April 29, 2024, 06:11:58 AM

Author Topic: Following the Soca Warriors in Europe (BBC Caribbean)  (Read 987 times)

Offline trinindian

• Hero Warrior
  • Curried Wild Meat With Plenty Hot Pepper
    • View Profile
Following the Soca Warriors in Europe (BBC Caribbean)
« on: May 23, 2006, 01:27:31 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/caribbean/news/story/2006/05/060519_socawarriorsabroad.shtml

On the road to Germany

By Franka Philip
Following the Soca Warriors in Europe

The countdown party for the World Cup started after Carnival
Today I got an email with the subject ‘Parties in Germany.’
I laughed because it’s so typical of Trinis, we haven’t even gotten our tickets for the World Cup games but we’re thinking about where we could party in Germany.

The countdown party for the World Cup started after Carnival

It will be interesting to see what the Germans make of the hundreds of people – myself included - dressed in red wining down to the ground, waving flags and singing ‘I’m a Soca Warrior!’

I guess that pretty much sums up the average Trinidad and Tobago fan’s view of the World Cup, it’s a chance to show the rest of the world how good we are at partying.

Just remember us!

We will be totally overjoyed if the Soca Warriors caused an upset and won a game but even if Trinidad and Tobago doesn’t make waves on the pitch, the Germans will certainly remember us for good jamming and wining.

Partying and liming aside, most of the Trinidadians I’ve spoken are just proud that they have the opportunity to be in Germany to support their country at one of the world’s biggest sporting events.

All to play for at the Kaiserslautern in Berlin

Some said they want to be able to tell their children and grandchildren about the goal Dwight Yorke scored against Sweden, or how brilliantly Kenwyne Jones dribbled past Steven Gerrard, Ashley Cole and Jamie Carragher of England.

Others like Avalon who isn’t a big football fan feels going to the World Cup is a matter of national pride.

"Don't about football"

“I have to pinch myself, can't believe I'm actually going to the World Cup. I probably would have gone regardless but the fact that T&T is playing I think it is my duty to be there. But don’t ask me nothing bout football!”

A number of Trinis who will be in Germany, have found it hard to ignore that country’s Nazi past, and with ethnic minorities being warned against visiting some parts of Germany, concerns about safety are understandable.

“I have heard other Trinis expressing a slight apprehension about how they will be perceived and welcomed by the Germans,” said Sean, a Trinidadian living in Sutton, Surrey.

“Of course, as ethnic minorities, we all harbour that little worry - no matter how small and unwarranted - about visiting a country that 60 years ago was preaching genocide and the birth of an Aryan nation.”

Wider Caribbean support

But the football fever isn’t only confined to Trinis as many of our Caribbean cousins living in London are also making the trek to support the Soca Warriors.

The Soca Warriors have support from the whole Caribbean.

Alex Jordan, the Bajan DJ who hosts the International Sounds of Soca on BBC 1Xtra is going to be in Nuremberg for the TT v England game as part of the 1Xtra team.

“As a Barbadian living in England, I am well aware how unusual it is to hear Trinidad & Tobago’s name mentioned alongside the worlds’ greatest footballing nations – and as we’re neighbours geographically and culturally, I feel as proud as if it were Barbados, ok not quite!” she told me.

“I’m so excited at the prospect of taking our island lightness of spirit and brightness of being to Germany. It’s almost better going in as such a huge underdog – you can enjoy it! Our victory is in our very arrival.”

I totally agree with Alex, Trinidad and Tobago’s qualification was an extraordinary story.

I can’t wait to get to Germany, yes to be a part of history and to see how the Soca Warriors acquit themselves on the pitch but most importantly to jam and wine with the rest of Trinis and show those Germans how to party in true-Trinidad style.

1]; } ?>