April 28, 2024, 04:26:18 AM

Author Topic: USA feeling no pressure..  (Read 5983 times)

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
USA feeling no pressure..
« on: May 18, 2006, 05:38:52 PM »
Source: http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/story?id=368228&cc=5901

USA feeling no pressure ahead of World Cup adventure

CARY, North Carolina, May 16 (Reuters) - The United States were one of the success stories of the 2002 World Cup finals, but Los Angeles Galaxy midfielder Landon Donovan feels no pressure to live up to that quarter-final showing this time round.

"I have a much better perspective now," Donovan said on Tuesday following a U.S. training session as the squad prepares for its Group E campaign against the Czech Republic, Italy and Ghana.

"I'm more excited just to take advantage of the whole World Cup," he said. "I just don't think about any pressure, this is fun.

"We're playing in the World Cup. Just think how many people never get to enjoy it. You don't want to get done and say 'that wasn't any fun'."

Donovan drew praise as one of the top young players at the 2002 finals where he scored twice. Heading into his second World Cup, he appreciates the measured approach his coach Bruce Arena has adopted.

"Bruce has a real understanding of getting us prepared," said Donovan. "We have stages that we're going through. First, we had to get here (to camp), we're getting fitness now -- then, he can worry about figuring the first 11."

The Americans' opening match on June 12 against the Czech Republic is just weeks away, but Donovan remains relaxed.

"We're just building the team circle, getting on the same page," he said. "It was all new for us the last time and new for him (Arena), so it was trial by error, but now he knows where we're going and what we're doing, he understands that very well."

The squad are a week into training camp and only Leeds United midfielder Eddie Lewis is absent having returned to England to prepare for his club side's match against Watford on Sunday in Cardiff with promotion to the Premier League on the line.

Manchester City midfielder Claudio Reyna thinks the team is fitter than it was in the run-up to the 2002 finals.

"The guys are at a good level now," the U.S. captain said. "We're probably a step ahead of where we were in 2002. Everybody looks sharp. As far as the team goes...everyone has started really working together."

Arena is convinced he has a better squad than that which took eventual runners-up Germany to the brink in the quarter-finals four years ago.

"We're a more experienced team and we have better players," said Arena, happily admitting he too felt no pressure heading into the finals.

"The guys with all the pressure are (Czech coach Karel) Bruckner and (Italy coach Marcello) Lippi," he quipped. "There's no pressure on Mr. Arena."

The team will be in camp until Sunday before heading for Nashville, Tennessee, where they face Morocco in a friendly on May 23. The squad will play warm-up matches against Venezuela on May 26 in Cleveland, Ohio, and Latvia on May 28 in East Hartford, Connecticut, before departing for Germany on June 1.

The U.S. will be based in Hamburg.
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Rastaman

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: USA feeling no pressure..
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2006, 06:04:49 PM »
allya have no pressure as you know the best you can do is third in your group ;D ;D
HeHeHe...well said !!

Offline 100% Barataria

• aka Nachilus
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2006, 06:07:54 PM »
allya have no pressure as you know the best you can do is third in your group ;D ;D
HeHeHe...well said !!

Ent!  I don't wish the US bad and they certainly have a talented team, but given their gp placement this WC promises to be a potentially humbling experience for them....
Education is our passport for the future for the future belongs to those who prepare for it today

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2006, 06:08:40 PM »
maybe the are smoking crack...  ??? :-\
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:24:00 PM »
HeHeHe...well said !!

Ent!  I don't wish the US bad and they certainly have a talented team, but given their gp placement this WC promises to be a potentially humbling experience for them....

Score predictions anyone?? Here are mine:

Italy 3 - 2 USA
 Ghana 1 - 4 USA
 Czech Republic 3 - 0 USA

Offline Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 06:24:37 PM »
Them lie, them under real pressure.

1) to show that 2002 was no fluke
2) that football is really becoming a serious thing in the US
3) to show that their number 5 rank is deserved
4) To appeal to the now stirring american population that they can perform on the big stage of what is supposedly the biggest sports event in the world.
5) To show MLS has something to it.

Them have a very good team. They will be under pressure to perform.
I know they will represent CONCACAF well though.

Offline elan

• Go On ......Get In There!!!!!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2006, 06:29:15 PM »
Everybody in this group beating USA. The best they could hope for is a 1-1 draw with Ghana.
<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2006, 06:33:41 PM »

4) To appeal to the now stirring american population that they can perform on the big stage of what is supposedly the biggest sports event in the world.

They will need more luck than T&T (if T&T isn't in blazing form) to get out of that first round.  If they do make it out, they will be hoping that they don't have to face Brazil in the second round.  This really means that they have to win their group and hope that Brazil does the same, or hope that both Brazil and them come second in their respective groups.  Outside of that they'll be taking serious blows in that second round...

Offline royal

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2006, 06:40:35 PM »
Of course there's no pressure for the US.Arena could ah pick his grandmother(borrowing from de mexican coach) and know one will care.

Offline UnWiseSage (aka Jahyute)

• Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2006, 07:01:26 PM »
Everybody in this group beating USA. The best they could hope for is a 1-1 draw with Ghana.

yes.

People are underestimating Ghana... and its a farely stupid thing to do... They are very physical and have alot of talent.

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2006, 07:04:13 PM »

yes.

People are underestimating Ghana... and its a farely stupid thing to do... They are very physical and have alot of talent.

Ok here are my revised scores:

Italy 3 - 2 USA
Ghana 1 - 4 USA  Ghana 4 - 1 USA
 Czech Republic 3 - 0 USA

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2006, 08:07:20 PM »
that is if they get lucky.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline LICKS4SO

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
Am I the only one that think USA could come outa their group?
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2006, 08:55:14 PM »
I doh like them too allyuh. But, they have good pooja or something. I say the states going into 2nd round at the expence of Italy.....two blue note bet. Ah go be in trini for the entire tournment.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2006, 08:59:53 PM »
Ghana: Black Stars warn Italy
Drawn against Ghana, the Czech Republic and the USA, Italy’s opening opponents in Germany will be the Africans. Steve Wilson reports on the World Cup debutant.

Italy will be meeting Ghana for the first time when the two sides begin their World Cup campaign in Hanover this summer. They appear to be the weakest team in Group E, but Marcello Lippi would be foolish to underestimate ‘The Black Stars’ as they are universally known.

It won’t be a complete meeting of strangers, as there are plenty of Italian connections in the Ghanaian squad. Known as ‘The Brazil of Africa’, and four-time champions of their continent, their most recognisable members to calcio fans are current Roma defender Samuel Kuffour and Udinese midfielder Sulley Ali Muntari. However, there are several others with a fine knowledge of the Italian game.

Cremonese’s John Mensah, Modena’s Gyan Asamoah and Torino’s Mark Edusei are all currently playing in Serie B, while national captain Stephen Appiah spent eight seasons in Italy with Udinese, Brescia and Juventus before his transfer to Turkish side Fenerbahce last summer. “Every match in our group will be tough. But Ghanaians like challenges and when difficult ones like this come along, we take them seriously,” said the 25-year-old midfielder after the draw.

Meanwhile, boss Ratomir Dujkovic played down the importance of getting some insider knowledge. “We have quite a few of our squad with experience of playing in Italy and they know a lot of their players, but that won’t be a key to the match,” he said.

So while Ghana will be a new name in the Azzurri history books, they won’t be a completely unknown element. In fact, they will be dangerous opponents – far more of a concern than maybe most are expecting. Italy’s 1-1 draw in November with another of the African World Cup debutants, the Ivory Coast, raised warning signs that this new order is not a weak alternative to the likes of Nigeria and Cameroon. You need only look at the upsets caused by the latter and Senegal at recent World Cup finals as an example of what could be in store for Marcello Lippi if he underestimates the West Africans.

Elsewhere in their ranks they have Michael Essien, Chelsea’s £24.4m midfielder. The Bison’s battle with Gennaro Gattuso in the centre of the AWD Arena on June 12 is likely to be one of the key factors in who comes out on top.

Attack is perhaps Ghana’s Achilles heel. Without a forward to match the likes of Didier Drogba, Samuel Eto’o or Obafemi Martins, they are perhaps not the same threat in front of goal as some of the other African nations. The closest they have to a star striker is new Borussia Dortmund signing Matthew Amoah, who has emerged as a key player under Dujkovic, hitting three goals in his five qualifying appearances.

While not a side of household names, Amoah believes it is the strong team spirit rather than individual superstars that makes them a danger. “The only famous players we have are Appiah and Essien,” said the 25-year-old. “The rest of the guys are relatively unknown. But we are a strong group. We work for each other. We are as one family and that is the secret of our success.”

The fact that the majority of this side have all played together in Ghana’s successful youth ranks is an important factor in squad spirit. Essien, Muntari, Mensah and several other members of the current squad all appeared in the team which were runners-up to Argentina in the 2001 World Youth Cup.

However, if Italy treat Ghana with a level of respect and play to their full ability, then no one would argue that they should be the clear favourites. Ghana simply do not have the depth of talent available as most of their squad play in lesser European Leagues, while many others are still based in the domestic championship.

Another issue that may aid Italy’s chances are the internal problems which have previously seen Muntari declare he was quitting international football and Kuffour being dropped from the national side altogether.

Kuffour played in only six qualifiers before a row with Dujkovic saw him left out, although he was recalled after a World Cup place was secured. Any more rifts in a squad that confesses to rely on a good team morale and Italy may already have a head start before a ball has even been kicked

http://www.channel4.com/sport/football_italia/2006/ghanaview.html

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/blUSVALW_Z4</a>

Offline capodetutticapi

• Hero Warrior
  • veni vidi vici
    • View Profile
Re: Am I the only one that think USA could come outa their group?
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2006, 09:01:25 PM »
I doh like them too allyuh. But, they have good pooja or something. I say the states going into 2nd round at the expence of Italy.....two blue note bet. Ah go be in trini for the entire tournment.
just fuh tinkin this i will give yuh LICKS4SO. lol.listen to me stop daydreamin.no 2nd fukin rd.
soon ah go b ah lean mean bulling machine.

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2006, 09:05:51 PM »
Them have to come so good, it not funny. They still way off on terms of international play. They still playing basic "soccer". They now trying to add a little football to their game. Biggest mistake. They do not posses the mental creativity to play football.

Offline E-man

• Hero Warrior
  • Support all Warriors. Red, White and Blacklisted.
    • View Profile
    • T&T Football History
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2006, 09:14:28 PM »
Anything can happen. I gotta say the group round can get real exciting. All it takes is for the stronger teams to draw against eachother and one of the weaker ones sneaking in a win.

But that said I don't see them having a chance v Italy and Czech. I say they're out after the round robin.

Offline Socaman

• Live Yuh Life Like Yuh Playin Mas!!!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2006, 09:16:25 PM »

Man wah wrong with yuh dred ??? ??? De US will watch de WARRIORS in de second rounds from home  :devil: :devil: :devil:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2006, 09:22:05 PM »
Them have to come so good, it not funny. They still way off on terms of international play. They still playing basic "soccer". They now trying to add a little football to their game. Biggest mistake. They do not posses the mental creativity to play football.

It might take some time before they can express that "mental creativity" that you talk about Elan......They need a little more confidence as "soccer" power........with that confidence the country will get behind the sport...You will see the lower socio-economic classes becoming more into "soccer".....

At this point, the "street" has not had its influence on the game. It's still a middle-class game in the U.S....not enough diversity of ideas on the field.....If "soccer" ever becomes a "street sport" here in the U.S...soccer will become football (as you say).......and they will be the next super power in the game.....and it will be scary.

Some more money in the sport here too will help the cause  ;D
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2006, 09:24:59 PM »
They do not posses the mental creativity to play football.

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
That basic soccer been cutting our mentally creative football since at least 1990. I hold no brief for the Americans but I somehow have some trouble understanding your point.

They're not talented enough i understand
They don't have enough exposure/experience i understand
They're lacking the fitness I understand
They're lacking the mental creativity  ???

I can name at least 4 european sides reknowned for their lack of 'mental creativity' that have succeeded in getting to the second round already  ::)
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline elan

• Hero Warrior
  • WaRRioR fOr LiFe!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2006, 09:30:09 PM »
Insert Quote
Quote from: elan on Today at 11:05:51 PM
They do not posses the mental creativity to play football

What the hell is that supposed to mean?
That basic soccer been cutting our mentally creative football since at least 1990. I hold no brief for the Americans but I somehow have some trouble understanding your point.

They're not talented enough i understand
They don't have enough exposure/experience i understand
They're lacking the fitness I understand
They're lacking the mental creativity 

I can name at least 4 european sides reknowned for their lack of 'mental creativity' that have succeeded in getting to the second round already 

Hey I am not comparing them to anyone. I am just commenting on their "soccer", and becoming a world power. Yes they been beating us, only becasue of coaching. This last quialifiers I am talking about. They had the smarter coach.

Offline Mango Chow!

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2006, 09:55:03 PM »

I think maybe some of us don't WAN'T to see them succeed (I for one don't) but they does always seem to come up with some kinda goods to get them through to the knockout stage (who in they right mind coulda conceive them DISMANTLIN' portugal the way they did in Japan/Korea 2002?!?) but I just want to see dem get LIX FUH SO!!

Not because a man ears long and he teet' long dat it make him a Jackass!

Offline JDB

• Hero Warrior
  • Red, White and Black till death
    • View Profile
    • We Reach
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2006, 10:15:13 PM »
The US is in a tough group but it is not unthinkable. Their style of football is to not make mistakes and capitalize on the opponent's errors.

If Italy and/or the Czech's slip, the US will capitalize.
THE WARRIORS WILL NOT BE DENIED.

Offline trinbago

• Hero Warrior
  • Warrior For Life !!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2006, 11:51:43 PM »

I actually think they have a godd chance of qualifying...( I don't hold grudges for that long)
Warrior For Life !!

Offline WARRIORKING

• Deep into weaponry
  • Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2006, 12:12:15 AM »
allyuh men who counting usa out is rell mad men ,apparently alllyuh ain't see the last world cup and the usa had 4 years to improve from that .just from straight confidence and pride alone the usa a could win they doesn't play a fanscy brand of football but with anything the pust the hands on the usually get the job done .the name of this country call the united states is more powerful than u think ..all i saying don't sleep on them and anybody want to put a bottle of blue label on it i say they go come out they group.
My lyrical tendency`s equivalent to a critical felony
Precise behind bars like a criminal`s penalty
Pinnacle definitely, hold so much jewels in my miracle memory
It`s like I`m a physical treasury
I was born with a difficult destiny, not your typical mentally
Givin my vision through treacheries

Offline marcel

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2006, 01:24:13 AM »

yes
you are the only one

Offline boss

• Hero Warrior
  • When I grow up I want to be Dennis Lawrence
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2006, 03:17:34 AM »
I think this group is the real group of death...I think any 2 of those 4 teams could progress...in my predictions I had Czech Republic topping the group and Ghana coming second...but anything could happen...

Offline Midknight

• Midknight
  • Hero Warrior
  • President of the Reality Check Commitee
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2006, 04:34:57 AM »

They will need more luck than T&T (if T&T isn't in blazing form) to get out of that first round.  If they do make it out, they will be hoping that they don't have to face Brazil in the second round.  This really means that they have to win their group and hope that Brazil does the same, or hope that both Brazil and them come second in their respective groups.  Outside of that they'll be taking serious blows in that second round...

Hoss there's no shame in losing to Brazil...one can even say that it is like becoming part of history  ;D
Go Black if you want Jack to Track Back! I support all Soca Warriors - Red, White and Blacklisted.

D baddest SW compilation ever

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2006, 05:27:51 AM »
HeHeHe...well said !!

Score predictions anyone?? Here are mine:

Italy 3 - 2 USA
 Ghana 1 - 4 USA
 Czech Republic 3 - 0 USA

WHAT ... if iz one team beating USA is Ghana ... Italy and Czech Rep playing right into Arenas hands ... flip dem score arong dat is de real outcome ...
Snake in de balliser

Offline Jah Gol

• Hero Warrior
  • Ronaldinho is the best player of our era
    • View Profile
    • The Ministry of Noise
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2006, 06:09:49 AM »

It might take some time before they can express that "mental creativity" that you talk about Elan......They need a little more confidence as "soccer" power........with that confidence the country will get behind the sport...You will see the lower socio-economic classes becoming more into "soccer".....

At this point, the "street" has not had its influence on the game. It's still a middle-class game in the U.S....not enough diversity of ideas on the field.....If "soccer" ever becomes a "street sport" here in the U.S...soccer will become football (as you say).......and they will be the next super power in the game.....and it will be scary.

Some more money in the sport here too will help the cause  ;D

I've never lived in the US so I can only guage the situation based on what see in the media. When you look at the profiles of the players you don't see New York, Chicago, Los Angelos, Miami etc as the home town of many of the players. I would think that these cities being the major population centres of the US should produce more players. What can they do to urbanize football ? As much as I don't like to see America win at any sport I'm sure that if effectively managed a country with such a great sporting tradition give the world some excellent players to the world.

1]; } ?>