Sports > What about Track & Field

Coach: Brown, Burns fit and ready to run.

(1/1)

Flex:
Coach: Brown, Burns fit and ready to run...NAAA face Crawford track dilemma.
By: Kwame Laurence - T&T Express.

Darrel Brown's coach has dismissed speculation that injury has forced his 20-year-old charge to skip the May 7 and 8 Hampton International Games.
Speaking to the Express, yesterday, Henry Rolle declared that Brown is fit, and keen to step onto the track.
"Darrel is fine. He's healthy and training well. Last year's injury problems are now fully behind him."
The Trinidad and Tobago sprint star is likely to be in action on the weekend, at the Florida State Relays. Brown is listed to compete in the men's 4x100 metres relay. He will team up with compatriot Marc Burns and Bahamians Dominic Demeritte and Everette Fraser. Demeritte is the reigning 200 metres world indoor champion.
Brown's father, Winston Brown, told the Express that competing at the Hampton Games was not an option, since the Hasely Crawford Stadium track is not certified.
National Amateur Athletic Association (NAAA) secretary Alan Baboolal confirmed yesterday that the track is not certified by the IAAF (International Association of Athletics Federations), and never was.
In a letter to the NAAA, last month, John Regis expressed his concern.
"It has been brought to my attention that the track which will be used for the Trinidad and Tobago National Championships is not an IAAF certified track. This causes me great concern for the athletes I represent: Darrel Brown, Marc Burns, Nicconnor Alexander and Ato Modibo. Not only will their times not be recognised but competing on such a track could also hinder the athletes' insurance claims should any of them become injured.
"Please can you help to resolve the situation," the former British sprinter continued, "by either contacting an IAAF representative to come and inspect the track, or consider holding the National Championships elsewhere, as these athletes may be advised not to compete at the Championships by their insurers."
If the Ministry of Sport and Youth Affairs do not put things in place to ensure that the Hasely Crawford Stadium track is certified, ahead of the June 18 and 19 National Championships, the NAAA might well be forced to switch the meet to the Dwight Yorke Stadium, in Tobago. The Yorke Stadium track will be certified for the March 26-28 Carifta Games.
Rolle is hopeful that all the top T&T athletes will participate at the National Championships.
The Bahamian coach told the Express, yesterday, that Burns is fit and raring to go.
"Marc is great. He and Darrel are complementing each other. They're very focused, and taking one meet at a time."
Burns is scheduled to compete in the men's 200m event, at this weekend's Florida State Relays.
Rolle, who is part of the coaching staff at Auburn University, said he is "satisfied and happy" for Auburn senior Fana Ashby, the new NCAA Indoor Track and Field Championship women's 60m champion.
"Things didn't go too well for us at the Olympics, and Fana took a lot of criticism. But that's the time kids need someone in their corner. They were criticised and felt deserted. I told them, though, that Judas did it to Christ. While you're on top, everybody loves you, but when you're at the bottom... Fana was very hurt, so I'm very happy for her now.
"In 2003," Rolle continued, "Darrel got Worlds silver and broke the world junior record. But a year later, the kid was hurt, and what he saw was two different sides to individuals. The kid remembers that. Marc, too, didn't get the support after his false start at the Olympics. Jamaica's Asafa Powell got support from the JAAA, after his false start at the 2003 Worlds, and turned it around the following year."
Rolle said that Brown, Burns and Ashby are determined to atone for their Olympic disappointments.
"This should be a big year for each of these athletes."
Rolle is also expecting big things from Modibo and Auburn senior Damion Barry.
"Damion didn't make the Olympic team, so the idea this year is to get the World Championship 400 metres 'A' standard (45.55 seconds) out of the way early. I'm certain he can run 45.2, or faster.
"Modibo," Rolle continued, "gained a little weight in the gym, and his shins are a bit sore, but he'll be okay when he adjusts to the weight."

Savannah boy:
How de secretary get dat wuk?  If is de same person with de same name dat went to Saints, he had some serious problems with drugs before.  Seems like he is allright and he got his life together.  Good for him.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version