April 24, 2024, 06:51:56 AM

Author Topic: Pelé Thread  (Read 9769 times)

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
Pelé Thread
« on: May 13, 2006, 07:42:37 PM »
Pele, at 17, was old pro compared to Walcott
By Keir Radnedge (Telegraph)

13/05/2006

Brazilian legend tells Keir Radnedge he had much more experience going into his first World Cup than young England forward.

Theo Walcott will face a more demanding test at the World Cup in Germany than the 17-year-old Pele did in Sweden in 1958.

The judge delivering that verdict should know, being the great Brazilian himself.

Walcott, on the day of England's opening match against Paraguay in Frankfurt, will be 17 years 86 days compared with Pele's 17 years 235 days on his World Cup arrival against the Soviet Union in Gothenburg.

Pele, inserted along with Garrincha into a stuttering Brazilian attack which had scored three goals against Austria but none against England, soon made his presence felt.

He scored a quarter-final winner against Wales, a hat-trick in the semi-final against France and two more in the 5-2 victory over Sweden in the final.

Here similarities end when it comes to assessing Walcott's potential for a similar feat.

Pele, still living the World Cup dream now as tournament spokesman for official sponsor MasterCard, has heard of Walcott but, in common with England coach Sven-Goran Eriksson and most fans and media, has yet to see him play.

But he is wary of comparisons. After all, Pele has heard them all before from England: most recently in Euro 2004 when Eriksson compared Wayne Rooney's impact with that of Pele, just before the striker's ill-fated initial foot fracture in the quarter-final upset against hosts Portugal.

Pele said: "When I came into the Brazil squad I was surrounded by experienced players like Didi, Zito, Nilton Santos. Didi said to me: 'Listen Pele, don't try to do anything different to the way you play with your club. Don't think you have to change your style because now you are in the national team. It's not like that. You're here because of the way you play each week so that's all anyone wants from you.'"

Pele is happy to hand down the advice afforded him in turn by one of the greatest playmakers in the history of the World Cup, but sees few other links between his experience in Sweden and the one Walcott may live in Germany.

Simply, Pele started younger. He said: "Walcott has not played a game in the Premier League yet.

"But when I went to that World Cup in Sweden I had been playing in the first team with my club, Santos, for a year.

"Also, I had played I think five times for Brazil, the first time when I was still 16 and I scored a goal against Argentina. And that was almost a year before the World Cup.

"So when I went to Europe and to Sweden I was more or less engaged with the team and the way everything worked.

"In fact, the only thing that was new to me was the travelling because I had never made a big trip abroad before like that with the national team."

For the record, Pele scored on his senior debut for Santos in September, 1956, when he was not yet 16. He was still more than three months short of his 17th birthday when he made that goal-scoring debut for Brazil against Argentina in 1957.

Maybe further comparison should be deferred until after Walcott and England win the World Cup.

Offline Flex

• Administrator
  • Hero Warrior
  • A Trini 4 Real.
    • View Profile
    • Soca Warriors Online
Legendary footballer Pele for W/Cup draw in T&T.
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 05:22:26 AM »
Legendary footballer Pele for W/Cup draw.
T&T Newsday Reports.

FIFA Vice President Jack Warner has promised that the campaign for the Under-17 Women’s World Cup would “break all boundaries ” and it appears as though organisers are well-positioned to deliver on that promise.

For the launch of the emblem of the U-17 World Cup, the LOC was able to attract star power in US goalkeeper Hope Solo, Christine Sinclair of Canada, Brazilian Aline Pellegrino and Tiffney Milbret.

Now on the eve of the LOC’s World Cup campaign, organisers have gained the support of yet another international name, and it’s football legend Pele.

The Brazilian superstar, who last visited this country in 1987, is expected to attend the draw for the U-17 World Cup next year.

The initiative to gain the support of the Brazilian was spearheaded by Special Advisor to the Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation and FIFA Vice President Jack Warner.

Warner, who is in Mexico, held an impromptu meeting with Pele on Wednesday evening, during which he delivered the invitation on behalf of the LOC.

Warner has described the talks as “positive.” “The meeting went very well. I have been mulling over the idea of inviting Pele for quite a while.

“You see the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup is not just about creating stars but it must attract stars and who better to attract, than the legend himself Pele.”

Warner went on to add that, “The final details are still being worked out, but Pele has indicated his willingness and availability to attend the U-17 World Cup. We will as is customary have a number of follow up discussions but this country will see Pele again.”

When questioned about whether a female player would have been better to promote and raise awareness of the tournament, Warner said: “Football is the beautiful game, we see no race, gender or colour and we are all one family. Whether it be Marta or Pele or Blatter promoting this tournament, in the end its all about the promotion of this game.

“We work in unity, a family united with one goal. We don’t see the messenger but the message and the message of this tournament is, “the home of Women’s Football is Trinidad and Tobago.”

Deputy CEO and Director of Marketing of the LOC, Nataki Kerr says the development is testimony to the appeal of Women’s Football.

“The statistics are clear. Women’s football is a growing phenomenon. The fact that a footballer of such international repute such as Pele is willing to attend this draw says volumes of the appeal of Women’s Football.”  The FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup will get going on September 5, 2010 in Trinidad and Tobago.
The real measure of a man's character is what he would do if he knew he would never be found out.

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline dreamer

• Hero Warrior
  • These fellas are real Warriors.
    • View Profile
Re: Steve Hunt telling Pele to Fuc* Off
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 12:42:06 PM »
All I can say iz a good ting Steve mother eh name him Mike instead. Dah could ah be real presshah.
Supportin' de Warriors right tru.

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:08:23 PM »
All I can say iz a good ting Steve mother eh name him Mike instead. Dah could ah be real presshah.

Or Isaac  :beermug:

Offline vb

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • http://www.caribsport01.homestead.com/caribsport.html
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »

Or Isaac  :beermug:

;D ;D
VITAMIN V...KEEPS THE LADIES HEALTHY...:-)

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
Pele Pele Pele!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2012, 06:25:51 AM »
Great great great player! But my word, talk about oral Diarrhea dat does spew from his mouth.

Not as bad as his "Nicky Butt being one of Englands greatest players," but please, activate yuh brain before your mouth nah!!!

Pele says Lionel Messi isn't the best player in the world today - much less of all time.

Pele said Wednesday that young Brazilian striker Neymar is better than the Argentina forward, and reiterated that he doesn't think Messi belongs in the conversation about who is the best player ever.

That debate has long centered around Pele and Diego Maradona, but many have started including Messi after a series of outstanding performances with Barcelona.

Pele, however, said at an event celebrating the centennial of Neymar's club Santos that ''there's always this Maradona comparison, saying that he's better than Pele. Now some are saying that Messi is better than Pele. Well, he has to be better than Neymar first, which he isn't yet. He has more experience.''

The 20-year-old Neymar is seen as Brazil's greatest player at the moment.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Pele Pele Pele!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 08:22:56 AM »
I agree with the man! Who's Messi???
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:19 AM »

a rank sh!thound who only scoring a setta penalty  ;D
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 08:33:39 AM »

Exactly.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2012, 09:01:09 AM »

Exactly.

:rotfl: :rotfl:

He have 'bout tree more to score against RM this season alone!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 09:07:06 AM »

Exactly.

If he score three, Ronaldo scoring six.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline rotatopoti3

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 09:25:59 AM »
who is Pele?? 
Ah say it, how ah see it

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2012, 09:38:29 AM »

Exactly.

If he score three, Ronaldo scoring six.

he would probably need to.....to ketch up. (and, ah didn't say "three" ah said "tree")

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline diamondtrim

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
Pele is a colossal idiot.....always was and always will be......

Distant third to El Diego and soon will be fourth after the Messi one

Offline Sam

• Hero Warrior
  • Police face and dog heart.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2012, 10:18:42 AM »
Half of Pele goals were off sides goals when they had no off side rules and the game as a striker was earlier than today.

Pele might be a legend but not mines.

Faster than a speeding pittbull
Stronger than a shot of ba-bash
Capable of storming any fete

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2012, 10:25:30 AM »
Half of Pele goals were off sides goals when they had no off side rules and the game as a striker was earlier than today.

dat is pure horse sh!t

In fact the offside rule was more difficult as you needed to have 2 players between you and the goal rather than 1 nowadays.
Also no yellow and red cards... you should see the kinda agricultural tackles Pele used to get... Maradona get some good jamming too.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2012, 10:39:00 AM »

dat is pure horse sh!t

In fact the offside rule was more difficult as you needed to have 2 players between you and the goal rather than 1 nowadays.
Also no yellow and red cards... you should see the kinda agricultural tackles Pele used to get... Maradona get some good jamming too.

???
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2012, 11:02:06 AM »
Dem Brazilians getting on!

CBF director hits out at Barcelona: They won nothing before Messi, Xavi & Iniesta

The Brazilian official believes that not all teams should follow the Catalan outfit's footballing model and urged Santos to remain true to their values

Brazilian Football Confederation (CBF) director Andres Sanchez has launched another attack on Barcelona, hitting out at suggestions that all clubs should follow the Blaugrana's footballing model.

Barca's La Masia academy and the attractive brand of attacking football practised by Pep Guardiola's men, have won many fans in recent years, as the Camp Nou outfit have stormed to three consecutive Spanish titles.

But the former Corinthians president feels that it is detrimental to Brazilian football to follow the Catalan model, and that such talk devalues other approaches to the game.

"What is this bullsh*t saying that we have to follow Barcelona? Are Real Madrid then just a bunch of morons?" he told Brazilian television programme Cartao Verde.

"Much of Corinthians' marketing approach was inspired by Barcelona, but you can't take the same road as Santos and think that Brazilian football is worthless.

"Barcelona are a respected team, but if the Barcelona system is so flawless why did they not win anything 10 years ago? Xavi, [Lionel] Messi and [Andres] Iniesta do not appear every year.

"The difference in the youth system is that while we want our youngsters to win titles, the key is not trophies but unearthing great players."
www.westindiantube.com

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2012, 11:37:30 AM »
Pele is to this day  the greatest  player ever to date hands down ,  there is no arguing , not forgetting the great brazilian Garrincha who many will testify  was even better  than pele , but thats another subject for another day ..... ! when messi wins 3 worldcup  medals , and score over 1,289 goals then messi can be mentioned in the same breath... let the arguments/ discussions begin... i had the opprtunity to see the great pele  up close twice  live  with santos and the new york cosmos at the queens park oval along with beckenbauer . chinaglia,   edu. ferreira  what a  treat thats when great ballers use to come to our shores in TNT saw teofilo cubillas  the peruvian pele as they use to call him at the time .....ok the  bottom line pele was  the greatest and is still the greatest hands down  ..

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2012, 11:46:01 AM »

dat is pure horse sh!t

???

my bad including the keeper it would have been 3 players back then as opposed to 2 players nowadays.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2012, 12:00:23 PM »
Pele is to this day  the greatest  player ever to date hands down ,  there is no arguing , not forgetting the great brazilian Garrincha who many will testify  was even better  than pele , but thats another subject for another day ..... ! when messi wins 3 worldcup  medals , and score over 1,289 goals then messi can be mentioned in the same breath... let the arguments/ discussions begin... i had the opprtunity to see the great pele  up close twice  live  with santos and the new york cosmos at the queens park oval along with beckenbauer . chinaglia,   edu. ferreira  what a  treat thats when great ballers use to come to our shores in TNT saw teofilo cubillas  the peruvian pele as they use to call him at the time .....ok the  bottom line pele was  the greatest and is still the greatest hands down  ..

Different argument altogether. The thread is about pele's comments on Neymar vs Messi.

Last time Pele goat mouth a player was Robinho. Lets hope Neymar just keep on learning and move towards greatness in a humble manner.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2012, 12:31:56 PM »

Different argument altogether. The thread is about pele's comments on Neymar vs Messi.

Last time Pele goat mouth a player was Robinho. Lets hope Neymar just keep on learning and move towards greatness in a humble manner.

haha Yeah...
www.westindiantube.com

Offline socalion

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2012, 01:29:56 PM »
Observer  its  nothing personnal bro with all due respect , pele has all rights to express his take on whom he believes is the more talented of the 2  players ( the neymar vs messi ) comments . there will always be debates and arguments regarding such topics , i do acknowledge as you mention its a neymar vs messi  subject !!!!!. however just had to give my take   when as you say some are comparing  messi  to pele ,  he aint reach there yet... . but sticking  to the issue of neymar vs messi comments many of us may  have a different take on that , however  i happen to admire both players  neymar  and messi  only time will tell by their overall achievements  who is deem better , history will be the judge , i just  hope they both  remain injury free and continue to entertain us  with their godgiven talents  respect to you  bro......!!!!!!

Offline just cool

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2012, 02:33:51 PM »

dat is pure horse sh!t

Weh yuh expeck sam yuh say bout pele, after all pele wasn't an indian or ah white man.
The pen is mightier than the sword, Africa for Africans home and abroad.Trinidad is not my home just a pit stop, Africa is my destination,final destination the MOST HIGH.

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2012, 03:46:28 PM »
Sam doh dig no horrors... yuh mightn't be a fan of Pele but yuh is surety a fan of football.
I find Messi is garbage  ;) but i does still appreciate SOME  ;) of his play  ::)

show me how much offside goal in this video
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/88BQYlJ5dUQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/88BQYlJ5dUQ</a>
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 03:49:21 PM by FF »

Offline FF

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
ah find this as a related video...

watch how man fraid to rush Garrincha nah oh garrdo   :rotfl:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXAm1c_a9NY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fXAm1c_a9NY</a>

giggsy11

« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2012, 06:21:21 PM »
You know Pele will never choose an Argentinian over a Brasilian. And he entitled to make that choice!

Any talk of Messi being the greatest ever, needs to wait until Messi's career is over, and then the comparisons can be made to others.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 12, 2012, 06:29:24 PM »

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/fXAm1c_a9NY" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/fXAm1c_a9NY</a>

Yeah, but I would like to see how Garrincha would handle Stoke on a cold Wednesday night...   ;D

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 12, 2012, 06:45:34 PM »

Yeah, but I would like to see how Garrincha would handle Stoke on a cold Wednesday night...   ;D

Hahahah oh gosh boy...
www.westindiantube.com

1]; } ?>