April 19, 2024, 10:02:17 AM

Author Topic: Shawn Cooper Thread  (Read 3137 times)

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Shawn Cooper Thread
« on: February 15, 2015, 11:15:14 AM »
Important People In T&T Football - Shawn Cooper

One Of The Most Important People In T&T Football

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWNoPb1whJo

« Last Edit: January 25, 2023, 01:43:57 AM by Flex »

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: One Of The Most Important People In T&T Football
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 11:46:00 AM »
but Coach, the boys do not graduate or progress to Mr. Cooper..they are selected.ie. they don't come to him with a certain skill set, he selects them because of a certain skill set. His job is to select a group/team, which he thinks he can co-ordinate and enhance thru  strategical preparation and training, to be competitive against International competition.  Thu they are also required to be familiar with there possible intl competitors. Sometimes I hear coaches & fans say, we just have to play our game, don't worry about them. Recipe for disaster.  I don't think Ntnl Coaching is so much about development, except during those Intl tournaments.

going back to hear the rest of interview... thanks btw
in the end
I think he knows his craft, and more importantly knows the challenges and obstacles within his environment ..can he produce/make future National players, not many, with the limited resources and availability, can he Find future National players, definitely, if he doesn't get fedup and quit and does his job properly(sometimes u get to a period u don't care, but it doesn't last). Not an easy task. Especially at the age group level. The discovery & selection at this level is probably most important, however, we tend to lose them to US colleges afterwards, and many quit after their degree as regular life becons, as well as some do not return, thus no passing of experience.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 12:39:08 PM by maxg »

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 07:11:01 PM »
Cooper is practical, he understands the challeges and does what he can to make the best of the situation. What struck me was how much work is needed with the players at the national team level - much of this work is the responsibility of the clubs who work with these guys day to day. In essence, he's saying that the coaches are not quite up to par regarding what qualities are needed by the  players to compete at the international level...90 percent of this team is made up of players coming from well established clubs in T&T, the others are the US kids and 1 player from the super league. There is also one player based in England.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 06:04:44 PM »
then maybe the selection process is flawed

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 07:09:00 PM »
then maybe the selection process is flawed

You can only chose from the pool you are presented with.

He talk some real talk. YOu see it at the older age group. NT coaches having to teach basics. Clubs are responsible for these things.

What we need are better clubs with better coaching and a better developmental model.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2015, 07:10:32 PM by elan »
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 09:25:23 PM »
better everything is always better..but you have what you have..it's not now ppl begging, striving for better. we have coaches with all kind of Fifa courses, experience, Sport Science degrees, FA, USSF , Dutch licences..so why the better can't come yet ? maybe it here and we not seeing it ? maybe we  should, change the game to suit us, instead of trying to change us to suit the game.. how about working from the other way around...determining what exact play would win, based on our past wins & losses, and at the national level selecting the ppl who can excute that requirement, and showing the coaches how to produce the training required to do such..we keep chasing the carrot, how about we get in front the carrot, and let it come to us..

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 09:52:36 AM »
I think ppl fail, either by choice or by blind hope, to see the reality facing our football over the past decade or so.....WE DO NOT HAVE GOOD PLAYERS.

Its that simple.

What's the difference between the youth players of 2015 and the youth players of 1983? Simple...1983 had good players. Coaching advances, certificates, more robust local and international leagues....yet we have a national youth coach talking about the shortcomings of players he selected to be on the NATIONAL TEAM.

I can't speak on the new players he brought in, but I can definitely provide insight on at least half the guys on the team....shortcomings is an understatement.

For whatever reason, as a country we are just not churning out good players like we used to....it has nothing to with clubs and coaching. The players just aren't as talented as we would like to believe.

The most recent u20 team that was said to be the most talented we had in a while...I heard that comment and recoiled in horror.

Our problem lies in that we want to coach third rate players to play like premier level players....Greece won a Euro with playing to their level...Spain did it as well after years of trying to play like other nations.

We need to play to our strengths or weaknesses....only then maybe we'll see results

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 10:17:46 AM »
I think ppl fail, either by choice or by blind hope, to see the reality facing our football over the past decade or so.....WE DO NOT HAVE GOOD PLAYERS.

Its that simple.

What's the difference between the youth players of 2015 and the youth players of 1983? Simple...1983 had good players. Coaching advances, certificates, more robust local and international leagues....yet we have a national youth coach talking about the shortcomings of players he selected to be on the NATIONAL TEAM.

I can't speak on the new players he brought in, but I can definitely provide insight on at least half the guys on the team....shortcomings is an understatement.

For whatever reason, as a country we are just not churning out good players like we used to....it has nothing to with clubs and coaching. The players just aren't as talented as we would like to believe.

The most recent u20 team that was said to be the most talented we had in a while...I heard that comment and recoiled in horror.

Our problem lies in that we want to coach third rate players to play like premier level players....Greece won a Euro with playing to their level...Spain did it as well after years of trying to play like other nations.

We need to play to our strengths or weaknesses....only then maybe we'll see results

So what, talented players are born? Something in the water back in the 80s? What is it that we players not as talented as back then? Maybe all the football talent baby making people migrated.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 02:06:56 PM »
Diamondtrim I think the point the coach is making is that these youngsters represent the best that Trini has to offer at this age group...my point was that his job is critical because these are the guys that represent the future of the game - these guys give u an insight into the future of the football. He is clearly not happy with the options available to him. I don't blame the youths because individually - from what I saw, they are very good with the ball at their feet. Their speed of play, their intensity, decision making, movement off the ball are some of the things that stood out to me as things that would need to be addressed as this group goes forward - these were some of the things that the coach was asking for in the session. Might seem like a small thing, but the ground is in bad shape...it wasn't the type of surface that would promote confidence in the players who are hoping to fine tune their game going into a big tournament, what is sad about that is that there are rollers parked up outside the main stadium - they obviously not being used.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2015, 02:09:36 PM by amwood »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2015, 10:45:29 PM »
Coach Cooper says the Academies are not proper...the coaches at these Academies are not teaching the player how to play his role, the players lack the technical abilities, they lack tactical awareness, the players lack courage...he has  to regress and teach players the fundamentals ....this is hard for me to swallow.

Anthony Sherwood, who happens to be one of these said coaches ,did this  interview and  took this harsh criticism face to face ....point blank..I know Anthony Sherwood works damn hard to teach the players...so you tellin me that the other coaches not doing the same?

Who are these coaches that he is throwing under this big bus so that he shares no blame for the lack of success on the international stage....knowing all of this why does he still chose to do the job?

If I were him and I have identified this problem .. I would go take a job with an Academy or form my own so that I could arm the players with the required tools for playing at the next level.

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 12:20:47 AM »
Coache we do these videos more as a teaching tool for both our Academy youngsters and our coaches, the info is something that's implemented in the approach that we take in developing our players - the premise being if u want to play for Cooper one day, then u should know what he looks for in players. Our academy players are very young and not of the age as yet when they would be vying for selection for the U17s. The idea though is that when that time comes, our youngsters will be better equipped to make a real contribution to the National team - that's the goal. Cooper and I have spoken at length about all these issues and the solutions have all been discussed on this forum extensively. It's no secret what the problems are...implementing the solutions - that's the challenge.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:25:32 AM by amwood »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 10:02:26 PM »
"The video is a teaching tool for youngsters and coaches".....okay youngsters watch the video and sees the National Coach say :

There are no proper academies.

Coaches not teaching players the fundamentals....and the list of deficiencies go on ...what is a youngster to do?

You are a college educated man from one of the top institutions in the U.S...

help me out here ..

Offline amwood

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 01:40:26 AM »
If my technical director comes to me and says that the approach that I hv been using to prepare my U15s is not fully addressing the demands placed on them when they get to the U16 age group then what am I to do? The most logical response to that scenario would be an adjustment to my training methods based on very specific conversations with that individual regarding where the short falls exist...it is the same scenario being described by the U17 national team coach. He's indicated that there are short falls and hopefully, everyone involved in the development of youth players will make the necessary adjustments to their training methods. There's nothing overly dramatic about what's been stated by coach Cooper in the video. I had an opportunity to withness a U20 World Cup many years ago and I can tell u that the approach taken back then is not significantly different to what I have seen happening right now with the current youth teams in terms of preparation. One would have assumed that we would hv made advancements 20 years on...
« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 01:42:29 AM by amwood »

Offline coache

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 11:04:47 PM »
Mr Sherwood I have great respect for you as a football man ..you were one of the better talents that came out of Trinidad and Tobago...

I beg the question...what did Mr  Cooper say in the video that was encouraging?

Nothing.

Had he said that we have natural talent in Trinidad..we can produce a Levi Garcia at any given moment...how Coaches are trying their best but many of them are ill equipped ...don't have the time..or not up to date with the latest trends in football today..Despite this I see potential ..I see that we are progressing ...not as quickly as I would like ..because I feel that the young players could improve fundamentally... I can see that the players can exhibit the basic skills when the pace of the game is slower and when there is less pressure ..what I see that we need to improve on is being able to exhibit these same skills when under heavy pressure and at a higher speed of play...I wish they could be placed in more difficult competitive situations which would pull the best out of them..

This type of progressive critique of players is what's required publicly...that's all I am saying..

Offline Tallman

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Important People In T&T Football - Shawn Cooper
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2021, 06:15:48 PM »
Presentation College (San Fernando) head coach Shawn Cooper, the only football coach to lift the National Intercol title with different schools, talks to the Burdie and Barney Show about his mentorship under Stuart Charles-Fevrier, coaching at Concacaf level, working with Levi Garcia and Keston Julien, and coaching ‘Naps’ and the ‘Pres Lions’.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/BD_yHqE1ius" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/BD_yHqE1ius</a>
The Conquering Lion of Judah shall break every chain.

1]; } ?>