April 26, 2024, 07:35:40 PM

Author Topic: Terry backing for skipper Beckham  (Read 897 times)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Terry backing for skipper Beckham
« on: May 22, 2006, 11:44:03 AM »
Terry backing for skipper Beckham

David Beckham has been backed to remain as England captain after the World Cup - by one of the men earmarked to take over from him.

John Terry has been suggested as a possible successor to Beckham, but the Chelsea skipper believes players are still learning from the Real Madrid midfielder.

Beckham will lead England at the World Cup next month but his tenure as captain has been questioned, particularly as his close relationship with boss Sven-Goran Eriksson will come to an end when the Swede stands down after the tournament.

Terry paid tribute to his England team-mate in a documentary on ITV1 called David Beckham: A Footballer's Story, which is screened on Tuesday evening.

"It's absolutely ridiculous, so many times you see it on the papers: should he be England captain?" Terry said.

"We've got the right man in charge, whether it be for another four or five years, he's certainly the man and an example to other players and we certainly learn from him."

Terry's performances as Chelsea captain has seen him tipped to do the same job at international level, while Steven Gerrard has shown his leadership qualities at Liverpool.

However, the 25-year-old Terry believes England have a real chance of glory at the World Cup in Germany with Beckham leading the side.

"It's such a massive World Cup and for Becks to be man leading us there with such a great squad of players, we've got a real chance," he added.

"He must feel that inside as well that you know that it's a chance possibly for him to lift the World Cup."

Beckham has played for England 87 times and has reiterated his desire to pass the 100-cap mark.

He added: "I want to carry on playing for the country and leading England out as much as possible and as many games as possible."

Beckham wants to pass the number of caps held by Sir Bobby Moore and Sir Bobby Charlton, which is 108 and 106 respectively.

"I'd love to get up to Sir Bobby Moore or Sir Bobby Charlton's record of caps. I would love to reach that," he said.

http://msn.foxsports.com/soccer/story/5629280

Offline sprog

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Terry backing for skipper Beckham
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2006, 01:21:36 PM »
i would have supported a switch initially cause Terry and Gerrard are great captains but Becks form has picked up to the end of the season and his pride for his country and being captain would assist his form and make him an inspiration to other teammates.

1]; } ?>