April 16, 2024, 10:25:50 AM

Author Topic: Fare Thee Well -- Soca Warriors  (Read 2470 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Fare Thee Well -- Soca Warriors
« on: May 15, 2006, 11:00:54 AM »
FARE THEE WELL---SOCA WARRIORS   
by Peter O'Connor

5/15/2006

There could not have been a dry eye in the Hasely Crawford Stadium on Wednesday when Russell Latapy, our Little Magician, jogged his farewell lap around the field, the match being temporarily suspended for the occasion.

Thank you, Latas, for the memories. Mine go back to 1983, when T&T Under 16’s (you were 14), meeting Mexico in a CONCACAF tournament semi-final, went to penalty kicks. Mexico scored their first two, but we missed ours. Then little Latapy walked up, so small on the muddy field, his uniform seemed to be draped over him. Could this little one bring us back in the game? “You asking answers!” was the phrase in those days, and Russell calmly—and this was to become the description of his play—slotted the ball into the net. That goal lifted our next two kickers, and shattered the young Mexicans, and we won the shoot-out—only to lose in the final (on penalty kicks) to our perennial nemesis- the USA.

He played for the full International Team in 1985, and went on to become a key member of the Strike Squad. Who can forget a dancing run through the whole Honduran team in a World Cup Qualifier at the Oval in November 1988? Who will ever forget those two Kerry Jamerson goals against Guatemala in 1989—one in Guatemala, the other in Hasely Crawford—both set up by Russell, calmly holding the ball long enough to slip it to Kerry, the timing so perfect that Kerry hit it in full stride, no adjustment needed.?

I was among those critical of Russell’s commitment to country between Italy ’90 and Japan/Korea ’02. However, I was delighted with his return last year, and we again saw the unflappable precision of the Little Magician, the astonishing vision, “seeing” everyone while running with the ball at his feet. On his return, against Guatemala, it was Russell who brought us back twice, first shaking free at the edge of the box to make it one-all, then finding Stern and delivering the perfect pass for Stern to score. Then in the dying stages, it was Latas who lobbed the ball over the defence, onto Stern’s chest, for the winner to be put away. Like Guatemala is food for you or what, Latas?

You are the best T&T footballer I ever saw, Russell. Thanks again for all you have done for us so far. However, you have more to do, in Germany, and thanks in advance for that!

And thank you too, Dwight Yorke. You too who came back, to lift a struggling Team, and demonstrate what Leadership on the field is all about. You achieved the pinnacle of World Club Football in 1999, and those of us who knew you, ever since you were little, were overwhelmed with pride –just for knowing you. Now you wear the Captain’s Armband of a World Cup Team—for the second time, having led Trinidad and Tobago at the World Youth Cup- Portugal 1991.

Your two goals against Iceland on Carnival Tuesday were gems—who else would dare to kick a penalty like that? Ronaldinho maybe? But for me  the Play Of The Day came in the post match interview with you and Leo Beenhakker. You were asked to compare your 1999 Treble with the upcoming World Cup. You described your 1999 feelings, then continued  “…..but now that I am going…” catching yourself  “….uh, Hoping to go…”—looking across at Leo “.. to the World Cup..” and the Old Leo, turning to you, eyebrows raised, a wry smile more in his eyes than on his lips, not speaking, but acknowledging that you knew he had not picked his Team yet, even though we all knew… !

And thank you Leo! You and your Staff. Until you arrived, many of us were losing hope that we were going anywhere. You promised us nothing but your best effort, and you delivered Glory- one step at a time. I watched you take a demoralised group, and turn them into a joyous, confident Team. I saw you build this just one match and “two days” at a time. I saw you angry, I saw you being strict, but most of all I saw your sense of humour always there, your patience and understanding of a people already planning to play England while you were reminding us “we have to play Sweden first”. 

I know that what you will achieve with this Team over the month ahead will make all the difference in Germany. And while I, indeed all of us, can accept three “honourable” losses, I KNOW that we can win matches, and I BELIEVE that we will.

I am proud to have known you, and regret that I did not get to know you better. Thank you, Leo, for giving us the Dream, and then fulfilling it.

And to all the Soca Warriors who played their part, with their special stories,, which space constrains—thanks to you all: Stern for the goals, Kelvin for the saves, “Tallest” for the final goal, and for discovering “White Boy”, Avery from Vessigny, where I was born, Carlos, and recently Colin, for the runs down the wings, “Dog” for his quiet strength, Cyd, Aurtis, Denzil, Brent, Jason, Atiba, Kenwyn, Ian, Clayton, Shaka, Silvio, Anthony—all names for the history books of the future. And to all those who played before, in this campaign and others, and who coached, and worked behind the scenes, you are part of this impending Glory. 

And thank you, Jack—for your unwavering support and commitment to this mission. Without you, none of this would have been achieved. Your life may be steeped in controversy—sometimes I think you feed on it !—but it is you who took us to Germany, by building the road for Leo to travel. Whatever your detractors say about you, one thing is clear: You have done more for Trinidad and Tobago than all of our politicians and businessmen put together. Just look at all the flags flying on our cars, just look at how the world sees us now.

As you all read this, our Warriors are landing in London, joining Shaka who yesterday held off England’s Crouch, Gerrard, and Garragher in the FA Final—Right Shaka? They will then train, play and develop into the Team for Germany.

Fare Thee Well, Soca Warriors. You carry the dreams of our country with you, dreams which you can , and which we believe you will, fulfil.

Offline trinidre

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Fare Thee Well -- Soca Warriors
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2006, 11:18:49 AM »
well said :applause:

Offline Bairn_O_Falkirk

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2006, 11:20:17 AM »
I am honoured to have seen the wee magician play and to have spoken to him once.

Sadly never got his autograph and doubt I'll get the chance now.

Can't wait to see him at the world cup

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2006, 11:44:55 AM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:
Warrior For Life !!

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2006, 12:05:48 PM »
FARE THEE WELL---SOCA WARRIORS   
by Peter O'Connor

Then in the dying stages, it was Latas who lobbed the ball over the defence, onto Stern’s chest, for the winner to be put away. Like Guatemala is food for you or what, Latas?

It was Yorke who did this....but as Touches say is LATAPY and any other 10 players that coulda beat Guatemala

Nice piece of writing dey  :beermug:

L A T A P Y
   1 0

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2006, 12:31:05 PM »
Nice article dey... :thumbsup:

VIBES IT UP WARRIORS!!!

Offline grskywalker

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIORS BUSS THE NET AGAIN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2006, 12:50:25 PM »
 :applause: :applause: :applause: Excellent tribute!

Offline injunchile

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2006, 01:42:35 PM »
PEter O Connor- Malvern Player and President- He should take over TTFF.

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2006, 02:50:58 PM »
well written

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2006, 04:52:51 PM »
PEter O Connor- Malvern Player and President- He should take over TTFF.

Yuh joking right?
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline The_Ice

• My band, Red Vellum Razorblades ... enjoy :D
  • Hero Warrior
  • RVR guitarist
    • View Profile
    • Red Vellum Razorblades
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2006, 08:03:33 PM »
another article to bring tears to my eyes... go warriors!!!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2006, 08:36:07 PM »
It was great article. I like Peter O'Connor will never forget that game against Mexico I spent that August vacation going to the stadium. My girlfriends did not see the end as they were sure that we would lose when theyheard the screams they ran back up the stairs.

I was by a disgusted family friend and I used the opportunity to knock about and it began my journeys to the stadium as a 13 year old female with a group of girl friends. Those were the days thank God my niece is in the US if she had ask to do the same I would say hell no.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

Offline Storeboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2006, 08:50:29 PM »
Ah go say it till ah blue in the face, whether anybody disagree or not:  "We have to keep Beenie for four more years" so he could help us begin to develop the next generation of players for 2010. Then he can go, please, please, please God!  This ride too sweet!
Never, never, ever give up! Go T&T Warriors!

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2006, 10:16:49 PM »
As u yanks say 4 MORE YEARS
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>