April 19, 2024, 12:55:25 PM

Author Topic: 3rd 0DI W.I vs India Today  (Read 5985 times)

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
3rd 0DI W.I vs India Today
« on: May 23, 2006, 04:09:31 AM »
cmon west indies..win de toss and put India in! :praying:

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
  • Warrior Nation Member #44
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
3 ODI - West Indies vs India (review and scoring update thread)
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2006, 07:17:49 AM »
Plenty thing here to read fellahz... enjoy.

West Indies v India, 3rd ODI, St Kitts

The Caribbean awakes

The Preview by Siddhartha Vaidyanathan at St Kitts

May 22, 2006

Dwayne Bravo has opened up a series that was supposed to be one-sided © Getty Images

Dwayne Bravo's final-over heroics have got the Caribbean stirring. Suddenly the streets and bars are more abuzz with cricket than with football and there have even been suggestions, albeit prematurely, about the re-emergence of the West Indies. Brian Lara and his boys have shown what they can do. Now, as the teams prepare for the joust at St Kitts, it's a question of who will blink first.

If the entire population of St Kitts and Nevis is packed into the Eden Gardens in Kolkata, the stadium will only be half full. India's third one-day international, to be staged in miniscule Basseterre, will be the first-ever international game at Warner Park and the enthusiasm is so high that Tuesday has been declared a national holiday. Locals still talk about a disappointing day in the late '70s, when a World Series game was washed out. St Kitts is yet to produce an international cricketer but that hasn't diminished the frenzied interest for the contest.

Both sides had a light work-out session on the eve of the match. The practice pitches were a bit slow and damp, something that Bennett King hoped would be rectified soon. Virender Sehwag's two indifferent performances prompted speculation; as did Irfan Pathan's two failures at No.3 and Mahendra Singh Dhoni's position at No.7. None of this is, however, likely to affect Rahul Dravid and Co. India may continue to make changes - both in personnel and in batting strategy - yet panic they won't. You don't win 19 of your last 26 games without possessing a certain mental steel. As far as personnel go Sreesanth may come in for Munaf Patel, while West Indies may replace Jerome Taylor with Corey Colleymore.

One thing they will have to combat is Lara's captaincy, whose leadership proved vital in the climactic stages of the second game. "He showed some courage with the bowling changes," added King, "rotated the field in between overs and kept key fielders in key positions. I enjoy people who take risks and he's someone who does that." Lara will not die wondering; India can expect a few more surprises.

Only two games, of any sort, have been held here before - both when St Kitts took on a visiting Lancashire side. First-innings scores of 197 and 210 don't sound too promising for the batsmen, bringing visions of the second game at Sabina Park, but Bennett King felt differently. "It looks flat and should produce a lot of runs. The short boundaries and beautiful outfield will be conducive for the batsmen." Steadroy Douglas, the chief groundsman, predicts 260. Ramnaresh Sarwan concurred. In the end, they all may be right; or all may be wrong. The beauty lies in the uncertainty.

Teams

West Indies (probable) 1 Chris Gayle, 2 Runako Morton, 3 Ramnaresh Sarwan, 4 Brian Lara (capt), 5 Shivnarine Chanderpaul, 6 Marlon Samuels, 7 Dwayne Bravo, 8 Carlton Baugh (wk), 9 Ian Bradshaw, 10 Corey Collymore, 11 Fidel Edwards.

India (probable) 1 Rahul Dravid (capt), 2 Virender Sehwag, 3 Mahendra Singh Dhoni (wk), 4 Yuvraj Singh, 5 Mohammad Kaif, 6 Suresh Raina, 7 Irfan Pathan, 8 Ajit Agarkar, 9 Ramesh Powar, 10 Harbhajan Singh, 11 Sreesanth.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 07:21:11 AM by Jefferz »
since ah born or at least circa Copa Caribe

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: 3rd 0DI W.I vs India Today
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2006, 07:19:41 AM »
cmon west indies..win de toss and put India in! :praying:

whatever way it comes we should try to squeeze out every last run and as for when we are feilding may not take so many wickets but we need to subdue them... we seem to be very good at that... when India get under pressure and they know they have to take big chances and try to get boundries... wickets will then start to roll.

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
Re: 3 ODI - West Indies vs India (review and scoring update thread)
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2006, 07:20:23 AM »
'Both teams rely on experience to pull through' - King

Cricinfo staff

May 22, 2006

Brian Lara's role is a high-value one, feels Bennett King © Getty Images

Bennett King, the coach of West Indies, has hit on the experience factor in both his side and India as they battle it out in the five-match one-day international series. King, with a relatively young and inexperienced squad, summed up the series as one that would rely on senior players to pull through.

"Both teams rely on experience to pull through and probably are also the teams who have inexperienced bowling attacks, so that way it has been pretty similar from them so far," King told Press Trust of India. King singled out Brian Lara's role in West Indies' series-levelling win at Kingston, too: "[Brian] Lara has a lot of experience and what I like about him is that he believes in taking risks. Such things add a lot of value."

King termed working with the present West Indies team as both an exhilarating and frustrating experience. "These guys are wonderful athletes. I mean, we have four or five cricketers who are exceptional in terms of movement across the ground," he said. "And it is not just cricket, even those in rugby rate a few of our players who are better than even them. Dwayne Smith for instance is once in a lifetime athlete. He brings a lot of value to the side in the field. He is only 21, so in terms of experience he is still a puppy."

As for the bowling, King said there was room for improvement in a side he judged would stay pretty much the same for next year's World Cup. "Edwards' pace is down a bit but he can be a handful. Jerome Taylor can swing the ball and Bradshaw has been good but still we have some work to do in this area," he said. "It's more or less the key but there are a few players outside this mix who we are keeping our eyes on. But World Cup is still nine months away and things can change."

Both King and Ramnaresh Sarwan, whose unbeaten 98 proved the fulcrum of West Indies' innings in the previous match, stressed on the batting and sluggish pitches in the Caribbean as the reason for low-scoring contests. "We lost early wickets in Sabina Park the other day and ended up around 200. Other teams would still have gone up to 250, so that's the area where we need to work upon," was King's take, while Sarwan added: "I personally feel a total of 260-270 is going to be a good total on the Caribbean pitches."

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2006, 07:20:50 AM »
West Indies v India, 3rd ODI, St Kitts

Nobody is a favourite now - Yuvraj

Siddhartha Vaidyanathan at St Kitts

May 22, 2006

Had India won the 2nd ODI, Yuvraj Singh would have rated that innings as his best © Getty Images

Yuvraj Singh has admitted that losing the second one-dayer at Jamaica, by a one-run margin, had been a "shattering" experience. He asserted that the defeat hadn't come about because of India "under-estimating" West Indies, and felt that "nobody were favourites" for the third one-dayer at St. Kitts.

"We were not that surprised," he said when asked about West Indies' fightback. "We knew the wicket was slow and it was tough to bat on it. You can't lose early wickets when you're chasing and we lost some. But I thought we can still win if I stayed till the end. I've done it in the past. We don't want to under-estimate anyone, especially a team that has Chris Gayle and Lara. We know we need to play to our best."

Considering the rate at which Yuvraj has been reeling off gems - three hundreds and six fifties in the last seven months - the only person who could tell you the quality of the last innings was probably himself. "Had we won the game, I would have rated it as my best. It was a slow wicket and I was batting with the tail. To pull it off from that stage would have been incredible for me. Now you can say it was one of my best innings."

India's recent successes have meant, as Rahul Dravid pointed out, that the tailenders haven't had much time out in the middle. Yet, Yuvraj preferred to talk about himself. "If at all anyone has to be blamed, it's me. I was there till the end and should have finished it. It was very tough for a new batsman coming in to bat on that wicket."

In the 44 games prior to the Sri Lanka home series in October, he had a mere five fifties and a hundred. There have been several reasons for Yuvraj transformation. "I'm getting a chance to bat higher up the order sot that gives me more time. I've been playing international cricket for five years now and have always wanted to take my game to a certain level. I'm beginning to do that and I need to go on from here. There are many reasons for it - reading books, talking to Greg [Chappell] about the mental side of my batting, support from family ..."

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2006, 07:40:34 AM »
India one the toss and decided to bat... updates to come soon...

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2006, 07:43:01 AM »
1-1!!

and bradshaw gets a wicket in the FIRST OVER!

however first ball of the second over edwards bowled it wide short and fast and im not sure who but which indian batsman it is dispatched it to the boundry while bravo nearly got a hand to it... nearly another wicket hwoever it was a no ball so it wouldnt have counted anyway... bad start for fidel edwards good start for the WINDIES.

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2006, 08:58:54 AM »
97/2 (16.4 Overs)

Taylor leaking runs... i aint know why dey aint pick collymore seeing dat taylor was we most expensive bowler for the previous 2 onedayers (the writing was on d wall).... Lara and King goto take stick for his selection here as we may have just lost d game cuz ah d fact that lara prob aint gonna bowl taylor out as he getting too much wood... steups again

if we get Sehwag out soon we may be ok... if not the current run rate of 5.89 would propel them to over 300 runs after 50 overs, which would be very very difficult for windies to chase on a pitch that is getting lower in bounce and slower in pace.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 09:02:51 AM by vibetrini »

Offline Warrior till death

• Hero Warrior
  • WARRIOR NATION MEMBER #4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2006, 10:09:47 AM »
Live Score Feed
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/wivind/engine/match/239917.html?view=frameset;wrappertype=frameset

INDIA ARE NOW 196/3 with Sehwag approaching 100!  >:(

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2006, 10:27:45 AM »
211/4 (37.1 Ovs) - Dhoni just get run-out for 15 ... that can be game changer if windies bowl tightly now.

If windies can restrict them to under 280 ... game on.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 10:29:25 AM by vibetrini »

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2006, 10:33:10 AM »
1)

Kaif jus run-out!!!!
I think Chanders to Baugh lick way d stumps

216/5

only bowlers to come (pathan can bat though)

2) Wait wait

Pathan Out!!!! Caught&Bowled by Samuels 219/6 (40.5 Ovs)  ... TI wha u saying bout sameuls now ???? (i on kix) buh in all seriousness, Samuels spin really doing d job so far in d series.

3) last 5 overs India have scored 9 runs and lost 3 wickets!

4) Sarwan in to bowl (44th over)!!!!!

Doh make joke - Sarwan just bowl Powar! check outside see if d sky looking green.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 10:47:06 AM by vibetrini »

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2006, 11:14:15 AM »
India: 246/9 (50.0 Ovs) ... after India was on par to pake 300 plus who would have thought! ... up to the boys to get a good start and score runs before Harbajan and Powar bowl dey off-spin as we see how dis is a spinners track...

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2006, 11:15:21 AM »
correct and thats what happened... India bat first and make India: 246/9 (50.0 Ovs)

Offline vibetrini

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2006, 11:59:24 AM »
1) Gayle and Samuels opening! Samuels (?) anyhow dis is the most interesting move ah d day (more interesting dan dat one over by Sarwan)!

We start off slow 6/0 (3.0 Ovs), buh lewwe see if dem boyz can avoid losing a wicket early.

2) West Indies: 35/2 (10.0 Ovs) Samuels and Morton get lbw... Smaules doing crap with the bat for 6 straight innings now, and again Morton cyah play swing bowling - so he should rest for the rest of the series, and i feel he go suffer in d tests too.

I see Taylor and Samuels getting dropped for the two odis in TnT for Collymore and Smith.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 12:33:27 PM by vibetrini »

Offline ann3boys

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »
Okay guys, don't hate .. but I haven't heard the commentators on the cricket explain the 'power play' concept in a form I could understand. Is it just the field changes? what's the benefit to both sides?
help a girl out...why doncha

Offline Rani5

• Soca Warriors!: Going for Gold
  • New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2006, 01:06:03 PM »
End of 16th over.. 64 for 2 ( Gayle 22 & Sarwan )

.. commentators said samuels' decision was a bad one. the ball looked like it would go over the stumps.
*Necessity is the Mother of Invention*

Offline Rani5

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 01:43:38 PM »
 >:(  Gayle out! Caught behind for 40 ( 25th over)

Partnership of 84

120/3

Lara in.. Sarwan on 54..

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 01:45:46 PM »

.. commentators said samuels' decision was a bad one. the ball looked like it would go over the stumps.

Right! Dey cheat him out! So T.I doh open yuh mouth. Anybody have ah audio link?
www.westindiantube.com

Check it out - it real bad!

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 01:50:47 PM »

Offline Rani5

• New Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 01:57:08 PM »
LOL  ;D

Right! Dey cheat him out! So T.I doh open yuh mouth. Anybody have ah audio link?

131 for 4 - 28 overs

Lara caught at slip for 5 by Rahul Dravid ( tried to flick the ball away)

Chanderpaul in!  :D.. Sarwan on 60 :beermug:

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 02:07:49 PM »
Waay, dem commntators trying tuh put men tuh sleep oui. Who dem backing anyway? Steupsss

154/4 West Indies

Chanders and Sarwan still in de wicket.

Dem commentators dotish ah wha'? Talking bout at de end ah de 50th over.  ::)
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 02:19:54 PM »
WTF?? According to dem commentators West Indies losing runs! Dey dung tuh 143.  ::) Weys de modda c*nt score  ???
www.westindiantube.com

Offline sinned

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 02:20:30 PM »
yeah boy. some old senile commentators real boring...

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2006, 02:27:57 PM »
yeah boy. some old senile commentators real boring...

If!!!

146/4 Runner came on for Chanderpaul.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2006, 02:29:20 PM »
Mid-off boundary by Chanders. 150/4
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2006, 02:30:03 PM »
Another boundary! Chanders boy!! Long-off this time.

154/4
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Jefferz

• "hopelessly faithful"
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
    • facebook.com
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2006, 03:24:37 PM »
Sarwan is batting like a master and we are about to win!

Offline Toppa

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2006, 03:27:58 PM »
Sarwan is batting like a master and we are about to win!

he make ah goodcentury dey.

We looking like we go take ah comfortable win.

21 from 19 balls

Ah just prayin we doh lose ah wicket.
www.westindiantube.com

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2006, 03:45:00 PM »
Lawd, this cricket thing does have me too tense...

6 runs required from 5 balls, man getting run out... Lbw.. damn....
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

1]; } ?>