March 28, 2024, 06:09:48 AM

Author Topic: You might be a coolie:  (Read 2820 times)

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
You might be a coolie:
« on: May 06, 2006, 10:22:29 AM »
You might be a coolie:

Ø      If you pronounce the word chocolate as “chowwclayyyte” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you say have ever asked someone to “slow down the TV” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If your favorite seafood happens to be “strimps” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you “hing” or “heng” clothes out to dry, you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you call every type of alcohol you see “rum” you might be a coolie

Ø      If you load your camera with “flim” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If your favorite “cyaaatoon” was the “snurfs” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you regard every type of toothpaste as “colgate’ you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you regard every type of soap as “Lux” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you pronounce the name Nicole as “Neeeeecole” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you put you food to “hott” in the microwave, you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you think that the bones in your body make up a “skelington” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you wear a “Marino” under your T-shirt you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you have ever told someone serving you food that “dat go nuff” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you like your food “cripsee” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you call every dark soft drink a “cokes” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you pronounce soft drink as “Soffffff-jink” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If roses have “Petels” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you go to the beach to have a “Sea bath” or take a “Bade” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you swim in jeans, cycling shorts and especially tights at the beach, you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you go to Mario’s for a “Peeeza” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If your house is painted in more than three non basic colors you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you have a hammock in the middle of you living room you might be a coolie.

Ø      If your first name sounds like a last name you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you own a pair of red jeans, you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you call the gallery in your house a “verandah” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you go fishing in the “swaaaaaaaamp” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you ever supped up a ford cortina you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you enjoy playing a game of “cyyyyaaad” you might be a coolie.

Ø      If you surf the internet on a “Comm-pu-taaaaaa” you might be a coolie.

Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline Cantona007

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: You might be a coolie:
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 11:47:40 AM »
sorry, but nothing here relates to to any particular racial group. Anyone who grew up in the country in Trini (especially South, like me) would recognize all of this. To assign it as "coolie"... not good enough.
#include <std/disclaimer.h>
/* Beware of bugs in the above code; I have only proved it correct, not tried it. -- Donald Knuth */

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2006, 12:37:43 PM »
Big dwag I know you mean this in humour but I do believe you should have use a little more tact.
Thank you for giving me one of those rare occasions where i am qualified to tell someone they need some tact.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2006, 04:31:59 PM »
Big Dawg yuh really coulda used ah different word dey. I do however find the swimming in jeans thing very funny :rotfl:. Ay trinindian, what's up with that? ???
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2006, 05:14:34 PM »
happily i can say i never did that.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2006, 12:43:28 AM »
Big Dawg..ah dont know as other posters say if you could classify dat as only ah coolie will do...
I think you need to get away from that stereotype and perhaps say,
yuh is a trini--if you say or do this or that..

I think I would even say classifying a region of people for eg saying
Yuh from South if you say this or that is also stereotypical... 

Anyway in all fairness I am always considered a Brown/Sandy N----- in North America by some Caucasians  who tink because you is friend with dem it alright to label you dat BUT always considered a brother by my Negro friends. It is  ONLY when I in Trini I iz ah coolie..I even had a Syrian fella come up to me in grad school and ask if is alright for he to call me Coolie..explain dat to me... ;D   Anyone offended with my post, please understand I am not categorizing or trying to stereotype. Race & Ethnicity is such a tricky subject.  I thought I was a Caribbean Man first then ah coolie after...Is like Sidney Poitier...how many times, the American media saw his colour  but only educated ones saw him as an Actor and Man first..
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 02:02:30 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline big dawg

• Hero Warrior
  • smallest country to ever play in a world cup final
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 05:41:29 AM »
Big dwag I know you mean this in humour but I do believe you should have use a little more tact.
Thank you for giving me one of those rare occasions where i am qualified to tell someone they need some tact.

This is why this thread in in the joke column...

no dis-respect intended
Re-Group, Re-Energize, Return
We'll be back...
I don't know when

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2006, 08:01:50 AM »
no dis-respect intended

did not take it seriously so no offence taken.

For me rotatopoti3 it goes trinidadian then West Indian, and then indian. When some call me a coolie it is all about the delivery, you can tell if someone is misinform or jus making a bad tactless joke, for example once you are of indian descent(mixed people included) or have indian features in JA they call you coolie. nuff time I have to explain to them it has bad conotations in trini, but that is their culture, and they did not mean it as offensive

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:06:43 AM by trinindian »

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2006, 09:10:47 AM »
Big Dawg..ah dont know as other posters say if you could classify dat as only ah coolie will do...
I think you need to get away from that stereotype and perhaps say,
yuh is a trini--if you say or do this or that..

I think I would even say classifying a region of people for eg saying
Yuh from South if you say this or that is also stereotypical... 

Anyway in all fairness I am always considered a Brown/Sandy N----- in North America by some Caucasians  who tink because you is friend with dem it alright to label you dat BUT always considered a brother by my Negro friends. It is  ONLY when I in Trini I iz ah coolie..I even had a Syrian fella come up to me in grad school and ask if is alright for he to call me Coolie..explain dat to me... ;D   Anyone offended with my post, please understand I am not categorizing or trying to stereotype. Race & Ethnicity is such a tricky subject.  I thought I was a Caribbean Man first then ah coolie after...Is like Sidney Poitier...how many times, the American media saw his colour  but only educated ones saw him as an Actor and Man first..

just so you know, "Africans" is more appropriate.
Peace

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2006, 09:57:42 AM »
"Africans" is more appropriate

Pointman...although I want to agree with you..I cant because you cannot speak for all black people...having said that, perhaps to you in your environment African is politically correct just as some people in the states like the term African American. But in North America I have met Black Trinidadians who do not want to be associated with the term African. Again I strongly believe your environment constitutes what you say and how you say it.  I would go even further to add, I have been roomates of black friends where there has been prejudices among themselves because one was fair skin and the other dark skin. The far skin one, refused to hang out with the dark skin one...You explain that to me...???  This in someway is reminiscent of Indian people from India and those from the Caribbean...Many of us Indians, do not see eye to eye with the Indians from India, because they see us as traitors who left the motherland to seek a better life I believe...So I am a Caribbean man because that is what I know. Again, we are influenced by our environment...what is politically correct for you, does not necessarily mean the end justify the means.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 10:07:58 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2006, 10:55:19 AM »
"Africans" is more appropriate

Pointman...although I want to agree with you..I cant because you cannot speak for all black people...having said that, perhaps to you in your environment African is politically correct just as some people in the states like the term African American. But in North America I have met Black Trinidadians who do not want to be associated with the term African. Again I strongly believe your environment constitutes what you say and how you say it.  I would go even further to add, I have been roomates of black friends where there has been prejudices among themselves because one was fair skin and the other dark skin. The far skin one, refused to hang out with the dark skin one...You explain that to me...???  This in someway is reminiscent of Indian people from India and those from the Caribbean...Many of us Indians, do not see eye to eye with the Indians from India, because they see us as traitors who left the motherland to seek a better life I believe...So I am a Caribbean man because that is what I know. Again, we are influenced by our environment...what is politically correct for you, does not necessarily mean the end justify the means.

Since we are discussing this with a Trinidadian backdrop the only appropriate term is African and not NEGRO. I hear what you're saying though. Even if someone doesn't want to refer to himself as that which he clearly is doesn't make him any less of that which he is. If a man want to be called a woman, that doesn't make him a woman. The Trinidadian government classifies us as African and Indian, European etc so this Negro business is pure nonsense( ah ent dissing you eh).

The fact that African-American are now using the word African to define who they are is a major step in the right direction. They like us in the Caribbean also have a big problem of self identification.

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2006, 11:13:21 AM »
Since we are discussing this with a Trinidadian backdrop the only appropriate term is African and not NEGRO...

As to not embarass myself in Trinidad...as dey say...ah dig where yuh coming from breds... :beermug:

The fact that African-American are now using the word African to define who they are is a major step in the right direction. They like us in the Caribbean also have a big problem of self identification

If my memory serves me right..in Canada under classification of minorities  some forms stated Jamaican as d only form of self identification...dat was about 10 years ago..I would assume they have somewhat moved on there as well...

Can any Canadian verify this for me through passport or affirmative action forms?  It is tough Pointman when yuh dont even see OTHER on a form...anyway thanks again for the distinction as it pertains to Trinidad
« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:20:30 AM by rotatopoti3 »
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2006, 11:24:42 AM »
Since we are discussing this with a Trinidadian backdrop the only appropriate term is African and not NEGRO...

As to not embarass myself in Trinidad...as dey say...ah dig where yuh coming from breds... :beermug:

The fact that African-American are now using the word African to define who they are is a major step in the right direction. They like us in the Caribbean also have a big problem of self identification

If my memory serves me right..in Canada under classification of minorities  some forms stated Jamaican as d only form of self identification...dat was about 10 years ago..I would assume they have somewhat moved on there as well...

Can any Canadian verify this for me through passport or affirmative action forms?  It is tough Pointman when yuh dont even see OTHER on a form...anyway thanks again for the distinction as it pertains to Trinidad

RESPECT :chilling:

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2006, 12:41:41 PM »
geez big dawg like yuh buss more dan a joke here boy. it funny though

1]; } ?>