro-turf hockey pitches, 400-metre running track, dormitories and a cycling track for a total budget of $850 million

“I advised him then that that was a waste of money. If you wanted to spend $850 million in sport we should do it in each and every community across Trinidad and Tobago. He could not listen because it (instruction to construct facility) came from well above,” Roberts said.

He added that his advice to Manning and former Public Administration minister Dr Lenny Saith, against forging ahead with the project, was also ignored back then.

“They concocted several different reasons why it must go ahead. You will then remember Patrick Manning saying first and foremost, the Brian Lara Cricket Stadium was a requirement for the Brown Package for Cricket World Cup 2007. The World Cup has come and gone, we hosted it so that was totally untrue,” Roberts said.

He said there were over 370 stop work orders on the project because of poor wells, poor steel, poor infrastructure and poor foundation, because the type of soil the stadium was built on was not suitable for a project of that size, adding that a feasibility study and soil survey were never done before the start of construction.

The minister said with people’s safety in mind, a full analysis and study of every piece of structure and steel had to be done, costing even more millions of dollars.

The stadium was supposed to be constructed in order for TT to acquire the “Brown Package” for the Cricket World Cup 2007. That package would have seen TT hosting at the Tarouba venue. However, due to the contractor’s failure to complete the venue on time, TT eventually hosted its Group B matches at the Queen’s Park Oval and University of the West Indies ground in St Augustine. Across the Caribbean, however, many Caricom governments – Guyana, Grenada, Antigua, St Kitts – built stadia where the average cost per seat was TT$5,000.

Roberts said at present, the cost per seat of the cricket stadium in Tarouba stood at a whopping $106,000 per seat, an average of $100,000 more than any where else in the Caribbean.

“Furthermore, as we are talking about seats, many people may or may not remember, a few years ago when I interviewed Calder Hart I asked him about the $31 million extra dollars that were requested for seats that had been purchased before. He promised to answer in 48 hours and it has now been three years.

“The people of TT paid, according to the PNM and Calder Hart, $31 million for seats. The Jamaicans were having problems with their stadium in preparation for 2007. Calder Hart admitted that our seats that we purchased were sent across to Jamaica. Nothing is wrong with that, we help out our Caribbean neighbours

“However, what happened after, former Minister of Sport Roger Boynes, in answering a question and accounting to the Parliament about the overruns at that time, said that an extra $31 million was needed to purchase seats,” he said.

Roberts said, however, that Hart had said then the same supplier for the seats had replaced them, and questioned why an extra $31 million was required.

“I would like to know into whose pocket that money went? It is quite a shame and I hope that at some point the people of TT can at least get some benefits from that stadium, because with $1.3 billion we could have built a full aquatic centre with three 50-metre pools, 25-metre pool, diving well and fun pool for kids

“Also we could have built the cycling velodrome – the 250-metre indoor wooden track. We could have built the tennis centre. We could have built 12 community sporting indoor regional centres for netball, volleyball, basketball and other sports. We could have fixed also within that $1.3 billion 164 recreation grounds with lighting pavilion, jogging track, play park and exercise equipment for the people of TT and still have $300 million change. There is absolutely no way we can recoup this money, none whatsoever, no way. Not even with all the blessings of the Supreme Being,” Roberts charged.

He said to try to recoup some of the monies spent on the stadium, Government would have to host other activities, including concerts, cultural and religious events, as well as develop a multi- purpose facility underneath the main stand with a gym, waiting rooms and gymnastics.

“You could try all of that and if you use all of that, a 100 years will pass and we will never be able to recoup that money. It is the most ridiculous investment in the history of TT. People want to talk about the airport, at least we could go in and out,” he claimed.

Roberts said he did not blame Boynes, as he “was not on the hierarchy of things”. He said Manning had, on seven different occasions, defended the project, saying that “any Tom, Dick or Harrilal could say what they want, the Tarouba Stadium will be built”. Manning had also suggested that the stadium would be used as a tsunami shelter.

“The other one, the all powerful one, the one who acted as prime minister, Lenny Saith, also defended it, saying that it was a requirement of the Brown Package and that it will be built. So I cannot in good conscience blame Roger Boynes. He was but a small fry, he had no choice when the big boys dictate ... so I cannot blame him at all. He was low on the pecking order.

“When a prime minister and an acting prime minister say that it must be built, a mere minister of sport has no choice, so it is not Roger Boynes’ fault in any way, although I would have suggested that he resign at that time before they got rid of him. When he agreed with me he should have packed up his bags and walked. He decided to stay quiet and later the two big men who made the terrible decision ended up getting rid of him and his political career was over,” Roberts said.

The minister also claimed the tendering process for the stadium was flawed from the start, alleging that former Udecott executive chairman Hart, who has since left the country, usurped the authority of the Tenders’ Committee.

“He did what he wanted. He fired the project engineers, then hired others to do it. They did not. They approved $124 million initial pay out. You give a mobilisation fee when a project is started. Maybe ten percent, at the highest 15 percent, so for that project at $272 million, maybe a mobilisation fee would have been $27 million.

“Udecott, under Calder Hart, before a tractor even moved, paid out $124 million to the contractor. Never in the history of any project in the world has that happened. So a company has done nothing and they pocket $124 million?

“And then they try to expedite because they said it was for World Cup 2007 and they put extra costs on in order to try and make the deadline. They did not make the deadline yet they continued to work at the accelerated extra cost pace.

“It is a travesty, it is a disgrace. That is why when I tell you forget politics and anything named PNM should never raise its head in this country whether to walk, to talk or to squawk. They have no shame,” Roberts declared.

Contacted on the issue, Boynes said if the Brian Lara Stadium had indeed incurred such high costs, then a forensic report should be done on the entire Tarouba project.

“I do not know that this is the actual figure because I don’t have a breakdown, and as former minister I wouldn’t like to comment on something from a factual perspective that may not be correct. What I have to say is that it is a project that I would like to see completed, but I am, however, concerned at the cost because I find that Udecott should have managed that project better so that cost would not have been where it is today.”

He added, “What has to be done is a forensic analysis into that entire project in the interest of the nation. All of us who are paying taxes and the entire country, that’s our money and we have to find out why it is that the cost has gone to that amount. After the analysis, deal with it and let the chips fall where they may.

“Whoever is culpable for wasting taxpayers’ money, let them be dealt with. The law is the law. This has always been my position on that.”

The former minister also denied that Roberts had advised him against building the stadium, saying if he (Roberts) did so, then it would be in writing and filed at the ministry.

“How would he have advised the prime minister? In what capacity? How would he have advised Dr Saith? I won’t know if he met with the then prime minister and Dr Saith and advised them about the stadium. I can’t remember if he had said anything negative about it. I remember in the beginning Anil was supporting the whole venture.

“Then after a while he started to complain about it. At one point the idea was good to have an academy relating to different sporting facilities and training and that sort of thing. I also recall some time on the media he (Roberts) was in fact talking against it, saying it was costing too much money and that we should focus on proper coaching and so on. I don’t know if it was in that regard he was talking about,” Boynes recalled.

He said he and Roberts did speak about coaching, which was why, during his (Boynes’) tenure, his ministry focused on bringing in coaches from different sporting disciplines.

“That is the one thing Anil and I had in common, so in a sense we did talk about Tarouba, but I don’t know if he had written to me, I cannot recall. I do recall Anil was supportive in the initial stages because the idea was a good one,” he said.

Boynes said during an interview on a radio talk show, on which he was one of the guests, he had indicated that he did not believe the stadium would be ready in time for the World Cup, which was why his ministry had a “Plan B”in place. That was to use the University of the West Indies, St Augustine as the warm up ground and the Queen’s Park Oval for World Cup Cricket.

Boynes was also quick to stress that the Tarouba Project fell under the direction of the Ministry of Planning

“I simply advised that from my ministry’s perspective, that it would not be ready in time for World Cup. Everything that fell under the Ministry of Sport to do, it did. I would not have any information about anything under the Ministry of Planning because the project was never really under Sport and Youth Affairs.

“Ask me anything else under sport and I’ll tell you exactly where it stood, where it is. It was under Udecott, the company that was chosen by the Parliament to construct the Brian Lara Stadium,” he said

Boynes added, “I think the concept is a very good one and I think at the time when the project started, we all bought into the project. The project was one of having a sporting academy that would service several sporting disciplines. In terms of where it is at this stage, I don’t know where it is at this stage.”

Several attempts to contact Saith were unsuccessful.

The "tracks" at the incomplete Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba are now overgrown with grass.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #69 on: June 19, 2011, 07:51:32 AM »
This project is a disgrace. People should be prosecuted for what happened here. I will support a move to complete the project nonetheless.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 20, 2011, 06:13:06 AM »
when this stadium completed...who will be responsible for upkeeping it...??

Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline zuluwarrior

• Hero Warrior
  • use your tongue to count your teeth
    • View Profile
    • http://pointalive.com
Toruba/Brian Lara Stadium
« Reply #71 on: August 11, 2012, 04:01:27 PM »
Brian Lara Stadium

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

Brian Lara Stadium

Ground information

Trinidad

Establishment

Capacity

As of 21 February 2009
 Source: Brian Lara Stadium, Cricinfo

Brian Lara Stadium is a multi-purpose stadium in Tarouba, Trinidad and Tobago that is currently under construction. When completed in 2007, it will be used mostly for cricket matches and was supposed to host matches during the 2007 Cricket World Cup, however ongoing delays in construction have forced its exclusion. It will hold 15,000 people. It is named for Brian Lara, who until 17 October 2008 was the all-time leading run scorer in Test cricket, when he was surpassed by Sachin Tendulkar.

Development of the Stadium
 The Brian Lara Stadium is one of the most controversial stadia built in the Republic of Trinidad and Tobago and the fact that it is under the state company UDeCOTT, does not help the situation. The initial cost (2006) of the stadium was $500 million TT dollars however, with the cost overruns and the increase in prices of materials, this amount has increased significantly. The Chairman of UDECOTT, as of June 2008 placed the approximate completion date at July 2008, some 2 years after the initial estimated handover.

Tarouba Complex
 The Brian Lara Stadium is part of a large complex situated on 180 acres (0.73 km2) of farm lands in Tarouba, Trinidad with a cost of $850 million TT dollars. It was designed by Hellmuth, Obalat & Kassabum, a US architectural firm. An aquatic centre. Olympic-sized cycling velodrome. Indoor gymnasium. School for training of athletes. A large car park, new roads and other infrastructural works. The Brian Lara stadium and cricket academy.

View across the stands in the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba
This stadium will serve as a training facility for cricket players. It will feature four indoor cricket training pitches with computerised biometric technology to measure an athlete’s performance, including two full-length run-up pitches for fast-bowlers. Patrons at the stadium will have an unhindered view from every area of the facility, including the concessionaires area. It also has areas specifically designed for the print, radio and television media, respectively. The facility may also see the construction of a hotel in the future.

If only politics did not get in the way we might of been producing better athletes by now .

Andre Errol Baptiste please make your information about this place public so Trinbago would know the truth .

20yrs of planning going to waste ask Brina Lara ,Ken Butcher,Baker .

Mods i know this thread is somewhere in here please fit this in .

good things happening to good people: a good thing
good things happening to bad people: a bad thing
bad things happening to good people: a bad thing
bad things happening to bad people: a good thing

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
Re: Stadium to be named after Brian Lara.
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2012, 03:46:53 AM »
Change the name to the "Pull Stones Stadium."
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Re: Stadium to be named after Brian Lara.
« Reply #73 on: September 12, 2013, 02:06:57 AM »
Moonilal eager to finish Tarouba stadium - $185m to fix issues
By Kevon Felmine
Thursday, September 12, 2013.

Years after the Brian Lara Stadium failed to make its original construction deadline, a further $185 million is still needed to fix the stadium before it can be opened to the public.

The stadium was originally intended to be used for the 2007 ICC World Cup and a whopping $1.1 billion has already been spent on it. But even after it is eventually completed, it is unlikely that international or regional matches will be played there, as Housing and Urban Development Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal yesterday said it might be used instead for school cricket.

Speaking at the Naparima Bowl, San Fernando, yesterday, Moonilal said Cabinet had finally approved the resumption of work at the controversial stadium, which was started in 2005 with a projected cost of $500 million. “We went to Cabinet a few months ago with a proposal concerning the Brian Lara Stadium, and the Cabinet had given the okay to continue the work,” he said.

“There are some remedial works there to be done, as well as some re-engineering of the facility. I think the amount of money is in the vicinity of $185 million to continue that work. We are hoping to at least continue that work. “We are very keen to finish the project because of the amount of money already spent—$1.1 billion—and it needs another $185 million, in a facility that at the end of the day we may hand it over to the Secondary Schools Cricket League.”

Despite Cabinet’s approval, no funding has yet been allocated to continue the project, which Moonilal said would be finished before the People’s Partnership term ends in 2015. “We are looking for a source of funding to complete it...I believe that by 2015 or thereabouts, we should be in a position to complete and have the facility and at least have some type of games taking place,” he said.

Although the project started under the People’s National Movement (PNM) government, the People’s Partnership (PP) has been subjected to heavy criticism for the delays in completing the stadium, initially intended to be a state-of-the-art facility for the country’s athletes. The Urban Development Corporation (Udecott), which is overseeing the project, was also criticised for sanctioning the hosting of Carnival parties and sporting events in the car park earlier this year and late 2012.

However, Moonilal yesterday defended the delays, saying a proper survey of the stadium had to be done before work continued. “We could not have gone full speed ahead and do anything, because we had to do a comprehensive assessment,” he said. “If we did not do the comprehensive assessment, the very media would have asked for the technical reports. So we had to do all our assessments and get international consultants, which we did.

“That also cost money. So in doing the assessment, it cost money as well. Now we are in a position where Cabinet has approved a plan.” Upon picking up duties at Udecott in 2011, chairman Jearlean John announced that an investigation would be launched to determine whether contractors were still liable to repair infrastructural defects at the stadium. Among the issues were a leaking media tower, broken pavilion seats, a flooded gym and an improperly constructed VIP lounge.

The stadium, started in 2005, was designed as part of the proposed $850 million Tarouba Complex on 180 acres of farm land. It was to include an aquatic centre, Olympic-sized cycling velodrome, indoor gymnasium, academy for athletes and a spacious car park along with the Brian Lara Stadium and cricket academy. In April 2011, however, Sports Minister Anil Roberts announced that those plans had been scrapped and only cricket would be played at the stadium.

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 12, 2013, 06:16:31 AM »

http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2013-09-11/moonilal-eager-finish-tarouba-stadium-185m-fix-issues

Years after the Brian Lara Stadium failed to make its original construction deadline, a further $185 million is still needed to fix the stadium before it can be opened to the public.

The stadium was originally intended to be used for the 2007 ICC World Cup and a whopping $1.1 billion has already been spent on it. But even after it is eventually completed, it is unlikely that international or regional matches will be played there, as Housing and Urban Development Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal yesterday said it might be used instead for school cricket.

Speaking at the Naparima Bowl, San Fernando, yesterday, Moonilal said Cabinet had finally approved the resumption of work at the controversial stadium, which was started in 2005 with a projected cost of $500 million. “We went to Cabinet a few months ago with a proposal concerning the Brian Lara Stadium, and the Cabinet had given the okay to continue the work,” he said.

“There are some remedial works there to be done, as well as some re-engineering of the facility. I think the amount of money is in the vicinity of $185 million to continue that work. We are hoping to at least continue that work. “We are very keen to finish the project because of the amount of money already spent—$1.1 billion—and it needs another $185 million, in a facility that at the end of the day we may hand it over to the Secondary Schools Cricket League.”

Despite Cabinet’s approval, no funding has yet been allocated to continue the project, which Moonilal said would be finished before the People’s Partnership term ends in 2015. “We are looking for a source of funding to complete it...I believe that by 2015 or thereabouts, we should be in a position to complete and have the facility and at least have some type of games taking place,” he said.

Although the project started under the People’s National Movement (PNM) government, the People’s Partnership (PP) has been subjected to heavy criticism for the delays in completing the stadium, initially intended to be a state-of-the-art facility for the country’s athletes. The Urban Development Corporation (Udecott), which is overseeing the project, was also criticised for sanctioning the hosting of Carnival parties and sporting events in the car park earlier this year and late 2012.

However, Moonilal yesterday defended the delays, saying a proper survey of the stadium had to be done before work continued. “We could not have gone full speed ahead and do anything, because we had to do a comprehensive assessment,” he said. “If we did not do the comprehensive assessment, the very media would have asked for the technical reports. So we had to do all our assessments and get international consultants, which we did.

“That also cost money. So in doing the assessment, it cost money as well. Now we are in a position where Cabinet has approved a plan.” Upon picking up duties at Udecott in 2011, chairman Jearlean John announced that an investigation would be launched to determine whether contractors were still liable to repair infrastructural defects at the stadium. Among the issues were a leaking media tower, broken pavilion seats, a flooded gym and an improperly constructed VIP lounge.

The stadium, started in 2005, was designed as part of the proposed $850 million Tarouba Complex on 180 acres of farm land. It was to include an aquatic centre, Olympic-sized cycling velodrome, indoor gymnasium, academy for athletes and a spacious car park along with the Brian Lara Stadium and cricket academy. In April 2011, however, Sports Minister Anil Roberts announced that those plans had been scrapped and only cricket would be played at the stadium
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Moonilal eager to finish Tarouba stadium - $185m to fix issues
« Reply #75 on: September 12, 2013, 06:25:30 AM »
Arguably the best cricket stadium in the C'bbn and it's being given to play only school's cricket.

Obviously there is an error in the reporting.

Over a billion dollars spent and no hosting of international matches to rake some serious cash and pay or heavily subsidize costs.

No! Not even this PP Govt. that schupid.

VB

Offline de_redman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 12, 2013, 06:54:00 AM »
Wrong forum... only cricket playing in this stadium

Offline Cowen

• Hero Warrior
  • Conquer without risk is to triumph without Glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 12, 2013, 06:59:38 AM »

I dont think they actually said. It was built primarily for the Cricket world cup......but no reason football cant play there also. Grounds in excellent condition last i saw
Attended Mad Mad University
Studied Madology
Obtained a Mad Mad Degree

Offline 1-868

• Hero Warrior
  • Haters love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 12, 2013, 07:25:55 AM »

Forgive me Anil
Phenomenal, lovely atmosphere.

socafighter

Uncertainty over Lara stadium; claims of pilferage
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2014, 09:22:38 AM »
Uncertainty over Lara stadium; claims of pilferage
By Carolyn Kissoon carolyn.kissoon@trinidadexpress.com
Story Created: May 11, 2014 at 9:37 PM ECT

As Government contemplates whether the mothballed Brian Lara Cricket Academy will be completed, thieves have reportedly moved into the facility and dismantled the electrical system and infrastructural works.
The Express was informed that several seats were also removed from the compound and windows were broken.

The rusting facility along the Solomon Hochoy Highway has caused concern among citizens and questions were raised on whether the complex would ever be completed.
Urban Development Corporation of Trinidad and Tobago (UDeCOTT) communications manager Roxanne Stapleton-Whyms, however, denied that items were being removed from the facility.
She said consultants have conducted a complete conditions survey which included architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical and civil surveys.

“A report on the findings of these surveys and the construction cost to complete the facility, with supporting documentation were submitted to UDeCOTT. The UDeCOTT board reviewed the report and made recommendations on the way forward,” she said.
Stapleton-Whyms said a timeline to completion has not yet been identified. “The cost to completion will be dependent on the scope of works and any remedial works deemed necessary,” she said.

Housing Minister Roodal Moonilal has stated that the Government had projected to complete the cricket academy and have some games taking place at the facility by 2015.
But for that to happen, Moonilal said, another $190 million would be required for the completion of the multi-purpose stadium.

In the meantime, the parking lot of the facility has been the venue of several fetes during the Carnival season. Responding to questions raised by a San Fernando City Corporation councillor, Stapleton-Whyms had stated that no rental fees were being collected by UDeCOTT.
UDeCOTT had been allowing events to be take place only in the car park area, with the rest of the facility being off-limits.

The stadium, which forms part of a multi-sporting complex consisting of aquatic facilities and an indoor basketball court, was initially estimated to cost some $850 million.
It is named after retired cricketing great Brian Charles Lara, a former captain of the West Indies cricket team.

The Express was told that a proposal was submitted and Cabinet had agreed to continue the work.
Moonilal acknowledged that there were still some remedial work there to do, as well as some re-engineering of the facility.
The project became the subject of a Commission of Enquiry and claims of corruption were cited in a lawsuit filed against former executive chairman of UDeCOTT, Calder Hart.

socafighter

Re: Uncertainty over Lara stadium; claims of pilferage
« Reply #80 on: May 12, 2014, 09:23:24 AM »

A monument to Manning astute leadership ...

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 12, 2014, 02:16:36 PM »

True, but this gov't should make an astute decision. Tear it down or finish it.

Offline jason23

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 12, 2014, 09:11:13 PM »

why tear it down .when you can steal and thief money that is allocated to finishing it.....under the guise of..trying to finish it......

socafighter

« Reply #83 on: May 14, 2014, 10:59:45 AM »
$190M to complete Lara Stadium
By Richardson Dhalai Wednesday, May 14 2014
Newsday

Housing Minister Dr Roodal Moonilal, yesterday assured that Government was committed to completing the Brian Lara stadium. To complete the stadium he said, would need an additional $190 million.

Speaking to reporters following the official opening of the Hermitage/Debe road, Hermitage village yesterday, Moonilal, commenting on the additional costing required to complete the Brian Lara Stadium, Tarouba, also recalled that Rowley had been part of the previous Manning Cabinet which had approved a number of cost overruns on several government projects, one of which included the controversial stadium.

Moonilal said an estimated $190 million would be required to complete the stadium following an independent assessment of the facility.

“We have done an assessment, an independent assessment and we estimate it will take another $190 million dollars to conclude that project,” Moonilal said, adding, “it is something we will have to budget for now to conclude it but we are committed to concluding it.”

Dr Rowley was in the Cabinet when they approved several cost overruns and variations on it and he would like to reflect on the waste of taxpayers money under the former administration of which he was an integral part.

And asked whether the works would be completed by 2015, Moonilal said, “we will have to find the sources of funds for that.”

“We expect to begin the work shortly, but some of the work, it’s a lot of work to be done, we expect to begin before,” he added.

Originally scheduled to be opened in time to host matches in the 2007 ICC World Cup which was staged in the Caribbean, the Brian Lara Stadium was budgeted to cost approximately $275 million dollars.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 14, 2014, 05:00:17 PM »

why tear it down .when you can steal and thief money that is allocated to finishing it.....under the guise of..trying to finish it......

All o' allyuh damn right.

VB

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 14, 2014, 07:55:34 PM »
190 million to complete. 90 million in kick backs? Look, tear it down or finish it!!!

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2014, 10:15:07 AM »
190 million to complete. 90 million in kick backs? Look, tear it down or finish it!!!

What! Deeks! whey you hiding? Ganja legal now, Breds!!!!
Ah say it, how ah see it

socafighter

Brian Lara: Why I'm helping build a cricket stadium in Rwanda
« Reply #87 on: September 12, 2014, 12:13:07 PM »
Brian Lara: Why I'm helping build a cricket stadium in Rwanda
Cricket has provided education and direction in the lives of thousands
13 September 2014

Twenty years ago, in 1994, I had a golden summer. I scored 375 against England in Antigua, a Test record that stood for nine years, and two months later I posted 501 against Durham, which remains today the world record in first-class cricket, as my team Warwickshire achieved an unprecedented domestic treble. I was in my mid-twenties, and of course I was very happy, but I was also very aware that in another part of the world, a great tragedy was unfolding.

Every evening when I turned on the TV there were images of the genocide in Rwanda, and the contrast with my own feelings of euphoria haunted me.

It wasn’t until 2009 that I actually visited Rwanda, but when I did I knew I had to help in some way, and hearing the story of a young cricketer called Audifax Byiringiro helped me start to realise what I should do.

In April 1994, as I was gearing up for my golden summer, Audifax Byiringiro was a six-month-old baby in Rwanda. Audifax and his family — his mother, father and three siblings — sought refuge from the violence as nearly a million Tutsis were killed by their Hutu countrymen. For more than a month they faced death daily at rebel road blocks as they fled from the brutality, but by June his father and three siblings had been murdered and only he and his mother remained.

One day in the same month, on a field in a school in Kigali, 2,500 Rwandans were abandoned by UN peacekeepers and attacked by local militia with machetes, grenades and guns. The massacre took just a few hours, and by nightfall all but 50 were dead. The events were later depicted in the film Shooting Dogs. The title was intended to symbolise the madness of the situation: UN troops firing at dogs scavenging bodies of the dead, but not allowed to shoot at the human perpetrators because their orders prevented them from doing so.

Eight years later, by some strange turn of fate, that same field became Rwanda’s first cricket pitch. Many Rwandans had lived in exile in nearby countries like Kenya and Uganda, where cricket was played as a result of a British colonial past. When the exiles returned to their homeland following the end of the genocide, they brought the game back with them and a Rwanda Cricket Association was formed. The idea was that Rwandans of all backgrounds could try to forget their past by playing together — but sometimes it was hard to forget. Before a pitch could be prepared, the two-metre grass was cut, revealing the remains of many victims of the massacre. In the early games it wasn't unusual for a fielder, when chasing after a ball, to find a human bone.

This is where Audifax story begins again — because in 2007, as a 14-year-old, he played his first game of cricket on that field, and it was there, two years later, that I met him during my trip. I was struck then by the way that cricket had changed Audifax life. He spent hours honing his skills with bat and ball before and after school, and it gave him focus and discipline. Over the next few years, he became a fixture in the national team, and in 2011 he was even asked by a cricket club in Cornwall to be their overseas professional for the season, although his visa request was turned down. He now coaches in schools, orphanages and universities across the country, sharing his love of cricket with Rwandan boys and girls from all different backgrounds while excelling in his own studies (his most recent exam results were the highest in the country).

Audifax story is just one of many. Since cricket first arrived in Rwanda, it has provided education and direction in the lives of thousands of young people and in some places has helped break down previously entrenched tribal and ethnic differences. An overachieving national team has even helped foster a sense of national pride.

So Rwandan boys love cricket, there’s no doubt about that, but the trouble is that there is still only one cricket ground: that small field in Kicukiro, the site of the massacre.

Here at last, was something I could do for Rwanda. In 2011, I and a group of cricketing evangelists from England formed the Rwanda Cricket Stadium Foundation (www.rcsf.org.uk), in partnership with the MCC Foundation, to build a high-quality permanent home for Rwandan cricket.

The policy of international aid organisations has quite rightly been to develop basic infrastructure, to lower child mortality and to reduce poverty, but cultural development is also crucial to help Rwanda become a developed nation.

Once built, the new ground will provide a place for the national team to train, for schoolchildren to be coached, for people who have never seen the game before to become hooked, the same way both Audifax and I did. There will be accommodation for visitors from around Rwanda and touring teams from abroad to stay.

RCSF is more than halfway towards the target of £600,000 to lay two wickets and build a small pavilion. And on Sunday 14 September at Wormsley in the Chilterns, I will lead out an invitational XI against a Warwickshire CCC 1990s XI, led by our captain from that era, Tim Munton, as we seek to raise more money for this fantastic cause.

The international community’s failure to act against the 1994 genocide will remain on our consciences forever. But 20 years on, cricket is helping the country to move forward, and I am proud to be able to help.

Tickets to watch Brian Lara’s international XI this weekend can be purchased via the RCSF website: www.rcsf.org.uk. Brian Lara is a former captain of the West Indies cricket team. Among other achievements, he set a record for a first-class innings – 501 not out – which has stood for 20 years.

This article first appeared in the print edition of The Spectator magazine, dated 13 September 2014

socafighter

Re: Brian Lara: Why I'm helping build a cricket stadium in Rwanda
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2014, 12:13:47 PM »

BRIAN LARA INVITATIONAL XI VS WARWICKSHIRE 1990S XI
VENUE: Wormsley Cricket Ground, Getty Family Estate, Buckinghamshire
DATE: 14th September
TIME: Gates open @ 11 am. Play starts @ 2:00 pm

THE MATCH

A team of cricketing stars will come together under the leadership of Brian Lara, one of the greatest batsmen the game has ever seen.  He will captain a select XI which includes Ashes winning former England captain Andrew Strauss, former England wicket keeper Paul Nixon and the former England women's captain and now head of women's cricket at the ECB, Clare Connor.  They will play against Brian’s old Warwickshire team mates from the 1990s including Ashley Giles and Gladstone Small with whom he won three out of four domestic trophies and shared a number of his many records including the highest ever first class score of 501 in 1994.

The match will take place at Wormsley Cricket Ground, one of the most beautiful grounds in the country, with all proceeds going towards making our vision of a new home for Rwandan cricket a reality.
I’ve seen the enthusiasm for the game in Rwanda, and there is plenty of natural talent.  It’s vital that we support the Rwandan Cricket Association in harnessing that talent as we believe sport can help build the incredible progress the country has made in the last twenty years.  The stadium will create a lasting legacy for the game in this wonderful country.” Brian Lara, RCSF Patron

TICKETS

VIP Hospitality
Match ticket, dine and network with the players, VIP Parking, tea and coffee on arrival, Louis Roederer Champagne reception, three course lunch with fine Sumaridge wines, traditional afternoon tea and access to the hospitality bar for the whole day. All enjoyed from the best seat in the house in the Wormsley marquees.

£1500 per table of 10
£175 for individual tickets
Hospitality
Match ticket, VIP Parking, tea and coffee on arrival, Louis Roederer Champagne reception, three course lunch with fine Sumaridge wines, traditional afternoon tea and access to the hospitality bar for the whole day. All enjoyed from the best seat in the house in the Wormsley marquees.

£1000 per table of 10
£125 for individual tickets
Ground tickets
Match ticket and onsite parking.

Come and enjoy these greats of the game  close up, from one of the most beautiful cricketing settings in the world.

Adult £15
Concessions (OAPs and Students) £10
Children (under 16) £1

THE TEAMS

#TEAMLARA

BRIAN LARA (*)
ANDREW STRAUSS
PAUL NIXON (†)
STEVE ELWORTHY
NIGEL ADAMS MP
HEATHER KNIGHT
MICHAEL BROWN
DEVON MALCOLM
RICHARD PYRAH
MATTHEW HOGGARD
JAMES TRUELL *
JAMIE GNODDE *

#TEAMBEARS

ASHLEY GILES
GLADSTONE SMALL
NEIL SMITH
WASIM KHAN
JASON RATCLIFFE
TIM MUNTON
PAUL SMITH
DOMINIC OSTLER
GRAEME WELCH
ANDY MOLES
DOUGGIE BROWN
ASIF DIN
KEITH PIPER
MICHAEL POWELL
MICHAEL BELL

These are the confirmed players, but we have more stars in the pipeline.

« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 12:20:41 PM by socafighter »

socafighter

Re: Brian Lara: Why I'm helping build a cricket stadium in Rwanda
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2014, 12:15:33 PM »

Comments

Ismael Mukiza • a day ago
Very interesting engagement, I, as Rwandan, really thank your for
supporting my country to move forward, God bless you and all RCSF's
members!

Adam KM • an hour ago
fine cause and a fine player

1]; } ?>