April 27, 2024, 11:47:08 PM

Author Topic: Welsh Fans Go Caribbean - Rally Behind Dennis "Big Den" Lawrence  (Read 1393 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
Source:
Leah Oatway, Wales on Sunday

CHEEKY Welsh football fans will go Caribbean crazy this summer via the totally tropical hot-spot of... Wrexham!

After Wales failed to qualify for the World Cup, a barmy army of supporters will be backing Trinidad and Tobago, solving the age-old dilemma of whether or not to cheer on old rivals England.

But this is no petty dig at Sven's men, who are in the same qualifying group in the tournament which kicks off on June 9.

The fans are behind T&T because defender Dennis Lawrence is the only player out of the 32 teams in the World Cup to play for a Welsh side - that's Wrexham FC!

Now, they're urging you to join them as the club skipper - nicknamed Shaft by Dragons fans - takes on Sweden in the nation's first game of the finals on June 10.

And to make their point, they've even designed special T-shirts starring Soca Warrior Big Den, Wrexham's first ever World Cup player.

It's thanks to the 31-year-old scoring a play-off goal against Bahrain that the Caribbean side - the smallest in the competition with just a 1.3 million population - booked a place in their first ever final. But with games against qualifying group favourite England on June 15 and Paraguay five days later, bookies have given T&T captain Dwight Yorke a 1,000-1 chance of lifting the Jules Rimet trophy.

But one man whose enthusiasm can't be extinguished is Wrexham fan Simon Johnson.

As the England boss prepares to name his squad tomorrow, the Wrexham Supporters' Trust member said: "Dennis is a big hero at the club and there are also two other former Wrexham players in the T&T side - Carlos Edwards and Hector Sam. To see these guys become the first Wrexham players to ever compete at the World Cup is amazing.

"The Dennis T-shirts have been selling like hot cakes here. And on the day of the first game we're erecting a giant screen at the club and launching our own beer in honour of Wrexham legends - one's called Benno after Gary Bennett, and the other Tommy, after Tommy Banford - to raise money here. It should be a great atmosphere.

"It would have been great for Wales to be in the finals but this is the next best thing. And they're up against some fantastic sides so it should be great football."

T-shirt makers are just as keen to get behind T&T. Shannon Hope, of YC Sports in Roath, Cardiff, who designed our model's T-shirt, said: "We'd be more than happy to run them up for any Wales football fans wanting to show their support to Trinidad & Tobago. It's great to see people getting enthusiastic about the World Cup even if Wales didn't manage to qualify this time."

It's gone down well with the man himself too.

Geraint Parry, Wrexham FC secretary, said: "Dennis loves this. He thinks the support he's been getting is fantastic. He's become a part of both communities - Wrexham and Trinidad - and his daughter is even learning Welsh.

"So to see this level of support from the people of Wales, and especially Wrexham, has really touched him.

"When Trinidad played Iceland recently he saw several Welsh flags in the crowd and it really buoyed him up."

-be the change you wish to see-

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
Re: Welsh Fans Go Caribbean - Rally Behind Dennis "Big Den" Lawrence
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 06:50:11 AM »
Ah cyah wait to see what happen when we play WALES :devil: :devil: :devil:
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 06:56:53 AM »
Ah cyah wait to see what happen when we play WALES :devil: :devil: :devil:

Are you going down for the game?

Offline Themanfriday

• That's who I am, a real
  • Hero Warrior
  • CHILD of GOD
    • View Profile
    • Dexter B. Friday
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:00:53 AM »
I am thinking about it. But I think I would be in Bosnia or Kosovo that week. What is the date again?
Born in SanDo
Raised in Marabella and Gasparillo
Lived in Philly
Join the US Army
Moved to Oklahoma
Deployed to Bosnia
Stayed in Hungary
Retired In Germany
Was at the WC
Cheering for Latapy
Deployed to Kosovo
Y? I don't know
Moved back to America
To live in Virginia
Retired age 44
This is my life

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 07:01:56 AM »
I am thinking about it. But I think I would be in Bosnia or Kosovo that week. What is the date again?

May 27 http://www.trinidad-wales.at

And how about representing the WN in Rotenburg June 4 when the team arrives?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 07:04:01 AM by e-man »

1]; } ?>