March 28, 2024, 03:50:33 AM

Author Topic: Child Abuse & Murder News Thread  (Read 102782 times)

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Baby Left in Car dies...
« Reply #600 on: May 17, 2014, 07:36:23 AM »
CHARGE GRANDPA
By VASHTEE ACHIBAR Saturday, May 17 2014
http://www.newsday.co.tt/news/0,194876.html

DEPUTY Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) Joan Honore Paul yesterday instructed police to formally charge Winston Cudjoe with manslaughter in the death of his grandson Jaedon Cudjoe, 17 months, who was found dead on Tuesday after being left locked in Cudjoe’s car for over nine hours.

As news of the DPP’s order to charge the 56-year-old man reached the Cudjoe household in Penal last night, screams could be heard, as relatives — already traumatised over baby Jaedon’s tragic death — now have to deal with his grandfather being hauled to court next Monday to answer for his death. Contacted for comment, DPP Roger Gaspard SC last night told Newsday that Deputy DPP (South) Joan Honore Paul gave instructions late yesterday evening to investigators at Penal CID to lay a charge of manslaughter against 56-year-old Cudjoe.

This means baby Jaedon’s grandfather will remain in police custody this weekend and make an appearance on Monday before a Siparia magistrate on a charge of manslaughter.

Baby Jaedon’s funeral is scheduled to begin at 1 pm today at his Penal Rock Road home. His body will then be taken to the St Dominic’s RC Church in Penal following which he will be laid to rest. Police sources last night said arrangements are being made to allow the grieving grandfather to attend the funeral service for his grandchild. Baby Jaedon was discovered dead in his grandfather’s car on Tuesday afternoon in the car park at Petrotrin’s Clarke Road, Penal compound. Nine hours earlier, at about 7 am, Cudjoe is said to have locked the car and went to work with the child in the back seat.

Relatives said Cudjoe was supposed to drop off the child at a babysitter on his way to work but forgot to do so and went to work. An autopsy conducted by Forensic Pathologist Dr Valery Alexandrov at the Forensic Science Centre, St James on Wednesday, revealed that baby Jaedon died as a result of severe dehydration as a result of being locked in a car with no ventilation and extreme heat.

Grandfather Cudjoe has been in police custody since the discovery of baby Jaedon’s body. A day after baby Jaedon’s death, his grieving mother Masika Wharwood described his grandfather as a most loving and wonderful person who would do anything for his grandchildren.

She said she wanted the world to know that Cudjoe’s grandchildren were his life and that he has not stopped mourning for baby Jaedon since the tragedy. She said that on Tuesday morning, her father-in-law took baby Jaedon to drop him off at his (the baby) aunt’s home on his way to work at Petrotrin in Penal, as he was accustomed doing for the past few months.

He was was accompanied by the toddler’s grandmother whom he dropped off first. She said that on his way to work, Cudjoe encountered a traffic jam and took another route. She said that in taking this detour, Cudjoe forgot that he had to drop off Jaedon.

To add to this, Wharwood said, while on his way to work Cudjoe got a cellphone call that he was promoted to supervisor at his work in Petrotrin and that he should go to Petrotrin’s Santa Flora office to collect the promotion letter.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: May 17, 2014, 07:46:34 AM »
This should be interesting ...

Offline Bakes

• Promethean...
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: May 17, 2014, 12:22:50 PM »
Looking at it from a bigger picture perspective, this is the right decision by the DPP.  There are always mitigating circumstances in every case, but that is for the judge/jury to decide.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: May 17, 2014, 12:26:06 PM »
Is this an unprecedented circumstance locally? One senses that the Dep DPP has been influenced by foreign authority.

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: May 17, 2014, 12:53:01 PM »
Is this an unprecedented circumstance locally? One senses that the Dep DPP has been influenced by foreign authority.

I think a precedence has been set in other jurisdictions to prosecute these kinds of cases irregardless of the circumstances ......matter of procedure...so that the state fulfills its obligation to fully investigate ...............mu mother seems more convinced that it's a smoke screen of opportunity initiated by  d gov't........doh want to buy into dat though......not yet anyways
I pity the fool....

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: May 17, 2014, 12:57:49 PM »

I think a precedence has been set in other jurisdictions to prosecute these kinds of cases irregardless of the circumstances ......matter of procedure...so that the state fulfills its obligation to fully investigate ...............mu mother seems more convinced that it's a smoke screen of opportunity initiated by  d gov't........doh want to buy into dat though......not yet anyways

Huge step up from neglect to manslaughter ...

Offline lefty

• Hero Warrior
  • would u like to buy an 'O'.........
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: May 17, 2014, 02:24:37 PM »

yeah for dat :-\
I pity the fool....

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: May 17, 2014, 08:09:19 PM »
it's a different take (in general) here where people are showing sympathy for the grandfather. In north America people would be calling for his head. we see such a case at least once every summer. And people see it as child neglect no ifs or buts

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: May 17, 2014, 10:00:28 PM »
Damn, damn, damn....hard luck dey Gramps. Rel heartfelt for yuh. Tough one to deal with.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: May 17, 2014, 11:33:12 PM »

True...
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: May 18, 2014, 02:28:58 AM »
Excerpt ... click on the title to see full article.

Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime?

In Portsmouth, the decision not to charge Culpepper, 40, was made by Commonwealth's Attorney Earle Mobley. As tragic as the child's death was, Mobley says, a police investigation showed that there was no crime because there was no intent; Culpepper wasn't callously gambling with the child's life -- he had forgotten the child was there.

"The easy thing in a case like this is to dump it on a jury, but that is not the right thing to do," Mobley says. A prosecutor's responsibility, he says, is to achieve justice, not to settle some sort of score.

"I'm not pretty sure I made the right decision," he says. "I'm positive I made the right decision."

There may be no clear right or wrong in deciding how to handle cases such as these; in each case, a public servant is trying to do his best with a Solomonic dilemma. But public servants are also human beings, and they will inevitably bring to their judgment the full weight of that complicated fact.

« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 02:32:04 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline Michael-j

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: May 18, 2014, 03:54:52 AM »
it's a different take (in general) here where people are showing sympathy for the grandfather. In north America people would be calling for his head. we see such a case at least once every summer. And people see it as child neglect no ifs or buts

I think charging him was a necessary formality though,as the office of the DPP cannot appear to be swayed by emotion or sentiment. It's up to the judge and the jury  to consider the circumstances and  determine if leniency is in order. Based on the details revealed thus far I don't think many would be calling for his head....I certainly am not. 

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
  • Ras Shorty-I, Father of Soca, Chutney-Soca & Jamoo
    • View Profile
Eight Pregnant schoolgirls could be suspended!
« Reply #612 on: May 20, 2014, 03:03:20 PM »
How come there is no similar outcry against the parents of these girls and the boys involved who would have gotten them pregnant as there was against Helen Bartlett for disciplining her 12 year old daughter child to save her from ending up in the same predicament?

Is it because this is what we want in T&T society which is why parents are being vilified for disciplining their children at home in addition to corporal punishment being banned in schools?

It seems to me that this is what is desired hence why no outrage against the children involved and their parents.

Pregnant schoolgirls could be suspended
By CECILY ASSON Monday, May 19 2014 (T&T Newsday)

Education Minister Dr Tim Gopeesingh has requested an immediate investigation be conducted into a report of eight pregnant students at a secondary school in south Trinidad.

The pregnant schoolgirls have been identified as members of the school’s football team while the fathers-to-be are said to be from the same school.

Gopeesingh said once the girls are found to be under the age of 16, police must institute criminal proceedings.

He said he was unaware of the incident.

“It has not been brought to the attention of the Minister of Education, the Chief Education Officer nor the schools supervisor. I have just read it this morning and I have asked for an investigation to be done into it immediately. If the girls are in fact pregnant, they will be suspended with immediate effect and if they are under the age of 16, that is a matter for the police. We will have to report it to the police as the law requires.”

On Saturday during a national consultation in Chaguanas, Zena Ramatali, President of the National Parent Teachers’ Association, revealed that the eight schoolgirls, one of whom is a Form One student, were all pregnant and no one has been arrested for having sex with the minors.

“If that had come to the attention or the knowledge of the principal, the schools supervisor or the teachers, they ought to have reported that to the police immediately and also to the Ministry of Education as required by the law.” Gopeesingh further said that parents as well, should take some blame as they too are required by law to report such matters to the police.
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
Re: Eight Pregnant schoolgirls could be suspended!
« Reply #613 on: May 20, 2014, 03:37:48 PM »
T&T need a proper forensic centre and DNA testing laboratory with high capacity.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: May 20, 2014, 04:21:19 PM »
T&T need a proper forensic centre and DNA testing laboratory with high capacity.
True but is that going to help stop this sort of thing happening or would reintroducing more discipline or even corporal punishment in schools be more effective?
De higher a monkey climbs is de less his ass is on de line, if he works for FIFA that is! ;-)

Offline g

• mr greggle71
  • Hero Warrior
  • semi match fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: May 20, 2014, 04:28:14 PM »
True but is that going to help stop this sort of thing happening or would reintroducing more discipline or even corporal punishment in schools be more effective?

Was more thinking of the long drawn out interview process to determine who impregnate who, with proper lab testing i was sending every man jack in the school for paternal testing and as the results in then they are subject to the law.
Soca Warriors, the pride of a nation

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: May 20, 2014, 11:29:22 PM »
Many high school have nurseries for babies of students, and special classes for pregnant students. We should look to update our school as such to provide support for the pregnant teens enabling them to finish High School.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Tiresais

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: May 21, 2014, 02:16:27 AM »

From wiki

Medical, pediatric or psychological societies opposing school corporal punishment include: the American Medical Association,[21] the American Academy of Pediatrics,[22][23][24] the Society for Adolescent Medicine,[25][26] the American Psychological Association,[27] the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health,[28][29] the Royal College of Psychiatrists,[30][31] the Canadian Paediatric Society[32] and the Australian Psychological Society.[33] School corporal punishment is also opposed by the (U.S.) National Association of Secondary School Principals.[34]

This is something we've thankfully moved past.

Offline asylumseeker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: May 21, 2014, 04:40:11 AM »
Should teen/tween pregnancy be correlated to corporal punishment in schools? Think about it like this: if a principal encounters students engaged in sexual conduct, is it proper for the principal to wreak the havoc of Helen Bartlett on them? Is it appropriate for him or her to raise a finger?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2014, 04:41:54 AM by asylumseeker »

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: May 21, 2014, 05:26:00 AM »

Allegedly eight of them from the football team get impregnated from boys from the football team.

Sound like a big set of vice and peer pressure to me.
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: May 21, 2014, 05:28:29 AM »
Many high school have nurseries for babies of students, and special classes for pregnant students. We should look to update our school as such to provide support for the pregnant teens enabling them to finish High School.

add : there's also a lot of social services available to such parent/s (in the schools I've seen in Canada where there are daycare for kids of students).

Offline fishs

• I believe in the stars in the dark night.
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: May 21, 2014, 06:29:20 AM »

add : there's also a lot of social services available to such parent/s (in the schools I've seen in Canada where there are daycare for kids of students).

That is encouraging the BS
Ah want de woman on de bass

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: May 21, 2014, 08:09:47 AM »

is like saying the bandaids in our medicine cabinet encourages us to get cut.

when educating the kids fail, we need to have a support system in place.

Offline fari

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: May 21, 2014, 10:44:33 AM »

thank you

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: May 21, 2014, 12:41:50 PM »

And why should the school be burdened with providing child care? If they made the choice they should deal with the consequences best they can. And if the girls getting suspended the boys should be too...why should they suspend the girls but not the boys?
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Socapro

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: May 21, 2014, 12:52:13 PM »
And why should the school be burdened with providing child care? If they made the choice they should deal with the consequences best they can. And if the girls getting suspended the boys should be too...why should they suspend the girls but not the boys?
:thumbsup:

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: May 21, 2014, 01:06:12 PM »
In my city the school board (gov't funded) and Catholic school board are the ones funding the daycare in the schools where there are such programs. The social programs are not specific to school day cares, but teenage, single parent and families who need help. At the end of the day tax payers foot the bill.

I guess we have to consider if funding such is better for the child and mother or do we disregard them and blindly say "pay for playing"?

In a case like Trinidad and Tobago where we have millions to fatten 'community leaders" pockets and say it's community driven job creation, we could certainly beef up the social services offered to citizens. Start with educating the kids about sex and the risk of diseases and early parenthood. Remember when we were up in arms about the HPV Vaccine.. church, what other people think and supposed "shame" prevents us from discussing serious topics as a nation.

Just my opinion though!

Offline congo

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: May 21, 2014, 02:32:30 PM »

It's this mindset that has our country going to the dogs now. The older generation with the whole deal with the consequences speech..Blah blah blah...Imagine our country still doesn't recognise and teach Sex education in school. A basic human function such as reproductive health is still hushed about and treated like taboo. Just remember you only make a bad decision when you are uneducated or ill informed. When the teenage mother fails to properly guide and provide for her children, the state is going to have to fit the costs of incarcerating and rehabilitating this person in years to come.

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: May 21, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »

It's this mindset that has our country going to the dogs now. The older generation with the whole deal with the consequences speech..Blah blah blah...Imagine our country still doesn't recognise and teach Sex education in school. A basic human function such as reproductive health is still hushed about and treated like taboo. Just remember you only make a bad decision when you are uneducated or ill informed. When the teenage mother fails to properly guide and provide for her children, the state is going to have to fit the costs of incarcerating and rehabilitating this person in years to come.

Not saying no to Sex Education - (are students ignorant of what sex is and what it can result in?) - I'm disagreeing that schools should take on the burden for providing child-care.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Deeks

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: May 21, 2014, 03:37:21 PM »
are students ignorant of what sex is and what it can result in?)

You would be surprised!!!!

1]; } ?>