April 20, 2024, 09:04:11 AM

Author Topic: Warner slams $850m complex  (Read 4218 times)

Offline Kingk

• Hero Warrior
  • Warriors 4ever
    • View Profile
Warner slams $850m complex
« on: June 03, 2005, 12:06:48 AM »
BY YVONNE WEBB
guardian.co.tt

FIFA vice president Austin Jack Warner has slammed the Government’s decision to construct an $850 million sporting complex in his San Fernando East constituency at Tarouba.

Speaking at a UNC political meeting in Gasparillo, which borders Manning’s constituency, Warner said the money could be better spent on upgrading existing sporting facilities and constructing new ones in areas where none exist.

The business community and other private organisations have also chided Government for this grandiose plan.

Warner said in his time former prime minister Basdeo Panday, who is behind bars on a charge of corruption brought against him by the Anti Corruption Bureau, built four stadiums and was building a fifth, all at a cost of $425 million.

“Of the four he built, he did not build one in Couva North (Panday’s constituency). He built one in Arima—they never got a seat there, he build one in Tobago—he never got a seat there. He built one in San Fernando, and so on.

“But he build four for $425 million and Manning want to build one in San Fernando East for $850 million.”

He said with expected cost overruns that figure is likely to escalate to $1 billion.

Warner said Manning is making a similar mistake his predecessors made when they constructed the massive Mt Hope medical complex instead of building smaller ones in Mayaro, Point Fortin and Chaguanas.

“I tell you, Mr Manning is making the same error and building a massive, monstrous facility in Tarouba.

“We have four football stadium all over the country. If I were Mr Manning, I would have, of course, taken one of them, upgraded it of course for cricket, then I would build a facility in Point Fortin, fix Mahaica Oval, I would have built one in Rio Claro/Mayaro, I would have built one in Sangre Grande...I’ll build one of course in Penal/Debe and I would bring sporting facilities to the country.

“But Manning is spending $850 million to build a facility in San Fernando East, when they cannot even maintain those they have not.”

Warner said prior to the arrest and detention of his political leader, he was considering taking a class action suit against Manning “for spending our

money.”

Warner said Manning would be better advised to take some of the money and fix the escalator in the Hasely Crawford Stadium and update the dressing room and maintain some of the existing facilities.

Offline maxg

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Warner slams $850m complex
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2005, 02:50:28 AM »
Well done Jack...great stand..
I only hope they take heed and redirect these funds, and not proceed with pigheadedness or just drop the issue, for further "study".

Maybe someone can repost the link with the socawarriors discussion on this issue.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2005, 03:27:57 AM by maxg »

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 03:16:21 AM »
I second that!

Crazyness......what ah waste of cash. It is not often that I support the statements from the 'dubious' Mr Warner, but I must say he has absolutely correct with this issue. Hope its not another 'line meh pocket' scheme.

truetrini

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 03:37:20 AM »
check dis out.

de reason panday build in dem areas wey he eh have political clout is to get de people to say..." weget ting from he government...leh we vote fuh he."

Is all politics.

Look back at the history of the government's promises and see that a swimming complex was promised.

I do agree however that a better solution would be to upgrade existing facilities.

truetrini

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 03:39:06 AM »
additionally, Jack has no reason to blast hte government, especially when he beging dem fuh money to help de current campaign...lacks sensitivity and is counter productive.

he should give up his position in de ttff if he wants a career in politics.

Offline Jumbie

• ~~~ JUMBIE ~~~
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 05:47:58 AM »
Politricks aside.. (who build what or building what for votes).. Jack have a point.. the current facilities we have could use some upgrading and look after some of the other areas of TnT. Are our leaders blind and cannot see that we have a severe crime problem?

Offline Strip

• Sr. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2005, 05:54:05 AM »
What will building a 1 billion dollar facility in Tarouba accomplish? Maybe I missing something, but to me there isnt enough reason for the govt to spend that much paper on a new sporting facility there.

There are other more pressing issues facing the country that require funding and attention, so I agree with JW that if we have to spend money we could make more use of less money by upgrading our current stadiums.

As the calypso go - "the driver driving good, the country running smooth"

Offline KND

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2005, 06:10:09 AM »
Again I have to be againt warner.

he is trying to bring politrics into sports. Whether we have old facilities that need upgrading that is not the point.

It is better to close down and make new than try to fix old.

I am not sure what sporting facilities are needed and where but what I know is that we should not factor in any political parts into the decision.

We do need a sporting academy for all sports especially football so hopefully this 850M Complex will address the need.

It is nonsense to talk about put it here or put it there because in the grand scheme of things Trinidad and tobago is a small place 60 miles by 40 miles
Everywhere is close and accessable to everyone else in the country within reason.

It is not like he putting it in Texas and people living in New York.

One last thing

I glad the govt spending money on the sport.
Yes we have other areas that need money like health care education etc but sport need money too.

So I glad when we get it.

Say thank good we building a complex.

We should not fight this we should be happy.

Jack is ungrateful and want to be the only one in charge of everything.

Why dont we talk about the Center of Excellence that was built with FiFa and Govt money that is now virtually personnaly owned by him.
His Football Team virtually aquired a stadium, do they may rent to use it?

Coal Pot Cannot Call Kettle Black.

Please do not bring Politics into sports!

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2005, 06:37:21 AM »
Again I have to be againt warner.

he is trying to bring politrics into sports. Whether we have old facilities that need upgrading that is not the point.

It is better to close down and make new than try to fix old.

I am not sure what sporting facilities are needed and where but what I know is that we should not factor in any political parts into the decision.

We do need a sporting academy for all sports especially football so hopefully this 850M Complex will address the need.

It is nonsense to talk about put it here or put it there because in the grand scheme of things Trinidad and tobago is a small place 60 miles by 40 miles
Everywhere is close and accessable to everyone else in the country within reason.

It is not like he putting it in Texas and people living in New York.

One last thing

I glad the govt spending money on the sport.
Yes we have other areas that need money like health care education etc but sport need money too.

So I glad when we get it.

Say thank good we building a complex.

We should not fight this we should be happy.

Jack is ungrateful and want to be the only one in charge of everything.

Why dont we talk about the Center of Excellence that was built with FiFa and Govt money that is now virtually personnaly owned by him.
His Football Team virtually aquired a stadium, do they may rent to use it?

Coal Pot Cannot Call Kettle Black.

Please do not bring Politics into sports!

Some good points KND. Warner only talking because he eh getting a piece of the pie in that complex. However, I would rather see an investment in youth sport than an investment in a complex. Building the complex is one thing but upkeep, management etc is another set of expenses. Warner rightly said it small
facilities around the country, community owned and managed is probably a better way to go. Put half the money towards those type of complexes and the other half invest in the youth.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline Rodney

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2005, 08:32:02 AM »
Some good points KND. Warner only talking because he eh getting a piece of the pie in that complex. However, I would rather see an investment in youth sport than an investment in a complex. Building the complex is one thing but upkeep, management etc is another set of expenses. Warner rightly said it small
facilities around the country, community owned and managed is probably a better way to go. Put half the money towards those type of complexes and the other half invest in the youth.

That is the ting! yuh build big, yuh better be sure u have a long term budget set aside for maintainence and u truely commited  for the long term. I agree with KND about mixing politics and sport and I am certainly no fan of Jack Warner, but his points are quite valid in my opinion. Especially, as far as I can see, the party proposing this scheme has never really shown any great committment to sport in its current tenure. I am not against the plan itself, I just think the money could be spent in better ways, that would have a more immediate impact on the country's sportsmen and women. Big projects, especially in a place like T&T, tend to drag on and inevitably run over budget.

Offline Coop's

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2005, 08:36:54 AM »
I've made my stand on this issue already and respect everyone's views but don't matter how you look at it which sport don't have politics?in this day no one does anything for nothing else they will not do it,just remember Jack controls Football in this country and no government could take that away from him.

Offline Observer

• Hero Warrior
  • The best gift for a footballer is Intelligence ---
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2005, 08:53:01 AM »
The fact about politics is that it is all linked to "promises" Every party is backed by $$$ from private peoples, who want pay back once the Party is in power. There is big money in the construction, business and huge payoffs & spinoffs. Just look back and see there was always controversy The Texaco refinery, twin towers, mount hope, Race Track, Airport and now Sport complex. Let us not be so naive. People in politics are there for the short term and throughout our independent history, they dipping and becoming rich in that 4 year span. No Party none invest in anything long term, because the gains will not be there for the picking for them. Sad but true.
To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead
                                              Thomas Paine

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2005, 08:54:03 AM »
De Government is NOT in de business of sport management.  It is not dem mandate to ensure that various sporting associations develop dey youth and properly run etc.

What Government IS interested in is VOTES and providing some sort of employment for the overall well being of it's citizens.

To this end, when Governments decide to build stadia, is not jes de political mileage dey get out of buildin stadia, but also de jobs generated in such a large undertaking.  Anybody who do economics will tell yuh dat construction is one way to boost yuh economy.

De amounta jobs and spinoffs dat will be generated by buildin dis facility is more dan any UTEP or similar initiative Govt could implement.  Yes, is fuh a short time but Government in power fuh about 4 years so dem lookin at it from dat standpoint.

Observer right.  Jack vex because 850 million goin into a stadium of dat magnitude and he eh seein a cent.  Jack make some valid points but is self same Jack who build 5 stadium in T&T wit taxpayers money and get he klickbacks accordingly.  

De issue of where de stadium buildin is pure politics.  Dat area does not have de population density to support and sustain stadia of that planned magnitude, but....we shall see what de outcome is.
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2005, 09:15:58 AM »
Does FIFA permit its presidents  to have aN ALLIANCE with political parties
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline palos

• Hero Warrior
  • Test
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2005, 09:27:16 AM »
Does FIFA permit its presidents  to have aN ALLIANCE with political parties

GO HERE...LOOK IT UP
Carlos "The Rolls Royce" Edwards

truetrini

« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2005, 09:36:36 AM »
palso yuh trying to kill meh we

Offline Touches

• Hero Warrior
  • Trow wine on she...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2005, 10:21:38 AM »
I want alyuh click on the Tread that Maxg Post on this topic.

Nobody in TT want this stadium.

The 850 million plus bribe and friendship money could go toward so many other things.

They play cricket in all the stadiums.they put down a artificial wicket in the middle and have night games in each one.

All the rest of Stadiums are being used for fete match and pfl games and people sports day.

Tarouba was in the news this week.....plenty crime down there and some of the residents say they ent want no Stadium there.

Some say they want it so the youths in the area will get a wuk..But we know how these things operate.

No youths in the area getting wuk, it the contractors bringing he own staff and the rest of jobs go to the URP and CPep gangs in exchange for votes and gun.

Political tool is all this is.

Too many other things to fix and establish instead of another stadium.

Also the ones on the board who are proponents of this stadia living in Foreign and doe know the horrors down here or how Bad things change up over the last few years.

The Murder rate is now one a day and it happening everywhere.....Imagine if I didnt go to buy my Warriors ticket at 8 and went at 11 instead I woulda see a murder right there in the same KFC carpark.

We have a vision for 2020 but there might not be any citizens left when that time come around.

2020 what a bullshit phrase that politicians keep slinging about the place.

A for apple, B for Bat, C for yuhself!

Offline Trini _2026

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2005, 11:46:53 AM »
Palos and truetrini we better eh meet cause boy....................
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/sh8SeGmzai4</a>

Offline davidephraim

• Do Good and Live!!
  • Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2005, 12:08:52 PM »
Touch dem Touches...
Warren N. Boucaud

Offline sub1

• Hero Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2005, 01:56:48 PM »
Is this the same JW who fight down Arthur Suite and made him persona non grata for having the forsight to start a pro league without Jack getting his share? Pulleeeese people, if by now yo dont know, when it comes to corruption, that Jack only alignes himself with the best you dont know Jack.

Panday and Jack built 4 stadia for $425 million and none aint worth the paper that was signed to build them. Who do you think benefitted the most from the building of these stadia?

$850 million is not the cost of a one and done stadium. It will house possibly the best and most modern cricket facilities in the caribbean. Need I remind you that there are cricketers in T&T also and also right now we boast of the best batsman in the world. Olympic size pool and facilities to produce the next Bovell. Is there not also to an Academy for the gifted so that they can receive a proper education and their skills properly honed?

Since Jack has such great advice why didnt he renovate and upgrade  Mahaica Oval, Skinner Park, the arima Velodrome and Shaw Park for the his U 17 WC.

Jack is quick to run his mouth but fails to realise that he has the anti-midas touch. In my last post on this matter I said that many here are quick to point out how far a school teacher reach but still unwilling to ackowledge what and how he did to reach there.

I say build the the stadium and provide jobs for those in need also. There are very few things that JW says when it comes to sports or money that i agree with. For when you look at both he is a failure in sports administration re T&T...and with money....well those close to him are forever under some investigation.

Many may say he is successful and I say that he is a failure. Failures should not be looked at for advice.

Offline concerned

• Full Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2005, 02:35:51 PM »
 ;D

Take some(5%) of that money and pay Leo and the Boys for the next four years... so we can build a proper team, develop the youth etc ect... have some decent practise matches etc etc....dat will go a longer way ...

1]; } ?>