March 28, 2024, 03:59:20 PM

Author Topic: Serious questions: Let's pledge to demystify the aura of England and .....  (Read 17230 times)

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
  • yuh cyar take meh ancestry from meh
    • View Profile
Malcom Gladwell's"Blink"a book  illustrating how we make decisions and how perceptions govern our behaviours from our personal beliefs to the impact of marketing on us have prompted me to examine the way in which we are psychologically challenged due to perceptions. [/i]

What resonated with me, as I begin 'gearing up' for my series of threads on the mental preparations for our Warriors to approaching the World Cup games, is how the book also tries to show why some people are brilliant decision makers and others are not Why do some people follow their instincts and win, while others stumble into error.  What implications could I find here for TNT Warriors?

With this book in hand, I switched the channel to the football game between Liverpool / Portsmouth game. With no affinity to any of the teams. I simply began analyzing players who could pose challenges to TNT. I began examining the play making and the pace of the game and I began asking myself and pondering on the following:

What makes English players any better than us?

How is it that a nation like Brazil is able to have this aura of football greatness?

How much of how we approach playing those countries are intertwined to our on psyche?
No win creating a sense of perception of BEST, one has to figure how that  may impact our players psyche?

Take for instance the fact that the core of our players ply their trade in England presumably because it has one of the best football leagues.

If you want to play against the best you have to play in England

In England there are superlative degrees of league play

Presumably the best players are  in the EPL

Therefore  if a player is apt at that level, they are not with the best.

Conversely, If  all of the English team are made up of players  at that level, they must be the best. Therefore by comparison, we are going up against the very best.

But how many collective years, legacy and perceptions did it take to develop this thinking? and what would it take to destroy the myth? (a victory of course)

Are the English players individually better or are they the product of a training system or is it the  frequency of plying at a higher level more competitive level against players  of a higher caliber?

If this is the case what are the odds of countries like ourselves ever competing on an even field with countries like England?  How do we level the playing filed? Should they be penalized for having such a solid infrastructure for football as oppose to countries who do not?

How do we create that level of infrastructure  in TNT or in the Caribbean? This is not an easy task considering that we have been culturally patterned to degrade and to stratify our abilities. Consider the notion of schooling: some of us attended schools based on an exam and we have ideas about intellectual capacity based on the schools  we attended or others attended. Likewise that egocentric thinking could be analogous to the ways in which some of us glorify England, it's leagues and some of its players. Is it any wonder that when our team finally encounters England, that they  may have a huge psychological hurdle to overcome even before they play the game?

I say done all the talk of EPL on the board stop talking about all them foreign players as the best, and leh we focus on we own players , systems and  start creating our own heroes right here in we own yard!! Too much focusing on EPL on T.V , too much glorifying the EPL teams . Why have we allowed ourselves to become addicted to idolizing in the wrong area when we have to devote energies to pumping up ' our own PL?

I would say that with the core of our players on our team playing in the U.K., we are halfway on our way from demystifying the  aura of greatness from teams like England.

My humble opinions
« Last Edit: April 03, 2008, 12:17:57 AM by AB.Trini »

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
I was thinking along similar lines this morning and I came up with a question. Your questions
(

How is it that a nation like Brazil is able to have this aura of football greatness?

How much of how we approach playing those countries are intertwined to our on psyche?
No win creating a sense of perception of BEST, one has to figure how that  may impact our players psyche?
) to me, alludes to or guide my thoughts along the lines of another more primary question as related to the psycodynamics of the footballing traditions in Trinidad and Tobago as opposed to the rest of the world. Why do we play football? What purpose does it signifies? Making the participation in such a sport significant to who we are, or who we become as individuals? As communities? As a nation? 

I believe that in order to create a feasible structure which will nurture the future of our nation, enabling us to create and sustain an indetity within the ranks of football, we must first understand as a whole, why we play football?
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Does it not stand to reason, that if our local sponsors could buy air time or braodcast rights for the EPL, then who is promoting and what financing is there to deploy  for the game  at a similar level in our own land? why would broadcasters want to  broadcast our game and risk the chance of producing world wide followers for what we have ? Could they  risk the competition? Even the world of sports reek of politics and supression of the oppress.

Elan just observe how many really want to tackle these issues; nah they more comfortable talking about the results of the EPL and they foreign heroes.

The atmophere around intercol back in the sixties was to me the ultimate; we reinforced players who could put on a show and 'beats' man till tehy fall out they shoe; foot ball was entertanment not a business.
How do we transform the game into an 'entertainment business' and mantian the integrity of all those involved?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 11:56:56 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
allyuh pay attention to this and take it seriously; start 'vibising up' we team!! forget all that EPL nonsense.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
The media and financial sector investing in our local football would be a great start to establishing a common footballing tradition within our environment. Building heroes from our local leagues through constant and consistent exposure to the public will give rise to a new pride and belief in who we are. It will also allow for the players themselves to become more committed and dedicated to improving their game.

Makes me remember the words to a calypso from Christopher "Tambu" Herbert        
 Â   ".....so leh we love, we calypso, and leh we love, up, de limbo
 Â    and believe in the steelpan, for the next generation
 Â    leh we love, up, we culture, our own we must nurture
 Â    is then we're on the road, to a brand new mode..."

As you rightly said Alberta, it can start with the media being responsible to to the villages, and towns, and to the nation in assisting to foster a greater tradition with football and other sports.  By instilling in the youths of the nation a pride. A new found pride which will burn deep into their soul enabling them to see further than the sweat on an afternoon, but to see themselves in the colors of, Jabloteh, or W' Connection, or North East Stars, as against seeing themselves looking at the EPL, or La Liga.

Sometimes I post here and it frustrate me that most times, my post seems futile cause most people just want to ol' talk. And the serious side of the game they do not want to deal with. So I guess we have to fix us first.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
[quote author=elan

Sometimes I post here and it frustrate me that most times, my post seems futile cause most people just want to ol' talk. And the serious side of the game they do not want to deal with. So I guess we have to fix us first.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

elan.
right on; I share your sentiments exactly; but yuh know everyone has thier prejorative to the 'ole talk' they want to indulge in.

I will talk my views as I see it.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
Thats great that you persevere. Your posts are always informative and intelligent keep it up.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
just to rough up the love-fest here a lil bit, I don't think that merely putting crap T&T sides on tv will inspire youth to anything. If you want to compare yourself to the best, then you have to measure against the best, and that is why men does end up in europe.

As for biggin up the locals, well, that is a subjective thing eh. T&T culture is about flash, not substance. And so more men will be fans of Zidane, than of Makalele. But it doesn't end there, the culture admires Zidane's skills, but neglects to also include the fact that the skills aren't used just to make the crowd jump up, but to further the purpose of the team. Creating a less-selfish, less star-struck culture is a whole different kettle of fish than whether we can produce a football system that can consitently compete at top levels.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline NYtriniwhiteboy..

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Bitter i agree with yuh on the flash ting...It does get me soo vex wen yuh watching game in trinidad and a man beat a man on de line and crowd go be bawling eh even studying if the man do a pile of crap rite after....
However broadcasting the games at home may very well help bring the football up...People will see the product (ie the league) more often and being viewed more will demand better football...and also because it is seen more persons will be able to make better criticisms of the league instead of just calling it a shit league wen they never watch a full game..all they see is de 20 seconds of highlights on de news.
Back in Trini...

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
I will repeat my call for a separation of threads dealing with Trini football and footballers and everything else...
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

On paper they are better because they train better as youngsters, play in more rigorous leagues and tournaments at all levels. Their fans and media are more unforgiving so there is less room for error and enforces the need for perfection among the top who are mentally strong enough to deal with this level of pressure. They have greater incentives (money, fame) and they prepare more thoroughly for tournaments and games...ie. physically, mentally, nutrion-wise, etc. Also, statistically speaking, the larger population increases the probability of producing more talent. They have a stronger football history and tradition and therefore more pride in the sport than we do (that is, week in, week out they have hundreds of thousand of supporters come out and show their passion for the sport...something we do not have). This does not guarantee them success, by the way, but these are elements that can increase the chances of success and elements that are more readily availabe in England than say T&T...just an opinion.

They introduced the world to a new style of play in the 1950s and for that they will not be forgotten. Even today they are innovators even when they are not the best and they bring a touch of the unpredictable that most everyone seems to appreciate. More importantly, they have won the world's greatest football tournament more than anyone else...

Take for instance the fact that the core of our players ply their trade in England presumably because it has one of the best football leagues.
If you want to play against the best you have to play in England
In England there are superlative degrees of league play
Presumably the best players are  in the EPL
Therefore  if a player is apt at that level, they are not with the best.
Conversely, If  all of the English team are made up of players  at that level, they must be the best. Therefore by comparison, we are going up against the very best.
But how many collective years, legacy and perceptions did it take to develop this thinking? and what would it take to destroy the myth? (a victory of course)

What myth? That the EPL is one of the best leagues in the world? It may not be the best to everyone, but is simply one of the best. Also, I believe that where our players play has more to do with networking, where opportunities lie and exposure. England is also considered a place where Trinis can adapt easily off the field of play (language, culture...)...hence improving their comfort on the field of play. Even if we had a player who wanted to and was good enough to play for Real madrid, chances are he would still play in England (first) because that is who scouts our players and that is where we have more of a network established to channel players.

Our players going to England is not as simple as it being the best to them, but probably being the best option available to them. Also, there are players from all over the world playing in the EPL..and their national teams have proven that they can beat the English... (France, Brazil, Argentina, Germany, Sweden, Denmark, etc..). This does not change the idea that the EPL is a top league...so us beating them would not change that ideology either.

To me, for the current soca warriors, the belief that England is beatable comes from believing in your ability, believing in your team and training staff, the right preparation and the mere fact that anything can happen in football. Otherwise, we should respect that they are among the best...and take some pages out of their book (as well as pages of other successful football nations) when it comes to development of the sport (at all levels)....this is vital for the future. Noone beleives England is invincible or perfect...I am not sure what needs to be demystified.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2006, 11:42:35 AM by Filho »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England's rep in football is not a myth. It's been built through a mixture of relative success and marketing..

There's nothing to demystify really. respect is given where respect is due.....

Your suggestion that we live in a football vacuum is not very intelligent either. Gone are the "buy local" days.......think global my friend...if the world is at our finger tips, we have to exploit it.

yes there are psychological complications involved with looking up to our foreign counterparts...but I don't think the solution lies in living in a vacuum. There's nothing wrong with learning and benefitting from the ones who have a proven track record of success overseas, as long as you give back by sharing the wealth of knowledge back at home........
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I am as passionate to the game of football as I am to xes....welllllll  ah good game and agood player no matter the nationality is good. In my younger days , I glorified Brazil. I eh for 'slamming down' no one.
I just eh for glorifying the EPL nor teams nor they players at the expense of ignoring  constructive ways  to prop up we game, we players and we  brand of football.
ah hope the youth dem go explore serious ways to develop and promote our players and partake in the serious talk and just superficial or mundane 'threads'

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
England's rep in football is not a myth. It's been built through a mixture of relative success and marketing.

What relative success? Englands' National Team has had no type of success for the credit to which they are given. In the history of the WC they have only won it once. Even their EPL are dominated by international players. Which EPL team recently won the Premiership with an English player at the helm?

On paper they are better because they train better as youngsters, play in more rigorous leagues and tournaments at all levels. Their fans and media are more unforgiving so there is less room for error and enforces the need for perfection among the top who are mentally strong enough to deal with this level of pressure.

Unforgiving in what way? Even so, they can be accused of being biased in that they demand perfection and talk about how great their game is, but if you look, who are the top coaches in England? It's all media propaganda in an effort to create a divergence from the weakness of what is English football. Technically sound they maybe, but not to bright a bunch they are tactically. Yes, they are a power to behold, but if our media and supporters place the same fanaticism into our team we to would be right on par with these.

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
some teams in england dont have one english player on the field
so that does not make them better
and what is the benefit if you have a league in witch you dont play yourself?
the english players only get more insecure i think
and even worse,if they dont play,how can they get better?

its the problem of large football countries
the television money they get is way more then ,for example ,holland
so what do they do with their money?
BUY FOREIGN PLAYERS!!!!
and not make the english players better,and develope something
so what happens?
foreign players are playing and english are on the bench.

the english think they are better because they have a good league
but not the english but the foreigners make it a good league
10 years ago it was completely defferent
but did they play worse?
dont think so

and dont forget the hysterical press
what they scream might be taken for real by the less high educated

BUT
within 2 months england is as quite as normal......
and are proud with their 12th place

T&T and beenhakker
a devine combination!

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

What relative success? Englands' National Team has had no type of success for the credit to which they are given. In the history of the WC they have only won it once. Even their EPL are dominated by international players. Which EPL team recently won the Premiership with an English player at the helm?

relax brother, why you sounding so angry ?...I said relative success. The word relative, means in relation to other teams. Go look it up if you don't believe me.

-They won the world cup once...Only 6 other countries in the world can boast of that
-They were knocked out in the second round in 1998
-They made it to the quarterfinals in 1986 & 2002 (both times beaten by the eventual champions)
-They made it to the semifinals in 1990 (beaten by the eventual champions)

That's RELATIVE success.....for a RELATIVELY small country...that together with alot of marketing (which I also mentioned), is responsible for their reputation in football. It's not a myth.

I'm not a fan of the british, but in all fairness only a handful of countries can boast of such a track record

I don't think England's rep in Global football (national team) is stronger than Brazil, Argentina, Italy, Germany, or even France & Holland.....name a team outside of those that deserves to have a stronger global rep than England, and explain why.....
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 07:59:41 AM by kicker »

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
England's rep in football is not a myth. It's been built through a mixture of relative success and marketing.

The term used was 'relative success'. You cannot argue that compared to all the nation's that play football, England has not had 'relative success'. Noone is saying that the media expectations match their absolute success rate, but England regularly qualifies for the WC and the European Championships. They were quarterfinalists in 1986, and 2002, semifinalists in 1990...in all 3 they were beaten by the eventual winners. They are 1 of seven countries to have actually won the whole thing. So noone is saying they are the greatest..but those are decent results by any standard. Sure their press overrates them, but that was not the point made. You are taking a simple statement out of context. As for your points on the EPL...your are kidding. In case you did not see all season, Chelsea's best players for 2 season straight were Frank Lampard and John Terry. Joe Cole has also been exceptional for them. In second place is ManU..where Rooney is a very key player (if not their best). In third, Liverpool and one can argue that Gerrard and Carragher are their best players. All English. Now look at  a few of the best leagues in Europe...in Spain, the top teams are not necessarily led by Spaniards (maybe Puyol for Barca), and in Italy, the same thing. Anyhow...the point was made about the EPL being a strong league...not that the English were the best players in the EPL.

On paper they are better because they train better as youngsters, play in more rigorous leagues and tournaments at all levels. Their fans and media are more unforgiving so there is less room for error and enforces the need for perfection among the top who are mentally strong enough to deal with this level of pressure.

Unforgiving in what way? Even so, they can be accused of being biased in that they demand perfection and talk about how great their game is, but if you look, who are the top coaches in England? It's all media propaganda in an effort to create a divergence from the weakness of what is English football. Technically sound they maybe, but not to bright a bunch they are tactically. Yes, they are a power to behold, but if our media and supporters place the same fanaticism into our team we to would be right on par with these.

Again, you stray from the point made. In countries like England there is more intense scrutiny by the press than in T&T (am I wrong?) I argue that the pressure forces many players to try even harder to perform. This has nothing to do with media propoganda. All I am saying is that in a countries where there is more pressure to succeed (Italy, Germany, Brazil, Argentina, England...), players tend to give more, because every move is scrutinized and criticized. The flip side is that some players collapse under the pressure and the press tends to overly praise some mundane achievements (which is the point I think you are trying to make)...but I am not denying that. I am speaking to a different topic altogether

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I am as passionate to the game of football as I am to xes....welllllll  ah good game and agood player no matter the nationality is good. In my younger days , I glorified Brazil. I eh for 'slamming down' no one.
I just eh for glorifying the EPL nor teams nor they players at the expense of ignoring  constructive ways  to prop up we game, we players and we  brand of football.
ah hope the youth dem go explore serious ways to develop and promote our players and partake in the serious talk and just superficial or mundane 'threads'

respect Alberta. you know nobody here is glorifying the EPL, we just calling a spade a spade. It is a strong league with strong players from all over the world. Well marketed..yep...overhyped...yep. But it also has substance. Our players benefit from the experience and until we develop a local infrastructure that can compete, it is not necessarily a bad thing our players to go there and ply their trade. Guys like Yorke, Shaka, Stern, Marcel (all of whom have played in and benefitted from the premiership) and also those in the lower divisions and the Scottish based (Dog, Latas, Scotland, jack, Samuel..etc..) can all come back to T&T and assimilate some of what they learned in the UK, to the development of football in T&T...a style of football that would still be uniquely Trinidadian

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
First I am not angry, sorry if I sound that way.

In case you did not see all season, Chelsea's best players for 2 season straight were Frank Lampard and John Terry. Joe Cole has also been exceptional for them. In second place is ManU..where Rooney is a very key player (if not their best). In third, Liverpool and one can argue that Gerrard and Carragher are their best players. All English.

Have you a fantasy league team? Check how many points you recieved from these players since february. Now it's crunch time and the WC is rolling around all other players gets going and they are being left behind. I agree they are good players (much better than me), but in the international game it will be a bit different.

This is where we need to step in and push our teams to that limit and force the rest of the world to give us our props.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
First I am not angry, sorry if I sound that way.

In case you did not see all season, Chelsea's best players for 2 season straight were Frank Lampard and John Terry. Joe Cole has also been exceptional for them. In second place is ManU..where Rooney is a very key player (if not their best). In third, Liverpool and one can argue that Gerrard and Carragher are their best players. All English.

Have you a fantasy league team? Check how many points you recieved from these players since february.

::) ::) Fantasy league team??? Since February??? Elan..you are clutching at straws to win an argument, and making points that have nothing to do with the point I made. Is this how you seriously judge the worth of a player over an entire season or his overall quality.... At best, you are trying to base your argument on temporary form.... My point was simple. Lampard and Terry were probably the two best players at Chelsea for 2 seasons straight, Rooney at ManU for the last 2 seasons  and Gerrard and Carragher at Liverpool also for the last 2 seasons. You argued that no English player led a Championship EPL team. I stated otherwise. Of course there is no objective answer to this question, but if you disagree, that these English players were the top performers on their teams then state who you think were, not make an obscure reference  about points in a fantasy league in the last 4 months and then extrapolate that to how well they will perform in the WC.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
this topic is dead and buried...

Alberta stated his opinion that we regard the EPL too highly...sure whatever, that's his opinion... point taken...

Now it's extrapolated to Elan fighting down English players and to England being a poor team, and English players not really being that good etc.....what's the point ??

.....useless discussion !!

we have our own football issues at home, that need to be dealt with....there's nothing to be gained in hopelessly trying to diminish the significance of players of certain nationalities, who have established, lucrative and succesful careers.........
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:28:29 PM by kicker »

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
I guess you all can only see right or wrong and who win an argument. I am not trying to win anything here, it does not benefit me to attempt such. I replied to a post and evryone else did. They agreed and disagreed as they see fit, so then why go to such lenghts?

I am not fighting down anyone, they are professional and I am not. In no way can I fight these players down. I guess only certain people on this site know anything about football, and only their opinions are valued. It's all cool. I guess the WC will tell.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
I was thinking along similar lines this morning and I came up with a question. Your questions
(

) to me, alludes to or guide my thoughts along the lines of another more primary question as related to the psycodynamics of the footballing traditions in Trinidad and Tobago as opposed to the rest of the world. Why do we play football? What purpose does it signifies? Making the participation in such a sport significant to who we are, or who we become as individuals? As communities? As a nation? 

I believe that in order to create a feasible structure which will nurture the future of our nation, enabling us to create and sustain an indetity within the ranks of football, we must first understand as a whole, why we play football?

Why do we play football?
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
I guess you all can only see right or wrong and who win an argument. I am not trying to win anything here, it does not benefit me to attempt such. I replied to a post and evryone else did. They agreed and disagreed as they see fit, so then why go to such lenghts?

I am not fighting down anyone, they are professional and I am not. In no way can I fight these players down. I guess only certain people on this site know anything about football, and only their opinions are valued. It's all cool. I guess the WC will tell.

I'm not devaluing your opinion, apolgies if that's how it came across. I just thought that the conversation was straying from the original point. It went from how our perception of the EPL and football in England affects us psychologically, to how overrated England's players are.......and to me it was bordering on hatorade......

........points taken, cheers !!

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
(

Why do we play football?

ahhhh boy andre tell meh only post when i have somthing of substance to contribute so this is my opportunity to jump in.

TO HIT MAN SPANNER ;D
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
The media and financial sector investing in our local football would be a great start to establishing a common footballing tradition within our environment. Building heroes from our local leagues through constant and consistent exposure to the public will give rise to a new pride and belief in who we are. It will also allow for the players themselves to become more committed and dedicated to improving their game.

Makes me remember the words to a calypso from Christopher "Tambu" Herbert        
 Â   ".....so leh we love, we calypso, and leh we love, up, de limbo
 Â    and believe in the steelpan, for the next generation
 Â    leh we love, up, we culture, our own we must nurture
 Â    is then we're on the road, to a brand new mode..."

As you rightly said Alberta, it can start with the media being responsible to to the villages, and towns, and to the nation in assisting to foster a greater tradition with football and other sports.  By instilling in the youths of the nation a pride. A new found pride which will burn deep into their soul enabling them to see further than the sweat on an afternoon, but to see themselves in the colors of, Jabloteh, or W' Connection, or North East Stars, as against seeing themselves looking at the EPL, or La Liga.

We've had similar threads before and I've said that it will probably have to start with a local team doing all it's PR and spending money to broadcast it's games on Sundays on a local radio stations(Trini style)once it becomes popular then the businesses will fall in. That is an overly simplistic way of putting it, but the teams themselves have to do something to generate popular interest in the league. Marketing is the key. The internet can also be used to broadcast local games etc.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile

elan....i guess we not on the same wavelength. but doh moan about people not valuing your opinion. this post invited some interesting discussion, but your responses to anything written that was remotely positive about the EPL or English football do not demonstrate this value of opinions you so desire. go ahead...check your posts. so talk yuh talk but don't be a hypocrite...we disagree on some points and that is all. Plus you talk about some stuff that not really related to the points being made....for instance..you could stop hinting that England will do poorly at the WC..because none of us are England fans...and it does not validate or invalidate what was said about the EPL or English players...just like if England wins the WC (heaven forbid).. it would not mean that the EPL and English footballers are the greatest thing on this earth.
Anyhow..I done. Respect and all the best

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
NEXT: are we ready? YES

What more could the powers to be predict?

Well Finally got back from ah weekend away; I must say that Saturday night was like living a player's dream. Waiting for the morning was the hardest. I was up at 4 at 5:30 at 6:30. Put on the T.V. and watched the game that England played.

Yes they have a solid core in: Gerrad, Beckham and Lampard with Ferdinand and Cole in the backside holding the fort. Interestingly I did not think that England dominated the game nor were there many shots on net for the Paraguayan goalie to save.

However I like the role and the  position of us being taken lightly by everyone else and the notion that we are minnows and everyone Else's 'doormats' It gives us more to fight and to play for. I said this again that the result of our last friendly was not as important as the fact that we held the number three ranked team in the world to a scoreless 0-0- in the second half.

This was followed  up by the the adversarial position we were placed in when in the first minute of the second half against the  number 16 ranked team who has the most players from their last world cup appearance on their team to another 0-0 score while playing with one man short; that is a moral victory. We have not won anything yet.

Now we have the #10 ranked team whose country boast 40 million compared to 1.3 million or there abouts.... but remember we  defeated the # 4 ranked Mexico; and also  had a narrow lost to the # 5 ranked U..S.A while also playing a man short.

I think the more adverse the situation, the better  for us as it brings out a true fighting spirit or a more disciplined demonstration of football by our team. Take for instance the game against Mexico ( we had to win). Mexico is no slouch A team or B team; They are not pushovers. Next  we had to go to Bahrain and get it done; not easy but it happened. Now we are faced without the services of two starters from the defence. This was suppose to be the area of most concern; yet we witnessed against Sweden, a formidable team defence. Hopefully players will step up  as led by Shaka, to rise when called upon and under the leadership of Yorke. Do what has to be done.

Thursday will be a similar  test. I have said this before; the fact that we have been facing this kind of pressure and adversary throughout should pay dividends at this time. The road was NOT paved with Gold to Germany as some may wish to allude to. I think for the BSC experiment to where we are now, each and every game  to this point has made our resolve that much stronger to enable us to be  where we are today.

England is another team which stands in our way to get to the next hurdle. Let's be ready to play with the same intensity and tenacity as before.

Today the players embodied the  spirit of what makes this team unique and special. Today we saw a team like we have not seen before; the unleashing of the human potential to achieve when all has a sense of BELIEF.

P.S. It was real nice while watching the game on The Canadian Media to see recognizable forum 'big men'  what ah see many flashes of 'Tallman' ; ah think from the photos of Palos on the forum; ah see they flash a picture of a man running in front of the Swedish fans with ah Trini flag that looked like Palos yes.

Well ah here is spirit and ah up front  of the T.v. ALLYUH keep the flag flying high and the support  among the massses; we small in number but  big in mouth a.ka. NOISE.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2006, 12:24:35 AM by AlbertaTrini »

Offline AB.Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
why is it so hard fuh people to pledge to support this notion?

1]; } ?>