April 18, 2024, 08:08:02 PM

Author Topic: Beenhakker releases Rougier from World Cup squad.  (Read 25451 times)

Offline Jayerson

• Hero Warrior
  • Gunners for life
    • View Profile
Beenhakker releases Rougier from World Cup squad.
« on: May 11, 2006, 11:01:55 AM »
Beenhakker releases Rougier from World Cup squad.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

National head coach Leo Beenhakker has cut one player from his list of 24 players to represent Trinidad and Tobago at the 2006 World Cup Finals. As indicated last month when he announced the squad, one player would be released to make it a 23-man squad for the Finals and following Wednesday’s 1-1 draw with Peru at the Hasely Crawford Stadium, the lone player to be left out is experienced utility player Anthony Rougier.
Beenhakker had invited Rougier back into the national team for a training camp in Fort Lauderdale in January and subsequently named him on the 24-man squad ahead of the Peru match but has now had the hard task of letting Rougier go and he explained this after having a lengthy discussion with the player.
“The guy worked fantastically and he did everything he had to do to try and make it and in the end I had to make a decision. I am sorry but it was not enough because he showed me he is a great professional and a great guy but he was not enough in terms of the conditions to make the team,” Beenhakker told TTFF Media.
At the same time, with the squad at 23 players inclusive of injured LA Galaxy forward Cornell Glen, Beenhakker has also invited German-based winger Evans Wise to join the team in the Manchester camp up until the end of the training camps in Austria as well in the event that Glen does not recover from his hamstring injury.
“We have the twenty three players now but we also have the Cornell Glen situation. On one side I promised him that he can take his time to recover but obviously with the team preparation in mind. On the other side I promised him that he can take his time and I don’t want to put pressure by giving him a deadline. He will miss a big part of team preparation but he will work everyday with physiotherapist and I will give him a fair chance.
“At the same time I had a very long conversation with Evans Wise and he will come over to England to be involved in the team preparations until the end of the camp in Austria. I told him very clearly that it’s a 50-50 situation because if Cornell is fit then I have to send him (Wise) home and then if Cornell is not fit then I have the bad job to release him from the squad,” Beenhakker explained.
The Dutchman stressed that he did not enjoy the part of having to make the latest decision before the team departs for Manchester on Saturday but he had no choice in the matter.
“This is always the weird part of my profession because you have to make decisions like these just by your head but you are also human and it’s not easy to send a guy home like Anthony who I know has worked hard for the past two weeks. You also have an emotional relationship with your players but that’s part of the job,” Beenhakker added.
He also spoke of ensuring that the entire squad be in ready shape for the matches this country has to play in Germany.
“I will prepare him (Wise) the same as the other guys. Normally you don’t make six changes in a match like last night (versus Peru) but as I said before, I don’t only have to prepare eleven guys but instead the entire squad because if one player gets injured before we play Sweden then the other has to step in,” he said.

T&T Squad:

Kelvin Jack (Dundee), Shaka Hislop (West Ham United), Clayton Ince (Coventry City).

Dennis Lawrence (Wrexham) Cyd Gray (San Juan Jabloteh), Marvin Andrews (Glasgow Rangers), Brent Sancho (Gillingham), Ian Cox (Gillingham), Atiba Charles (W Connection), Avery John (New England Revolution).

Silvio Spann (unattached), Chris Birchall (Port Vale), Aurtis Whitley (San Juan Jabloteh), Evans Wise (Waldhof Mannheim), Anthony Wolfe (San Juan Jabloteh), Densill Theobald (Falkirk), Carlos Edwards (Luton Town), Dwight Yorke (Sydney FC), Russell Latapy (Falkirk).

Stern John (Coventry City), Kenwyne Jones (Southampton FC), Collin Samuel (Dundee United), Jason Scotland (St Johnstone), Cornell Glen (LA Galaxy).
Skipper eyeing World Cup before final kick.
By: Shaun Fuentes.
[/size]

National senior team captain Dwight Yorke is not yet thinking about once more retiring from international football, but wants to focus on the coming weeks of preparation for the 2006 World Cup.
Yorke made these comments as he was preparing to leave the Piarco International Airport on Saturday evening with the rest of the team for a one week training camp at Carden Park, Manchester via a BWIA flight to London.
Yorke said he was not ready to make that decision, following such an announcement close pal and teammate Russell Latapy.
"At this point in time I just want to concentrate solely on being the captain of this team and giving 100 per cent to my country, and then after that I will sit down around the table with my advisers and people who are important to me, my family, and then make a decision from there," Yorke stated.
"But right now, as far as I am concerned, (the main thing) is that I'm fully focused on doing well in the next five weeks and representing my country. It's a special moment, it's an historic moment for our country and our people."
Yorke, as were most of the other players, was visibly excited to be making the trip that heralds their entrance into the top tier of world football.
"This is the moment we have all been dreaming of," he added, "and I'm really looking forward to it. We're four weeks away from playing in the World Cup."
TTFF special adviser Jack Warner was also very enthusiastic about the team's departure as he wished them well at the check in counter. Several fans also took a last minute chance to express best wishes including little kids with national flags painted on their faces.
"This is history in the making," the FIFA vice-president told the media at the airport. "Whatever happens now, or in the future, this particular point in time will never happen again."
Warner also thanked Traffic Branch police officers for their contributions in providing security for the team during Friday's road tour, which he said is an event he would never forget.
"I've never seen such a mixture of humanity at every level, and in areas traditionally our heroes don't go...It was absolutely super and if anything will remain etched in my memory, it would be yesterday's (Friday's) experience."
« Last Edit: May 14, 2006, 03:04:34 PM by Flex »

Offline Tenorsaw

• Hero Warrior
  • YNWA
    • View Profile
Re: So Rougier get cut
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2006, 11:07:38 AM »
This is the first read for me too.  Should we hope that Glenn stays injured (i know it sounding bad) so that Wise can be on the team.  I think we're OK up front, but could use some of Wise's guile on the flank. What do you guys think?

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2006, 11:09:07 AM »
great!!

Offline SHOTTA

• HE WHO HESITATES MASTURBATES
  • Hero Warrior
  • NIGGAS JUST HATE ME BECAUSE THEY CANT BE ME
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2006, 11:15:35 AM »
but if i understand correctly as in the rooney situation

if u submit an injured man to fifa u cant change it jus so

if erickson picks rooney for the cup and he injured throughout then england effectively have 22 men to pick from and they cant change

if beenie goes with glenn then unless someone gets injured in the camp glenn in d cup fit or unfit
now that we have mastered the language we can wield it as we may

Offline freakazoid

• best offensive unit= BARCELONA, best defensive= CHELSEA
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2006, 11:18:32 AM »
again i ask where will wise b playing. samuel's performances  have been great so  far . can wise play on d right or as a striker?
seek ye 1st the kingdom of God & his righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you

Offline Peong

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2006, 11:19:31 AM »
I think you can change injured players up to 24 hrs before the 1st game.

Or is that only if the player gets injured AFTER being named in the 23?

Offline Mock de Dread

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2006, 11:21:10 AM »
IS THIS FOR REAL

MAN I HAVE BEEN REALLY PUSHING FOR WISE..... NOW DROP PULL STONES THEOBALD AND MAKE WISE PART OF THE 23 INCLUDING GLENN BUT LET THEO STILL GO TO THE WORLD CUB AND JOIN THE SUPPORTERS FROM THE BENCH UNOFFICALLY (AS A MEDIC OR SOME THING ) HE DESERVES THAT BUT NOT TO BE ON THE TEAM

WISE DECISION BEAN

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2006, 11:23:28 AM »
yea peong

it only means after they get pick in the 23

i think shaun and benhakker and fifa need to take a look at d books befor they tie up themselves

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2006, 11:29:56 AM »
yea peong

i think shaun and benhakker and fifa need to take a look at d books befor they tie up themselves

Yuh talking toots... rooney get pick in de 23 after being injured...

and he can be replaced if he does not regain fitness...

Glen is in de same situation.... AFAIK
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2006, 12:09:00 PM »
again i ask where will wise b playing. samuel's performances  have been great so  far . can wise play on d right or as a striker?

I ask again what if samuel get's injured during a game...what then?

I'm sure we could make a Wise decision from the fellas left on the bench :chilling:

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2006, 12:14:46 PM »
ff i give credti where it is due

big up to wise and cornell

where one lacks in speed the other makes up for in creativity

left sided problem SOLVED

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2006, 12:26:03 PM »
yea peong

Yuh talking toots... rooney get pick in de 23 after being injured...

and he can be replaced if he does not regain fitness...

Glen is in de same situation.... AFAIK

As far as I understood it, May 15 is the deadline to name your squad.  Up to the day prior to the first match of the tournament you can replace an injured player.

However....

I don't recall what they say about if a player is injured PRIOR to naming the 23...if he can be replaced or not.

I do know that once you play your first game...you cannot replace anybody after that.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline SHOTTA

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2006, 12:32:07 PM »
welll palos i googled it and aint find nuttin to supprot my initial claim which i think is true

in that once u choose and injured player in the initial 23 ur ass is grass

but without evidence i have conceded defeat

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2006, 12:34:47 PM »
welll palos i googled it and aint find nuttin to supprot my initial claim which i think is true

Check out de article on Soccernet about Sven naming Rooney in de 23 for England last week.... I think dey deal with de WC squad rules dere
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline de source

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2006, 12:40:44 PM »
Who feel that Rougier should of really get de AXE.
De man have much more experience and can be a utility. Atiba, the few times I see him play not better than him. Does not read well and lacks composure. I feel Tony get dealt a hard blow that is just my opinion.

What alyuh think?

Offline Jahyouth

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2006, 12:44:19 PM »
De man have much more experience and can be a utility. Atiba, the few times I see him play not better than him. Does not read well and lacks composure. I feel Tony get dealt a hard blow that is just my opinion.

What alyuh think?

Rougier is OLD.  He is 35 years old and without the skill and guile of a Latapy, or the experience and match-winning qualities of a Yorke.  Good move Beenhakker.

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2006, 12:44:36 PM »

Check out de article on Soccernet about Sven naming Rooney in de 23 for England last week.... I think dey deal with de WC squad rules dere
this bbc article says this: England will be allowed to replace Wayne Rooney in their World Cup squad up until 24 hours before their opening match against Paraguay on 10 June.  Fifa confirmed that their regulations allow for a player to be substituted provided the governing body is supplied with evidence of serious injury.

Sven (and the whole world) know Rooney was injured before he name his team, so the same rules should apply for Glen.

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2006, 12:52:10 PM »

What alyuh think?

I think Rougier's speed or lack there of is what did him in. Had he been faster...no doubt he would be in the team.

The teams we playing...England and Sweden play with real speed and they run 100 miles ah hour.....

No matter how fast Rougier could think and read the game by the time he figure out the plot....man done blazin by him and bearing down on Dog and Tallman.

Spann is going to be the utility man in the team...if need be.  

We doh have all that room fuh utility man.....yuh think is ah T&TEC team we sending :devil: :devil:

Ah feel fuh Rougier though...He served well :chilling:

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2006, 12:59:04 PM »
Real sad for Rougier, he had some good years, but I would love to see Wise in one of the warm up games

Offline breezers

• Hero Warrior
  • he who rise against poor ppl shal perish in d end
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2006, 12:59:36 PM »
Waayyyyee Boi....dyez ah rell hard luck fuh Rougier dredd..anyway Big him UP still....he years ah service was much appreciated.....Welll...Evans Wise Fuh Germany!!!!!
Soca Warriors, Holland And Barcelona,
BIG BIG TEAMS!!!!

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2006, 01:05:03 PM »
Theo could loss he wok for Wise.  My pussonal opinion.  On a serious note, i dont think that several other players place as solid as we think either... I mean that it may not be Cornell or Wise to go but maybe a Theo or Carlos or even Spann depending on how Wisw affects de Team. I aint callin no jing-ay on nobody but I think Beenie eye still open within the 24 for de weakest link towards he system and that guy going home (except for Stern, lata,Yorke,Lawrence,Jack,shaka, Jones,Samuels,Me Mom, Whitley,Avery, Cox,Dog)

Dem fellas is de only surety players.

Who is de real Core on this Team?
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2006, 01:07:04 PM »
For me.....Beenie done show dat he loyal...but not stubbornly so.  He out is he never give Rougier any guarantee.  He also pick 24 fuh a reason.  So as far as I concern, Wolfe right now on de bubble together with Cornell Glen due to injury.

I would not be surprised to see Wise on de 23 IF he continues to perform like he did against Grenada U 23.  The level of opposition is a substantial step up.  Nuff sheep go separate from goat on this Pre WC tour.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2006, 01:17:58 PM »
Theo could loss he wok for Wise.  My pussonal opinion.  On a serious note, i dont think that several other players place as solid as we think either... I mean that it may not be Cornell or Wise to go but maybe a Theo or Carlos or even Spann depending on how Wisw affects de Team. I aint callin no jing-ay on nobody but I think Beenie eye still open within the 24 for de weakest link towards he system and that guy going home (except for Stern, lata,Yorke,Lawrence,Jack,shaka, Jones,Samuels,Me Mom, Whitley,Avery, Cox,Dog)

Dem fellas is de only surety players.

Who is de real Core on this Team?

carlos is not one of the core members of the team?

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2006, 01:22:39 PM »
This is the first read for me too.  Should we hope that Glenn stays injured (i know it sounding bad) so that Wise can be on the team.  I think we're OK up front, but could use some of Wise's guile on the flank. What do you guys think?

:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

wayyy... how men jumping on wise back so, cuz ah 2 good performances against greneda... however i do agree he should be there if glenn injured... but u cyah drop a fella who stick wit d team and in good health... even wise admit that he din follow-up with ttff to let them know he was playing good and ready to play during the WC qualifying campaign... so once healthy u gots on principle to give d nod to those who announced their availability and kept hounding ttff with dey individual match reports while playing for dey clubs.

i won't worry too much about the rule, as i sure beenie well versed and aware of the situation and fifa rules... if not, then it might just be one ah d major oversights by a futbol coach ever (given dat wise could prob chain up plenty men and solidify we left side).
« Last Edit: May 11, 2006, 01:25:11 PM by vibetrini »

Offline legal alien

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2006, 01:29:45 PM »
of couse wise still has a chance. i remember romario gettinng injured just before brazil left for france '98. i  dont  remember the replacement though.....

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2006, 01:32:44 PM »
Even as a Rougier fan, I accept the decision as I didn't like how he looked in the Grenada game. Slow in truth (for that kinda role where some playmaking is necessary) but Beenie persisted to use him as a sweeper (instead of a wing back) so it really eh make no sense to carry him. Congrats to Wise who looked good in the Grenada game. Dais persistence boy! Beenie is very professional and does what he has to do! Respec'!
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2006, 01:37:54 PM »

ah really feel sorry for cornell and ah doh wish bad on none of the socawarrios but ah really want wise to be in the squad....if cornell fit who alyuh think wise should replace instead......just wondering ???

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2006, 01:38:34 PM »
I sorry for Rougier he was one of my favourites but he slowness and lack of sharpness did him in.

I ent think he could match the level of pace from the other WC teams.

Honestly I find the following could get drop but then again who we have to replace them?

Spann....first man to get chop...he pulling real stones these days.
Theobold.....to come orn in the WC to do what? not left wing, too frail and not at the level yet.
Atiba...........didnt look good vs USA, didnt look good vs Grenada...not much playing time.

Cyd reverting back to he gold cup duncee ways too....beenie have to talk to him.

I say find a spot for Wise yes and interchange he with Samuel and keep Glen too.

lBut really we cyar chop nobody...men just have to get out the starboy I make the squad mentality and work hard and lift they game.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2006, 01:42:21 PM »
Didn't Rougier give up a deal with a Professional Club to train for the World Cup?  And As I recall it, Beenhakker had something to do with it. He got a raw deal.  
But with the way that Beenhakker is behaving now, I think that Glen could recover and still not make the team - especially now that England's team features such fast strikers.
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2006, 01:44:34 PM »
I think you can change injured players up to 24 hrs before the 1st game.

Or is that only if the player gets injured AFTER being named in the 23?

you can change injured players up to 24 hours before yuh first game but the second part of what yuh saying is redundant and means the same thing because if yuh changing an injured player before yuh first game that means he had to have been named in the 23 man squad.......and remember wise isnt in the 23 man squad as yet.....he just there just in case glenn doesnt recover in time then wise would be his replacement so beenie want him training with the team so he would be up to speed

1]; } ?>