April 27, 2024, 07:00:32 PM

Author Topic: At the risk of getting cuss...  (Read 5919 times)

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
At the risk of getting cuss...
« on: May 17, 2006, 12:06:06 PM »
Do you all think Latapy is in any way a liability AS A STARTER for the Warriors for the World Cup?

Judging by his average fitness over the last year, he is basically good for about 60 minutes tops. Lets say a good half.
But more importantly, he is very slow, although he controls the tempo and rhythm of our attack, you cant help but notice how he slows the game down so much.
More than likely, we will be a counterattacking team for the world cup, right?
But I guess we have no better players who can hold the ball.

He have some real hard work to do fitness wise over the next 2-3 weeks.

I personally dont see him being used other than a sub coming on at about 60 or 70 mins into the game if we behind in a close game.

I cant see him as a starter, not with Seaton, Yorke, Edwards, Birchall as sure starts, unless Beenie persevere with him as the left midfielder, which i honestly believe is not the best situation.

But the man magical and can win the game for us by himself. So different rules apply to him I guess.

I just have a feeling that we will see less of Latapy in this WC than we expect.

Offline arrow

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: At the risk of getting cuss...
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 12:07:27 PM »
:cursing:

Offline Hyperhot J

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 12:10:54 PM »
    Trini we mad at you!! Our new midfield general is called Whitley and NOT Seaton!!! Come on learn boy!! As for Latas, he may not start but that is ok. Remember against Bahrain they started John and our boy Jones, so let's see!

J.
"The abuse of greatness is when it disjoins remorse from power." 

Cassius told Brutus in Julius Caesar by Shakespeare

Offline daryn

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 12:12:23 PM »
well Latas didn't start the 2nd bahrain game or the game against Iceland.  He did start the Peru game but that had all the big hype about it being his last game on T&T soil leading up to it.  My suspicion is that his days as a starter for the team are done.  Beenhakker seems to have his starting 11 more or less set.

Offline Filho

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 12:14:38 PM »
Do you all think Latapy is in any way a liability AS A STARTER for the Warriors for the World Cup?

Judging by his average fitness over the last year, he is basically good for about 60 minutes tops. Lets say a good half.
But more importantly, he is very slow, although he controls the tempo and rhythm of our attack, you cant help but notice how he slows the game down so much.

I personally dont see him being used other than a sub coming on at about 60 or 70 mins into the game if we behind in a close game.

I cant see him as a starter, not with Seaton, Yorke, Edwards, Birchall as sure starts, unless Beenie persevere with him as the left midfielder, which i honestly believe is not the best situation.

But the man magical and can win the game for us by himself. So different rules apply to him I guess.

I just have a feeling that we will see less of Latapy in this WC than we expect.

I doh really think the man unfit and I doh think he will get any fitter. He was handling himself in Scotland where the pace of football is deadly. It is just a fact that he is 37 years old. he is a bit worn from the current season and naturally slowed down by age. There are players who were more athletic than him who done hang up their boots.I think he will be a sub and will actually play very little. Maybe when the game has slowed downa nd we still need something extra in attack. Like the Bahrain 2nd leg. He will be more of a squad leader behind the scenes.

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 12:16:28 PM »
If Latapy starts the team must take full advantage of his presence on the field bc is most likely he will be there for 45 mins max...I understand why Beenhakker wants him as a 2nd half sub but judging by the last few games we have generally started the 1st half strongly and having Latapy in de 1st half will bolster de midfield, esp with Yorke playing alongside and me mum as defensive mid

but then again I don't mind Latas comin on in de 65-70th min either

this dilemma will last until we march out against Sweden

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 12:22:24 PM »

I agree with you
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 01:49:04 PM »
our best bet is for latas to come on in the last twenty minutes and work his magic,he does not have what it takes to play the full ninety minutes.he needs  a short space of time and a free role to operate.

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 02:17:59 PM »
Latapy is not a starter for us but it has little to do with fitness, it is more to do with mobility. That is why Jones start against Bahrain and Samuel against Iceland. They are stronger, faster and more mobile.

Teams see him as our only playmaker and mark him out easily because of his size and lack of speed.

Also we still have a hard time breaking up the opposition's play and he doesn't help with that aspect either. We need as many mobile midfielders plying both ways as we can get. Until we get another true creative threat to make teams think twice about marking him he is a luxury we can't afford.

Right now Latas is a substitute, a last throw of the dice when we need something different and a cool head when we in trouble. Still our most creative player though.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline Pointman

• Hero Warrior
  • T&T football: win or lose, we still fetein'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 02:24:53 PM »
I really like how Latas was used in the second Bahrain game. Beenie is ah boss. I just wished he had scored his lone chance. Coming off the bench and playing up front will be a boone for the T&T team. Latas safe.
Trini to de bone; Pointman to de bone.

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 03:24:34 PM »
let me ask a question ....did roger milla start in the first game for cameroon? or did he come off the bench to score?

Offline #8

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 03:32:47 PM »

can somebody contact AWATT for this fellar and issue a ticket right away.

Offline marcus

• Sr. Warrior
  • BLOOD, SWEAT & TEARS
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 03:34:29 PM »
Latas was de spark yuh remember, if he did not score in the Guatemala game, we would not have made it.... that wa the point where our desstiny changed bredda man

Offline duscam

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 03:37:20 PM »
yeah but guatemala aint no sweden and england......

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2006, 03:44:55 PM »

I agree with you and the 2nd part about coming on lie 60-70 mins. Cause eh no way yuh getting 60 mins from Latas.  

The speed that England will be coming at we with...and also Sweden...I wouldn't be surprised to NOT see him even play until the 80th minute.

Dem teams in top physical fitness...and well Latas...hmmmm NOT.

Other than that...yuh cyah get cuss fuh dis :chilling:

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2006, 04:09:56 PM »
Latas should start I think vs Sweden and England. We need someone to hold the ball. If Yorke plays as a stiker then he can hold the long ball out the defence and give it to latas, who can then give us further time to find shape. It will also give the defense time to rest. The last thing we want to be doing against these teams is trying to match their pace.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 04:12:22 PM »

I'll have to check wit Gilbert but I will say that i dont think a ticket can be permitted considering that Aurtis Whitely is also known as Seaton... Im sure its part of his name/persona etc... I will look into it.
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2006, 04:57:41 PM »
Legally his name is Aurthis Otis Seaton Whitly...

or something like that :-\
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

MickeyRat

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2006, 04:59:00 PM »
Can I bum ah cigarette from one of you guys? :devil:

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2006, 07:20:38 PM »
leh meh put it dis way....if one of tnt players could replace russel latapy in de tnt starting line up.....well tnt football in a real healthy state...full stop.....if a tnt player coul keep russell latapy on the bench for 60 mins in a world cup match...well tnt football reach.....now answer this....what is beehakker's key word in his football philosphy???...."POSSESION"....right or wrong ???....which tnt midfielder/withdrawn striker could keep possesion of the football better than russel latapy???....doh say yorKe cAUSE THAT IS ONLYONE and dat is sometimes.....allyuh feel latas not going to be training hard like the rest.??...you think he not going to want to prove that he should start....???....allyuh feel he dreams are not de same as the others ??...well then...how can they keep him out???....class...class...class......the only way he wont start is because of " TACTICS'....not fitness or technique....tell me how many mins he played vz guatemala....costa rica...panama...mexico  and 2 bharain games...5 games...13 points...i goal...2 assists....we read too much into the bharain away game that latas did not start....check this....tnt 1 ..bharain 0....what min he came on...60-60 something.....what would have happened if bharain scored???....extra time ....thats a hour of high stakes pressure football....thats why he was there...so it throws the notion of "defensive liability" out the window......why did he come on with us leadng the tie 2-1 arrgreate/....why ???>...one word ..."POSSESION".....and can still turn the game around...which he almost did with his first touch...( well by 7 inches the size of the post)...he never said he was perfect......dont write the magician off....he has a massive role to play.....this is a class act we talking bout here.......rewind people...rewind....check de danger

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2006, 07:21:49 PM »
shit...ah now realise i post as small mag....is big mag here.....there is only one little magician

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2006, 08:56:54 PM »
Big Mag - So if Latas come thru and work he belly out and get to a very desireable level of fitness, maybe say a solid 65 mins out of him, where you think he will fit in the midfield?
I see Yorke, Birchall and Seaton and Edwards as certs.
Maybe Beenie didnt focus too much on Wise cause his mind made up with latas and Samuel on the left....maybe switching  with carlos like what we saw vs Mexico....Thats the only place I seeing him starting, ie keeping Samuel on the bench. If that is the case, we dont need Wise as a midfielder. And I dont think Wise is an established striker as well (trying to understand why he was selected to join the team as cover for Glen).

Or will beenie play a rotating midfield, where all 5 men rotate on the wings, drop back, push up etc etc...
Annoda thing we have to consider is that it is highly unlikely that we will have all them midfielders fit and available for all the 3 games. Men could get knocks and suspensions, so all this speculation could be thrown out the window very quickly.
T&T's fortunes rest on 3 things:
1) Our defense and their concenration
2) Latapy's magic and fitness
3) Stern John scoring like we know he could.

Offline Big Magician

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 07:16:38 AM »
well....you tell me trini
Little Magician is King.......ask Jorge Campos

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2006, 07:59:52 AM »

I'll have to check wit Gilbert but I will say that i dont think a ticket can be permitted considering that Aurtis Whitely is also known as Seaton... Im sure its part of his name/persona etc... I will look into it.

After short review of this case no ticket will be issued. !
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline Pasdah Beatz

• Spiritual Seal
  • Hero Warrior
  • I was born to die as a SoCa WaRrIoR
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2006, 08:01:59 AM »
Steups
Latas no matter he fitness cud rip yuh tun yuh up and if he put he mind tuh it, score.

Big Mags could ah put it no better possession and tactics ( fuh ah while dey ah thought smalls turn ah interlect yes till ah read de nex post)

Ah fed up ah trinis talking ah set ah shit... We don't match up tuh england... we going and get trunce all dem kinda folly... This is we team.. we first time at this level This is we breaking out right now we is virgins tuh de football world we had a little foreplay before ah lil feel up and touch up now is de real time... we going and lose we virginity now... stop all this shit bout we ain't good enough
No body i know could say their first time was dey best when they lost their virginity so let we team lost dey virginity and relish in the aftermath we jus have tuh support them tuh de end man

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2006, 08:45:50 AM »
Ah does like some of allyuh patriotism and thing eh, but the more people join this forum, the more things actuallu remain the same.
There are 2 types of posters here.
People who support T&T blindly and that is the end of the story.
People who support T&T blindly but actually think about football.

Where in my post did I say we were not good enough?

I was discussing the oldest player in the WC finals and in what capacity we will use him.

I agree that Latas will tun up and rip up and score.

But if his fitness is not where it should be, Gerard and Lampard will make mince meat out of him after one or two cameos of nice shakes and passes.

Man discussing football here breds, not virgin T&T and blind support for T&T.

That in next thread.

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2006, 11:28:55 AM »
Big Mag - So if Latas come thru and work he belly out and get to a very desireable level of fitness, maybe say a solid 65 mins out of him, where you think he will fit in the midfield?
Maybe Beenie didnt focus too much on Wise cause his mind made up with latas and Samuel on the left....maybe switching  with carlos like what we saw vs Mexico....Thats the only place I seeing him starting, ie keeping Samuel on the bench. If that is the case, we dont need Wise as a midfielder. And I dont think Wise is an established striker as well (trying to understand why he was selected to join the team as cover for Glen).

Or will beenie play a rotating midfield, where all 5 men rotate on the wings, drop back, push up etc etc...
Annoda thing we have to consider is that it is highly unlikely that we will have all them midfielders fit and available for all the 3 games. Men could get knocks and suspensions, so all this speculation could be thrown out the window very quickly.

# 1 - Agree
# 2 - Agree
# 3 - Laaaaawwwwwddddd if that is de case we buss ...
by the way anybody know what Stern scoring percentage is ... 1 in 5 shots more? less? me eh know
Snake in de balliser

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2006, 12:28:00 PM »

# 1 - Agree
# 2 - Agree
by the way anybody know what Stern scoring percentage is ... 1 in 5 shots more? less? me eh know

No other Trinidadian has scored more goals than Stern John. I would like to see him running more and  taking on defenders but when come to scoring goals he is the best we have.

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2006, 12:56:01 PM »

# 1 - Agree
# 2 - Agree

No other Trinidadian has scored more goals than Stern John. I would like to see him running more and  taking on defenders but when come to scoring goals he is the best we have.

hes the only one we've tried
Snake in de balliser

1]; } ?>