March 28, 2024, 11:39:50 AM

Author Topic: Owen comes through England training  (Read 4384 times)

Offline Brej

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Owen comes through England training
« on: May 16, 2006, 10:31:42 AM »
Michael Owen pulled on an England shirt for the first time in seven months to give Sven-Goran Eriksson a World Cup boost.

The Newcastle United striker came through a full training session with his international team-mates with no apparent ill effects at their training camp in Portugal.

Owen has been sidelined since breaking a metatarsal in a collision with Tottenham and England keeper Paul Robinson at White Hart Lane on New Year's Eve.

His last involvement with England was when scoring twice in the thrilling 3-2 win over Argentina in Geneva in early November.

Owen has been restricted to just 29 minutes' action as a substitute against Birmingham at St Andrews last month since suffering the setback.

But he is pencilled in to play in the B international with Belarus at Reading on May 25 ahead of the warm-up internationals with Hungary and Jamaica at Old Trafford.

Five of Eriksson's 23-man squad - confirmed yesterday - were not present with strike partner Wayne Rooney continuing to receive treatment Manchester United for his broken metatarsal.

Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell will be in Champions League final action for Arsenal against Barcelona tomorrow, Steven Gerrard has been given a week's break after his exertions for Liverpool while captain David Beckham finishes his commitments with Real Madrid tonight.

Jamie Carragher, Nigel Reo-Coker, Peter Crouch and Owen Hargreaves were rested after their weekend exertions with Liverpool, West Ham and Bayern Munich respectively.

Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas and Charlton defender Luke Young - one of five players on stand-by - only participated in some light work after recent shin and ankle injuries respectively.

But there was a first training session with England for surprise selection 17-year-old Theo Walcott, who was not required by Arsene Wenger for the battle in Paris.

Offline oconnorg

• PROUD MEMBER OF THE WARRIOR NATION
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Owen comes through England training
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 10:44:39 AM »
lawrd.. Rooney out, owen in .. geeze an!
COMMISSIONER OF THE ANTI WAGGONIST ASSOCIATION OF TRINIDAD AND TOBAGO (AWATT)

The Warrior Nation
www.TheWarriorNation.com

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2006, 10:54:14 AM »
I fraid he more than Rooney...

Offline 1989

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2006, 11:51:55 AM »
Given the stats, all of them should be afraid of Stern... Stern has more goals than anybody enterin this year's world cup...
Soca Warriors!  All the rest are joker warriors!

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2006, 03:30:27 PM »
If allyuh want to fraid men on England side, Fraid Gerrard.
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Small Magician aka Wazza

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2006, 04:29:07 PM »
Michael Owen pulled on an England shirt for the first time in seven months to give Sven-Goran Eriksson a World Cup boost.

The Newcastle United striker came through a full training session with his international team-mates with no apparent ill effects at their training camp in Portugal.

Owen has been sidelined since breaking a metatarsal in a collision with Tottenham and England keeper Paul Robinson at White Hart Lane on New Year's Eve.

His last involvement with England was when scoring twice in the thrilling 3-2 win over Argentina in Geneva in early November.

Owen has been restricted to just 29 minutes' action as a substitute against Birmingham at St Andrews last month since suffering the setback.

But he is pencilled in to play in the B international with Belarus at Reading on May 25 ahead of the warm-up internationals with Hungary and Jamaica at Old Trafford.

Five of Eriksson's 23-man squad - confirmed yesterday - were not present with strike partner Wayne Rooney continuing to receive treatment Manchester United for his broken metatarsal.

Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell will be in Champions League final action for Arsenal against Barcelona tomorrow, Steven Gerrard has been given a week's break after his exertions for Liverpool while captain David Beckham finishes his commitments with Real Madrid tonight.

Jamie Carragher, Nigel Reo-Coker, Peter Crouch and Owen Hargreaves were rested after their weekend exertions with Liverpool, West Ham and Bayern Munich respectively.

Tottenham midfielder Jermaine Jenas and Charlton defender Luke Young - one of five players on stand-by - only participated in some light work after recent shin and ankle injuries respectively.

But there was a first training session with England for surprise selection 17-year-old Theo Walcott, who was not required by Arsene Wenger for the battle in Paris.

:beermug: :beermug: :beermug:

MickeyRat

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2006, 04:39:00 PM »
I'm backing Owen to score 4 goals during the WC campaign (0 during the Trinidad & Tobago encounter). :beermug:

Offline kicker

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2006, 04:58:34 PM »
Given the stats, all of them should be afraid of Stern... Stern has more goals than anybody enterin this year's world cup...

check the stats and see Stern's scoring rate against opposition outside of CONCACAF (specifically against European opposition).......and then ask again if they should be afraid of him.......
Live life 90 minutes at a time....Football is life.......

Offline thane

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2006, 05:26:39 PM »
d man to fraid...is GERARD...SUPER G...LOL....trust me..das england best player

Offline jose

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2006, 06:08:33 PM »
joe cole and frank lampard and the men to be afraid of

Offline Bitter

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2006, 06:28:24 PM »
I guess basically men agreeing that while england might be missing thier top forwards, they still more than deadly.  Heed my warning! Don't leave Gerrard alone! Ask Shaka. (i need some lightning and ominous music to go with that)

All I can say is I glad they eh bringin Defoe
Bitter is a supercalifragilistic tic-tac-pro

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2006, 09:15:59 PM »
boy I swear Gerrard must be play about 200 game this season
that man season must be start since June last year

I feel Sven should leave home Rooney and Owen and start Gerrard as striker
them goals he score this weekend were classics

Més que un club.

Offline saga pinto

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2006, 09:27:22 PM »

check the stats and see Stern's scoring rate against opposition outside of CONCACAF (specifically against European opposition).......and then ask again if they should be afraid of him.......

very good point kicker,these people will never learn, it all depends upon the oppostion you're playing,as you said he's coming up against a totally different kind of opposition................

Offline Disgruntled_Trini

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2006, 09:57:37 PM »

very good point kicker,these people will never learn, it all depends upon the oppostion you're playing,as you said he's coming up against a totally different kind of opposition................

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
all yuh blaspheming
the man is the best thing in ah boots

Because Sol Campbell and Terry now start playing football and them does fall for anything

Because when yuh stand with the back to the goal and lay off and run into the box for the pass that never comes does fool everybody

it tried and tested

Més que un club.

Offline FF

• Board Moderator
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2006, 10:03:53 PM »

you studying he?

according to he, Stern better than Ronaldo....

Also according to he... Trinidad sure to beat Real Madrid but we might get a lil fight from Barcelona

lol gimme a break!!  ::)
THE BEATINGS WILL CONTINUE UNTIL MORALE IMPROVES

Offline gtokyo

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2006, 10:08:35 PM »
I doe see Shaka starting in d England game so me ent worry about Gerrard..Shaka already play against England(D FACUP)..I know Jack goe stop him though... :devil:

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2006, 10:43:20 PM »

saga wha yuh talkin down for, point out to the youth buh wha is "dese" ppl.

Tell meh ? Gerrad eva come up against ah Whitley in he tail ? he deal with better yuh sayin...ok...prove it...Shaka only had a club team in front of him, watch when he come with he have some warriors in front and ah whole Nation behind ! Bring Gerrad come....Suk him..deh big fella.....NEXT

;)

Offline kappy

• Sr. Warrior
  • Tantie whey yuh dey !!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2006, 09:27:22 AM »

saga wha yuh talkin down for, point out to the youth buh wha is "dese" ppl.

Tell meh ? Gerrad eva come up against ah Whitley in he tail ? he deal with better yuh sayin...ok...prove it...Shaka only had a club team in front of him, watch when he come with he have some warriors in front and ah whole Nation behind ! Bring Gerrad come....Suk him..deh big fella.....NEXT

;)

eyh boy .. Gerrard boss and with Lampard dey too ... but ah agree wit yuh ... Whiltey and Birchall cud handle dem ... an den they go surprised ...

boy i fraid fuh Stern against Terry and Rio ... they might cage him up ... but Stern cud beats an might poison dem once in a while (lawd ah cyar belive i jus say dat yes .... ah goin an drink some babash)
Snake in de balliser

Offline jimbo

• I iz a Piper!
  • Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Skipper Owen to start for England
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2006, 09:43:32 AM »
England B v Belarus  BBC SPORTS
Madejski Stadium, Thursday 25 May, 2005 BST
Live commentary on BBC Radio Five Live

Owen will start up front against Belarus alongside Peter Crouch
Michael Owen will captain the England B team against Belarus on Thursday.

Coach Sven-Goran Eriksson starts with Owen in attack alongside Peter Crouch to test out their partnership, while Theo Walcott will come off the bench.

Ashley Cole and Sol Campbell start in defence as they continue their return to full fitness after injury.

Owen Hargreaves is at right-back, while Michael Carrick and Jermaine Jenas play in central midfield and Aaron Lennon and Stewart Downing are on the wings.

David James has been given the nod over Rob Green in goal.

The game was originally organised to give England's fringe players a run-out, but with several players short of match fitness, Eriksson has revised his plans.

Foot and ankle injuries kept Cole out of action for much of the season, but he is confident of regaining fitness in time for the World Cup.

"I need a few more games to get full match fitness," he told BBC Five Live.

"I've had three starts for Arsenal and trained hard over the last week so hopefully I'll be alright for England."

Hargreaves fills in for first-choice right-back Gary Neville, while Jamie Carragher and Campbell pair up in central defence.

The five players on the stand-by list for England's World Cup squad - Phil Neville, Michael Dawson, Jermain Defoe, Andy Johnson and Scott Carson - all join Walcott, Green, Joe Cole and Wayne Bridge on the bench.

The game at Reading's 24,000-capacity Madejski Stadium is a sell-out.

England will play two more friendlies before their first World Cup game against Paraguay on 10 June.

Hungary visit Old Trafford on 30 May, with Jamaica to follow on 3 June.

England B: James (Man City), Hargreaves (Bayern Munich), A Cole (Arsenal), Carrick (Tottenham), Carragher (Liverpool), Campbell (Arsenal), Lennon (Tottenham), Jenas (Tottenham), Crouch (Liverpool), Owen (Newcastle), Downing (Middlesbrough).

Substitutes: Bridge (Chelsea), Green (Norwich), P Neville (Everton), Dawson (Tottenham), J Cole (Chelsea), Defoe (Tottenham), Johnson (Crystal Palace), Walcott (Arsenal), Carson (Liverpool).

Thats is a REAL GOOD ENGLAND B TEAM SQUAD... :o
« Last Edit: May 24, 2006, 09:45:45 AM by jimbo »
I an I iz u and u..seen

Offline Kenny

• New Warrior
  • T&TSC, Tartan Army branch
    • View Profile
    • Raskol Records
Re: Skipper Owen to start for England
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2006, 09:48:15 AM »
It doesn't really seem like a B team to me, it's more like a chance to look at some of the fringe players (Jenas, Hargreaves, etc) and to get some of the recently injured players (Cole, Owen, Campbell, etc) a chance to get some more match time under their belts.

Belarus are an OK team, especially if Hleb plays, but that England team should destrory them.

Offline jimbo

• I iz a Piper!
  • Jr. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Skipper Owen to start for England
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2006, 09:54:16 AM »
I would much prefer to see this England team come up at Trinidad without the likes of Gerrard,Terry and Lampard.. ;D
I an I iz u and u..seen

Offline jub02

• Hero Warrior
  • Mighty Arsenal & Newcastle .
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2006, 12:17:25 PM »
ok i will tell u who the english like on a whole to whole basis ( playin for england not for their club)
OWEN, Lampard, Wright phillips, Rooney, beckham, Ashley cole, Gerrard - his recent england performance hasnt been reeellli impressive..but he is still loved..this is his year i finkin

Offline trinidad badboy

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2006, 02:52:30 PM »

i fraid rooney more than owen. owen get 2 serious injurise he not that sound right now..

1]; } ?>