April 18, 2024, 07:05:30 PM

Author Topic: Butcher replaces Littbarski at Sydney FC  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Butcher replaces Littbarski at Sydney FC
« on: May 17, 2006, 12:20:33 AM »
www.foxsports.com/soccer

SYDNEY, Australia (AP) - Motherwell manager and former England defender Terry Butcher will replace premiership winning Pierre Littbarski as head coach at Sydney FC, the Australian soccer league champions announced Wednesday.

Butcher, who guided Motherwell to the Scottish Cup final in 2005, has signed for two seasons, Sydney FC said.
"We go into this relationship with a lot of confidence that the trophy is going to stay at Sydney for some time to come," said Sydney chairman Walter Bugno.

Butcher said he was relishing the shift from an underdog team to a league frontrunner.

"It's great to be back as one of the favorites, or perhaps the favorite club," he said.

"I had four wonderful years at Motherwell and I leave Scotland with good memories but football in Australia is taking giant leaps forward and I am looking forward to being a part of it."

Sydney kicks off its A-League title defense against the Central Coast Mariners in a grand final replay on Aug. 27.

Butcher played 77 international matches for England including three World Cups, making his debut in a 2-1 win over Australia in 1980 at the Sydney Cricket Ground, which adjoins Sydney FC's homeground.

He started his coaching career as a player/manager at Coventry in 1990.

Littbarski, who won a World Cup with Germany in 1990, quit earlier this month after failing to come to terms on a new contract with Sydney FC, casting doubt on the club's ability to keep star recruit Dwight Yorke.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
Former England captain Butcher takes up Sydney post
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2006, 10:59:27 PM »
http://www.fifa.com/en/WorldLeagues/index/0,4643,117958,00.html?articleid=117958
(REUTERS) 17 May 2006

Former England defender Terry Butcher has accepted the post of coach with Sydney FC, the Australian A-League champions announced on Wednesday.

Butcher, who will give up his position as manager of Scottish Premier League side Motherwell, has signed a two-year contract to replace Pierre Littbarski, who resigned earlier this month.

"It's great to be back as one of the favourites, or perhaps the favourite club," said Butcher, who made 77 appearances for England after making his debut against Australia in 1980.
"I was there for Rangers for many years and England of course, although it was quite a few years ago, so I am pretty much used to being under that pressure."

Butcher, whose playing career took him to Sunderland, Ipswich and Glasgow Rangers, retired after the 1990 FIFA World Cup to become a manager and part-time commentator.

He coached English sides Coventry and Sunderland before being appointed coach of Motherwell in 2002.

The club reached the 2005 Scottish League Cup final under his stewardship before losing 5-1 to Rangers.

Littbarski, a member of Germany's 1990 World Cup winning side, quit as coach of the Sydney side after leading them to the inaugural A-League title in March.

Sydney Chairman Walter Bugno said Butcher had received glowing references from former England manager Bobby Robson and Scotland coach Walter Smith.

"The reports that we received have been absolutely fabulous and we go into this relationship with a lot of confidence that the trophy is going to stay at Sydney for some time to come," said Bugno.
Warrior For Life !!

1]; } ?>