March 28, 2024, 01:23:01 PM

Author Topic: Here is another white elephant  (Read 28405 times)

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Here is another white elephant
« Reply #90 on: September 29, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
Ah was doing good till somebody say BL stadium..if the Hex had started, i might of forgotten completely about this thread...but nooooo...ah man had to bring it up   :frustrated: :cursing:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 26, 2017, 12:27:34 PM »
But the last paragraph, since 2005, we jamming still

http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,242789.html
15,000 LIVES AT RISK
SEAN DOUGLAS Wednesday, April 26 2017

PRINCES Town MP Barry Padarath yesterday warned that as many as 15,000 lives could be at risk at a star-studded T20 match on May 13, to formally open the billion-dollar Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba.
Padarath said major questions remain outstanding on the safety of the structure, a decade after its original planned completion date.

On May 13, retired TT and West Indies batting star Brian Lara himself will lead a team against an invitational side led by retired Indian batting star Sachin Tendulkar, in a T20 match, to formally open the stadium. Minister Smith announced the sale of tickets for this match during last Thursday’s post-Cabinet news conference.

Several efforts to reach Smith for comment yesterday proved futile.

Opposition MP Padarath questioned the structural integrity of the stadium saying a full assessment, under the former People’s Partnership government, identified significant structural, drainage and design flaws.

He called on Government to, “make public, all relevant documentation that the stadium and grounds were assessed and deemed safe and fit for public use.” Padarath asked whether or not the stadium met international safety standards, claiming Government was silent on what was done to address significant and hazardous structural defects identified by construction expert Gerry McCaffrey in 2009.

“Mc Caffrey indicated that on two separate occasions, independent testing was done to the welds on the stadium and (they) failed the required standard,” Padarath said.

In addition, the structural steelwork was, “effectively condemned”, in the Uff Commission of Inquiry report yet Government has not stated what remedies were effected. “In yet another attempt to distract from the important issue of safety, Government announces a celebrity match to mark the opening of the refurbished stadium. But citizens remain in the dark as to whether the venue has met internationally accepted standards for public safety,” Padarath said.

The findings of construction expert Gerald Mc Caffrey of the British firm Acutus was reported in Newsday on March 22, 2009, in a story headlined, Tarouba Stadium Steel ‘Condemned’.

State enterprise Udecott (Urban Development Company of TT), which oversaw refurbishment of the stadium, yesterday indicated in a press release that a news conference will be held today at 11 am the TT Cricket Board office in Balmain, Couva to, “inform of the rigorous preparation and ongoing testing of the pitches and players’ facilities at the Brian Lara Cricket Academy, Tarouba, in accordance with requirements set by the WIBC (West Indies Cricket Board) and the ICC (International Cricket Council).” UDECOTT: STADIUM SAFE Udecott chairman Noel Garcia, in a second press release issued just before 6 pm yesterday, attacked comments which questioned the safety and structural integrity of the stadium.

And while not calling any names, Garcia demanded “individuals” making these statements withdraw them and apologise to the nation.

Udecott “categorically refutes statements that the Brian Lara Cricket Academy is not safe and fit for use,” the release stated. Garcia, in the release, said it was “passing strange” that individuals would make “irresponsible” statements after extensive remedial work was undertaken at the Academy over the past nine months to deal with issues outlined in the Uff report. Garcia said that the comments were mischievous and designed to create fear and panic especially since Udecott conducted all remedial work to ensure the facility conforms to current international codes governing sporting facilities. In addition, the release stated, Udecott commissioned a number of architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical and civil surveys.

And the findings, as tabled in these reports with supporting documentation, found the Academy to be safe for use, the release added. “I call on the irresponsible individuals to withdraw such statements and apologise to the people of Trinidad and Tobago,” Garcia said in the release.

In a separate statement, Naparima MP Rodney Charles questioned government’s priorities hitting the planned opening of the stadium when students of the Reform Hindu School “remain neglected by Government” and are housed in the “worst conditions”, while the over 90 percent complete new school languishes, unopened due to a, “lack of funding.” Charles said the Prime Minister and his Cabinet should be ashamed to come to the opening ceremony of the stadium with the unopened Reform Hindu School mere metres away.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2017, 01:21:40 AM »

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2017, 02:58:02 PM »
Chairman of the Sport Company of Trinidad and Tobago (SporTT) Dinanath Ramnarine told the T&T Guardian that the closure of the facility to the public for exercise purposes has nothing to do with the audit now being conducted. Rather, he said it was to protect the public.

Dinanath has a point here, you know.

He said he was concerned that there “were hundreds of millions of dollars of equipment which have to stay outside the facility, the air conditioning needs to be running 24/7 at the Cycling Velodrome and if these things are sabotaged how do we prevent that.”

This part needs some clarification. Equipment which needs to stay out the facility. Outside, how? If the equipment cost millions, why outside? Is it going to be covered for protection from the elements. And what about security for the facility?

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2017, 03:41:16 PM »
I see no reason why the general public should have access to our elite sporting facilities that have been built to develop elite athletes. These are not community centers. Trinis really have no clue what going on yes.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2017, 05:09:32 PM »
congo, the man or woman exercising at that facility going to say, " my tax money paying for the upkeep of these facilities. Why can't I use it"

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2017, 06:00:39 PM »
I wonder if you could go walk around the car park of Wembly Stadium ??

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2017, 06:28:47 PM »
congo, the man or woman exercising at that facility going to say, " my tax money paying for the upkeep of these facilities. Why can't I use it"

And then the politicians become involved and the Ian Alleynes...Sigh

Imagine people "bathing" in a National Aquatic Center as though is a community pool. The problem probably stems from the huge fanfare that the gov't like to have when opening these things. Really make the community believe that it is there for their purpose and use. Those facilities should only be used for "competition" purposes. I'm sure the average athletic club can't saunter up to Wembley and blade its grass. We really need to grow up here.

Sad state of affairs in this place at all levels yes.

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2017, 06:30:50 PM »

Hardluck there, barely read your response. They are right in saying that and that's why I fully believe that these things need to have some sort of corporate input. Why shouldn't the average tax paying citizen use a facility that was built and being maintained with public funds? Same goes for the Hyatt?

We really need to rethink our governance model in this country.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2017, 06:46:51 PM »
Boss..How many elite athletes we have coming out of Trinidad and how many of those actually train in Trinidad. We build a ton of facilities, do not high hire staff to run, maintain and generally utilize. We have had 1 Intl swim meet and maybe 2 local at the National pool. Don't know about the velodrome, we have more stadia than a major US state..and about 5 to 10 World class athletes to utilize. So how would you justify there construction use and staffing, if you don't recruit the use of them by the general population. Wait till watermelon and Banana start growing and sell in the Tunapuna market ?   ;D

add: every major exercise complex here is funded and maintained from the general public use of the facilities. Besides the fact that it's there tax dollars pay for it. where else will funding come from. If ppl use it for free, they will not consider it to be worth anything and misuse and take for granted it's true worth.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 08:57:07 PM by maxg »

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2017, 08:24:00 PM »
I still don't get why we never placed focus on multipurpose stadiums for various sporting, cultural and also community events. We are too small a country to have all these stadiums fitted for a singular purpose. Each stadium should have had a membership club with gym facilities and indoor squash etc. I mean proper gym facilities, not just a treadmill and weights room.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2017, 09:31:32 PM »
The reason why I posted the article here, we discussed all these things with the Tarouba build, no one heeded, and as we might of thought, nothing was in place, at the time we weren't sure. This minister is at least honest, to call out the issues...nothing changed...and the TTFA even adding more to that particular area (training field), for addtl maintenance issues. I was at CCCan, everyday, I went out to look at the stadium field, there was 1 evening with a pro league game, maybe 20 ppl in stands,2 days with a team training on a back field, might have been U15, and  a day with a snr team, trining...otherwise the place ws empty..the Velodrome was EMPTY, right thru..I saw more cyclist riding the road in Martinque in one hour, daily, than I saw for 2 weeks in Trinidad and Tobago. With all that we have built, we should be hosting a Worlds of every sporting discipline every month. So far a football game here and there..and FIFA, not even sure the fields are in proper condition...so we go and build another...we start a 'non-professional' professional league, but players can't get paid without government intervention..without public participation in anything, what is the point.as I said, if you pay ppl to do normal, basic things, then the basic normal things are then taken for granted, now with all the emphasis on money and material, or lack of it, the generation not working at it out of passion, love, and because they want to be best, but because they want to have Ronaldo etc. money..and when that money dries up..so does our development.. I bolded a couple off the points discussed within some quotes, but there were other contributions as well.. Some of us saw, some didn't care, many of us could do not much, but talk..and now, the places will sit, not enough athletes to use, and no allowance to help a population try to be healthy or heal.. we surround by water, and many of us don't or can't swim.might as well take a bathe, according to Iwer..so what if we might drown..just kidding, but hmmmmm...this is talk to have over brew, yes...sorry if i'm a lil long winded

I guess you could save money if it is in the same vicinty as an existing facility as you can have one set of staff to maintain it.
You can also use exisitng stuff that already in place like the car park, administrative offices, existing infrustructure like pipes, electricity lines, communication lines.

Is like having the Jean Pierre Complex right by the Hasely Crawford instead of somewhere else.
I thought they had announced a while back that they were putting the Bovell aquatic center down powder magazine side.
http://www.guardian.co.tt/archives/2004-10-06/sports4.html

The construction costs for all the new football stadia we have came up to $450 million.

I suspect this one so big it doesn't have space by the current stadia to add this one.
Bacelot already adding on to the Dwight Yorke.

Is funny they spending so much on infrustructure but barely wanted to give 1% of it to actually run de programs that would use the facilities.
If they spend half that amount and use the other half to support the sporting programs (with auditing and accountability for every purchase) we might see some improvement in sport....administrative and on the field.

This $850 mill is just an indication of panic but we go take it anyway.
hahaha.  politics is real entertainment sometimes yes.

Is it going to solve crime....noooooo.
Will sport benefit...yessss.
Is it at least close to an efficient way to use $850 mill for sport is the main question.
Facilities is part of the equation but if the other things not there too then what de hell is the point.
Boynes seem to be doing a better job these days so maybe a sustainable sports plan is something real and not ficticous?

Could anyone here let me know if they heard anything about this prior to the article coming out.
What discussion went on about this and which sporting organisations took part.
Ah mean, is dem going and use it not so?

Also, what happening to the aquatic center in Cocorite? Scrapped?....even after some ceremony with Bovell.

With the amount of spanking new facilities we have is best we have some kinda World Cup or big tournament every 6 years otherwise it go be emtpy right through.  What happened to having teams come down here for pre-season training.....no takers for the Tobago venue?  Who knows if anyone is marketing that.
ah was thinking bout Benjie suggestion, cause i was more looking at turning it over to the communities in which they are located, it will assist and benefit those communities, as far as development and bonding, but would those communities have the professionals necessary to operate something of that stature   ??? I don't know the communities..

"Should they just do like football and build a couple of smaller ones, maybe even at the other existing sites?" - dcs

or half way in between or something...

Kenya started bombarding the world with middle distance runners, many ran barefoot, up to today. No infrastructure, no funds...just desire, and pride...We had many excellent athletes (cricket, football, track) in the past(not much swimmers true), high public interest, participation, and involvement....1 Oval, 1 skinner park, bunch a lil patches and street football...wel that was then, we have to keep up with the rest of the world (jones)

Yet building a Cathedrall, won't gaurantee yuh a place in heaven. Won't mean yuh Holy. Hell it might not even mean yuh is a good fella. but intially people go come and see it..

In my opinion our young atheletes require more modern  coaching, i.e. training, nutrition, psychological development, and proper home nuturing and parent involvement. Then somewhere to practice it further.

Is funny they spending so much on infrustructure but barely wanted to give 1% of it to actually run de programs that would use the facilities.
If they spend half that amount and use the other half to support the sporting programs (with auditing and accountability for every purchase) we might see some improvement in sport....administrative and on the field.

dcs yuh thinkin,,,the Hasely Crawford when first built was problems...all kinda fancy equipment, Â training and treatment...but after all was acquired...the Government couldn't afford the staff to utilize and run any kind of programs out of it. Just like building 5 stadia and barely paying upkeep, so yuh go turn around and add a another brand new complex...

Sub1, i don't care how the f**k they spend the money, but doh light it and blow smoke up people ass. Transportation, easy access to the people who will be using it, programs staff, technical, maintenence, environs. Fella yuh doh just build a School and people walk into it and they learn. There is a yearly cost from Janitor to Program Director, equipment maintenance and replacement, food services, cleaning services, security...Think before yuh start trying to insult people, nah. I not about that. Â Yuh know what these concerned business do or don't do for sport. Yuh have any idea if people close down they business and leave, what the socio-economic situation will be...I don't ...
Open my mind and grow...really...what causing you to be constantly typin stuff so people will think you foolish so? the internet? something personal? if yuh wha chat personally, I don't mind helping yuh out bredda...buh doh expect meh to delve into cussing and fighting yuh down, bout who wise and smart and who chupid....it have millions wiser and smarter than plenty...I have met a few, and ah married one..so I accustome to being on the mentally weaker side, yet my strengths lie in seeing the big picture, and adaptaion to life....and focusing on sport and nothing else, is not the whole picture...but that is another story

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 12, 2019, 12:39:09 AM »
Just saw the following on facebook, is it true ?

9th May, 2019
MEDIA RELEASE
PADARATH: ROWLEY SHAMELESSLY CONFIRMS LARA STADIUM HAS NO ACCREDITATION AFTER 2 YEARS. MORE $ TO BE SPENT TO MAKE STADIUM ICC COMPLIANT.

Princes Town MP, Barry Padarath described the admission of Prime Minister, Keith Rowley that the Brian Lara Stadium in Tarouba has no ICC accreditation as shameless, despite being opened 2 years ago. The Prime Minister made the admission at a PNM public meeting in Chaguanas on Tuesday.
Padarath said it was exactly two years ago that the stadium was opened with great fanfare and a promise of international cricket matches from members of the government. However up to this time the stadium has hosted more fetes and parties than cricket tournaments.
The Princes Town MP said that he took particular note of the Prime Minister's statements that additional work would have to be completed on the stadium before the International Cricket Council could grant accreditation. Padarath is calling on the Prime Minister to indicate the scope of works and the additional cost to taxpayers to now make the stadium compliant with International Standards.
The MP raised these issues prior to the opening of the stadium two years ago, however government failed to address these matters back then.
Padarath said that after the PNM spent over 1.3 Billion dollars on the Brian Lara Stadium, it was a slap in the face to the population to spend more after the stadium was opened without ICC accreditation. The Princes Town MP described this as incompetence and one of this country’s biggest corruption scandals.
The Princes Town MP said he was not surprised that after two years since being opened, the stadium did not have international accreditation, especially since one Minister was fired for allegations of sexual harassment at the Ministry and the other admitted that she knew nothing about sport. Therefore, there has been no real leadership for this project. However, the MP indicated that his most troubling concern was that more money would now have to be spent after the stadium was opened two years ago and after 1.3 billion dollars has already been spent.

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 12, 2019, 07:53:33 AM »
No excuse from Rowley on this one!

1]; } ?>