March 29, 2024, 12:08:20 AM

Author Topic: Spanish Armada Crushes The French Revolution  (Read 3764 times)

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Spanish Armada Crushes The French Revolution
« on: May 17, 2006, 04:00:38 PM »
Spanish Armada Crushes The French Revolution.
By Alan Francis

PARIS (Reuters) - Barcelona scored twice late on to stun 10-man Arsenal 2-1 and win the Champions League in a tense, absorbing 50th anniversary final at a rain-drenched Stade de France on Wednesday.
Striker Samuel Eto'o and substitute defender Juliano Belletti cancelled out a first-half header from Arsenal defender Sol Campbell and gave Barcelona the European Cup for the second time in their history.
It was a fitting outcome for Frank Rijkaard's side who battered the London club throughout the second half after Arsenal became the first side ever to have a player sent off in a European Cup final.
Rijkaard, who steered Barca to a second successive Spanish title this season, became only the fifth man to win the European Cup as a player and a manager.
Norwegian referee Terje Hauge showed German keeper Jens Lehmann a straight red card after he caught Eto'o on the fringe of the area after the Barca striker had been put through by Ronaldinho in the 18th minute.
Manager Arsene Wenger brought on Spanish goalkeeper Manuel Almunia and took off disconsolate midfielder Robert Pires, whose last appearance for Arsenal was ending in a way he could never have imagined.
Despite their numerical disadvantage, the Londoners, who had dominated the opening exchanges, refused to fold and were rewarded when Campbell outjumped the Barca defence to thump a header inside the far post eight minutes before the break.
Almunia then made an outstanding save from Eto'o just before halftime when he palmed a fierce shot against his post and at that stage it appeared as if it was going to be Arsenal's night.
Thierry Henry wasted a chance to seal it for Arsenal and 14 minutes from time they were punished.
After repelling some intense pressure they crumbled when Eto'o raced on to a neat flick from substitute Henrik Larsson, contolled the ball with his left foot, transferred it to his right foot and struck the ball home in between Almunia and his near post.
It was the first goal Arsenal had conceded in 995 minutes of Champions League play but worse was to follow when they conceded a second six minutes later.
Brazilian Belletti grabbed the winner with his first ever goal for Barca when he thundered a shot under Almunia after Larsson had played him in.
Arsenal captain Thierry Henry was disgusted with referee Terje Hauge's display,
"I was kicked all over the place. Carles Puyol and Rafael Marquez should have got yellow cards," he said.
"To defend against me with a yellow card - it's not the same game any more. I expected the referee to do his job. I don't think he did."

« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 04:13:33 PM by Flex »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Spanish Armada Crushes The French Revolution
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 04:05:20 PM »

Arsenal captain Thierry Henry was disgusted with referee Terje Hauge's display,

"I was kicked all over the place. Carles Puyol and Rafael Marquez should have got yellow cards," he said.

"To defend against me with a yellow card - it's not the same game any more. I expected the referee to do his job. I don't think he did."

''Their first goal was offside and the linesman come like he was jocking his prick thats why he couldnt raise his flag''

''I'd also like to tell all the Arsenal haters on socawarriors.net to haul their f**king ass because we will be back next season''

:rotfl:

now what in there did Henry really say ?
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 04:09:18 PM »
lol di first 2 lines but he could have easily had said the other 2  :-\

Offline Trinimassive

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 04:10:57 PM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=368290&cc=5901

Henry furious with Norwegian referee

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry accused referee Terje Hauge of favouring Barcelona after the Gunners lost the Champions League final 2-1 to the Primera Liga side.

Shaun Botterill/GettyImages
Ronaldinho fends off the challenge of Ljungberg

An emotional Henry claimed the official ignored a series of challenges on him and insisted Arsenal had 'made ourselves proud'.

He told Sky Sports 1: 'I don't know if the referee had a Barcelona shirt on because they kicked me all over the place.

'Maybe next time I'll learn how to dive. I expect the referee to do his job but I don't think he did.'

Henry added: 'Henrik Larsson was the difference but I didn't see Ronaldinho and I didn't see Eto'o.

'So many times (Carles) Puyol should have got a yellow card, so many times (Rafael) Marquez came from behind to take my ankles.

'We made ourselves proud.'

Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg added on ITV1: 'They had a lot of possession but we were leading until the 76th minute. We could have won it, this is hard for us.

'They are a great side but I felt we controlled it quite well; unfortunately they got the goals.'

Henry added on ITV1: 'I've been told that the first goal (by Eto'o) was offside. They are already a good team, so if you help them, it is going to be very difficult to beat them.'

The Frenchman had a chance to finish Barca off when Alexander Hleb played him in but his low shot was easily saved by Victor Valdes.

'I had nothing in my legs, nothing whatsoever,' he said.

'No disrespect to Barcelona, I feel we played better than them when it was 11 against 11.

'We can be proud, we can be more than proud but I'm sorry, some of the refereeing today was horrendous.'

Offline Grande

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2006, 05:03:29 PM »
looks like Henry going to Barca then

T&T welcomes back...the King

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2006, 05:37:35 PM »
looks like Henry going to Barca then

i highly doubt that

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2006, 06:09:52 PM »
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=368290&cc=5901

Henry furious with Norwegian referee

Arsenal striker Thierry Henry accused referee Terje Hauge of favouring Barcelona after the Gunners lost the Champions League final 2-1 to the Primera Liga side.

Shaun Botterill/GettyImages
Ronaldinho fends off the challenge of Ljungberg

An emotional Henry claimed the official ignored a series of challenges on him and insisted Arsenal had 'made ourselves proud'.

He told Sky Sports 1: 'I don't know if the referee had a Barcelona shirt on because they kicked me all over the place.

'Maybe next time I'll learn how to dive. I expect the referee to do his job but I don't think he did.'

Henry added: 'Henrik Larsson was the difference but I didn't see Ronaldinho and I didn't see Eto'o.

'So many times (Carles) Puyol should have got a yellow card, so many times (Rafael) Marquez came from behind to take my ankles.

'We made ourselves proud.'

Arsenal midfielder Freddie Ljungberg added on ITV1: 'They had a lot of possession but we were leading until the 76th minute. We could have won it, this is hard for us.

'They are a great side but I felt we controlled it quite well; unfortunately they got the goals.'

Henry added on ITV1: 'I've been told that the first goal (by Eto'o) was offside. They are already a good team, so if you help them, it is going to be very difficult to beat them.'

The Frenchman had a chance to finish Barca off when Alexander Hleb played him in but his low shot was easily saved by Victor Valdes.

'I had nothing in my legs, nothing whatsoever,' he said.

'No disrespect to Barcelona, I feel we played better than them when it was 11 against 11.

'We can be proud, we can be more than proud but I'm sorry, some of the refereeing today was horrendous.'

wateva..........the ref didn't allow Barca to continue the play and score on the red card...I think that gave a huge advantage to Arsenal.....they should ask Henry what his thoughts are on that.......

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2006, 06:34:59 PM »
Wenger says he can accept the red card, from his position it looked a good call. But the first goal for Barca was offside. When I watch it again he was right, Laarson touched the ball unto Eto & he was off.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2006, 06:39:20 PM »
i would rather concede the goal, i think both teams would rather he give the goal. sending the keeper off in the 20th min against barcelona is hardly doing them a favour.

Offline Bourbon

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2006, 06:42:39 PM »
Steups....If Henry hadda act like a kakahole so.......NOW SELF he could keep he tail in england. the free kick wha eboue get was wha??? (On a side note....like is a ivory coast ting!!) Yuh throw away a sitter and feeling bad. Hard LUCK!! shucks man....and allyuh does want tuh talk bout mourniho??
The greatest single cause of atheism in the world today are Christians who acknowledge Jesus ;with their lips and walk out the door and deny Him by their lifestyle. That is what an unbelieving world simply finds unbelievable.

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2006, 06:47:18 PM »
i would rather concede the goal, i think both teams would rather he give the goal. sending the keeper off in the 20th min against barcelona is hardly doing them a favour.

Rules is rules.  The rule say last man between de goal and attacker and de attacker get foul...dah man get a automatic red.  Suppose Giuly did miss?  Wha de ref was goin and do....pull back and DEN award de free kick?
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline pioneertrini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2006, 07:02:29 PM »
yeh if he had missed then i could understand but he didnt so the goal should have stood. anyway it was a shit ref. and yeh eboue dive like a prik wen he could have run onto the ball. the whole ting is if he didnt send lehmann off we would have had a very good final no matter who won.

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2006, 07:14:12 PM »

Rules is rules.  The rule say last man between de goal and attacker and de attacker get foul...dah man get a automatic red.  Suppose Giuly did miss?  Wha de ref was goin and do....pull back and DEN award de free kick?

come on Palos, you know better...Referees have the discretion to allow the advantage...a good referee is supposed to have a good sense of awareness and judgement...had he been aware and used good judgement, he would have seen that Giuly was running in on an empty net, and would have allowed the play to run....

I have seen refs wait a second to see if the advantage is established and then blow a "late" whistle if the advantage is not sustained.......you cyah say yuh never see that......that's common in modern day football. I've even seen refs allow a play to run, and then retroactively issue a card for a foul on which he allowed the advantage...tell me yuh never see that..... I not sayin' that what the ref did was "wrong", but he coulda done better........In this case he was a little too quick to blow the whistle.

Someone even mentioned a goal that Andy Cole scored against Juve in the C-league of '99 when Yorke was clearly fouled by the keeper, but the ref allowed the loose ball to run to Cole in front of an empty net.....(remember that goal ?) Rules are rules yes, but Refs are given leeway to use discretion where rules may fall a little short. It's always risky, because as you say, Giuly coulda missed, but in this case, I think it woulda been worth the risk, because it was an empty net.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 07:16:07 PM by kicker »

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2006, 07:22:33 PM »

if both teams would have rather conceded a goal, then Lehmann would not have fouled Eto'o....the replay showed that the foul was intentional.

I'd rather be a man down than a goal down anyday........and I would think that most teams think the same way, otherwise there would be no intentional hand balls on the goal line, or intentional fouls in the box etc......players are willing to sacrifice themselves to keep a scoreline even......at least so I believe.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2006, 07:27:23 PM by kicker »

Offline scarface

• Hero Warrior
  • ultra del vicchia signora
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2006, 09:09:23 PM »
Wenger says he can accept the red card, from his position it looked a good call. But the first goal for Barca was offside. When I watch it again he was right, Laarson touched the ball unto Eto & he was off.

yeh but from the linesman position he cuda neva in a million years see that larsson touch that ball fuss the touch was deft!!! & also it was a very close call to make in live speed seeing it only once. yuh cyah blame the assistant there man.

& besides henry shuda finish barca off when he had the chance

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 01:23:19 AM »

that eboue guy should allso have received a red card for a complete stupid foul onto giovanni.

Offline dinho

• Hero Warrior
  • Yesterday is Yesterday and Today is Today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 02:35:54 AM »
Steups....If Henry hadda act like a kakahole so.......NOW SELF he could keep he tail in england. the free kick wha eboue get was wha??? (On a side note....like is a ivory coast ting!!) Yuh throw away a sitter and feeling bad. Hard LUCK!! shucks man....and allyuh does want tuh talk bout mourniho??

yeah this henry is de worse... before he say, "ref coulda let de goal stand, but credit to barcelona they won we loss", is only, "i eh see no ronaldinho, i eh see no eto'o"

moan, moan, gripe, gripe, grouse, grouse.......

he good eh but i now remember why i doh like he at all... he ent get de ball and is gripe and grouse.. thanks for taking the title from mourinho cause i dub thee "the most arrogant"..

he could stay and strum that violin at de arse in dey new stadium yes... barca good just how they is...

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 02:49:26 AM »
i love both teams..my 2 favorite teams..so no matter the outcome it wudda be bitter sweet for me....however i had the opportubity to be very objective..because i had no favorite...and the referree did shit....talk done....i still tink barca wudda win either way..but the ref do shit...apart from the sending off..that is d rule..he cudnt do anyting else...d man is a barca fan... :rotfl:..is jus that he was smarter not to wear the jersey for a photo shoot :rotfl:

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 04:27:56 AM »
The refereeing was awfuk but Henry just griping.

On TF1 they showed over they had an interview with wenger while barca was collecting their trophy and he said, i had the impression it was offside. They showed it over at that moment and both french commentators (who had been highly critical of the refs) came to the conclusion that etoo was in line at worst with the last defender and apologised to the audience and decided to drop the subject.

On the other hand, on the replay of the 'foul on eboue' they both expressed doubt about its validity. One can argue that in the run of play it was difficult to spot the real eboue dive...which led to a goal so y should they have spotted the 'false etoo offside' then...?

If Henry feel he shoulda learn how to dive he should ah ask eboue for lessons  :rotfl:
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 04:56:08 AM »
The refereeing was awf**k but Henry just griping.

On TF1 they showed over they had an interview with wenger while barca was collecting their trophy and he said, i had the impression it was offside. They showed it over at that moment and both french commentators (who had been highly critical of the refs) came to the conclusion that etoo was in line at worst with the last defender and apologised to the audience and decided to drop the subject.

On the other hand, on the replay of the 'foul on eboue' they both expressed doubt about its validity. One can argue that in the run of play it was difficult to spot the real eboue dive...which led to a goal so y should they have spotted the 'false etoo offside' then...?

If Henry feel he shoulda learn how to dive he should ah ask eboue for lessons  :rotfl:

Which was worse ,Deco diving at the top of the box and receiving no call or Eboue diving and receiving a call that created Arsenal's only goal ? As you say Henry just griping. Eto'o's goal was onside and everybody saw that. There were some really stupid calls made by the ref. To be honest there were a few tackles made by barcelona players that I thought would be punished but the same can be said for Toure and Eboue. Henry just bussing up he mouth. 

Offline Jay10

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 03:49:56 PM »
in fairness to Henry, he was really abused by d barca players............dey really try to take him out

remember the play on d line wen he leave out puyol......den marquez???

were those tackles for the ball?

1]; } ?>