April 28, 2024, 12:12:44 PM

Author Topic: From mean streets of Trinidad to World Cup fairytale  (Read 1515 times)

Offline sin

• wordspinner
  • Sr. Warrior
  • red GIRL from sando, kairi
    • View Profile
From mean streets of Trinidad to World Cup fairytale
« on: May 17, 2006, 01:56:23 AM »
Source: Caribbean Net News

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

by Ewan Smith

FALKIRK, Scotland (AFP): He grew up on the notorious Nelson Street district of Port of Spain where gambling, drug-dealing, prostitution and even murders are part of everyday life.

At 13, he witnessed his first killing as a man was shot before his very eyes halfway down a shady side-street of the Trinidad and Tobago capital.

However when Densill Theobald completes the long journey from his colourful childhood to a starring role at this year's World Cup Finals, he'll look to the heavens for thanks that he didn't choose another path in life.

Theobald, a midfielder for Scottish Premier League side Falkirk, is a devout Christian and believes that is his faith that has taken him to a showdown with England, Sweden and Paraguay in Germany 2006.

"The area I grew up in Trinidad is rife with poverty and crime," revealed 35-times capped Theobald. "The people there are very, very poor and I'm not ashamed to admit that it's what many would call a 'slum.'

"The people there have to turn to other ways to survive and because of that I have seen things that will ensure nothing in life will ever shock me. When I was growing up there were guns, murders, drugs and prostitution everywhere.

"I was 13 when I first witnessed a murder on the street with my own eyes. There have been many more killings since that day and other shocking sights.

"I have seen women taken aside in the street and beaten by men. I have seen people shooting up drugs and it would have been easy for me to have chosen another path in life.

"I could have been a killer, a gambler or I could have dabbled in drugs. But I can honestly say I have never picked up a gun or touched drugs.

"Gambling didn't interest me either because for the last 23 years football has been my life. When there have been opportunities to go as
tray a little voice in my head has always spoken and told me not to get involved. That voice is God."

Divine intervention isn't something that is new to the Soca Warriors squad.

Defender Marvin Andrews has consistently credited 'The Almighty' for enabling him to play on through a serious cruciate ligament without the aid of the customary operation and six-month layoff.

However even Glasgow Rangers star Andrews, a pastor for a small community church in Scotland, would feel that progression beyond Group B could be a stage too far for a country making its debut on the world stage.

The 1.1 million inhabitants of Trinidad and Tobago will tune into their TV screens as Theobald and co. faces the likes of David Beckham, Wayne Rooney and Steven Gerrard.

"I'm already dreaming about what it will be like," Theobald told AFP. "Just to be in the same stadium as the likes of David Beckham and Wayne Rooney will be amazing.

"But Steven Gerrard, for me, is the pick of the bunch. He's a phenomenal footballer and to face him in Germany would be an amazing experience.

"We have to go into these Finals primarily to enjoy ourselves and secondly to show that we deserve to be on the same pitch as the many superstars that play for England, Sweden and Paraguay.

"We earned the right to live with these countries by qualifying now it would be great to put on a show for the people back home."
-be the change you wish to see-

Offline morvant

• warrior nation member
  • Hero Warrior
  • malick till i die
    • View Profile
Re: From mean streets of Trinidad to World Cup fairytale
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 02:04:22 AM »
so iz he and marvin go be the official prayer men fuh de team

nice post by de way
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 08:51:27 AM »
so iz he and marvin go be the official prayer men fuh de team

nice post by de way

good post ... but if dey sayin paryers ... PLEASE PLEASE say one fuh Stern in particular ...
Snake in de balliser

Offline Johpants

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 09:12:42 AM »
I'm not too sure that he has the priorities right. I think that it should be the other way around, show that they deserve to be on the same pitch with the other more experienced and renowned players and enjoy themselves second, but that's just me.

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 10:02:16 AM »
Nah,
Realistically we facing an uphill battle. You could enjoy your world cup experience to the fullest (which doesn't mean you don't take the games seriously) because it is a once-in-a-lifetime experience, especially for a country like ours, and especiially for the older players. Or you could be sour the whole time putting your gameface on and proving that you belong.

Is like a partner from Germany tell me. He said that German fans could never have joy in the world cup like Trini fans because of the weight of expectations. Anything less than taking home the cup is a failure, whereas we can enjoy just being there and every achievement after that just adds to the excitement.

Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline weary1969

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:28:25 PM »
Spann also go be sharing in the Pastoral role.
Today you're the dog, tomorrow you're the hydrant - so be good to others - it comes back!"

1]; } ?>